Dyeing and Hostel Nakashimaya Reviews

2-11-6 shinmati kumamoto-city, Kumamoto Shi, Japan

I have stayed in loads of hostels across the world, from Canada to New Zealand, and Nakashimaya was, hands down, one of the best I have ever stayed in. The lobby, the kitchen, the bathrooms, the living room, all flawlessly clean and tastefully decorated. (The foyer had box-lamp aquariums full of goldfish for example) I stayed in the four person private room, we each had our own trunk and double-padded futon in a very comfortable room. Highly recommend.

• 2nd May 2015

Excellent hostel. Not for the rowdy type, but very clean and very hospitable. Worth visiting just because it's so unique. Towels, soap and toothpaste available for cheap. Highly recommend.

I stayed one night here but had a great experience. Very helpful staff gave me a map and highlights around Kumamoto, plus help for the best way to get to Aso. Nice kitchen for guest use but small common room. Bathroom a little far from dorm but the traditional Japanese style dorm was fun for a night. Great location halfway between JR station and the center of the city/the castle. Small hostel but nice.

Best hostel that I have stayed at in Japan. Highly recommended. Staff are amazing and the place is so nice and clean.

The only reason this place didn't get a perfect is that shampoo and soap don't come free (but they're super cheap), and the rooms are pretty tiny. Other than that it's a beautiful place, well located, very clean and pretty, and Nakashima san was very kind.

extremely clean and comfortable hostel, a good distance from the train station and the other attractions, love the decor and staff

The best and prettiest hostel I have ever been to. If there is an available room in Nakashimaya, just stay here.

I have stayed in over 50 hostels in Japan and this tops them all. Of course, tatami mattress beds aren't the most private, but in terms of being traditional & practical, it works. Great decor and open spaces, a free massage chair, helpful staff and the fun quirk of having a dyeing facility you can use! The only downside is the wifi is a bit shaky in the bedrooms.

• 18th Mar 2015

Is a great hostel, friendly atmosphere, great location and friendly staff!

We stayed only one night but we had a nice stay at this hostel. We arrived after the check-in time but the personal was nice and wait for us until 9:30 pm. The hostel is well located and it's a mix between traditional and modern house. We slept in a traditional japanese room with futons it was small but it was okay for one night and we had storage to put our stuff. The view from the roof is good to see the castle even by night!

• 4th Mar 2015

This is a traditional Japanese Guest House. It is one of the better place that I stayed in while in Japan

Seriously the prettiest hostel I've seen in Japan. Nice massage chair in the common room was just what I had needed. Perfect place, futon in my single room was very comfortable. the only bitter I'm pill: 1.70m, and I fitted just perfectly,but if you're a "tall" traveller and 1.80m or above, email them in advance and inquire whether the single rooms are large enough for you

Hands down nicest hostel I've stayed in in Japan. Fantastic place, great rooftop views lovely staff, biggest TV you've ever seen, close to attractions. 10/10 would stay in again.

GREAT hostel, great atmosphere and sense for detail. Convenient location between bus and train stations.

The staff was very friendly, the whole hostel was very clean and I liked the familiar atmosphere.

By far the nicest hostel I've stayed at in Japan. Comfiest beds, nice rooftop and great location :) thank you

This is the cleanest, nicest hostel I have ever been to. Came here on a recommendation of a friend and loved it! If you get the chance, definitely take the shibori class, it is a really unique and wonderful experience. The storage chests are a bit small for the average backpacker but on the whole this place is amazing! Plus Kumamoto is beautiful!!

I'd stay here again and recommend it for anybody.

View all Kumamoto Shi Hostels