Edinburgh Backpackers Reviews

65 Cockburn St, EH1 1BU, Edinburgh, Scotland

Excellent location, really helpful staff, highly recommended! Showers were cold on the first morning of my stay, but they were fixed promptly. Everything else was great!

The staff is very nice. It very suitable the traveller with backpackers. However, I'm travel with the suitcase, I found it is difficult to me to carry it to upstairs and without lift. The kitchen is very well enough, all of the tools for meal can find. The TV connect is not stable enough but it's fine.

• 31st May 2015
  • Hong Kong

Signage for room wasn't accurate but other than that I have no complaints.

• 29th May 2015
  • Scotland

Three of us stayed in the 3-bed room, located opposite the main building of the hostel. I cannot vouch for the main building with communal dorms, but our facilities (huge room with kitchen and a bathroom) were amazing and very clean. They provided towels, and basic kitchen stuff. Staff was hugely friendly and helpfull. Only a couple of slight negative points: the internet did not work in our building, and the windows are single-glazed, hence cold room and loud nights (located in busy street).

• 29th May 2015

The location was great. The staff were helpful. It was incredibly loud at night. The room was really dirty. It looked like it hadn't been vacuumed in weeks. The bathroom was disgusting as well. The furniture in the rooms was a little beat up as well. That's not a problem, but some of the lockers looked like they might fall apart if they had a heavy backpack put in them.

Good atmosphere, location great and staff super helpful and friendly. I was happy not to have to use the showers. The luggage store service is great!

The 10 pound deposit for keys seemed a little high, they charged 3 pounds to watch your bag for the day, if you arrived early or had to check out before you had to leave. Not to mention a hidden additional fee that I was forced to pay above the total amount Hostelworld stated was remaining to pay. The man I believe to be the manager was rude, rushing and hostel (pardon the double entendre) towards me & wouldn't let me check in unless I paid an overage, even though I had already paid the amt owed

The shower stalls were small, but I now realize that is the norm in Scotland. My first shower was freezing, but I guess I just went at the wrong time (same time as everyone else), because all my other showers were nice and hot.

Really nice place, friendly, lively, cheery, near shops, bars and restraints, 5mins from train station, comfy bed. Was a pleasure. Great value!!!

• 27th May 2015

Excellent location and good staff. Spacious rooms and friendly atmosphere and the discount for breakfast really appreciated. What need to improve is cleaning in the bathroom, but in the complex Was a nice stay .

It was a good hostel. The location was ideal. However the showers weren't the best: I had some cold showers.

Nice cosy hostel and great location! Would stay here again :)

We stayed in a private room, which was not located in the main building of the hostel, but in a different building across the road with all other private rooms of the hostel. It was very quiet and clean. The room was big and confy. We felt like we were more in a hotel room than in a hostel which was a pleasant surprise. You also get a discount for breakfast in a nice little small café next door with good food.

• 23rd May 2015

The place is terribly untidy! There is only one female bathroom and it looked as if it had never been cleaned. The only cool things about this hostel is that, if you stay there, you get a discount at the cafe next door. The cafe is just amazing!

Good hostel: perfect position just off the royal mile, nice and clean rooms and helpful staff. Only remark is that wifi was lacking in the building where our room was located

Great location, friendly staff. The girl's bathroom got crowded pretty frequently and the toilets ran out of toilet paper a couple times, among other things (basically the showers/bathrooms weren't that great). Also I was a little bit annoyed that we had to pay £3 to store our luggage on the day we were leaving so we could do some sightseeing. Almost every hostel I've stayed in has always offered to do so for free.

• 23rd May 2015

Location was great, right in the old town seconds from the royal mile. Rooms were fine and each bed had two outlets to charge electrics. Only complaint is the cleanliness of bathroom. If you are staying for a few nights and don't need to shower it's perfect but if staying there long term id look for a cleaner place.

The location of this hostel is absolutely perfect, literally in the center of old town and new town. Close to all the bars - but the downside of this is that it was very noisy at night, but earplugs are available at the desk. Definitely recommend!

The single rooms in a separate building are small but decent value for money given the central location. However, it was very dirty with old ash and breadcrumbs on the windowsill next to the bed, a broken blind and single glazing, so a lot of noise came from the alley until the small hours. The shared kitchen is in another building, which is a bit inconvenient. They should add a microwave and kitchen sink to the little kettle room.

Great friendly helpful staff at the front desk.