Edinburgh Backpackers Reviews

65 Cockburn St, EH1 1BU, Edinburgh, Scotland

The location is awesome and the staff is helpful. But nevertheless of all the hostels I stayed at in Edinburgh this by far is the one where I felt most uncomfortable and I wouldn`t recommend it to anyone else. I had a single room and stayed in another building which was was situated in a rather dark cose with homeless people assembling there and being noisy in the mornings. On top of that there as stated in other reviews there indeed was no door to take a shower in privacy.

• 19th Apr 2014

Very good location and staff was very helpful and nice. The rooms are really worth for what you pay and the facilities are cleaned. The kitchen and common areas are really good too. I totally recommend this hostel

• 19th Apr 2014
  • Spain

Stayed in a double room (shared bathroom) over easter. Great location just off the royal mile, very central to old town edinburgh. Private rooms are in a different building, its a bit old and run down but you're not staying in a hotel, but not really a 'hostel' atmosphere. Easter eggs left outside our room which was the nice touch. Only bummer the £3 per bag per day to store luggage, we only had 3 hours to wait for our train but didnt get a discount (used the bus station lockers, cheaper)

Great location and clean beds. Very close to city center, train station and bus to airport. Dirty, old bathroom. Common areas had seen better days. Helpful staff, met some really nice people whom shared my room:)

bathroom not god, small amount bathroom

• 18th Apr 2014

The hostel is in the centre of the city, the people who works there were very nice and the room was fine too. Everything was perfect my weekend was wonderful. I recommend to everybody.

• Spain

In three days, i had two cold baths. I ask the staff and they say that i should wake up ealier. The thing is, i am not paying to wake up early just to have a hot shower.

• Portugal

Although it was just a night stay, I wish for more. Everything was more than what we expected and we had a very peaceful and comfortable night. The breakfast was fantastic and we couldn't ask for more. The only down side I can think of was that the windows are single glazing and the cold penetrated into the room easily. Nevertheless, the wall mounted heater were very warm and the blankets were very comfortable, which did not cause any issue for us.

• 17th Apr 2014
  • Singapore
  • All Male Group, 25-30

Staff was super helpful and nice. The room was clean and had nice space. The location is the best a hostel can have, right on the royal mile. Only bad things were that my room was just next to a bathroom, and in the morning the showers had FREEZING COLD WATER. I waited for a long time but it did not heat up. You guys should fix that! Other than that and the long stair trip to the 4th floor, I have no complains about this place, great value for money. Rooms open with card keys and have lockers.

Really good staff! And the location was unbelievable great!! Wonderful trip and place. Highly Recomended!!!

As far as hostels go: stayed in a few and had some near to bad experiences. However this one was just okay! Couple of things they could do better. 1. State there is a CASH deposit for the key when bookin. 2. Remove the old towels from the room from previous guests. 3. Bathroom - when in a hostel there should be a lock on the door that's usable. Hidden charges they get you with so watch out for them when checking in. Other than that. Enjoy

• 16th Apr 2014

Like most hostels in Edinburgh very good value. Can't really complain at the price. Showers were cold though.

I managed to get a tiny single room for just 20 pounds, and along with a shower and the excellent location right in between Waverley train station and the Royal Mile, that was exactly what I needed for the one short night I stayed there. The room had a bit of a funny smell though, and from what I saw of the hostel (which wasn't much), it seemed rather grubby, so I'd say I got what I paid for (the bed was comfy though) and wouldn't necessarily stay for more than one night.

It's just simply awesome. Perfect location, friendly staff, everything is just stones away. Highly recommended.

Very central, cheap, with friendly staff and free wifi

• 14th Apr 2014

Ask if you will be placed in fleshey if so request something else. It is a dump.

I was arranged to stay in the building nearby and there were beggars at the roots of building. It was insecure if I was alone.

• 10th Apr 2014
  • Hong Kong

Really great place to stay. We got a private room for two of us so it was more like staying in a hotel but with a kitchen, games Rooms and great staff. Very clean. Will definitely come back.

• 8th Apr 2014
  • Spain

All the staff was great especially Jade. It was very convenient access to the train station. Expenses for the accommodations was very good.

This girl Jade from reception desk, she was really helpful. She provide us with all information about everything, things to visit, prices, places to go out in a club, places to eat. She was our personal information desk. Very kind girl, always doing everything with smile and you can see that she really care about us, and that she want to help.

• 5th Apr 2014