Edinburgh Backpackers Reviews

65 Cockburn St, EH1 1BU, Edinburgh, Scotland

Very very noisy on a Friday and Saturday nights - single glazing windows meant you could hear every word shouted in the streets at 3am!

• 28th Feb 2014

Staff were amazing, especially the Australian lady who checked us in/out. She had a lot of patience (we were a large group of rowdy English people) and was very helpful.

Pretty standard hostel you-get-what-you-pay-for, but if you're after a cheap, clean, basic place to sleep and not hang out too much, in a perfect location for exploring Edinburgh, this is for you. Room was small as expected but fairly clean, only downside was that we were in an additional building and our room backed onto a very noisy alleyway, but I suppose that's a price to pay for a good location. Staff were friendly.

• 21st Feb 2014

My room was top of stairs few flights to walk up , no lift. My card didn't work so I had to go down to reception, to be told it wasn't loaded. By the time I walked up was too shattered to. Leave room. Didn't check out the facilities. Bunk beds need ladders, dangerous getting of the top bunk. Breaky in cafe in am wss awesome cost was affordable.

• New Zealand

Thanks no !

• Couple, 41+

Amazing and helpful staff! Also the full Scottish breakfast deal was great :)

• 20th Feb 2014

Brilliant location, very helpful/friendly staff. Had a private room in a separate building which was great if you want to stay on your own... but not good for meeting people. Would definitely stay here again!

• 17th Feb 2014

A little outdated.

location is awesome, staff was helpful along the way

great place great city

This hostel is very centrally located, and the room I was in seemed to be recently renovated. However the male bathroom seems to be half completed (there was no shower door at all). I was in a separate building and i only saw one other person the whole time I was there. The kitchen is quite small but the staff seems nice enough. I woke after 2 days covered in bites, the manager had the room checked for bed bugs but said there was none. Offered free breakfast but i had to catch a train.

This was one of the worst hostels I've stayed in and yet the most expensive one. The windows were not double glazed and very close to a busy street so it was very noisy all night (noisy drunk people mostly). The room was small and smelly. The corridor was dirty and smelly as well. I kept being bitten by insects that I could not see (midges in February? Or maybe bed bugs); I counted ten bites and they were very itchy. The shower temperature was hard to adjust. The bedding was not very clean.

Very dirty and poor and bad furnished. Only location was excellent.

• 7th Feb 2014
  • Czech Republic

I booked a private double room just for a short stay before I moved into a flat. The room was quite big with its own kitchen. The only disadvantage was that the private rooms were on the top floor and there was no lift. I am very grateful to the guys at the reception who helped me with my very heavy luggage.

Had a delicious Scottish breakfast

• 2nd Feb 2014
  • New Zealand

great location and nice staff. lockers in the rooms are nice. bathrooms iffy and not always hot water. good wifi. a pretty standard hostel, good value for the money.

no hot water in the shower, though it was only for one morning...

• 1st Feb 2014
  • Greece

Nice location. Decent value for the money. Could have been a bit cleaner but overall happy with my stay.

Friendly staff, relatively safe (they provide a locker for a £5 deposit that you get back when you check-out) and great location. The toilets were cleaned at least every day and were in decent conditions, considering they're shared. For the price, there was not much we could have asked for, being good at providing the most basic facilities, which is what a backpackers' hostel is about. Would recommend to a friend and probably will return.

• 31st Jan 2014

We stayed in an ensuite private double room (penthouse 3) and it was wonderful! Our room was huge (with a private kitchen, sofa, desk, 2 armchairs...). There were lots of stairs, but as we didn't have any luggage with us (just our backpacks) that wasn't a problem at all. Location is excellent! In the middle of Old Town, next to the station, near all the main attractions. Staff is very nice and it's a great place to meet people. Definitely great value for money!