Edinburgh Backpackers Reviews

65 Cockburn St, EH1 1BU, Edinburgh, Scotland

Great private room, good size and well presented. We liked how quiet it was in the top of the hostel.

Large space, great location, busy hostel.

Everything was fantastic! Can't think of a part I didn't like.

Great stay! Staff were really friendly and cool. WIFI fast and worked in the dorms. Would definitely stay there again!

• 11th Jul 2015

The room is dissappointed with the money I paid. The room is small and have nothing else. I couldnot open the window and the view is blocked by trees and other trees.

We stayed in a 4-bed private in a separate building which was ok, and considering the price, good value for money. Staff was friendly during check-in. Only bad experience was the fire alarm which went off at 6am, followed by knocking on the door. We evacuated but nobody was outside to tell us what was going on. Turned out to be a water leakage when we asked at the reception in main building. Please staff, if the fire alarm goes off, go to the evacuation spot and tell us if everything is ok!!!

Great location. Mid point of new and old town. Walking distance to every place.

Bedrooms were fine as far as cleanliness went, but the bathrooms were quite filthy. It'd be nice if they were cleaner.

Great location - so close to everything! All the staff were helpful and very friendly - good group of people in charge there, gave some great suggestions on the sites to see. Clean rooms and facilities - couldn't be happier, would absolutely stay again :)

Not much of an atmosphere. But if you venture one minute down the street for the €7 pub crawl you will have a great time. Wifi did not work in the rooms so everyone in the common area was just on their phones. This place was cheap and had a decent bed. Everything you need is nearby. Staff were nice and helpful.

Everything would it be alright if they had cleaning staff. I saw a bunch of people "working" there but it seems that none of them bother in keeping the place clean. The kitchen and the toilets were disgusting, counters and floors. The rooms are never cleaned, at least not under the beds, there was rubbish and some dirty socks of somebody else under my bed when I got to the room and they stood there for my whole stay.

I enjoyed my stay at Edinburgh Backpackers. The location is excellent, very close to all of the city's main attractions. The wi-fi did not work very well in the room I was in but worked much better in the common room a couple floors below. The upper bunk beds did not have security rails or ladders (although you can ask for a ladder and the staff will get you one) which would have concerned me had I not been on the lower bed.

Best thing about this place is the location. Staff are also great. My room was on the fifth floor and there were no elevators, no lockers, bathrooms could have been cleaner, and the atmosphere wasn't super great, but otherwise decent hostel

Our room was in a separate building downstairs an alley and the window was ground level, anyone could have peed there and that would have been very disgusting. In addition, the whole facilities in our building were extremely hot with no air circulation, meanwhile the room was extremely cold and wet. Furthermore, the bathroom was quite dirty when we got there, not sure if they had cleaned it before our arrival. Finally, there was no shampoo or shower gel when in other cheaper hostel there were.

• 4th Jul 2015
  • Spain

The location of the hostel was unbeatable, walk out of the hostel and you are at the Royal Miles. The stuffs were very friendly and the shower does the job. The only down side was that during my stay there was a drunk middle age man sitting at the reception which I was a little confused/

The hostel was fine. The rooms were clean, but the beds could use some work. The ladders to the top bunks were not attached, which caused some falling off in the middle of the night. The lockers were awesome in that they held a full backpack, but they were not attached to anything, so they were liable to start tipping over when you tried to get your stuff out. There are only a few power outlets for each room and they are by the door, so having a travel alarm clock is definitely nice.

Excellent place to stay. Very convienently located, close to the train station, close to the supermarket and located right on the main road of Pitlochry. The receptionist, Ryan, was a fantastic guy. Cheers from the Canadian duo, man.

Great stay in a location that couldn't be better. Staff were super friendly and made everything easy.

• 1st Jul 2015

It was not possible to close window, window was in front of the street and a street light. So it was very loud and bright. shutter was extremly dusty so it was disgusting to touch it. Bathroom wasnt clean at all and most toilet doors where broken so you couldnt lock it. Shower looked just terrible and I didnt wanted to use it. Toilet paper was always empty. No options to put down bags in the bath room.

• 30th Jun 2015

We stayed in a 2 person twin bed en-suite room. In the bathroom the hot water tap did not work and the shower had very little pressure. The floor was not very clean overall, especially in a cupboard, which had some very unpleasant black stains that could even have been rats' or mice excrements (we did not investigate it). Overall just about bearable for one night, but very bad value for money despite great location.

• 30th Jun 2015