Dundee Backpackers Hostel Reviews

71 High Street, Dundee, Scotland

Everything s excellent as always. Deduct some points from the coverage of wifi, should be all around!

Amazing hostel, staff are lovely and friendly. All the facilities you require, with clean and warm rooms. Would recommend to anyone! :)

• 23rd Jan 2016
  • Switzerland

Great friendly staff, they kindly imparted their local knowledge. If igo back to Dundee I'd happily stay there again.

I found the room quirky and unusual with the only downfalls being these. 1. No lift and I have fibromyalgia so climbing 3 flights was difficult. 2. The bed sheets were a bit uncomfortable and getting onto a raised bed with no step was a challenge. 3. No wifi in the rooms so have to go down 2 flights to access internet with no noticeable charging points for the laptop and back up 2 flights to go to my room and charge equipment. Place however was relaxing and friendly.

• 18th Jan 2016
  • Scotland

Thank you for staying with us and your input, however issues with the room could have been easily remedied if you'd only let front desk staff know about your problems. We would be happy to move you into another room without a raised bed and on a lower floor. Also, area with internet access has plenty of sockets you could have used. Hope to have you staying with us again in the future.

Boys in the next room were far too loud and wouldn't be quiet when asked. Obviously there were no staff around to complain. Was kept awake. Also confused as to why my room had two beds when I booked a single- I would have split the price with someone if I had known. Needed more milk for coffees and teas, and also tried to get out of the room to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, and an alarm went off!!! I needed to go so badly but didn't know if my room would lock me out, so couldn't

• 16th Jan 2016
  • Scotland

Thanks for staying with us. You booked a single room and we thought it would be a nice touch if we'd upgrade you to a more spacious twin room. And that's what we did. At no extra cost. You couldn't have split the price with someone else since you've been charged for a single room suitable for one person. Sadly, we can't control fire alarms which alarm us to a potential fire threat. Luckily this time it was a false alarm and we managed to resolve it without evacuating the building.

Desk staff not please tell at all

• 15th Jan 2016

Nice friendly place and compares well with budget hotel/B&B. Kitchen facilities save money on meals. Happy not to have a TV in the room though wifi in my room (not just in the Games Room would have been welcome.

• 12th Jan 2016

The Dundee backpackers is the best hostel I have stayed so far. The rooms are clean, spacious, fully renovated and decorated with taste, without betraying the Scottish aesthetic touch ! It is a home away from home. The staff is friendly and very helpful. The kitchen and the other communal areas are spotless. People here are always doing their best to provide an excellent service at anytime of the day. Special thanks to the manager and the assistant manager who are doing a great job.

• 11th Jan 2016

The room was nice.we got a free upgrade to an ensuite. When we got home my husband that during the in bed he was removing back hairs from his pillow while trying to sleep.he has blond hair.why he never anything while we were there I don't know as I would've mentioned it to reception.other than that all the stairs we had to climb to get to the room kept us fit so we got plenty of exercise as the room was in the garret.great view though a.great for people watching.

• 19th Dec 2015
  • Scotland

I had an ensuite room up the top that used to be a bagpipe makers workshop, up a stone spiral staircase. It was both unique - a raised bed platform; and ancient, as befits one of Dundee's oldest buildings. Amazing architect conversion of a 1521 close. I'll definitely be back to stay

• 18th Dec 2015

Little soundproofing combined with the location near a church that had LOUD bells for half an hour on a Sunday. The windows were quite thin so noise from outside was inside all the time. Very very central location but could do with better soundproofing.

• 5th Dec 2015
  • Scotland

Lovely huge hostel in excellent location. Only downside is wifi only works on one area. Will definatley return.

• 28th Nov 2015

A really good hostel, but - and it's a big but - the kitchen is dirty and dishes left despite notices that residents should clear away after themselves. I had to clean down the surfaces and cooker before I could start to prepare a meal. So poor on that score - which is down to those who stay there!! For the amount of rooms I also think the kitchen isn't adequate. Another kitchen needed elsewhere in the building - convert one of the sitting rooms?

• 26th Nov 2015

My main concern with the Hostel is the Kitchen - people leave dishes and pots lying around either not washed in the sink or leave them lying on the draining area. Not enough CLEAN tea towels and dishcloths for use and some new Cups are needed as most were stained and chipped.

Despite being 4 hours late on arrival, reception had held my reservation which was great of them. My room & bed was very warm and comfortable. The location is excellent as I arrived by train. Shower & bathroom facilities (shared) was very clean. I have stayed here before and will again, hopefully soon.

I live outside of Dundee but often have events there so I stay at the hostel at least once or twice a month. It is always a pleasure and the staff are very friendly, the rooms are clean and spacious and the prices are very reasonable. I would and do recommend it to my anyone.

Stayed in a twin room with private bathroom. The room is super spacious and the bathroom is clean. Lounge area and kitchen is also clean. I'd definitely choose this hostel again should i re-visit Dundee.

• 13th Nov 2015
  • Hong Kong

the premises are overall good and quite modern. The place and the room are clean. However, during the night at least two of the rooms were occupied with irresponsible customers that decided to have room parties.......his went on for most of the night and there was no staff at the reception to complain to....For a bit more of you could have a room at travelodge and have your piece of mind during the night

Great hostel, staff were very friendly and helpful with my early check out. It's in a brilliant location, right in the centre of town. Kitchen has everything you need, lounge was a great place to chill out and chat. Will definitely be coming back :)

I would have preferred if there was Internet in the room. The atmosphere wasn't amazing simply because weren't many people staying at time.

• 3rd Nov 2015