Edinburgh Backpackers Reviews

65 Cockburn St, EH1 1BU, Edinburgh, Scotland

Fantastic location just steps from the Royal Mile! Our room and shared bathroom were spotless and comfortable. I could have stayed for weeks!

The Staff was incredible and location cannot really be any better. A little noisy at night because of the people on the street but it did not bother me at all. The rooms and bathroom were clean as well.

• 23rd Apr 2014

Awful bathroom, but the room itself is ok.

• 23rd Apr 2014

the rooms were quite small and stuffy,the beds were awful, both me and my partner woke up with back pains. The building and bedrooms had loud ratting pipes noises till 3am and again starting at 9am.

• 23rd Apr 2014

The location of the hostel was perfect near every touristic places. Our room was not in the main building and was quiet but it was not really clean and the kitchen always had dirty dishes. Although it was a quiet and nice place to stay for a couple of days. The staff was helpful almost all of them just one girl that couldn't show us where was or room I don't know if she was in a hurry or something but that was the only bad experience with the staff.

• 20th Apr 2014
  • Ecuador

Excellent location and staff, but the washrooms and kitchen were really dirty.. And Cold showers. Other than that, no complaints!

• 19th Apr 2014

The location is perfect: in the beautiful old part of the city, have everything on the door step, very close to the Waverley train station and a delicious next to a delicious café

• Belgium

The location is awesome and the staff is helpful. But nevertheless of all the hostels I stayed at in Edinburgh this by far is the one where I felt most uncomfortable and I wouldn`t recommend it to anyone else. I had a single room and stayed in another building which was was situated in a rather dark cose with homeless people assembling there and being noisy in the mornings. On top of that there as stated in other reviews there indeed was no door to take a shower in privacy.

• 19th Apr 2014

Very good location and staff was very helpful and nice. The rooms are really worth for what you pay and the facilities are cleaned. The kitchen and common areas are really good too. I totally recommend this hostel

• Spain

The hostel is really good. It's organized and in a perfect location (near the point where the Free Tour starts and the main touristic points). The staff is really nice and you don't have to pay anything for the locker in the room. I absolutely would go back there other times.

Stayed in a double room (shared bathroom) over easter. Great location just off the royal mile, very central to old town edinburgh. Private rooms are in a different building, its a bit old and run down but you're not staying in a hotel, but not really a 'hostel' atmosphere. Easter eggs left outside our room which was the nice touch. Only bummer the £3 per bag per day to store luggage, we only had 3 hours to wait for our train but didnt get a discount (used the bus station lockers, cheaper)

Great location and clean beds. Very close to city center, train station and bus to airport. Dirty, old bathroom. Common areas had seen better days. Helpful staff, met some really nice people whom shared my room:)

bathroom not god, small amount bathroom

• 18th Apr 2014

The hostel is in the centre of the city, the people who works there were very nice and the room was fine too. Everything was perfect my weekend was wonderful. I recommend to everybody.

• Spain

In three days, i had two cold baths. I ask the staff and they say that i should wake up ealier. The thing is, i am not paying to wake up early just to have a hot shower.

• Portugal

Although it was just a night stay, I wish for more. Everything was more than what we expected and we had a very peaceful and comfortable night. The breakfast was fantastic and we couldn't ask for more. The only down side I can think of was that the windows are single glazing and the cold penetrated into the room easily. Nevertheless, the wall mounted heater were very warm and the blankets were very comfortable, which did not cause any issue for us.

• 17th Apr 2014
  • Singapore
  • All Male Group, 25-30

The hostel was fine and in a good location but the bed I had was awful. I have slept in a lot of hostels and this bed was by far the worst. I had to request a second blanket to sleep on top of but because the hostel was full, they didn't have any to give me. A very nice staff member gave me her personal sleeping bag to use which was very nice and the next day my bed was made with a second blanket. I was told that they had replaced half the beds and were due to do the rest.

Staff was super helpful and nice. The room was clean and had nice space. The location is the best a hostel can have, right on the royal mile. Only bad things were that my room was just next to a bathroom, and in the morning the showers had FREEZING COLD WATER. I waited for a long time but it did not heat up. You guys should fix that! Other than that and the long stair trip to the 4th floor, I have no complains about this place, great value for money. Rooms open with card keys and have lockers.

Really good staff! And the location was unbelievable great!! Wonderful trip and place. Highly Recomended!!!

As far as hostels go: stayed in a few and had some near to bad experiences. However this one was just okay! Couple of things they could do better. 1. State there is a CASH deposit for the key when bookin. 2. Remove the old towels from the room from previous guests. 3. Bathroom - when in a hostel there should be a lock on the door that's usable. Hidden charges they get you with so watch out for them when checking in. Other than that. Enjoy

• 16th Apr 2014