Edinburgh Backpackers Reviews

65 Cockburn St, EH1 1BU, Edinburgh, Scotland

This hostel is at a fantastic location, near both Old Town and New Town. The price is very good at well. Nothing much to complain.

Shower wasn't great, tv broke(not that we were going to watch it), back fine exit door left open, small window in room. Bed was comfy. Location great. Probably one of the poorer hostels I have stayed in.

• 27th Nov 2013
  • Scotland

The staff in this place are great.. Very friendly and nice and helpful.. I think like a lot hostels in Edinburgh it has a very down under feel to it.. I have stayed here on and off for 10 years now and I think the place has what people need.. The beds I think are the same ones from when I first stayed here. The wifi works, the kitchen works, the bathrooms work, the lounge works and its got a great set of stairs.. Go Movember!!

Does the job. Fantastic location but the noise from both the street and other guests was really really inconvenient. We had a twin private ensuite room. It was as basic as it gets, the TV didn't work and there was little insulation/protection from noise. However, the room itself was adequate and the bathroom was nice. If you want a cheap place to stay, right in the centre of the city, then this hostel could be ideal for you. If you're looking for something a bit more peaceful, then maybe not.

• 21st Nov 2013

Great location, Value for money, cosy en-suite room, nice and warm and clean.

• 18th Nov 2013

Despite being on the top floor and having to brave the abundance of stairs several times a day, I LOVED this hostel! Especially the staff - nicest people I met on the whole trip!

• 15th Nov 2013

Large room with kitchen just for us (me and my girlfirend) with shared bathroom very very cleaned, directly on cockburn street that is one of the nicest street of edinburgh. Really romantic

• 12th Nov 2013

Ideal location and good value for money.

Noise. During the night (10 PM to 3AM or more) a lot of NOISE. The location and the staff are excellent, the facilities are very good too. But the horrible noise during the night are is a very bad thing. May be some rules must be apply.

A little bit disapointed at the end of my stay as the staff wasn't very nice. They wanted us to pay in order to let our luggage a couple of hours.

• 5th Nov 2013

The towels were dirty, and the mattress , duvet all smelled, room was not heated properly. Mould in the bath room, no soap provided.

Great hostel, the best location to the royal mile and very quite, would stay again

• 3rd Nov 2013

I booked a private room and it was really lovely. We didn't expect it was gonna be so cosy and complete. It had its own kitchen and bathoroom, so I just can keep nice memories of my stay there. Besides, it is very central.

• 1st Nov 2013
  • Spain

Just beds to small for tall people.. But other than that it is fine.. Right near to the train station and the the royal mile just up the street..

Just the beds for taller people suck.. Where the leg boards are, take the panels out and let the feet free.. I have stayed 6 times over the last 10 years and the staff they have had at each time are great.. Very friendly and helpful.. Great location.. The showers are a bit hit and miss though..

It's a good experience, no complaints. Make sure you keep your dorm key with you at all times, even when you go to the bathroom.

• 30th Oct 2013
  • Colombia

For myself it seems that the experience is somewhat dependent on are you staying in the main building or at the next door. Personally i found the 14 bed dorm on Fleshmarket close to be the best value at this property.

• 29th Oct 2013
  • Finland

Worst stay I have ever had in a hostel. The heating was not working and the unfriendly staff refused to give us a second duvet. The room and especially the bathroom was terribly dirty as if it was not cleaned for weeks. There were so many hair in the shower, that the water could not float. Additionally, the room was very noisy, as the windows are very thin and there were renovations (of the hostel) starting every morning at 8. I would never recommend this hostel to anybody!

• 29th Oct 2013

I booked with 2 others but we were separated in the room as were another group of 3 and of 6. It didn't make sense to not keep people who booked together by each other. Wifi not great in the room.

The single rooms are very good quality, better than dormitory for the cleanless, the space, etc. A real flat for your own!