Duo Housing DC Reviews

1223 11th St NW, Washington DC, USA

The hostel had just opened a new building. It was nice but the living room/common area was cold all the time. Also, the showers did not have any hot water. The staff was nice and the hostel was nice but overall I would not stay there again or refer to a friend.

Very noisy. 2 of my 4 nights people came in and were very loud from 3 to about 4 am

• 28th Mar 2015

We stayed in the newer, supposedly more deluxe, second building of the hostel which was overall was pretty nice, but there are only two bathrooms shared between the 20+ beds in the building. They aren't separate toilet and showers either, so if two people are taking a shower, you need to go next door to the other building to go to the toilet. The Wifi is terrible, it barely works, which sounds like a whinge but when you are traveling you rely heavily on it. The place is good, but needs some work

• 26th Mar 2015

The hostel was comfortable. I love that nobody is allowed to wear shoes indoor because it meant the inside was cleaner. The people that came through were nice, and the staff was friendly as well.

• 26th Mar 2015

I was here for a couple of nights and had an awesome time! The staff are super helpful and awesome and the other guests were great! They make pancakes every morning which are delicious :) The hostel is right between the touristy things like the white house, and U street/14th st which have great bars and cafes! I would definitely stay here again next time I go to DC

• 26th Mar 2015

A good location for its price. Well appointed and good Wi-Fi. There is no lock to the room so open to access from all in the hostel, especially since there is no lockers for bags. Only 2 bathrooms for 20 people, so you do have to wait even just to wash your face. Shoes off policy not great, they should provide slippers in return. No individual night lights or powerpoint like other top hostels have. No filtered drinking water. Not as good as the rating it has, but a good place to stay anyway.

The staff was great, but the location was prime. The hostel is totally a walkable distance to the mall, and the neighborhood feels very safe. I appreciated the diversity of the people staying there, and that this is definitely not a party hostel. I'll echo the sentiments of some other reviewers: come prepared with ear plugs or headphones. Each night there was someone in the mixed form that snored; it just comes with the territory of sharing space. All the travelers were otherwise polite.

• 23rd Mar 2015

Duo housing isn't bad...it's just not very good either. Location is pretty good, and security is pretty good. Staff were generally pretty helpful. Other things were less good - only two bathroom/toilets for 20 people meant there were always lines in the morning and one of the bathrooms only gave a cold shower. The little things that good hostels do weren't there - e.g. no reading lights in dorms, no lockers in the building we stayed in, and no locks provided/available to rent at all.

• 23rd Mar 2015
  • New Zealand

Nice hostel in a pretty good location with friendly and helpful stuff. Seems to be a pretty busy place so if you are a light sleeper like me then it might be a little too noisy and difficult to sleep, but that is to be expected in a dorm so can't complain much about that.

• 22nd Mar 2015

They were so friendly and helpful.

• 22nd Mar 2015
  • Iraq

With all the posted strictures and notices everywhere at Duo Housing, you'd expect the place to be cleaner. But apparently the joint doesn't practice what it preaches -- er, nags about. I used the toilet with trepidation that I would somehow transgress the order not to clog it and thus be levied the threatened $1,000 fine. It'd be a cold day in hell before I would stay at this dump again.

Nice & friendly staff

Very good stay in D.C. Duohostel staff were all very friendly and chatty and were really encaging to all guests. Every morning pancakes and the Sunday BBQ ( very tasty!) were good ways of getting people together for general banter and few beers. Staff was really helpful with finding best ideas for tourism as well and was surprised how much DC had to offer! . If was to go to DC again, would stay with these guys! :)

Got my phone stolen :/

The hostel was pretty good overall, pancakes for breakfast, friendly people, comfy lounge with cable TV. Not enough bathrooms (1 per floor of 8 people in the location two doors down), and there was never any hot water- cold showers in DC in March not recommended!

Everything was great and there was food which is always awesome!! :)

• 19th Mar 2015

I booked 3 nights. Duo Hostel messed up my reservation and when I came back to the hostel at the second night I was surprised that another person was in my bed. They could not reallocate me and I needed to go to the airport to wait almost a full day. Couple of friends are going to Washington DC in May, and my first recommendation will be to stay away from this hostel. This huge error in my reservation ruined my trip to DC.

• 19th Mar 2015

Really cool staff, had fun going out at nights with a group the staff got together. it had a great atmosphere and was comfortable. I'll definitely stay there if I go back to DC

• 18th Mar 2015

Everything is good (cleanliness is top-notch because the staff will even let you take off your shoes before you enter the hostel) except for the shower, where only tepid water is available. In winter this can be annoying,

College spring break. As a single backpacker I stayed in duo housing for 1 night... Met a bunch of cool guys!!! We even hung out to a bar to celebrate a girl's birthday. Soooo unforgettable and how I wish I could have stayed there a little longer! Almost everything here is perfect!

• 17th Mar 2015