Edinburgh Backpackers Reviews

65 Cockburn St, EH1 1BU, Edinburgh, Scotland

There was damages in the bathroom, which causes flooding an no one looked after it. the bathrooms where dirty and in a poor condition.

• 20th Oct 2015
  • Scotland

Permanent problems with no-hot water. Employed stuff was "too homelike".

The location was excellent; on this basis alone I would recommend it to other people. But if you're looking for a comfortable, clean place to stay, this isn't it. The staff were on the whole friendly and helpful, although there was one who didn't seem to speak English - this would have been okay if we'd been in a country where English wasn't the first language but as it was... The shower curtains were oddly sheer, and our food was stolen despite being clearly labelled. Very disappointing.

Has a great location and you can have a decent stay here but the set up of the hostel isn't the best. Wasn't much of a fan. After staying in other hostels in town Id definitely look for something else. If your looking for a hostel in the area and a place to lay your head its an alright hostel.

I stayed in a 8 bed dorm - the room was so dirty, there were stains all over the carpet so much so that I wore shoes the entire time. The lockers where dented and looked like people had tried to break in before. Bathrooms were ok. Kitchen facilities were pretty good. Wifi slow at times.

We took private room. Lovely room, actually a flat. Very gorgeous. We can't ask better than that. Great location, just in city centre and near airport bus stop. We loved it.

• 10th Oct 2015

Noises room i have ever slept in ...it was like sleeping in a room where a herd of elephants woke me every hour or so as they trouped above my head. As for the local drug and drunk addicts in the alcove accross the street harassing some poor travel in the evening ...wheres the local number to call police etc

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your stay. We have the best location in town but with that comes a bit of noise, as for what people do out on the street at night, that is out of our control. People come to Edinburgh to enjoy themselves, especially on the weekend, and some are louder than others, good luck with the rest of your travels.

Had an extraction fan outside room - it was a little noisy. Also shower rooms looked a little old. Liked staff and atmosphere, it somehow reminded me a little great movie "Big Lebowsky". :)

Excellent. Ticks positively all the boxes: Staff, Ambience, Facilities, Location, Value, etc. Thanks guys!

I had an awesome stay. I arrived at the hostel at 2 in the morning and they were so nice to let me stay in an bunk room as I was booked for the next day in a shared private. The location, service and cleanness was really good also for the price is really great too. Im staying at this hostel again if I'm in Edinburgh and I'm so telling my friends and family about this place!!!!

Great Hostel , perfect location, very clean and friendly. Marek and all the staff doing a good job to make you stay as nice as possible. I would come here always again. Thanks to everyone.

Very nice location! Right next to the royal mile, but in a more quiet street. Bathroom really dirty though and not a lot of room to hang your stuff on. Beds were comfy, room nice and big.

Private ensuite double bed room; Would stay there again!

I did have fun here, but unfortunately the weekends I could not sleep because at two o`clock one or two roommates packed, rattling, turned on the light, they talks by phone, or streamed to the phone, in a word, without regard to the fact that you want it to relax.

My AVERAGE response to cleanliness was based on dormitory floors & under beds were dusty / sticky like not actually washed in LONG time! Everything else reasonable / good. Common to other hostels, everyone puddling with same 2-3 soggy dish towels. Why not encourage folks to wash &a drip dry, putting away any dry dishes before you wash yours to manage space. Folks would auto select from clean things on trays rather than cupboards. Both practicality & hygiene would get a boost!

Great location, nice rooms, lovely staff.

I stayed one night in a private room with my sister and brother. We all liked the hostel. The room was big enough for us also it had a kitchen inside. Hostel's location is also good. It was easy to go everywhere by walking. It is near to shops, cafes and markets. We had great time here. If I come to Edinburgh again I will stay here again!

This place had great potential but the concept of hosteling evolved and it might have been great years ago but now it's just old, dirty and overcrowded. I literally bumped my face into someone's feet every morning. That's not required. I just think things should be readjusted because it has really great potential.

My double room very bad and dirty, tv cannot work, toilet hot water and cold water litte all not as my wish.

• 19th Sep 2015
  • Hong Kong

Four flights of stairs to stay in a fire trap. The door locks were minimal (skeleton keys, no less)! No hot water in one of the showers. Many "guests" stay here in exchange for cleaning the hostel. How secure is that? How dedicated are these "guests" to clean? I left 3 days early only to get a partial refund! Ugh!

• 18th Sep 2015