Dundee Backpackers Hostel Reviews

71 High Street, Dundee, Scotland

Great location in the centre of town. The guy on reception was lovely and offered to move me into my own room when two old guys booked into the one I was originally staying in. Showers on one side of the building weren't working but it wasn't too far to get to one that did work. Had a great time in Dundee seeing the sights and meeting the locals, would highly recommend it!

Thus is a lovingly restored old building in Dundee in a fantastic central location. What let it down massively is that it was visibly dirty, it was very obvious it had not been cleaned thoroughly for a considerable amount of time. Which I felt was a great shame as millions has obviously been spent restoring this fantastic building and it is not being properly maintained. It badly needed painting in the bedroom/bathroom and there were bashes in the walls bits and of plaster missing.

• 21st Nov 2014
  • Scotland

We had a great stay at the Dundee Backpackers Hostel. The emplyees were friendly and helpful. Our room was clean and well equipped. The kitchen is great for cooking and there are big community rooms. The Hostel is located perfect. It is directly in the city centre. W-Lan access is very complicated.

A nice hostel in the very center of the city! Good atmosphere, kitchen open to the clients and many common spaces.

This was a really good hostel. The location was great, situated right in the middle of town, a short walk from all the important landmarks, Dundee being not very big. The facilities were great. And the place was HUGE. Bigger than I expected. It was in a historical building so you get a feel of the old architecture. There was a huge games room that had a pool table, table tennis, etc. Too bad you could only get Wifi in this area. I would definitely come back here to stay or recommend this hostel.

The staff was very nice and quite available. The room was quiet, and we can come and go as we want. However, my private room was small and poorly located. The door wasn't adapted (huge gap beneath it).

• 30th Oct 2014

It was very lovely hostel. But they need a bit polish it up, like as put new blind on the window (one room I stayed in, broke which I can't sleep proper when the light/bright come out, and also toilet/shower room need fix the flush & toilet roll holder.)

• 27th Oct 2014
  • Scotland

Clean, tidy, surprisingly spacious! Right in the centre of Dundee! Definitely would recommend this!!

• 18th Oct 2014

Just Grear

• 16th Oct 2014

What a lovely place. Staff were really helpful, rooms comfortable, kitchen clean and well equipped. The architecture makes the Hostel a unique, quirky and very interesting place to stay.

Managing staff couldn't be more helpful. Great stay.

• 14th Oct 2014

It was a beautiful experience, to be in such an historic place, and wonderfully located in city centre

• 10th Oct 2014

Staff were excellent and very welcoming. The room was very clean and a great size. We were only there overnight so did not get to experience to much of the atmosphere. We enjoyed the stay.

• 5th Oct 2014

During my stay in October 2014, the place was well kept and cleaned regurlarly. It was already cold outside in Dundee but you could turn the heater of the room on and I got cozy quickly (6 bed dorm ensuite). Beds are clean and well provided with pillow, downie and linen. They were wooden beds, so they not as squeaky as metal bunk ones. Kitchen was also spacious and provided to cook almos anything. The only thing I missed was to have more wifi areas. Cheers!

A great location, only stopped one night but will be stopping again.

• 1st Oct 2014

Very nice hostel, had a very pleasant stay. However, we were glad we weren't there during a weekend as noice travelled from the square into the room very easily. Otherwise it felt like we were in a hotel.

It was a lovely room.

I've enjoyed the atmosphere.

• 18th Sep 2014
  • South Africa

I enjoyed my stay here, it's a beautiful location, the room was quite spacious, the bed very comfortable and en suite bathroom clean and well functioning. My only complaint was about the standard of cleanliness. There were finger and hand marks on the walls from previous inhabitants, and the carpet had not been cleaned, and this almost spoilt what was otherwise a very enjoyable stay. Particular thanks to the staff, who were friendly, helpful and very efficient - well done!

• 18th Sep 2014
  • Scotland

When I got to the hostel the computer was down, but I was allowed to leave my luggage at reception. The man behind reception was very friendly and funny (stocky bald guy). Plenty of utensils and lots of amenities (games room, lounge, reading room). Nice bedroom which were not packed with beds. Key cards for bedrooms which felt secure.

• 16th Sep 2014