Ecomama Reviews

Valkenburgerstraat 124, Amsterdam, Netherlands

They made it sound like it was spectacular, so I didn't feel bad spending the extra money. It was just average. Disappointment.

Dear guest, Not everyone can appreciate the effort, love and passion we put in our work. Also not everyone is made to like our style and concept. We are innovative, and in some ways perhaps a bit strange. We trying to improve and communicate our message more accurate that people like yourself don't get impressed and tricked in staying here, but actually choose an accommodation that suits them. Nevertheless we hope you enjoyed Amsterdam at least! Love, Anika

Coming from my experiences at Cocomama, I had high expectations for Ecomama. First and foremost I have to say they know how to hire folks. I got to know Steffi and Deb the best, and both of them had very different (but awesome) ways of welcoming me that never once resembled the fakeness of forced niceness you so often see in customer service. The hostel is brand new, so there were some things amiss, scarce outlets and lockers, LOUD door hinges, weak wifi, BUT you will NOT find a better value.

It was the best hostel i visit ever ! Great staff, nice people, amazing place !!

• Israel

The Staff, especially Debra, were very efficient, professional, kind and very giving. They made me feel welcome. In my experience of Hostels, Ecomama was definitely worth every penny. I am a very easy going person and I did not have any expectations, perhaps may have added to the fun of being surprised. The View of the room was spectacular, it was a river. I shared the room mostly with men but I ended up being friends with mostly everyone, they even threw a leaving party for me. It was great!!

• 19th May 2014

Great Atmosphere, superior room was awesome! But inside the cabins it became way too hot over night,

• 19th May 2014

Thank you for your tip - we are installing ventilation in our cabins as we speak. Regards, Anika

A very nice Place to Stay. Clean Rooms and very comfortable. It is so lovely there. And by the Way very Central. Just 10 Minutes to walk to the City Centre. :))

• 16th May 2014

Our first of many hostels, but one of my favorite. Helpful staff, cool atmosphere, and great kitchen. In Amsterdam, everything is walkable so the location although slightly away from some attractions, is still a good one.

Hostel advertises on hostel world.com that they accept Visa and Mastercard payments. However they currently only accept maestro card.

Our c/c is working! Love, Anika

The hostel was nice and new, but I ended up paying a hotel price for a private room (and still had to share the bathroom and shower). The private room was basically a container-cube, and didn't have a window or ventilation, so it got quite hot inside. Stylistically, it was nice though.

Dear guest, Thank you for your review. However we are a little quiet puzzled by your remark on hotel prices for the cabins - they do not costs more than a dorm bed. Surely you are mistaking hotel prices from a different city or didn't do enough research. Ventilation is being build in as we speak - an honest mistake by our contractor. We are happy you appreciated the style. Love, Anika

The decoration was great although the hotel isn`t completly finished. We loved the common area and the kitchen. The staff was absolutely lovely. The receptionist took time to explain us lots of useful things about Amsterdam.

• 10th May 2014

Room was designed more like a hotel. The bed im my room(it was an person 8bd) was very comfortable, the comforter cushy the pillow nice, and even had a aroma pack too. Thought that was a nice touch. I was on the top bunk but there was an outlet to charge my electronics. There werent very many lockers though, so Id be careful with that. And you need to have your own lock. The bathroom was co-ed but clean. when i was there there wasnt a problem with having to wait for showers or anything.

Nice hostel, kind staff. The common room has the true hostel spirit and lots of facilities. The bathroom is clean, the showers are ok. The only disadvantage is that the water temperature in the showers is pre-set and can't be modified, which is quite odd. The 12 dorm is quite small/crowded, but has good ventilation. Overall very nice hostel, we had a great time there!

Dear guest, Thank you for leaving us a review. The water temperature is preset as that is part of our entire eco friendly environment. 12-bed dorm is crowded, cheap and comes with no facilities - the perks of budget! Love, Anika

I enjoyed the whole feel of the place, though it is not centrally located. Cosy and friendly, very easy going. The all girls bunk was comfortable and I enjoyed a good night's rest. Sufficient common baths and toilets for everyone, big kitchen and wide space to relax. There is a cafe at the entrance to satisfy your cravings for sweets and coffee. Only thing was that the internet was not stable and only available in the common area, but they are fixing it.

My girlfriend and i have just returned from Ecomama after a long weekend and are deeply sad to be back! My bed will never be the same after feeling the comfort of the one in our room. We arrived to a very warm welcome and after we had checked in and paid our outstanding money we were taken on a tour of the place. The place was beautiful and had everything required. We had a deluxe double room and it was outstanding, full of character and extremely clean. We cant wait to go back!

• 8th May 2014

Great hostel with great staff. They were all very friendly, and really created a comfortable environment to enjoy Amsterdam in!

• 7th May 2014

The staff were incredibly helpful and friendly. The rooms were very clean as well as the bathroom. There is no other hostel like ecomama! The kitchen is fully equipped and you feel right at home preparing your own meal. The cafe out the front has delicious food as well. Would definitely recommend staying here! I know I'll be back!

Good location and all the staff are really nice and helpful! Very clean!

Firstly I know how hard it is to start a business so congratulations... however there were a few glaring things that should be brought to your attention. The advertised picture is apparently of a premiere room, please make people aware that the other rooms are not like this. Worst things: no lockers to put your stuff, no light for the bed and exposed waste pipes overhead which make a loud noise and keep you awake! You may have paid more attention to making things pretty instead of functional.

• 6th May 2014

Dear T, Thank you for your review. Ecomama has hotel rooms as well as normal dorm room, but also super cheap ass budget rooms. It speaks for itself when you book the cheapest available rate, you'll get the room with just a bed, no locker, no socket, no room facilities. However there are lockers in the hallway for our Budget Conscious seekers, maybe you missed them? Pipes on the sealing were indeed a design choice, and your particular room has been fixed yesterday, so all soundproof now! Cheers!

Very charming, very hipster, very eco. Friendly, helpful staff. Be aware that the 2-person dorms are small "cabins" built in the common room area, without windows. They are super cute, but not ideal for claostrophobics or light sleepers...

Dear guest, You couldn't have phrased it better! The cabins are indeed small dorms without roommates: cozy, but definitely no luxury. Hence why they are on a bargain price. Love, Anika

Helpful staff and nice atmosphere for female dorm. Clean toilet and shower area. staff explained and recommended places for us to visit. Also resources like lonely planet available. however the internet was unstable during our stay, we. had a hard time using internet to contact our loves one and finding updated resources for our next trip

Hi guest, Up and running now! Hope you are enjoying the rest of your travels. Love, Anika