Edinburgh Backpackers Reviews

65 Cockburn St, EH1 1BU, Edinburgh, Scotland

Amazing location and pretty chilled vibe. Only 1 set of Men's toilets and showers which was a bit annoying but not a major deal breaker. Pretty cool place.

very noisy

Does not allow bicycles or otherwise make any room to acomidate guests needs. Strict policies aimed at protecting themselves at guests expense. Don't make reservation in advance as you can' cancel. Good location and well decorated, poor every thing else.

Location and staff were very good. BThe condition of the bathrooms kind of killed what might have been a much better experience. Shower stalls were quite dirty and hot water was almost always unavailable.

I would recommend this hostel to any traveller. I stayed in a 8 bed dorm and the room was very clean and the staff was very polite, helpful and informative.

We stayed in room 8. We appreciated the space & facilities although the hot tap in the basin is not connected. However, other guests were extremely noisy. We expected movement at all hours because of the Festival but did not expect people to slam doors, talk loudly and jump up and down the stairs. The 1st night we had an hour or two sleep. Perhaps a notice pointing out to the people upstairs that there is a room right by that entrance door and every sound is magnified and please be quiet!

• 15th Aug 2014

I liked it - common room, games room, well-maintained kitchen - what's not to like? :-)

Best part of the hostel: very good location and nice staff. They helped me out to know where to go and to find someone to sell my tickets. They are great!

it's really good,even better live near the station!

• 13th Aug 2014
  • China

Was only spending two nights in Edinburgh and this place was perfect. Really amazing building plus all the important things. Clean, great staff, amazing location and everything you would want. Would stay again in a heartbeat.

Nice place. Super location i the middel of the old city near the royal mile. Would recomend

Great location, lovely staff and a good hostel. Shame there are so many stairs!!

The place is very nice, with a fun winding staircase that leads to each floor. The room was spacious with tall ceilings, although, being centrally located, it can be noisy at night. This was worse because I was staying there during the Fringe Festival. However it should be noted that there is almost always a festival going on in Edinburgh! There were a lot of plug-ins in the room, and spacious lockers available. However I could not get warm water when I went to take a shower...

We were bowled over by the customer service, particularly for somewhere on the cheaper end of the scale. An issue with a broken en-suite shower was not only fixed promptly but the entire unit was replaced and we were given a free breakfast and free bag storage due to the inconvenience. Very impressed. Incredibly friendly staff. We would return and recommend to friends.

• Scotland

Located in the heart of Edinburgh, and 1 block away from Waverley station, not much atmosphere in this hostel. Staff is helpful and kind.

Warm atmosphère , Pity you ve got some insectes in the bed , you'd better clean it ! It´s expensive for what it is .

• 10th Aug 2014

We were given a room just off Fleshmarket Close. There was no window to see out of and the bathroom was dirty-particularly the shower. The noise was REALLY AWFUL. This was probably the worst part of the stay. People BANGING all doors and floors constantly from around 7am onwards. It was like an earthquake everytime the stairs were used. VERY NOISY. Sleep was limited. The room was very stuffy with no ventilation. Not a pleasant stay compared to other hostels in which I've stayed in Edinburgh.

• Scotland

For £25 per night I would expect a 6 bed dorm, ventilation in the room and a free luggage minding service. To charge hostellers to keep their luggage for a couple of hours is outrageous. I would always prefer Scottish Youth Hostels. I would also prefer a female only dorm.

• 8th Aug 2014

Unfortunately during the festival the prices are higher in Edinburgh. If you book a 14 bed dorm you will get a 14 bed dorm. We have both 6 bed dorms and all female dorms as advertised on hostelworld which you could have booked if that is what you wanted. Or if you had have asked at reception when you arrived we would have tried to accomadate you.

Good value for my money, lovely staff, amazing location. I would stay here again without a doubt!

• 8th Aug 2014

Can be quite noisy at night (from street & also other guests) also quite hot in room even tho it was cold out I stayed during the fringe festival so it was jam packed. The bathrooms were dirty throughout my stay. I was on a top bunk in middle of room (so not against wall) & neither side had rails so felt quite unsafe. There was also no proper ladder to any of the top bunks so was awkward to get up & down, particularly at night. I asked to be moved but was not helped. Would not stay here again