Edinburgh Backpackers Reviews

65 Cockburn St, EH1 1BU, Edinburgh, Scotland

The positives: the location is great (right next to the Royal Mile); the staff were very friendly. The main issue was that I returned home with an unwanted souvenir-about a hundred bedbugs bites (not exaggerating, I counted) on my legs and arms. The itching is horrible and also quite painful.They really need to address this problem. I spoke to other guests at the hostel who had the same experience. And let me just say it's not one I would want to experience again.

there was no hot water after 10am

• 22nd Aug 2014

We had a window in our room that couldn't be locked and was right next to a busy alleyway - a bit off putting. The hostel was a bit smelly but the room was ok. The shower was warm but there was little to no water pressure. The bed were comfy and warm. All round a basic hostel with basic facilities but in a great location. Perfect if all you need is somewhere to crash and nothing fancy.

• 22nd Aug 2014

Lots of stairs! Aussie guy at reception was awesome.

Excellent stay during the Edinburgh Fringe, and as our actual room was away from the main hostel it was nice to be somewhere slightly more quiet. The only issue we had was an odd sewer-like smell in the main corridor, but thankfully the room didn't smell and was clean. However the mattress could do with being changed as it drops in the middle. Overall an excellent stay, and for the price somewhere we'd consider again.

• 22nd Aug 2014

Good enough for one night stay in Edinburgh, I particularly enjoy the breakfast discount at Southern Cross Cafe next to the hostel.

The place is perfectly located, the rooms are good, the people are great. Not a bad thing to say about it.

The lady on the desk was absolutely lovely and very very helpful when I arrived, however the rooms were really dirty even for a hostel and I think they may have bed bugs as I woke up the next morning covered in bites. The chill room is really very tiny so when you get kicked out on the day of checkout there is nowhere for you to go you are basically on the streets. This was my 5th time back in Edinburgh and this is by far one of the least atmospheric and comfortable hostels Ive stayed in.

• 22nd Aug 2014

I got bitten by bed bugs and carry puss filled reminders of my stay. The front desk saw the bites and said they were from midges. They knew but denied it. Another woman in my dorm was also bitten. They should refund me the overinflated cost of staying there.

• 21st Aug 2014

Edinburgh Backpackers is in a fantastic location, two minutes up from Waverley Station and two minutes down from the Royal Mile. The cafe next door gives 15% discount on all food and drink and was well run with a decent menu. The facilities are basic hostel type, but the room was clean, there was a kitchen, laundry and sitting room with most things you could need, and tea and coffee-making facilities. Good value for money, especially for the Festival, Fringe and Tattoo.

• 21st Aug 2014

Good location, wifi works well even in the room. Only addition I would've liked is free luggage storage on the day of checkout after check out time (which they offer on the day of check in).

The room was dirty、smelly,wifi doesn't work in other build.

Decent beds and good common rooms. Very friendly and helpful staff. Next to no power points in the rooms I stayed in (8 dorm and 5 dorm) and all the tiles of the 5 dorm room were loose!

Good hostel, great location and helpful,friendly staff, Only problem was that we were in the second building which didn't have very good ventilation, so it smelled of damp slightly. Also the radiator in the room couldn't be turned off so it was very very warm at night. But other than that a good hostel :)

• 19th Aug 2014
  • Scotland

Amazing location and pretty chilled vibe. Only 1 set of Men's toilets and showers which was a bit annoying but not a major deal breaker. Pretty cool place.

very noisy

Does not allow bicycles or otherwise make any room to acomidate guests needs. Strict policies aimed at protecting themselves at guests expense. Don't make reservation in advance as you can' cancel. Good location and well decorated, poor every thing else.

We stayed in room 8. We appreciated the space & facilities although the hot tap in the basin is not connected. However, other guests were extremely noisy. We expected movement at all hours because of the Festival but did not expect people to slam doors, talk loudly and jump up and down the stairs. The 1st night we had an hour or two sleep. Perhaps a notice pointing out to the people upstairs that there is a room right by that entrance door and every sound is magnified and please be quiet!

• 15th Aug 2014

I liked it - common room, games room, well-maintained kitchen - what's not to like? :-)

Best part of the hostel: very good location and nice staff. They helped me out to know where to go and to find someone to sell my tickets. They are great!

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7