Dyeing and Hostel Nakashimaya Reviews

2-11-6 shinmati kumamoto-city, Kumamoto Shi, Japan

Gorgeous little hostel just a 5/10 minute walk from the action under the covered street! Super clean! And friendly staff!

Excellent!!

Staying in a traditional tatami room was a wonderful experience and I would recommend this hostel to anyone. The staff are extremely friendly and the decoration of the whole hostel made you feel that you were staying in a traditional Japanese house. The location is a bit out of the way from the Kumamoto train line (especially if you have luggage), but it is easy to access downtown Kumamoto and Kumamoto castle from this location.

A special hostel with a Japanese atmosphere. I'd definitely stay there again if I had a chance. A nice common room.

Very good ! Free massage chair, manga and enormous TV in the common area. Traditional tatami room the sleeping area. Loved the traditional decor and atmosphere. However they supply free soaps which is a pain for any traveler. Very good vending machine in kitchen, supplying cup noodles, andtasty drinks including alcohol . Staff were so nice and friendly . I did some dyeing which was such an awesome experience, especially as I couldn't really do much anyway due to bad weather .

This hostel is a great base for a two night stay in Kumamoto. Well located; most things easily walk-able and a tram station right nearby for things a little further away. The washrooms were nice, with fairly spacious shower stalls with a changing area. Nice fixtures and decorating throughout. Staff were very friendly and welcoming and spoke fluent English. One thing is the rooms are extremely tight, with no floor space when the mattresses are out. However, overall a good value and experience!

Staff is very nice and helpful Decoration and facilities are great!

I expect to pay much more for the quality of this hostel. The location isn't good, quite far away from the attractions, but not bad, we can get on the train near the hostel. The hostel have everything you need, drinks, foods, soap, shampoo, towel and razor (for sell). The staff are very friendly. The room are nice. Next time, I will definitely choose Dyeing and Hostel Nakashimaya again.

Definitely 100%! The owner is fantastic and it's really good value for money - you won't find a better guesthouse in Kumamoto. If I come back, I will definitely stay here again

Nice friendly kind owner. He's very fluent english speaker. I stayed private single room. It was smaller than I thought, but wasn't a big deal. Maybe the location could be matter. But Kumamoto, it's tiny city so it couldn't be a big problem.

The place is really cute. Looks kind of like a ryokan, and is well-decorated. The owner is wonderfully friendly and helpful. Ask him about places to eat baniku and other kyodo ryori. Right next to a tram stop for convenience, but is a walk, though a short walk, from Kumamoto station. If you're going to Kumamoto, though, I would highly recommend this place.

I have stayed in loads of hostels across the world, from Canada to New Zealand, and Nakashimaya was, hands down, one of the best I have ever stayed in. The lobby, the kitchen, the bathrooms, the living room, all flawlessly clean and tastefully decorated. (The foyer had box-lamp aquariums full of goldfish for example) I stayed in the four person private room, we each had our own trunk and double-padded futon in a very comfortable room. Highly recommend.

• 2nd May 2015

Excellent hostel. Not for the rowdy type, but very clean and very hospitable. Worth visiting just because it's so unique. Towels, soap and toothpaste available for cheap. Highly recommend.

I stayed one night here but had a great experience. Very helpful staff gave me a map and highlights around Kumamoto, plus help for the best way to get to Aso. Nice kitchen for guest use but small common room. Bathroom a little far from dorm but the traditional Japanese style dorm was fun for a night. Great location halfway between JR station and the center of the city/the castle. Small hostel but nice.

Best hostel that I have stayed at in Japan. Highly recommended. Staff are amazing and the place is so nice and clean.

The only reason this place didn't get a perfect is that shampoo and soap don't come free (but they're super cheap), and the rooms are pretty tiny. Other than that it's a beautiful place, well located, very clean and pretty, and Nakashima san was very kind.

extremely clean and comfortable hostel, a good distance from the train station and the other attractions, love the decor and staff

The best and prettiest hostel I have ever been to. If there is an available room in Nakashimaya, just stay here.

I have stayed in over 50 hostels in Japan and this tops them all. Of course, tatami mattress beds aren't the most private, but in terms of being traditional & practical, it works. Great decor and open spaces, a free massage chair, helpful staff and the fun quirk of having a dyeing facility you can use! The only downside is the wifi is a bit shaky in the bedrooms.

• 18th Mar 2015

Is a great hostel, friendly atmosphere, great location and friendly staff!

View all Kumamoto Shi Hostels