Edinburgh Backpackers Reviews

65 Cockburn St, EH1 1BU, Edinburgh, Scotland

We were in a twin single room, which was located in a separate building to the main hostel (when we booked we weren't told this would be a seperate location on booking). The building was tired, it lacked facilities & was generally dirty. The window was also broken and as our room overlooked a busy road it was v loud at night. Overall disappointing and not good value for money. Main hostel may be better, but side building lacked atmosphere, facilities and felt isolated.

I was not told that a double ensuite room will be in a different building. this caused a lot of inconvenience when we needed to use the kitchen as we need to bring all our stuff and walk back to the main building. The cleanliness is not good as well (for instance dust along the window, and the corridor).

• 16th Sep 2015
  • Malaysia

Location is excellent, wifi is good throughout the hostel. Helpful and friendly staff, had great couple of days here and thoroughly enjoyed my time in the scottish capital. Good base for sightseeing and is 30 seconds walk from the royal mile!

The communal bathrooms aren't very good. Barely anywhere to put your clothes while you shower, and you need to be ok with showing yourself naked as there's no privacy. Bed was comfortable and location is spot on. Rooms are lovely and big and the beds are well spaced apart.

• 11th Sep 2015

Good place. Right in the heart of Edinburgh. Staff was pretty helpful, kitchen was good. Bathrooms a little dingy but showers were good. Great for what you're paying. Lockers in the rooms big enough for packs, they provide lock keys. 5 pound deposit but you get it back if you don't lose the key! I'd stay here again

Only positive aspect of this hostel is its location. Apart from that, it was surely the worst hostel I have ever stayed over 20 countries I've visited. - room located at different building (creepy alley leading second building) - my room was dark, dirty, and smelly (there were pigeon's dirt all over the window) - bunk beds extremely old and tremendous noisy - wifi didn't work there - Common room and kitchen only in the main building - Common room fits only 15 people - I wish I could write more..

Brilliant price for location ,had a single clean room,how ever right at the top ,about 5 floors up ,,need to be told about this prior ,although I did make it up there,positive ,no noise up there and u just can not complain at the price,thought the bathroom showers would be packed ,but quite free ,,only 2 showers for how many people on the floor?? ,u get what u pay for and this was way above for where it was ,girl on desk was very professional .have a nice one in Thailand ,

Great location. Had to wait a while to check in. Only problem was that I woke up in the middle of the night absolutely covered in bites..had about 10 on my right arm and another 5 on my left. Luckily there was a spare bed in the room so I just jumped in there for the rest of the night - we were only staying one night but I still have bite marks 2 weeks later! Not bad for a quick nights stay but I probably wouldn't want to stay here for too long. There's no lift for those with lots of bags!

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Edinburgh backpackers. The staff was very friendly and cooperative! This was the second time I stayed here and I am definitely going back. Thank You for the experience!!

• India

Me and my partner were seeing Foo Fighters at night so chose the hostel to stay in. Staff were lovely on arrival, very friendly. Sadly the room wasn't up to much (double bed private) as it had an weird smell and there were flies everywhere. We didn't think the sheets were clean on the bed. Toilets/showers were pretty poor too, not that clean, bad smell, just generally not very nice. The price we each paid for the one night was definitely not worth it. Wouldn't go back.

• Scotland

I've never had a bad hostel experience before this one (and I alway stay at cheap plaes). There were hidden fees galore, poorly thought out rooms, dirty everything, and rude staff. In all fairness, the actual staff was good, however they let backpackers earn their stay by working. This would be fine if it weren't for the fact that these people were not only hopelessly incompetent but rude as well.

• 8th Sep 2015

The location was very good for what me and my friend needed it for was a quick place to sleep. However i would not recommend this place to anyone. We were given a bottom bunk and top bunk. The top bunk had nothing to get you to the top nor did it provide any protection if you were to roll over you will fall off. Then there's the fact that we checked in about 3.00 o clock, when we came back we found that they had given my flat mates bed away by mistake and took two hours to find her a new one.

• Scotland

Nice place to stay, great location. bathrooms need a bit of an overhaul though

Not the best hostel. Showers were lukewarm (some didn't work) and no ladder for beds.

• 7th Sep 2015

Bathroom floor is extremely wet, you can see some fungus on the bath curtains and walls.

This was the dirtiest, most lacking of any amenities, old, dark and gross place I have stayed so far on my RTW trip. Awful. Only ok thing is location.

The room are okay, but there is only two little common rooms with only space for around 15 peoples (the hostel can host at leat a 100). Also the kitchen is very small, very hot and poorly ventilated.

• 4th Sep 2015

Nach unsere Rundreise durch Schottland mussten wir einfach noch mal nach Edinburgh fahren! Das Hostel liegt direkt in der Altstadt und mann kann alles super zu Fuss ablaufen. Denoch war es sehr ruhig. Klasse Mitarbeiter, die einen zur jeder Zeit wieterhelefen konnten! Drei Daumen nach oben!!!! ;)

• 31st Aug 2015

The female showers are not practical, there is no space to get changed or leave your stuff when showering

• 31st Aug 2015

The location for the second building is rather dodgy. Dark alley, right in front of "public urinal" or "mugger's corner" or what other clever names you can come up to that cranny right in front of the door. For a record, there was an overdose incident in that corner which police was investigating during our stay.