Edinburgh Backpackers Reviews

65 Cockburn St, EH1 1BU, Edinburgh, Scotland

Awesome hostel. Lovely and clean. Best location and really helpful staff!

• 8th Aug 2014

I went there during the Fringe festival. This hostel is in a perfect location for the festival! it is right in the centre and everything was within walking distance. All the main attractions were nearby and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was not very clean, although staff did attempt to clean it daily. the floors still needed vacuuming. everything else was great though!

Excellent location as it was Between the royal mille and Waverley. Staff were great to talk to and helpful when it was needed. To be honest I didn't experience the hostel enough as I had so much planned and was out constantly leaving first thing in te morning and getting back gone 1am. But if anyone is looking for a place to stay in Edinburgh I recommend this hostel.

Friendly front desk staff

Loved it but the only issue was careying the luggage up 5 floors...a lift wud hav been handy but never mind :-)

• 7th Aug 2014
  • India

I enjoyed the breakfast deal. £5 for breakfast was brilliant value and made me wanna come back to this hostil next year for the fringe :)

• 6th Aug 2014

would recommend to anyone, especially firstly time visitors to Edinburgh and large groups as the location is at the heart of the historical Royal mile. it is less than a 5 minute walk from the train station or 10 minutes from the tram/bus. clean with friendly staff (the receptionist who greeted us was amazing). like all of edinburgh accommodation it can be pricey during popular festivals (fringe etc) but a real bargain during quieter months.

• 6th Aug 2014

We only had one night in Edinburgh so we were very happy with the location! The fringe festival just so happened to be right outside our door which was amazing. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Room was fantastic, loads of room. Could quiet happily stay there for a long period of time and feel comfortable. The whole vibe was great very funky backpackers. The only down fall was the stairs, we wanted a private room which was the penthouse so was a bit of a hike up the stairs but all worth it!

• 6th Aug 2014

Wouldn't grumble for the price. Location is very good. However only 2 sockets in an 8 bed dorm, meant I had to leave my phone in reception to charge each day. I had to move into another room on my 3rd night where the bunks had no ladders.

• 5th Aug 2014
  • Wales

I just stayed one night. The location is perfect!

A nice hostel in a good location. Stayed in a 14 bed mixed dorm which was good, although the beds were too close together so people's feet could be touching others heads and you had to pay extra to use the lockers in the rooms. Also had to pay to have them store luggage, even just for a couple of hours. Showers were very tiny with no doors (only small curtains), and at times only had cold water. Nice kitchen and common room area with TV.

Bathrooms need upgrading.

• 2nd Aug 2014
  • New Zealand

The room i stayed in was 14 people. I was 6 months pregnant, trying to get on a top bunk without a ladder. There was no where else to sleep though. The main street was too loud to sleep. The common room was comfy. I ended up using it when I couldnt sleep

Stayed here during the Comed Festival. Was slightly unnerved by reviews on tripadvisor, but with no reason!! The staff are amazing: they're helpful, they're friendly and really down to earth. The location is right in the centre and they're lockers in the room to put in valuables if you're sharing a dorm with people you don't know. It's not clean by hotel room standards, but it still is clean enough.

• 2nd Aug 2014

Very friendly staff always available in a very busy time. The booking software could be better in that I was late booking and didn't want to book a large dorm so had to book different rooms every night depending what was available. Each one meant a separate booking so we had to leave each day and book back in. The staff were great and made this as easy as possible for us but it was more work for them and a bit tedious for us. Super location and a great old building.

• 1st Aug 2014
  • New Zealand

Really impressed with our trip to the hostel. We had a double private room in a separate building, which was lovely and quiet even though it was only a two minute walk onto the mile which is absolutely fantastic. The facilities were clean, useful (kitchen with all amenities) and we couldn't have asked for anything better from a hostel in peaktime in Edinburgh! The lovely man behind reception was friendly and helpful and was genuinely interested in our stay. Thanks so much, Hoppo - excellent!!

• 1st Aug 2014

This review is about a PRIVATE PENTHOUSE, I haven't experimented shared facilities and rooms. The Penthouse is great, there's a good bed, private bathroom/shower, there's even a couch where you can do some reading. There was a kitchen (which I wasn't expecting) with fridge, kettle and microwave. To me it was great. There no TV, which was not a problem for my husband and I. The only down side is that it's in the top floor, so there are many steps from the ground floor up to the room.

The hostel in general was dirty, and the water in the showers was cold. I didn't use the kitchen, and when I asked to leave my backpack stored after the check out until 4 o'clock they charged me £3. I think is too much.

• 31st Jul 2014
  • Spain

Really appreciated how QUIET it was. Thankyou!!

• 31st Jul 2014

The hostel is a great location to the train station and the royal mile street. However the girls bathroom was quite dirty. The toilets got clogged alot and the shower floor was quite slippery.