Edinburgh Backpackers Reviews

65 Cockburn St, EH1 1BU, Edinburgh, Scotland

Great location and friendly staff.

My Girlfriend and I stayed here for 1 night in an 8 bed dorm. We chose a hostel as it was cheap and we were going out for drinks that night before getting an early flight the next day. Biggest mistake we ever made, you pay for what you get, Staff are nice and helpful but this is a party hostel, room was noisy and smelly and bunks had bed bugs!! People were coming back at all hours drunk with no respect for the people trying to sleep, Stay here if you want to party otherwise avoid like the plague

Very pleasant and helpful staff. Perfect location. I will be back!

• 1st Nov 2014
  • Israel

Location is good. But the facility is not very good. The kitchen and the living are small. And the 16 mix dome room is on another building, very very inconvenient . Furthermore, leave luggage should pay 3 pounds when you check out. very bad! I will never choose it again. I know why the lonely planet doesn't recommend this to the backpackers. it's really not very good.

• 31st Oct 2014
  • China

I was placed in a different building, which made things a bit hard for using the common toom and the kitchen. Also over there the door was a bit odd placed and the wifi didi not worked until the last night. On the other hand it is a lovely location, 5 seconds away from where most tours start, and has a beautiful caffe next door that was also amazing. It is clean enough and you dont get cold!

• 31st Oct 2014
  • Mexico

The private room we stayed in was perfect. Very well located, this hostel was perfect for our short stay. The street is noisy, but we still had an amazing time there!

We had a double room with our own bathroom and it was okay... Unfortunately the room was not clean. There was mould in the bathroom, a lot of dust in the room and we found a sock, which was definitely not ours. Also I couldn't sleep, because I could hear a live music singer very loud. But all in all it was ok for a one night stay....

• 30th Oct 2014

Excellent location! We stayed in the separate building across the road so only went to the main reception twice but both times the staff were very friendly and helpful.

• 29th Oct 2014

Excellent central location and very close to all sightseeing venues. Good basic facilities but, ideally, I would have liked a T.V. in our room. I realize that having no T.V. does keep the cost down though! I liked the fact that there was a kitchen for making tea and coffee and for cooking meals in. Staff were friendly and helpful. I would definitely recommend this hostel to anyone who wanted a reasonably priced stay in Edinburgh.

• 29th Oct 2014

Staff were extremely helpful letting me in early to get ready for a wedding, the location was perfect right in the centre of the city and the value for money was great.

Our room was terribly dirty. That's a pety cause the location is excellent, right close to Waverly Station and to the city centre.. just 10 mins walk from Castle Rock. The price is a bit expensive, 35 € each for a private room of 4mq with twin bed in October..However it is a good solution to visit the city ( which is really wonderful) for a couple of days!

• 25th Oct 2014

Excellent location (central Edinburgh) and friendly, competent staff. Not suitable for older or disabled visitors as no lift, especially as single rooms all on top floor. Could do with a couple more chairs and hooks for putting stuff on in shower rooms, otherwise clothing, towels etc get wet.

• 25th Oct 2014
  • Scotland

Great location. Beds were good. I was upgraded to a single room which was nice due to painting. Would stay again

Excellent place to stay. Staff were very friendly and helpfull, rooms were nicer than most hostels I've stayed in. (TV and wifi in the room) No complaints, I would definitely stay here again.

The staff cleaned the Bathrooms every morning. They were really nice and helpful.

Stayed in the penthouse. Pretty good for the price. Stairs were a pain but life is suffering according to budda...

• 13th Oct 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed in a double room which was in another building than the main hostel. The room was lovely and in a perfect location. The building was quirky and a bit worn down so don't go here if you are very faint hearted. However, the room was really good value and we would certainly go again! One minus though: the hostel will charge you 2-3 pounds to store your luggage.

We stayed in a private double room and were surprised that the room had a TV. Good facilities, reasonably priced so perfect for a night out in Edinburgh.

• 11th Oct 2014
  • Scotland

No outlets in the actual room so you have to go into the common lounge. Also there was a heater but not plugged in since there are no outlets so kinda cold.

It was a lovely experience, however the noise from fellow guests was awful! At approximately 2am in morning my 11 year old daughter and myself were woken by exceptionally loud stomping and chanting/singing (?) coming from upstairs and throughout the night fellow guests shouting and banging unnecessarily when returning/leaving their rooms! This was not necessary in shared accommodation!

• 11th Oct 2014