Ecomama Reviews

Valkenburgerstraat 124, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Where to even start with Ecomama...This hostel is possibly one of the best I've ever seen. Stayed here for 2 nights in a 5 bed dorm. The staff are excellent,Craig Checked us in and has an unbelievable knowledge of Amsterdam. Cooked dinner in the hostel, it's the best kitchen I've seen. The bedroom is so comfy, duck down pillows and duvet, spacious and secure. Their hostel events are very good (movie in the tee-pee). Rented bikes from them too. Definitely will recommend, cool vibe in this place.

Amazing hostel. Would recccomend it to everyone and go back next time I'm in Amsterdam!

• 18th May 2015

I loved they pay attention to every little detail in the hostal, even the nice surprise below the pillow!

Stayed for 4 nights. Good location, close to the city center. About a 20 minute walk from the main train station, 10 minutes to all of the great sites, restaurants and pubs. Right on a canal. Felt really safe at night. Cool cafe downstairs. A bit hard to find if you're not paying attention! South of the Ibis hotel and just north of the building with all of the plants.

Location is just a 10 minute walk from Dam Square - People were always hanging out in the common area, making interactions easy, and the rooms were spacious and clean

Lots of thanks to the staff,special thanks to Patricia ,who despite having a cold was immensely forthcoming and helpful. Spent one night in 7-bed dorm . Excellent stay. Good coffee at "Filtered" the cafe is connected to the hostel. Will come again.

• 14th May 2015
  • Denmark

Although I haven't stayed in many hospitals, this one was pretty good overall. Facilities were generally well-kept and clean, my main complaint would be the fact that you can't change the temperature of the water in the shower and it felt scalding times. The kitchen area was clean and the Teepee hang out was pretty cool. We enjoyed renting bikes for the day for only €10 per bike which I highly re commend. Wish the towels and breakfast were free

• 13th May 2015

I absolutely enjoyed my stay at Ecomama! The atmosphere was excellent, the staff were very friendly, informative and available to help (especially Clara :) ). The fact that there's a cafe attached to the hostel is a total plus, so if you need your coffee fill you don't have to go far. Quiet location and tourist attractions are all walkable, but definitely rent a bike from them. Next time I'm in Amsterdam for a long period of time, I will definitely be staying here again!

• 13th May 2015

Ecomama was a great choise. I was in Amsterdam to propose to my girlfriend, which I did, and she said yes :). We were up to a social place but also calm and comfortable and we found it there! We loved their common areas, very cool, social, clean, bright but most of all calm, so that you can hang or relax after a day of tourism. The staff was great and I even received a bottled of pro sec for my engagement :D Thanks a lot guys!! I would mostly recommend the place.

Very good mattress, good place to meet people, perfect location, usefull nicely decorated kitchen, nice atmosphere. But BRING YOUR EAR PLUGS if you want to sleep : the big ventilation pipe in the room is making an awfull noise. The ringing bell from the front door during the night is also very annoying to hear. Lights from the corridor are coming in your room through the ventilation (they are on all the night). The room could be better furnished (bedside lamp, shelves, hanging rail...).

I was at this hostel just for a long layover, and it was the best layover ever. Very welcoming staff, entertaining activities, good location, and really great guests! The hostel was doing a pub crawl and I got to meet some really great people while really enjoying my layover in Amsterdam.

• 8th May 2015

Overall good place to go. The interior style screams "hippie", and I find that very charming. It's a little more expensive compared to other hostels but here you're more likely to find calm, kind and open-minded people, including the staff.

Great place and some lovely people working there. Great attitude towards sharing and daily activity. Met some nice people staying as the people attracted to this place. Stayed and slept well in 5 bed dorm. 12 bed was too hot and got sore throat as is often the case when staying anywhere with lots of beds in same room. Choose a smaller number of beds.

Loved my stayed here, so chilled. Really nice experience.

• 4th May 2015

There were pros and cons staying at this hostel. The staff was the worst part of our stay. They were unacknowledgable, condescending and rude. When askig where the nearest laundry was no one seemed to know or care. Standing at the front to check out or ask questions, my friend and I both felt like the two girls working did not like where they worked and were very unfriendly towards us and one even made a rude remark about us being American. Rude staff. Place has potential.

• 3rd May 2015

The staff really make Ecomama a friendly and happy place. Special thanks to Patricia, Silvaga and Elrika for their help and advice. If you have gear to store be aware lockers are not in the rooms and you will need a padlock. Big well equipped kitchen/dining area.

I liked it very much. I would definitely recommend the hostel. The only bad thing to say is that's a little bit expensive.

• 30th Apr 2015
  • Uruguay

Eco mama had a great atmosphere and cool coffee shop in the front that was great place to read or interact with the local community. We reserved a double room, with a beautiful view over the canal. I was disappointed by the room, which looked much larger in pictures, walls were extremely thin and was tidy, but not clean. Our shower drain overflowed every morning, and despite telling the staff every morning, it never got fixed. The common space is wonderful, but wouldn't recommend private rooms.

The hostel was really clean with a really great atmosphere and cool common spaces to hang out in. There were plenty of showers and the dorm room we stayed in was spacious. Our only complaint was the lack of outlets in the room as 12 of us had to share 4 which was difficult at times.

Though Ecomama is a bit outlying, it is still in comfortable walking distance to everything you came to do in Amsterdam. It is very spacious, provides a good number of facilities and lockers. It has a coffee shop, Filter, with extremely good coffee in front of it. Staff is very helpful at any and all times of the day. I'll be there next time I come over to Europe.

• 26th Apr 2015