Edinburgh Backpackers Reviews

65 Cockburn St, EH1 1BU, Edinburgh, Scotland

location is awesome, close to the station and right next to main street. i was in a large dorm room but there were curtains for every 4 beds so there was some privacy which was nice. there were no windows in the dorm i was in, though, because it was in the basement so it got a little stuffy. bed was pretty flat.

Good hostel, great location and helpful,friendly staff, Only problem was that we were in the second building which didn't have very good ventilation, so it smelled of damp slightly. Also the radiator in the room couldn't be turned off so it was very very warm at night. But other than that a good hostel :)

• 19th Aug 2014
  • Scotland

Amazing location and pretty chilled vibe. Only 1 set of Men's toilets and showers which was a bit annoying but not a major deal breaker. Pretty cool place.

very noisy

Does not allow bicycles or otherwise make any room to acomidate guests needs. Strict policies aimed at protecting themselves at guests expense. Don't make reservation in advance as you can' cancel. Good location and well decorated, poor every thing else.

Location and staff were very good. BThe condition of the bathrooms kind of killed what might have been a much better experience. Shower stalls were quite dirty and hot water was almost always unavailable.

I managed to get my boots/jacket stolen (Lockers arent huge) while staying here. I reported it to the desk. For insurance reasons, I requested a memo stating that I reported it. At first they denied I reported it and It took numerous emails to the hostel to admit that I did report it. And after I'd estimate another 15 emails, they haven't written a memo - It would take them maybe 5 minutes of their time... So 0% is a fair reflection of this hostel's unprofessionalism and incompetence.

I would recommend this hostel to any traveller. I stayed in a 8 bed dorm and the room was very clean and the staff was very polite, helpful and informative.

We stayed in room 8. We appreciated the space & facilities although the hot tap in the basin is not connected. However, other guests were extremely noisy. We expected movement at all hours because of the Festival but did not expect people to slam doors, talk loudly and jump up and down the stairs. The 1st night we had an hour or two sleep. Perhaps a notice pointing out to the people upstairs that there is a room right by that entrance door and every sound is magnified and please be quiet!

• 15th Aug 2014

Top location, beds comfortable. But I was informed by staff that they charge money to leave your bags there after you have checked out, plus typical hostel money grabbing exercises such as having to pay for towels. During the festival when all the prices are put up anyway, this could be included. Overall, the kitchen is good and has a good 'no waste policy' but mouldy bread can be found in the cupboard - needs double checking by staff!

I liked it - common room, games room, well-maintained kitchen - what's not to like? :-)

Best part of the hostel: very good location and nice staff. They helped me out to know where to go and to find someone to sell my tickets. They are great!

it's really good,even better live near the station!

• 13th Aug 2014
  • China

Was only spending two nights in Edinburgh and this place was perfect. Really amazing building plus all the important things. Clean, great staff, amazing location and everything you would want. Would stay again in a heartbeat.

Nice place. Super location i the middel of the old city near the royal mile. Would recomend

Great location, lovely staff and a good hostel. Shame there are so many stairs!!

The place is very nice, with a fun winding staircase that leads to each floor. The room was spacious with tall ceilings, although, being centrally located, it can be noisy at night. This was worse because I was staying there during the Fringe Festival. However it should be noted that there is almost always a festival going on in Edinburgh! There were a lot of plug-ins in the room, and spacious lockers available. However I could not get warm water when I went to take a shower...

We were bowled over by the customer service, particularly for somewhere on the cheaper end of the scale. An issue with a broken en-suite shower was not only fixed promptly but the entire unit was replaced and we were given a free breakfast and free bag storage due to the inconvenience. Very impressed. Incredibly friendly staff. We would return and recommend to friends.

• 10th Aug 2014
  • Scotland

Located in the heart of Edinburgh, and 1 block away from Waverley station, not much atmosphere in this hostel. Staff is helpful and kind.

Warm atmosphère , Pity you ve got some insectes in the bed , you'd better clean it ! It´s expensive for what it is .

• 10th Aug 2014