Duo Housing DC Reviews

1223 11th St NW, Washington DC, USA

I spend just one night in the hostel and the experience wasn't good!! so crowded just puncakes for breakfast (plastic plates and a big bottle of cirup to share that's it). No maps of the city and and an horrible no shoes policy in the hostel. The stuff....they shoul more friendly.

The place was in a pretty good location, and not far from the metro, which was nice. The best part about the hostel was their customer service. I had to change our reservation about 3 times and they were always on the ball, and very quick to answer any questions or concerns.

• 9th Jun 2015

The room was dirty. The breakfast was Just some pankakes and nothing more (like coffe, Milk, bread...). You can't use your shoes inside, so you have to put your feet in the not so clean flor and in the bethroom... I can't belive Thatcher has such a good avaliable in hostel world

• 9th Jun 2015

2 bathrooms for 16 people and showers limited to 10 minutes... Kitchen adequate but lacking in room, AC not working and water drips from ceiling when toilet flushed.

• 6th Jun 2015

Despite wording on the Duo Housing website that after taking a deposit, the balance would be due "upon arrival," they instead took the whole 5 days worth from my credit card upon registration. Since this seemed unauthorized, I blocked the charge. Straightening this out wasted a lot of time.

• 5th Jun 2015

The no shoe rule was something I did find very strange; on arrival you enter this strange smelling room which they try and mask, but basically just smells of feet, which isn't the nicest smell. Being a hostel they tried to make it homely, but I personally thought they tried so hard to make it feel like a home, that you actually feel slightly uncomfortable, as if you are actually invading some body else's house. I like hostels, but there is little room for personal space, wouldn't stay again.

• 2nd Jun 2015

I stayed here for 3 days. Location was excellent, you can walk to the National Mall in 15 mins and downtown in 10 mins. Subway station was only 2 blocks away, a 5 mins walk. If you love coffee La Colomba is just one block away. This hostel is clean. Staff is helpful and people who stay there are also friend. Overall, it is a pleasant stay. If I come back to DC I will definitely stay here again and will recommend to friends.

• 2nd Jun 2015

Good place to stay and meet people. The staff is great.

A great place to meet fellow travellers. Air-conditioning is quite problematic though. It was too weak. Conveniently located that you can go to the museum district in walkable distance. Staff are friendly and helpful.

• 1st Jun 2015
  • Hong Kong

I am not a hostel expert, but i have seen a pretty good cross section of what they can be. The hostel was clean and the security was higher than I'm used to, but the staff was distinctly distant and the atmosphere fostered as much amongst the guests. We were never once asked what are plans were in dc or given an indication that a member of the staff could advise us on the city. The inside felt sterile and unwelcoming to guests. I'm an American and this was a disappointing first us hostel.

• 1st Jun 2015

The wide variety of people that this hostel attracts makes for an amazing experience!

• 31st May 2015

i enjoy staying at duo hostle

My major issue was that some of the staff weren't too friendly. There was a blonde guy though who was very nice and I thought he went out of his way to ensure I had a good experience. The free pancakes every morning were also great & the proximity of the hostel to so many sights and attractions was phenomenal. Some guests were friendly, while some weren't, but you're likely to find people to talk to. Overall an ok hostel, but if you're looking for one just because of its location then this is it

• 30th May 2015

The staff were young acting adults! They were rude and condes. They treated two doctoral students like they were idiots because of their thick accents. The place smelled horrible and was not clean. The refrigerators were squalid. Thw shade in the ladies toilet area was broken leaving views for anyone outback to see into the bathroom. There were big storms while i was there and flooded the basement room I was staying in. They put a few bath mats on the floor to help, however it was flooded!

• 30th May 2015

It couldnt have been any better. Especially the blonde skinny guy that works there from North Carolina was especially kind and friendly during the graveyard shift.

• 29th May 2015
  • Japan

The staff with the half-bald, half-shaved head and glasses needs to step it up. I asked him a question and he just looked up from his phone, stared blankly at me, shook his head no, then went back to his phone. I could have gotten a more decent response from a random person on the street. Other staff were fine but this dude just brought down my general impression of Duo a lot.

Very bad experience.

I really liked staying at DUO Housing in DC! The location was great, the staff members friendly and helpful and the bed was really comfy. However I have two small things I didn't like: That the rooftop terrace was closed at 10pm and that you weren't allowed to drink after 10pm as well. I know why both of these rules exist, but I felt that it would've been a better idea to punish people that are too loud on the terrace/drink excessively instead of prematurely punishing everybody.

awesome staff, pancakes for breakfast :)

Very Welcoming! Staff friendly & full of info, they even accompany you taking you to the party places in town. Nice smoking deck, met a lot of people there. Rooms clean & neat and wifi always fast & working. clean Kitchen, clean Restrooms - good vibe! Highly Recommend Duo Housing!

View all Washington DC Hostels