Edinburgh Backpackers Reviews

65 Cockburn St, EH1 1BU, Edinburgh, Scotland

The hostel was in a excellent location with friendly staff. The facilities were good and we feel we received good value for what we paid.

• 24th Aug 2015

Double rooms are not on the main building. Very noisy place, very old as well. Water boilers from the corridor very noisy as bad as couldn't sleep properly. Hostel really good but double rooms on number 18, near bulding really poor quality.

Had single bed room in the attic, lovely space once I'd climbed the 6 floors (no lift ... No fun if I'd had a suitcase!) brilliant location, very quiet building even though it was full during the Fringe festival and just off the mile which was a lovely surprise. Would highly recommend this hostel.

• 22nd Aug 2015

Great location, had all the facilities you need too. Movies in the common room were a good touch. And the pool tabel! Wifi doesn't work well past 2nd floor though (for us anyway)

• 22nd Aug 2015

% pepople room, really good location, good staff, clean hostel. Will repeat if I can stay in the main bulding

I have stayed here before and would consider staying here again but it really would be based on location alone. Paying £3 to store a bag for the day was something I felt excessive but would pack a backpack over a case next time so I would not be tied to this unnecessary expense.

Really good location and friendly staff. Was pretty expensive to stay at over the weekend during Fringe Festival (£28 a night) but so was everywhere else. Stayed in the 14 Bed Mixed Dorm (in the 'main' building) with some mates which was spacious with a table to enjoy those beers around. I would definitely stay at this hostel again/ recommend it to others. Rates are usually pretty good here (around £14 a night mid-week) for the dorm I stayed in. Peace out.

• 21st Aug 2015

The bathrooms are a bit scummy and the floors of the bedrooms are dirty. They may need a bit more ventilation through the rooms as they got very hot and smelly at times. There was a kitchen though which was useful. The wifi didn't work very well

The shower had bugs in it. Couldn't use the wifi. And they double booked my bed with someone arriving at midnight

• 21st Aug 2015
  • New Zealand

The location in the centgre is just perfect and the hostel in small enough to keep friendly family atmosphere. I just woke up with some flea bites on my hands and legs - the must be living in the mattrace or blankets there. I wish there was a kind of tab;le in the kitchen instead dining room away - it makes U going throuhj the corridor with food or eating in the kitchen in staying position. U have to pay extra for printing and for luggage storage.

• 19th Aug 2015
  • Poland

Great hostel in the heart of Edinburgh's old town. Perfect location to walk around and discover the city. The dorm was nicr anf spacious, you didn't realize there were 14 people staying in it! Kitchen and sitting room facilities were good, the bathrooms could have been cleaner. Staff was always nice and helping. Totally recommend it :)

I stayed for one night in a female 8 bed dorm. The experienced was mixed because while the dorm was spacious and clean, the bathroom was horrible. It might have been "clean", but it had the kind of grime and wear that is normal in a really old ablutions area. It needs renovation. No elevator, which isn't the worst thing, but there are a lot of stairs when your bag is heavy! The info says, "Every bed has a double power plug..." This is not accurate. Every person does, but it's not near the bed.

Excellent location!! Just off the Royal Mile, the street has loads of little cute shops and resturants and coffee shops along it! We stayed in a twin room just over the road on level 2 with shared bathrooms. Room was basic which was all we needed and clean. Clean kitchen right next door and clean bathrooms, our room could have done with a mirror and maybe curtains as blinds didn't stop lamp post light coming in but other than that it was great, staff really helpful and Edinburgh is beautiful!

We had a wonderful stay here at Edinburgh backpackers! The location was absolutely perfect and everything we wanted to see was within walking distance. The rooms were clean and it was great to have lockers to store or stuff while we were out during the day. Overall, we had an amazing time in Edinburgh!

In an amazing location, right in the center of town and near to all the main Fringe stuff. Staff were generally helpful, there was a nice common room with stuff to do, and it generally felt quite clean. Also secure, with keycards for front door, rooms, and individual lockers in rooms. Showers would tend to go cold at busy times.

Had a great time staying at Hoppo. I stayed in an 8 bed dorm which was neat and tidy. There was an issue with the locker but the staff fixed that up right then and there with a big smile and no worries at all. Staff were great, all very friendly and helpful. The location was amazing, just off the high st and the kitchen facilities are great too. The common room is also really comfortable with strong wifi - yay! Would definitely recommend and stay here again. Many thanks to the team! :-)

I thought this place was so unwelcoming. The reception guy obviously didn't want to be there and was very uninterested in chatting or being friendly. The bathrooms were disgusting that I refused to take a shower. The bunk beds are so rickety that you feel every move people above or below you make. Definitely will not be coming back again.

Very helpful staff, bed was comfortable, room was warm and the facilities were great.

On the second door into the annex the doorcode for the security lock was published on the door that's why I marked it down a little bit

• 10th Aug 2015

I booked a bed in a dorm at this hostel in around June to attend the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. They then called me in July to ask for my full payment as it was a busy month. I paid £84 in full. However upon arrival I was told that I couldn't stay due something that my sister did when she stayed! I asked for a refund and they told me to call head office. I called head office and they said they'd give me a refund. Having checked my balance they only refunded me £62 instead of £84!!!!

• 9th Aug 2015