Edinburgh Backpackers Reviews

65 Cockburn St, EH1 1BU, Edinburgh, Scotland

stayed August 23-27. When i booked i understood that we were going to have to switch rooms after one night because we wanted a private twin room. clueless that this hostel has 3 different locations we ended up having to visit all 3. 1st night was pretty good, kitchen and washroom okay. last 3 nights-bunk bed room was so small couldnt put our luggage anywhere NO kitchen in this one had to walk across the street and up stairs. not impressed bathrooms and hallways stunk. staff not helpful at all.

• 24th Aug 2014

Amazing staff, very helpful and excellent location. Will be returning for sure!

• 24th Aug 2014

The positives: the location is great (right next to the Royal Mile); the staff were very friendly. The main issue was that I returned home with an unwanted souvenir-about a hundred bedbugs bites (not exaggerating, I counted) on my legs and arms. The itching is horrible and also quite painful.They really need to address this problem. I spoke to other guests at the hostel who had the same experience. And let me just say it's not one I would want to experience again.

there was no hot water after 10am

We had a window in our room that couldn't be locked and was right next to a busy alleyway - a bit off putting. The hostel was a bit smelly but the room was ok. The shower was warm but there was little to no water pressure. The bed were comfy and warm. All round a basic hostel with basic facilities but in a great location. Perfect if all you need is somewhere to crash and nothing fancy.

• 22nd Aug 2014

Lots of stairs! Aussie guy at reception was awesome.

Excellent stay during the Edinburgh Fringe, and as our actual room was away from the main hostel it was nice to be somewhere slightly more quiet. The only issue we had was an odd sewer-like smell in the main corridor, but thankfully the room didn't smell and was clean. However the mattress could do with being changed as it drops in the middle. Overall an excellent stay, and for the price somewhere we'd consider again.

• 22nd Aug 2014

Good enough for one night stay in Edinburgh, I particularly enjoy the breakfast discount at Southern Cross Cafe next to the hostel.

The place is perfectly located, the rooms are good, the people are great. Not a bad thing to say about it.

The lady on the desk was absolutely lovely and very very helpful when I arrived, however the rooms were really dirty even for a hostel and I think they may have bed bugs as I woke up the next morning covered in bites. The chill room is really very tiny so when you get kicked out on the day of checkout there is nowhere for you to go you are basically on the streets. This was my 5th time back in Edinburgh and this is by far one of the least atmospheric and comfortable hostels Ive stayed in.

• 22nd Aug 2014

Literally only stayed about 6 hours but my impression was it was clean, had plenty of bathrooms and a lot of guests. Seemed like it would have been a fun place to hang out. Only complaints would be I checked in and was in a bit of a rush to get out again but I waited 5-10 minutes for a man to finish doing some unexplained task and the woman to stop having a personal phone call. Also the bunk beds could do with ladders for when you come in late, in the dark, with a drink or two in you.

This hostel has a great great location. Staff was also nice and friendly. Hostel itself is not the cleanest, but nothing very bad.

I got bitten by bed bugs and carry puss filled reminders of my stay. The front desk saw the bites and said they were from midges. They knew but denied it. Another woman in my dorm was also bitten. They should refund me the overinflated cost of staying there.

• 21st Aug 2014

Edinburgh Backpackers is in a fantastic location, two minutes up from Waverley Station and two minutes down from the Royal Mile. The cafe next door gives 15% discount on all food and drink and was well run with a decent menu. The facilities are basic hostel type, but the room was clean, there was a kitchen, laundry and sitting room with most things you could need, and tea and coffee-making facilities. Good value for money, especially for the Festival, Fringe and Tattoo.

• 21st Aug 2014

Good location, wifi works well even in the room. Only addition I would've liked is free luggage storage on the day of checkout after check out time (which they offer on the day of check in).

The room was dirty、smelly,wifi doesn't work in other build.

Decent beds and good common rooms. Very friendly and helpful staff. Next to no power points in the rooms I stayed in (8 dorm and 5 dorm) and all the tiles of the 5 dorm room were loose!

the facilities in the shower room is very poor. Have no lock in the door, both bath room door and outside door. This is very unsafe for female. And also the shower is pool. The bedding and carpet looks dirty.

location is awesome, close to the station and right next to main street. i was in a large dorm room but there were curtains for every 4 beds so there was some privacy which was nice. there were no windows in the dorm i was in, though, because it was in the basement so it got a little stuffy. bed was pretty flat.

Good hostel, great location and helpful,friendly staff, Only problem was that we were in the second building which didn't have very good ventilation, so it smelled of damp slightly. Also the radiator in the room couldn't be turned off so it was very very warm at night. But other than that a good hostel :)

• 19th Aug 2014