Edinburgh Backpackers Reviews

65 Cockburn St, EH1 1BU, Edinburgh, Scotland

We stayed in room 8. We appreciated the space & facilities although the hot tap in the basin is not connected. However, other guests were extremely noisy. We expected movement at all hours because of the Festival but did not expect people to slam doors, talk loudly and jump up and down the stairs. The 1st night we had an hour or two sleep. Perhaps a notice pointing out to the people upstairs that there is a room right by that entrance door and every sound is magnified and please be quiet!

• 15th Aug 2014

it's really good,even better live near the station!

• 13th Aug 2014
  • China

Was only spending two nights in Edinburgh and this place was perfect. Really amazing building plus all the important things. Clean, great staff, amazing location and everything you would want. Would stay again in a heartbeat.

Nice place. Super location i the middel of the old city near the royal mile. Would recomend

Great location, lovely staff and a good hostel. Shame there are so many stairs!!

Warm atmosphère , Pity you ve got some insectes in the bed , you'd better clean it ! It´s expensive for what it is .

• 10th Aug 2014

We were given a room just off Fleshmarket Close. There was no window to see out of and the bathroom was dirty-particularly the shower. The noise was REALLY AWFUL. This was probably the worst part of the stay. People BANGING all doors and floors constantly from around 7am onwards. It was like an earthquake everytime the stairs were used. VERY NOISY. Sleep was limited. The room was very stuffy with no ventilation. Not a pleasant stay compared to other hostels in which I've stayed in Edinburgh.

• 10th Aug 2014
  • Scotland

Good value for my money, lovely staff, amazing location. I would stay here again without a doubt!

• 8th Aug 2014

Can be quite noisy at night (from street & also other guests) also quite hot in room even tho it was cold out I stayed during the fringe festival so it was jam packed. The bathrooms were dirty throughout my stay. I was on a top bunk in middle of room (so not against wall) & neither side had rails so felt quite unsafe. There was also no proper ladder to any of the top bunks so was awkward to get up & down, particularly at night. I asked to be moved but was not helped. Would not stay here again

Awesome hostel. Lovely and clean. Best location and really helpful staff!

• 8th Aug 2014

Excellent location as it was Between the royal mille and Waverley. Staff were great to talk to and helpful when it was needed. To be honest I didn't experience the hostel enough as I had so much planned and was out constantly leaving first thing in te morning and getting back gone 1am. But if anyone is looking for a place to stay in Edinburgh I recommend this hostel.

Friendly front desk staff

Loved it but the only issue was careying the luggage up 5 floors...a lift wud hav been handy but never mind :-)

• 7th Aug 2014
  • India

I enjoyed the breakfast deal. £5 for breakfast was brilliant value and made me wanna come back to this hostil next year for the fringe :)

• 6th Aug 2014

would recommend to anyone, especially firstly time visitors to Edinburgh and large groups as the location is at the heart of the historical Royal mile. it is less than a 5 minute walk from the train station or 10 minutes from the tram/bus. clean with friendly staff (the receptionist who greeted us was amazing). like all of edinburgh accommodation it can be pricey during popular festivals (fringe etc) but a real bargain during quieter months.

• 6th Aug 2014

We only had one night in Edinburgh so we were very happy with the location! The fringe festival just so happened to be right outside our door which was amazing. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Room was fantastic, loads of room. Could quiet happily stay there for a long period of time and feel comfortable. The whole vibe was great very funky backpackers. The only down fall was the stairs, we wanted a private room which was the penthouse so was a bit of a hike up the stairs but all worth it!

• 6th Aug 2014

Wouldn't grumble for the price. Location is very good. However only 2 sockets in an 8 bed dorm, meant I had to leave my phone in reception to charge each day. I had to move into another room on my 3rd night where the bunks had no ladders.

• 5th Aug 2014
  • Wales

Bathrooms need upgrading.

• 2nd Aug 2014
  • New Zealand

The room i stayed in was 14 people. I was 6 months pregnant, trying to get on a top bunk without a ladder. There was no where else to sleep though. The main street was too loud to sleep. The common room was comfy. I ended up using it when I couldnt sleep

Stayed here during the Comed Festival. Was slightly unnerved by reviews on tripadvisor, but with no reason!! The staff are amazing: they're helpful, they're friendly and really down to earth. The location is right in the centre and they're lockers in the room to put in valuables if you're sharing a dorm with people you don't know. It's not clean by hotel room standards, but it still is clean enough.

• 2nd Aug 2014