Edinburgh Backpackers Reviews

65 Cockburn St, EH1 1BU, Edinburgh, Scotland

Great as always - staff are super helpful

The location of the Hostel is great, in the middle of city centre, near the train and bus station, pub and caffes!

• 2nd Sep 2014

This hostel has bedbugs! The showers have no place to leave clothes except in the public bathroom, which makes changing awkward. The staff were backpackers themselves, and a real mixed bag of friendly and professional or cranky and unpleasant. The associated Southern Cross Cafe does good breakfasts!

We stayed in a triple private room and it was our favorite hostel of our trip. The location was unbeatable and the amenities were above average. We only had one set of keys but I believe you can each have your own with a key deposit held with reception.

I got the private room and it's excellent!

• 1st Sep 2014

A pretty good place with a warm and friendly staff. Very clean and maintained property. I am a student and have been staying here now for a week, I have stayed for 2 days in a twin sharing room private, twin sharing bunk bed private room and now in a dorm. Its all very nice. A very nice place nothing fancy but all you need to live. Location is also very nice, near the Royal Mile, with many restaurants, cafes nearby. Overall a very good package.

• 1st Sep 2014
  • India

Pretty run of the mill big hostel right off royal mile. Nothing spectacular; nothing horrible.

A good located hostel. I like the decoration of it. It was too noisy in room even is located in city center. If I came back again, it would be a good choice to stay again.

• 29th Aug 2014
  • Hong Kong

Fine apart from the guy coming in and out slamming doors and panicking from 5am onwards because he had lost his passport and money. No idea if this was a security issue at the hostel or he was robbed somewhere else; missed out on a lot of sleep though.

• 28th Aug 2014
  • Scotland

stayed August 23-27. When i booked i understood that we were going to have to switch rooms after one night because we wanted a private twin room. clueless that this hostel has 3 different locations we ended up having to visit all 3. 1st night was pretty good, kitchen and washroom okay. last 3 nights-bunk bed room was so small couldnt put our luggage anywhere NO kitchen in this one had to walk across the street and up stairs. not impressed bathrooms and hallways stunk. staff not helpful at all.

• 24th Aug 2014

Amazing staff, very helpful and excellent location. Will be returning for sure!

• 24th Aug 2014

The positives: the location is great (right next to the Royal Mile); the staff were very friendly. The main issue was that I returned home with an unwanted souvenir-about a hundred bedbugs bites (not exaggerating, I counted) on my legs and arms. The itching is horrible and also quite painful.They really need to address this problem. I spoke to other guests at the hostel who had the same experience. And let me just say it's not one I would want to experience again.

there was no hot water after 10am

We had a window in our room that couldn't be locked and was right next to a busy alleyway - a bit off putting. The hostel was a bit smelly but the room was ok. The shower was warm but there was little to no water pressure. The bed were comfy and warm. All round a basic hostel with basic facilities but in a great location. Perfect if all you need is somewhere to crash and nothing fancy.

• 22nd Aug 2014

Lots of stairs! Aussie guy at reception was awesome.

Excellent stay during the Edinburgh Fringe, and as our actual room was away from the main hostel it was nice to be somewhere slightly more quiet. The only issue we had was an odd sewer-like smell in the main corridor, but thankfully the room didn't smell and was clean. However the mattress could do with being changed as it drops in the middle. Overall an excellent stay, and for the price somewhere we'd consider again.

• 22nd Aug 2014

Good enough for one night stay in Edinburgh, I particularly enjoy the breakfast discount at Southern Cross Cafe next to the hostel.

The place is perfectly located, the rooms are good, the people are great. Not a bad thing to say about it.

The lady on the desk was absolutely lovely and very very helpful when I arrived, however the rooms were really dirty even for a hostel and I think they may have bed bugs as I woke up the next morning covered in bites. The chill room is really very tiny so when you get kicked out on the day of checkout there is nowhere for you to go you are basically on the streets. This was my 5th time back in Edinburgh and this is by far one of the least atmospheric and comfortable hostels Ive stayed in.

• 22nd Aug 2014

Literally only stayed about 6 hours but my impression was it was clean, had plenty of bathrooms and a lot of guests. Seemed like it would have been a fun place to hang out. Only complaints would be I checked in and was in a bit of a rush to get out again but I waited 5-10 minutes for a man to finish doing some unexplained task and the woman to stop having a personal phone call. Also the bunk beds could do with ladders for when you come in late, in the dark, with a drink or two in you.