Edinburgh Backpackers Reviews

65 Cockburn St, EH1 1BU, Edinburgh, Scotland

Very good location. Lack of atmosphere and services. Our room was not clean (also linen clothes) We had an issue with the shower, they tried to help us, but they couldnt. The cafe next to the hostel was expensive and the waitress was rude to us. Just for jumping to sleep at night for less than 2 days.

Thanks for your feedback, sorry you didn't enjoy your stay, the plumber came and fixed your shower as soon as you let reception know there was a problem, the cafe next door supplies a full cooked breakfast for £6.95 which we think is definately worth the money. I'm not sure what services you required that we don't provide but we have 24 hour reception so you just had to ask. happy travels

People coming home at night chatting loud in the hallway. So maybe you can hand out earplugs? :)

• 28th Nov 2015

Thanks for your feedback, we supply free earplugs at reception which are available 24 hours a day. With our great location sometimes it can get a bit noisy. Happy travels

Turned up gone midnight to find the window wide open in November- had to wear all my clothes to sleep! Private room down an alley not in the main building which wouldn't recommend for people travelling in they own. Very cheap and staff friendly. The cafe they give you a discount for next door is excellent!

Good location, near touristic spots. The room was cold.

• 21st Nov 2015

I had a great stay here. Location is excellent, and the best part is the staff. They were incredibly helpful when I left an item behind. Great customer service you don't get everywhere!

Excellent location. I was able to go back to hostel for lunch, dinner and coffees. Kitchen well equipped. Dining/lounge area good. Bathrooms in main area were dirty. My room was in a different building but that room and the bathrooms were clean. However this meant I had to ring bell and wait to be let in to main to access kitchen. Has luggage storage facilities.

This hostel was in a central part of town, close to tourist sights like Edinburgh castle, Scott's Monument and several cathedrals, as well as the main bus and train station, great bars (Excellent live music at Stramash on Cowgate) and food (Pancakes at the Souther Cross Cafe right next door at TO DIE FOR). Inside was clean and homey and the staff was welcoming and helpful (Thank you Tom!). Could be improved by a larger kitchen and providing soap and towels in the bathroom for washing up.

The whole building is old so as the facilities of the hostel. The female bathroom is dirty. There is no hot water when too many people are having shower at the same time. My room is very noisy. Perhaps there is a bar nearby. Also, some young people chat outside my room loudly at midnight... I sleep on the upper bed of a bunk bed and there is no ladder to climb up! Dangerous!

• 7th Nov 2015
  • Hong Kong

I stayed in the second building which worked for me. It was a little loud - lots of slamming doors and loud talkers.

It wasn't a great hostel but it's cheap and in a good location. I was only there for one night so I wasn't too bothered about the rest. I wouldn't want to stay longer than 1 night though as it didn't feel that clean. But for what you pay it was ok.

The bathrooms were really really dirty and so were the bed linens. Moreover, the shower water was cold.

• 31st Oct 2015

Located pretty much on the Royal Mile the location is great and the staff were very friendly. The room was spacious, the beds were good and every bed had a power outlet. The lockers were hard to access due to the proximity to the bed but big enough for my suitcase. Showers are very small and not all of them worked.

I had kept my handwash in the room, it went missing once i was away and came back at night. Generally the conditions are good otherwise and it's a good value for money place to stay.

• 29th Oct 2015
  • Pakistan

Brilliant location. Secure, quiet room. Clean facilities. Will definitely stay again.

• 27th Oct 2015
  • Mixed Group, 41+

Absolutely fantastic! Travel there for work now and again and always feel welcome and enjoy my stay. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The facilities leave nothing to be desired.

• 27th Oct 2015
  • Scotland

We stayed in the location on the Royal Mile. We had a little difficulty opening the front door, as we weren't used to the magnet lock. We were stayed in a very large room with a double bed and shared bathroom. The kitchen looked brand new! We had a great view from the room, and a great location to get to tourist attractions! Although there was loud music playing all night and in the early morning, maybe from a pub or club? Didn't bother us, but if you're a light sleeper this may be an issue.

Nice hostel with excellent location, however on both private room bookings were in seperate buildings to the main one so missing that hostel atmosphere however kitchens and wifi were available in both buildings. Friendly staff!

I'd say location is good and not excellent because the private rooms are just around the corner - the place is still awesome located, but it's closed to a crowded street where you can hear the noisy drunken people in the streets. Besides being noisy, the rooms are what you pay for: nice structure, clean, safe. Just quite noisy.

Excellent location, okay rooms, toilets barely flush and it wasn't uncommon to see toilet bowl filled with toilet paper. Staff was generally friendly, but on the last night one of the employees was angry and told me off for leaving dirty dishes on the table (which weren't mine, someone else left them there).

There was damages in the bathroom, which causes flooding an no one looked after it. the bathrooms where dirty and in a poor condition.

• 20th Oct 2015