Dusky Lodge Reviews

67 Beach Rd, Kaikoura, New Zealand

I recommend this backpacker. The bonus are the pool and spa (plus the free breakfast). My stay was in winter and so the pool was empty, but not the spa, and it was very good to enjoy it after carrying my luggage all the day long :)

The Sauna and the Spa Pool were great! But the lady at the reception was sometimes a bit unfreindly and she doesn't seem like she likes her job very much...a small breakfast in the morning was also nice :-)

Booked a 4 person room only to arrive at the hostel to be booked in to a 6 person room. There were 4 of us and the receptionist said that there was no price difference between the rooms, hence, we should be okay with staying in a 6 person room. We tried to reason with her but after much deliberation her response was merely, ''no I don't understand your problem at all'. She was rude, impatient and the rooms were freezing at night. Don't stay here, you'll probably find a better deal elsewhere.

One of the best hostels I've ever stayed. And by far the best in Kaikoura!

Nice facilities with two big kitchens. Staff was very nice.

it need a refurbishment and better maintenance

Very basic hostel. Beds nice, kitchen nice but not very clean. No lockers (biggest minus).

• 19th Apr 2015
  • Finland

The kitchen didn't feel the cleanest, but it was well equipped and big enough for multiple people to be cooking at once. Also, I left the hostel really early in the morning (it was still dark) and the main door had been left open.

I stopped in the 10 bed dorm. For the price I wasn't expecting luxury and good job too! The room absolutely stank of damp clothes and smelly feet. The bathroom was a state and not clean at all, flooded once having a shower so that if you needed to go to the toilet, you'd either need to go bare foot or hire a boat! Atmosphere wasn't to my taste, appeared to be a lot of long-termers that took over the place. The one redeeming feature about this hostel was the staff member I met,very friendly.

Nice, affordable, backpacker accommodation. Private room with en suite was big, bright, clean and comfortable. The check in desk/lobby area gave the impression that it might be very basic accommodation, but our room was a lot nicer. We didn't have time to use the other facilities.

We really enjoyed our two nights’ stay at this hostel. At arrival, there was an issue with our booking but it was solved very quickly by the staff who let us stay in a private instead. Very nice service. The rooms are clean and spacious and the hostel itself has a very homey feeling to it. We also met a bunch of cool people there. The location is good, with just a five minute walk to town. Would definitely stay again. Very clean and really nice staff!

Really nice atmosphere with seating area's with kitchens facing the sunset over the mountains. Major drawback where the lousy beds and the ventilation that made too much noise during the nights.

Wonderful cozy lodge with a nice staff. Very clean but I was in a private room.

浴室的排水設備不好,排水孔堵住排水不加,導致邊洗澡水就淹過腳底了 棉被與枕頭有異味⋯⋯

Very bad value for the money I paid. Staff was very rude to us and basically kicked us out mid-breakfast because we were half an hour over check out time (eventough we cleared the room and put the luggage in the car). We were asked to leave the property immediately...and we'll never return!

Great night here. Made full use of facilities - BBQ, pool, hot tub. Damo who checked us in was really helpful. Bathrooms and kitchens could use a clean. Plenty of atmosphere. Would stay again.

very friendly staff and place, sauna and spa excellent, will come back

• 24th Feb 2015

amazing atmosphere, very spacious halls, kitchen..lots of space in the fridge :) very clean! all in all we had a great night :) one disadvantage is that there isn't free internet...

Nice hostel, rooms were spacious and clean. Only downside was the en suite bathroom smelt really damp and as soon as someone had a shower whole floor was really wet.

A lot of flies in this hostel. It is been cleaned while people are having breakfast at 9.30. Not the best time i guess.