Edinburgh Backpackers Reviews

65 Cockburn St, EH1 1BU, Edinburgh, Scotland

Location is excellent and private rooms are good value for the money. Other than that I would not recommend this place. We had early morning flight and tried to check out (there should be 24h reception), but no one let us in to the main building to do that. We didn't have extra time to wait (15 min was enough) so we actually lost our key deposit.

Was in a great location in the centre of Edinburgh. We had a small apartment that included a kitchen (although shared bathroom). The value for what we paid was excellent.

Really tatty and needs some work and decorating. Facts you should know but were not told is that the inside of the main hostel has stairs like a lighthouse and they just go up and up. There is no option other than to walk up which anyone with a mobility disability should bear in mind. Cannot knock the great location but that is the best you can say about it. The rest is dire and not an experience to be repeated

• 30th Nov 2013

central location and friendly staff, but the room was cold, the radiators were not working.

• 30th Nov 2013

I was positively suprised by the quality of the room nice spacious and clean :) great! The only unconvienient thing was a trouble with opening a door ( there was a night table standing on a way).

• 28th Nov 2013
  • Poland

This hostel is at a fantastic location, near both Old Town and New Town. The price is very good at well. Nothing much to complain.

Shower wasn't great, tv broke(not that we were going to watch it), back fine exit door left open, small window in room. Bed was comfy. Location great. Probably one of the poorer hostels I have stayed in.

• 27th Nov 2013
  • Scotland

The staff in this place are great.. Very friendly and nice and helpful.. I think like a lot hostels in Edinburgh it has a very down under feel to it.. I have stayed here on and off for 10 years now and I think the place has what people need.. The beds I think are the same ones from when I first stayed here. The wifi works, the kitchen works, the bathrooms work, the lounge works and its got a great set of stairs.. Go Movember!!

Does the job. Fantastic location but the noise from both the street and other guests was really really inconvenient. We had a twin private ensuite room. It was as basic as it gets, the TV didn't work and there was little insulation/protection from noise. However, the room itself was adequate and the bathroom was nice. If you want a cheap place to stay, right in the centre of the city, then this hostel could be ideal for you. If you're looking for something a bit more peaceful, then maybe not.

• 21st Nov 2013

Great location, Value for money, cosy en-suite room, nice and warm and clean.

• 18th Nov 2013

Despite being on the top floor and having to brave the abundance of stairs several times a day, I LOVED this hostel! Especially the staff - nicest people I met on the whole trip!

• 15th Nov 2013

Large room with kitchen just for us (me and my girlfirend) with shared bathroom very very cleaned, directly on cockburn street that is one of the nicest street of edinburgh. Really romantic

• 12th Nov 2013

Ideal location and good value for money.

Noise. During the night (10 PM to 3AM or more) a lot of NOISE. The location and the staff are excellent, the facilities are very good too. But the horrible noise during the night are is a very bad thing. May be some rules must be apply.

A little bit disapointed at the end of my stay as the staff wasn't very nice. They wanted us to pay in order to let our luggage a couple of hours.

• 5th Nov 2013

The towels were dirty, and the mattress , duvet all smelled, room was not heated properly. Mould in the bath room, no soap provided.

Great hostel, the best location to the royal mile and very quite, would stay again

• 3rd Nov 2013

I booked a private room and it was really lovely. We didn't expect it was gonna be so cosy and complete. It had its own kitchen and bathoroom, so I just can keep nice memories of my stay there. Besides, it is very central.

• 1st Nov 2013
  • Spain

Just beds to small for tall people.. But other than that it is fine.. Right near to the train station and the the royal mile just up the street..

Just the beds for taller people suck.. Where the leg boards are, take the panels out and let the feet free.. I have stayed 6 times over the last 10 years and the staff they have had at each time are great.. Very friendly and helpful.. Great location.. The showers are a bit hit and miss though..