Edinburgh Backpackers Reviews

65 Cockburn St, EH1 1BU, Edinburgh, Scotland

Had a great time at this hostel, the rooms were clean, the staff were very friendly and helpful. It also has nice common rooms for socialising. Will be back if I ever return to Edinburgh

This hostel is disgusting. There was chewed gum on the bunk I was in, the ladder fell as I was trying to get out, I didn't shower because I would have been dirtier after than when I got in. I left very early after a sleepless night just to get away from the filth. Extremely disappointed.

The location was perfect - the Royal Mile is just around the corner, Edinburgh Waverley station just 3 min walking distance. Staff was friendly and helpful. However, the facilities were terrible. I stayed in a private room, which wasn't located in the main building but in a different building at Fleshmarket Close. Everything was old and dirty. There was no staff at this building.

The staff was by far th best part! Highly recommend!

• 10th Jun 2015

We had a great time with Edinburgh Backpackers. The Staff and atmosphere was wonderful and made our trip even better. The location of the hostel is unbeatable and put us right in the center of the city. The hostel was clean and secure. We particularly enjoyed the discount with the Southern Cross Cafe next door. We had breakfast there every morning. Thanks for helping us have such a great trip. We will be back!

• 6th Jun 2015

Very friendly staff Much cleaner than I expected a Backpackers to be Water in the shower (main building, 3rd floor) was cold No facilities for preparing a meal at 8, Fleshmarket Close Our room 6 at 8, Fleshmarked Close was extremely small. As I saw that there are bigger ones as well, I would have liked an information or possibility for selection when booking.

• 5th Jun 2015
  • All Male Group, 41+

It was surprise to pay extra 3 GBP (4,2 EUR or 4,6 USD) to leave the luggage for couple hours after check out on reception! There are no free tea/coffee, nor sugar for guests on the kitchen. Not the most coziest and guest-friendly hostel I have visited ever.

never put a person wo has paid money and traveled across the ocean in a room without a window. i will not return to this hostel.

• 4th Jun 2015

Sorry you didnt enjoy your stay but thank you for your feedback. All our rooms have windows, they are just behind the curtains. Good luck with the rest of your travels.

Excellent location, really helpful staff, highly recommended! Showers were cold on the first morning of my stay, but they were fixed promptly. Everything else was great!

The staff is very nice. It very suitable the traveller with backpackers. However, I'm travel with the suitcase, I found it is difficult to me to carry it to upstairs and without lift. The kitchen is very well enough, all of the tools for meal can find. The TV connect is not stable enough but it's fine.

• 31st May 2015
  • Hong Kong

Signage for room wasn't accurate but other than that I have no complaints.

• 29th May 2015
  • Scotland

Three of us stayed in the 3-bed room, located opposite the main building of the hostel. I cannot vouch for the main building with communal dorms, but our facilities (huge room with kitchen and a bathroom) were amazing and very clean. They provided towels, and basic kitchen stuff. Staff was hugely friendly and helpfull. Only a couple of slight negative points: the internet did not work in our building, and the windows are single-glazed, hence cold room and loud nights (located in busy street).

• 29th May 2015

The location was great. The staff were helpful. It was incredibly loud at night. The room was really dirty. It looked like it hadn't been vacuumed in weeks. The bathroom was disgusting as well. The furniture in the rooms was a little beat up as well. That's not a problem, but some of the lockers looked like they might fall apart if they had a heavy backpack put in them.

Good atmosphere, location great and staff super helpful and friendly. I was happy not to have to use the showers. The luggage store service is great!

The 10 pound deposit for keys seemed a little high, they charged 3 pounds to watch your bag for the day, if you arrived early or had to check out before you had to leave. Not to mention a hidden additional fee that I was forced to pay above the total amount Hostelworld stated was remaining to pay. The man I believe to be the manager was rude, rushing and hostel (pardon the double entendre) towards me & wouldn't let me check in unless I paid an overage, even though I had already paid the amt owed

The shower stalls were small, but I now realize that is the norm in Scotland. My first shower was freezing, but I guess I just went at the wrong time (same time as everyone else), because all my other showers were nice and hot.

Really nice place, friendly, lively, cheery, near shops, bars and restraints, 5mins from train station, comfy bed. Was a pleasure. Great value!!!

• 27th May 2015

The location of this hostel literally cannot be beat! Right in the thick of things. Easy to go back to during the day if you need to. The staff were very friendly and I met some really nice people. Had a good kitchen to use and lots of bathroom/shower stalls.

Excellent location and good staff. Spacious rooms and friendly atmosphere and the discount for breakfast really appreciated. What need to improve is cleaning in the bathroom, but in the complex Was a nice stay .

It was a good hostel. The location was ideal. However the showers weren't the best: I had some cold showers.