Edinburgh Backpackers Reviews

65 Cockburn St, EH1 1BU, Edinburgh, Scotland

Wouldn't grumble for the price. Location is very good. However only 2 sockets in an 8 bed dorm, meant I had to leave my phone in reception to charge each day. I had to move into another room on my 3rd night where the bunks had no ladders.

• 5th Aug 2014
  • Wales

A nice hostel in a good location. Stayed in a 14 bed mixed dorm which was good, although the beds were too close together so people's feet could be touching others heads and you had to pay extra to use the lockers in the rooms. Also had to pay to have them store luggage, even just for a couple of hours. Showers were very tiny with no doors (only small curtains), and at times only had cold water. Nice kitchen and common room area with TV.

Bathrooms need upgrading.

• 2nd Aug 2014
  • New Zealand

The room i stayed in was 14 people. I was 6 months pregnant, trying to get on a top bunk without a ladder. There was no where else to sleep though. The main street was too loud to sleep. The common room was comfy. I ended up using it when I couldnt sleep

Stayed here during the Comed Festival. Was slightly unnerved by reviews on tripadvisor, but with no reason!! The staff are amazing: they're helpful, they're friendly and really down to earth. The location is right in the centre and they're lockers in the room to put in valuables if you're sharing a dorm with people you don't know. It's not clean by hotel room standards, but it still is clean enough.

• 2nd Aug 2014

Very friendly staff always available in a very busy time. The booking software could be better in that I was late booking and didn't want to book a large dorm so had to book different rooms every night depending what was available. Each one meant a separate booking so we had to leave each day and book back in. The staff were great and made this as easy as possible for us but it was more work for them and a bit tedious for us. Super location and a great old building.

• 1st Aug 2014
  • New Zealand

Really impressed with our trip to the hostel. We had a double private room in a separate building, which was lovely and quiet even though it was only a two minute walk onto the mile which is absolutely fantastic. The facilities were clean, useful (kitchen with all amenities) and we couldn't have asked for anything better from a hostel in peaktime in Edinburgh! The lovely man behind reception was friendly and helpful and was genuinely interested in our stay. Thanks so much, Hoppo - excellent!!

• 1st Aug 2014

This review is about a PRIVATE PENTHOUSE, I haven't experimented shared facilities and rooms. The Penthouse is great, there's a good bed, private bathroom/shower, there's even a couch where you can do some reading. There was a kitchen (which I wasn't expecting) with fridge, kettle and microwave. To me it was great. There no TV, which was not a problem for my husband and I. The only down side is that it's in the top floor, so there are many steps from the ground floor up to the room.

The hostel in general was dirty, and the water in the showers was cold. I didn't use the kitchen, and when I asked to leave my backpack stored after the check out until 4 o'clock they charged me £3. I think is too much.

• 31st Jul 2014
  • Spain

Really appreciated how QUIET it was. Thankyou!!

• 31st Jul 2014

The hostel is a great location to the train station and the royal mile street. However the girls bathroom was quite dirty. The toilets got clogged alot and the shower floor was quite slippery.

Extremely helpful staff who were keen to chat and share ideas

• 30th Jul 2014
  • Scotland

I stayed at the hostel with a friend and her 10 year old son we had originally booked a twin room for just the two of us but due to a problem her son had to come as well but I emailed the hostel and they were happy to upgrade our room to a triple the only problem was when we arrived we found the room only had a double and single bed we did tell some one who said she would sort it out but my friend was happy to share with her son so not a problem, the small kitchen in the room was a nice surprise

• 30th Jul 2014
  • Scotland

They have a bedbug problem that they can't seem to fix.

Good hostelling experience overall - the staff were friendly and the facilities were clean and quiet. A few things - you're required to leave a deposit for the room key which must be in cash, which they don't tell you in advance. As well, there's an adverstised discount breakfast for the café next door, which we eagerly took advantage of, only to find that the breakfast you're paying for is actually less than the regular breakfast (you're paying less, but you're also getting less food!).

• 29th Jul 2014

Very close to main station and old town. Good to sight-seeing location. Just one funny thing... why there are no stairs on the bed?! How can we climb up and down!? Female 8 beds dorm is not bad. Kitchen is poor. Common space is narrow.

nice Staff! Lovely Location. Thank you very much Kashina

• 28th Jul 2014

TERRIBLE! AWFUL! i think that this hostel should be closed. they should feel ashamed of making people pay for staying in such an awful and discuting place. my room was not only horrible and dirty but i had a super dirty curtain and chair i was scared to touch them. my mattress everyday smelled so repugnantly. full of mold and i would be surprised to find a mouse or a roach in there. i've payed 40€ for that room and i think it was the worst experience in my life.

I didn't use all the facilities...literally just used a private twin room. I have stayed in hostels all over Europe. Great location hence the price, but noisy if your in the second building right next to a busy loud alley way. Room was tiny and I think the room had bed bugs as after two nights I am covered in small bites that are irritating me two days later...literally covered in them. Not sure if the bedding sheets. If you want sleep and cleanliness...book a hotel!

• 28th Jul 2014

Excellent location, off the Royal Mile . Really easy to find from airport bus or waverly bridge train station. Beds were new and really comfy. Kitchen and common areas were well set up and it was easy to meet other travelers. Showers and toilets were a bit grubby but not too bad. Wifi was a bit unreliable but worked well whwhen connected. Would stay again.