Edinburgh Backpackers Reviews

65 Cockburn St, EH1 1BU, Edinburgh, Scotland

A good standard, cheap and central - I enjoyed my stay. The staff were friendly and helpful. The only thing to be aware of is the single room I booked is on the top floor and a steep climb - not easy with luggage although great exercise! Two suggestions from me for the hotel: (1) Have bed side lamps (2) In the showers, I didn't like having to risk leaving my stuff outside so it didn't get wet in the cubicle. Some kind of plastic box or shelf out of the shower hose range would be good. Thanks.

• 29th May 2014

The room we stayed in (private twin ensuite) was great, located besides the actual hostel in a quiet alley. The room was large and decent, but we didnt anticipate how noisy the room would be. You dont hear noise from the streets, but there's a machine that seems to randomly generate noise for a few minutes a few times each night, and the ceiling was made of wood so we could very clearly hear everybody move in and out of there in the morning. besides that: great place to stay

• 29th May 2014

The fact that u need to pay £3 for luggage storage it was way too expensive as it is per bag!! It is not even refundable. All other hostels i travelled in the world and in Edinburgh itself were free or at least a refundable deposit. The private rooms were not in the main building but it was not so far and it was rather quiet. There is a cafe next to it were u can have discount with any order as long as you are a guest in the hostel, it was a good deal. I stayed only 1 night and it was ok.

The hostel had problems with the card machine and I had to enter my PIN code many times. In the end it did not work and I had to pay in cash and was left with uncertainty if the money was or was not withdrawn from my account. At the moment, a week later, it seems that it was all fine, but still an unpleasant situation.

• 28th May 2014
  • Estonia

Very loud plumbing in the building, woke us up a few times in the night. Apart from that a great stay.

• 26th May 2014
  • New Zealand

Great staff. Stayed in the annexe. Room was poky and not well ventilated. Mens bathroom was a bit grubby. Location is excellent and overall experience is decent.

Rooms a little bit too expensive even if hostel could not be better kocated!

• 23rd May 2014

The private rooms are in an adjacent building, not the actual main hostel, which meant that the kitchen and other amenities weren't as convenient as expected. However, the wifi worked well in the private room and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The location is perfect and right in the heart of things.

• 21st May 2014

This was a lovely hostel although you should have said on the hostel bookers site in big letters that you need a passport also the stairs are a nightmare but all of Edinburgh is stairs so that does not matter.

• 21st May 2014

I was in the second building, another building, not the principal. dark rooms, old building, fatiscent door, a little windows in my room, no colours, no common room. I can't speack about the principal building but if unfotunately they will put you in the second building, you will fell like in a reformatory . after two days I change hostel and I go in another near the catsle (super!) In the backpacker hostel, at reception very cold and not smart

Right In the heart of the city just off the royal mile, it's a perfect place for a night or two. I am not the fairest critic as I arrived at 9pm and left at 7am the next morning but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Helps that I knew one of the staff from my hometown.

very nice and helpful staff not only at the hostel reception but also at the southern cross cafe (very recommended!). would stay there again anytime!

• 20th May 2014

Great place, in a great area! Staff and super friendly

Absolutely brilliant, could not have asked for anything more! Will definitely be back.

• 16th May 2014

Great hostel. Me and my girlfriend got a private room, which is like a 3 minute walk from the hostel, very comfortable and clean, with a awesome central location. Definitely recommend it!!

Great place, very central, perfect for a quick stay in Edinburgh, close to everything. Friendly staff.

• 14th May 2014

Really emjoyed my day there. With the location being in the middle of the tourists attractions, the price of this hostel was perfect. The staff were extremely friendly and the rooms were really comfortable to stay in. (There's also WIFI!!!). I'd definitely recommend staying here.

• 14th May 2014
  • Denmark

We loved staying at Edinburgh Backpackers Hostel :) the location was excellent and we made friends with the lovely staff members. Thankyou

Very nice hostel