Edinburgh Backpackers Reviews

65 Cockburn St, EH1 1BU, Edinburgh, Scotland

Excelent location. Bathrooms not so clean and rooms are very noisy.

Very friendly and helpful staff and excellent location! Fine if you just need a place to sleep but the room was dusty and cramped, had a half-broken lock, slamming doors in the hallway woke me up several times and the shower room was damp damaged.

Room was clean but was in the building next door to the main hostel. Due to its location was quite noisy tillthe early hours but they provide free ear plugs. Pleasant and comfortable stay. Would return.

• 6th Dec 2014

Except for an extremely noise air-conditioning belonging to the next door restaurant, a very very small room ensuite and drunk, screaming and shouting people coming home in the midle of the night - we had a great time. The location is amazing and the staff really friendly. Definately value for money no matter what, go there - but bring ear plugs 😉

Broken shower despite paying extra for an ensuite Incredibly noisy until the early hours of the morning due to a pub with loud music below

• 4th Dec 2014

I stayed here for a couple days in November 2014. The rooms were clean and the beds extremely comfy. There was a nice lounge area and game room. Wifi worked all over the building! The only downside would be there aren't female water closets on every floor, hiking up and down got a little old. Not to mention they were freezing. The water pressure was good though. Fantastic location!

We were staying in a double ensuite with shared facilities (kitchen and bathroom). One member of the staff was our flamates and was very rude with us. EG I wanted to turn the heating down because it was very hot in the corridor (without any window, except in our room) and heput a notice saying : "DO not touch this!) => next time, write a 'please' before or let us just know. It was shared facilities, not his own flat and we didn't feel at home at all!!! Otherwise, very good location

• 28th Nov 2014
  • Belgium

Good location. I wasn't offered a key to the in-room locker - not sure if this was because it was a paid-for extra or the receptionist forgot. I asked another girl in the room, and she said she'd been given a key when she booked in. I'd have preferred not to leave my belongings out, but it was okay. In an eight bedded room, I'm not sure why they put a woman in the bunk above mine, when there were two completely empty bunks in the room, which would've been better for both of us.

The tap was broken in men's toilet. The shower room is very small. The location is good because it's very near the city centre.

My double suite was nice and clean with a bathroom that has everything in it, including two towels and a shower gel. The staff was helpful in pointing to nearby pubs for food, sight-seeing tours, and Internet cafe/electronic store. They let me take a hairdryer overnight with a £5 deposit and held my bag after checkout for £3. The location is close to everything. My only complain is the noise from the people on the streets on Friday night and the smoky smell in the hallway on my 2nd night.

• 27th Nov 2014

Nice hostel, excellent location and helpful staff. A small thing, pay shelf in the shower/toilet would be useful to out your stuff on.

• 27th Nov 2014

It was not the 1st Time , that I have stayed in Edinburgh Backpackers and it was definitely not the last Time. Edinburgh Backpackers well lives up to his Name , Backpackers and real Travellers know exactly what that Word Backpackers actually stands for. Staying in Edinburgh city centre for just 10 quit a Night , in a nice clean Room with a warm Bed wich get Bedsheets for free and changed daily , in my Book that is UNBEATEBLE. Edinburgh Backpackers offers everything and more anyone needs

Have been staying here a night a week (for work reasons) for almost a year. It's been a great base and just what you need from a hostel in Old Town. The location is great, the staff are excellent and friendly and the facilities are what you would expect for a hostel like this, free wifi a godsend. Noise levels are low most of the time, only once a twice in Festival was it noisy and that was from the street. If you need a good budget place to stay then I'd recommend Edinburgh Backpackers

Staying at EBH was really great. The location is perfect and in the heart of old town, my bunk bed was really comfy, the safe were friendly and very helpful! The facilities were really great also, overall this was a great hostel to stay in and I would definitely go back. Thanks guys, maybe see you again soon :)

• 18th Nov 2014

It was really noisy at night, and our room was right under an old, wooden, creaky flight of stairs

• 17th Nov 2014
  • South Africa

The hostel location was very good. The staff were very helpful. The showers were very bad ,little or no power in the water. The kitchen had very little pots or cutlery and everything had to be washed before use. The hostel is very run down and the decor needs to be updated.

Lot of disturbance from other rooms... Whenever doors of other rooms were shut we can feel noise in our room which was very annoying

• 14th Nov 2014
  • India

Great location. Nice, small room, but the bed was too squeaky.... Clean bathroom and toilet... The staff were nice.

• 14th Nov 2014
  • Romania

Loved our room, thanks!

The property is in an excellent location. It was extremely noisy in our room due to the pub's smoking area being outside our room window. This wasn't helped by the single glazed windows which are very old and really could do with replacing as they were also very drafty making the room very cold. The radiator even when turned onto maximum power wasn't enough. Also the duvet was a summer one so that wasn't warm either. There was also lots of dust particularly behind the door to the bathroom.

• 13th Nov 2014