Edinburgh Backpackers Reviews

65 Cockburn St, EH1 1BU, Edinburgh, Scotland

The 10 pound deposit for keys seemed a little high, they charged 3 pounds to watch your bag for the day, if you arrived early or had to check out before you had to leave. Not to mention a hidden additional fee that I was forced to pay above the total amount Hostelworld stated was remaining to pay. The man I believe to be the manager was rude, rushing and hostel (pardon the double entendre) towards me & wouldn't let me check in unless I paid an overage, even though I had already paid the amt owed

The shower stalls were small, but I now realize that is the norm in Scotland. My first shower was freezing, but I guess I just went at the wrong time (same time as everyone else), because all my other showers were nice and hot.

Really nice place, friendly, lively, cheery, near shops, bars and restraints, 5mins from train station, comfy bed. Was a pleasure. Great value!!!

• 27th May 2015

The location of this hostel literally cannot be beat! Right in the thick of things. Easy to go back to during the day if you need to. The staff were very friendly and I met some really nice people. Had a good kitchen to use and lots of bathroom/shower stalls.

Excellent location and good staff. Spacious rooms and friendly atmosphere and the discount for breakfast really appreciated. What need to improve is cleaning in the bathroom, but in the complex Was a nice stay .

It was a good hostel. The location was ideal. However the showers weren't the best: I had some cold showers.

Nice cosy hostel and great location! Would stay here again :)

We stayed in a private room, which was not located in the main building of the hostel, but in a different building across the road with all other private rooms of the hostel. It was very quiet and clean. The room was big and confy. We felt like we were more in a hotel room than in a hostel which was a pleasant surprise. You also get a discount for breakfast in a nice little small café next door with good food.

• 23rd May 2015

The place is terribly untidy! There is only one female bathroom and it looked as if it had never been cleaned. The only cool things about this hostel is that, if you stay there, you get a discount at the cafe next door. The cafe is just amazing!

Good hostel: perfect position just off the royal mile, nice and clean rooms and helpful staff. Only remark is that wifi was lacking in the building where our room was located

Great location, friendly staff. The girl's bathroom got crowded pretty frequently and the toilets ran out of toilet paper a couple times, among other things (basically the showers/bathrooms weren't that great). Also I was a little bit annoyed that we had to pay £3 to store our luggage on the day we were leaving so we could do some sightseeing. Almost every hostel I've stayed in has always offered to do so for free.

• 23rd May 2015

Location was great, right in the old town seconds from the royal mile. Rooms were fine and each bed had two outlets to charge electrics. Only complaint is the cleanliness of bathroom. If you are staying for a few nights and don't need to shower it's perfect but if staying there long term id look for a cleaner place.

The location of this hostel is absolutely perfect, literally in the center of old town and new town. Close to all the bars - but the downside of this is that it was very noisy at night, but earplugs are available at the desk. Definitely recommend!

The single rooms in a separate building are small but decent value for money given the central location. However, it was very dirty with old ash and breadcrumbs on the windowsill next to the bed, a broken blind and single glazing, so a lot of noise came from the alley until the small hours. The shared kitchen is in another building, which is a bit inconvenient. They should add a microwave and kitchen sink to the little kettle room.

Great friendly helpful staff at the front desk.

Enjoyable -like stay with you last year---but too short ( deadline to be back in Lon- ) ----special thanks to very helpful staff members Marek and Scott-----Thanks John & Diana H--(after sentimental visit to Glasgow and Dundee)

It's a good backpackers. All the staff were easy to get along with. The beds were good and facilities were interesting, which gave the place character. Being right in the heart of the old town was fantastic, and it's very close to the train station.

Me and my girlfriend stayed in a private room for a night before catching a plane early the next morning. We arrived and checked in and the friendly receptionist took is to our room which was across the street from the main building, and right on the Royal Mile. The room was one of two in a flat, and it was furnished with a spacious bed and a good size table. We had to leave at 4 in the morning but reception is open 24 hours so this was no problem, a great overnight stay.

Very well located in Old town, close to main places to visit. Many pubs and restaurants close to the hostel. Rooms and beds are well enough to sleep well after a day spent at wondering around in Edinburg. Showers and toilettes are clean. Staff is nice and kind. There a safe parking at 5 minutes from the hostel to live your car or your motorbike. For breakfast there's a café nextdoor with 15% discount for hostel recidents. Just a bit noisy on Saturday night but acceptable.

• 16th May 2015

The hostel was great. It was in a central location, right off of the royal mile. The staff was super friendly and helpful with anything. Overall, a fantastic experience.

• 15th May 2015