Edinburgh Backpackers Reviews

65 Cockburn St, EH1 1BU, Edinburgh, Scotland

I stayed at the hostel with a friend and her 10 year old son we had originally booked a twin room for just the two of us but due to a problem her son had to come as well but I emailed the hostel and they were happy to upgrade our room to a triple the only problem was when we arrived we found the room only had a double and single bed we did tell some one who said she would sort it out but my friend was happy to share with her son so not a problem, the small kitchen in the room was a nice surprise

• 30th Jul 2014
  • Scotland

They have a bedbug problem that they can't seem to fix.

Good hostelling experience overall - the staff were friendly and the facilities were clean and quiet. A few things - you're required to leave a deposit for the room key which must be in cash, which they don't tell you in advance. As well, there's an adverstised discount breakfast for the café next door, which we eagerly took advantage of, only to find that the breakfast you're paying for is actually less than the regular breakfast (you're paying less, but you're also getting less food!).

• 29th Jul 2014

Very close to main station and old town. Good to sight-seeing location. Just one funny thing... why there are no stairs on the bed?! How can we climb up and down!? Female 8 beds dorm is not bad. Kitchen is poor. Common space is narrow.

nice Staff! Lovely Location. Thank you very much Kashina

• 28th Jul 2014

TERRIBLE! AWFUL! i think that this hostel should be closed. they should feel ashamed of making people pay for staying in such an awful and discuting place. my room was not only horrible and dirty but i had a super dirty curtain and chair i was scared to touch them. my mattress everyday smelled so repugnantly. full of mold and i would be surprised to find a mouse or a roach in there. i've payed 40€ for that room and i think it was the worst experience in my life.

I didn't use all the facilities...literally just used a private twin room. I have stayed in hostels all over Europe. Great location hence the price, but noisy if your in the second building right next to a busy loud alley way. Room was tiny and I think the room had bed bugs as after two nights I am covered in small bites that are irritating me two days later...literally covered in them. Not sure if the bedding sheets. If you want sleep and cleanliness...book a hotel!

• 28th Jul 2014

Excellent location, off the Royal Mile . Really easy to find from airport bus or waverly bridge train station. Beds were new and really comfy. Kitchen and common areas were well set up and it was easy to meet other travelers. Showers and toilets were a bit grubby but not too bad. Wifi was a bit unreliable but worked well whwhen connected. Would stay again.

Very Central 5 mins from middle of the MIle & 10 mins up hill walk from the airport bus stops & train station. Kitchen had all utensils & facilities you would require. Love place to visit very friendly welcoming people. Staff full of useful info, if they did know they knew someone who would. Baked potato shop over the road - veggie haggis, lovely meal. Negative not enough plug sockets & internet not the strongest.

• 26th Jul 2014
  • All Female Group, 41+

+ great!! location + very friendly staff - no lift - not enought electrical plugs - small common area

There is less satffs in this hostel, so if some accidents happened, they cannot solve it immediately. but staffs's atittude is good.

• 25th Jul 2014
  • China

It was to bad that the room was seperated with curtains. The matress we slept on wasn't great and the bathrooms we not really clean

Absolutely fabulous place to stay! Very central location! Perfect for what I needed. Very friendly and helpful staff. Nothing compares to home, but a phenomenal three nights stay for me!

• 24th Jul 2014

Great location, a short walk from Waverley and right in the heart of the city. The rooms are spacious, but two power points for a 14 bed room is unacceptable. The staff were very unorganised and rude on check in. I would probably try another hostel in Edinburgh before coming back here.

If you're travelling alone or going to the fringe this is the place to be. It's central, good facilities, and the staff are amazing!! They're super friendly and down to be friends with the guests so don't feel wierd asking them for help, etc. My favorite hostel in Edinburgh, it was a very "cultural" experience.

The location of the hostel is great, near to everything you need. The staff however weren't great. As hostels go I've met some really cool and fun young people but these guys were just rude. When passing the the halls they never spoke or said hello. They never asked how we found things, or where was nice to eat or good to go out. Also if we were late to check out it was 10 pound per person per hour which is ridiculous if you ask me. And having no proper kitchen for the private dorms isn't sound

• 22nd Jul 2014

Nice spot in a good location. The discounted breakfast next door was very nice as well.

Since I was travelling without a car, the location near the Royal Mile was perfect. Also, the staff was welcoming.

• 20th Jul 2014

Great help my deskman.

• 20th Jul 2014
  • Mexico

I thought the room was very tiny for a 5-dorm. There was no room to comfortably walk in the room as the floor was occupied by our bags/luggages! The shower stall is old and toilets weren't flushing well and there was only one hook to hang your clothes and towels on and it was outside the stall! So it was visible for people to see!but it's central to everything so that was nice! And staff were very friendly!

• 19th Jul 2014