Edinburgh Backpackers Reviews

65 Cockburn St, EH1 1BU, Edinburgh, Scotland

Sheets were clean. Bathroom was clean. Floors were creaky

In the bedroom for four people it's ok, but in the room for eight people the beds are so dirty and at night three mens spleeping in free beds and on the floor

• 23rd Sep 2014

We absolutely loved it! We rented the twin suite for 2. We liked it so much we even stayed an extra night! Definitely recommend.

• 22nd Sep 2014
  • Mixed Group, 41+

Friendly and helpful staff. The penthouse was HUGE.

It's funny you should ask me how my stay was, because it didn't happen. I booked WITHIN 48 HOURS of arriving because it was a last minute plan, and then I was forced to cancel. I let the hostel know asap, but they informed me that they were cancelling my room AND charging me because I cancelled WITHIN 48 HOURS - I could not have cancelled before 48 hours could I? I sent two emails pleading with them, didn't get a response. I also told them I am a travel journalist, didn't get a response. Bye!

• 18th Sep 2014

Toilet needs to be cleaned because the floor is wet and smelling is not good. One day there is no hot water which make people freezing. Seems no one clean the rubbish can in our room during those 3 days.

• 17th Sep 2014
  • Taiwan

This was my first hostel experience an I was OK but the place felt dirty an for an 8 bunk bed room it had one lader wtf as a short person on the top bunk this was a problem

• 16th Sep 2014

There was no hot water for bathing on my last day. As I do not bath cold water, I was really disappointed. None of the men's bathroom had water neither, so most of us could not take our bath. There was no plug for my laptop inside the room, I could not believe this. There is no lift to go to higher floors. Climbing the stairs was very difficult for me, more so because I had some luggage. Though it was a good value for money

• 15th Sep 2014

very good affordable hostel in a convenient location near the royal mile. you could be walking quite a bit of stairs as there is no elevator in this older building but that really isn't a problem. friendly staff

A simple backpacker B&B, which has very good price and location but visitors have to adapt the environment. I have to say, they have much space for improving the equipments of bathrooms.

• 12th Sep 2014
  • Taiwan

The room was terrible, substandard, literally a dungeon. Tiny, no sunlight, thin walls. Loud noises from drunks in the night. We asked for a better room and were told there was nothing els. We had paid for three nights but had to check out after one. We asked for a refund and were refused because of their standard terms and conditions. No doubt they were able to rent out the room to some other poor saps at £50 per night for a twin. Robbery! BUYER BEWARE. ASK TO SEE THE ROOM BEFORE YOU PAY.

It was worth the money and more

This was a great place to stay as it is central to everything including Waverly Station which is steps away. Lots of places to eat nearby too. The staff were kind and accommodating. As two older ladies with big bags we were daunted by the steep steps to our room but we were able to leave the big bags with the desk and there was always someone available to help if needed. I had an issue with a refund which took a while to clear up, and I was not so pleased with the resolution.

• 8th Sep 2014

the staff were amazing . thanks to jade and Maria who made our stay there really fun they were knowledgable about the city and good spots to eat thanks again

• 7th Sep 2014

Very grotty place. The single rooms are like small dank closets. The whole place has a damp nasty feel to it.

• 7th Sep 2014

We loved the location! It's easy to get to from the train station and it's close to everything. The staff was very helpful and friendly, too. The only issues we had were that there was only one outlet in our room, the wifi signal was not good, and the showers/toilets were on a different floor. Overall, though, our stay was pleasant and we would stay there again.

Excellent stay with clean room and safe locker . Loved the separated toilet for male and female,which is good for who prefer privacy. Appreciate if you could put flip-flop shoe to hire for toilet's purpose.

• 6th Sep 2014
  • Malaysia

Luke warm-cold-hot water interchanging throughout the shower, not a great experience. Tiniest shower cubicles, ur nose is touching the curtain when showering. Ladies toilet is only on the 2nd floor, not the most convenient setting when ur room is on the 1st n u have to go to the loo in the middle of the night while u r up on the bunk. The headspace for lower bunk is pathetic. These r all very basic fixable issues I expect a hostel can do to make travellers feel more comfy.

If it weren't for your location, amazing staff, your place would be an absolute ZERO. I was double booked, given the wrong bed TWICE in the same visit. The rooms were a HUGE distance from the bathroom. The DUNGEON of rooms on Fleshmarket Close are HORRID, absolutely terrible!!! A woman I encountered suffered from bedbugs. The staff washed her stuff for her, the least corrigible thing they could do. There was mold, nasty, too hot or too cold, dark & dank areas everywhere.

This really is the best location you can get! Access system by card, even for the rooms so very safe! The lockers are 10£ deposit that you must have in CASH, so think of that. The staff was always very friendly and helpfull; one guy even helped me with my adaptor problems! Because it's in the centre, it can get really noisy on the streets so you will definitely need earplugs. Bathroom is okay, cleanliness depends on other guests :-)

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7