Edinburgh Backpackers Reviews

65 Cockburn St, EH1 1BU, Edinburgh, Scotland

The place is very nice, with a fun winding staircase that leads to each floor. The room was spacious with tall ceilings, although, being centrally located, it can be noisy at night. This was worse because I was staying there during the Fringe Festival. However it should be noted that there is almost always a festival going on in Edinburgh! There were a lot of plug-ins in the room, and spacious lockers available. However I could not get warm water when I went to take a shower...

We were bowled over by the customer service, particularly for somewhere on the cheaper end of the scale. An issue with a broken en-suite shower was not only fixed promptly but the entire unit was replaced and we were given a free breakfast and free bag storage due to the inconvenience. Very impressed. Incredibly friendly staff. We would return and recommend to friends.

• Scotland

Located in the heart of Edinburgh, and 1 block away from Waverley station, not much atmosphere in this hostel. Staff is helpful and kind.

Warm atmosphère , Pity you ve got some insectes in the bed , you'd better clean it ! It´s expensive for what it is .

• 10th Aug 2014

We were given a room just off Fleshmarket Close. There was no window to see out of and the bathroom was dirty-particularly the shower. The noise was REALLY AWFUL. This was probably the worst part of the stay. People BANGING all doors and floors constantly from around 7am onwards. It was like an earthquake everytime the stairs were used. VERY NOISY. Sleep was limited. The room was very stuffy with no ventilation. Not a pleasant stay compared to other hostels in which I've stayed in Edinburgh.

• Scotland

For £25 per night I would expect a 6 bed dorm, ventilation in the room and a free luggage minding service. To charge hostellers to keep their luggage for a couple of hours is outrageous. I would always prefer Scottish Youth Hostels. I would also prefer a female only dorm.

• 8th Aug 2014

Unfortunately during the festival the prices are higher in Edinburgh. If you book a 14 bed dorm you will get a 14 bed dorm. We have both 6 bed dorms and all female dorms as advertised on hostelworld which you could have booked if that is what you wanted. Or if you had have asked at reception when you arrived we would have tried to accomadate you.

Good value for my money, lovely staff, amazing location. I would stay here again without a doubt!

• 8th Aug 2014

Can be quite noisy at night (from street & also other guests) also quite hot in room even tho it was cold out I stayed during the fringe festival so it was jam packed. The bathrooms were dirty throughout my stay. I was on a top bunk in middle of room (so not against wall) & neither side had rails so felt quite unsafe. There was also no proper ladder to any of the top bunks so was awkward to get up & down, particularly at night. I asked to be moved but was not helped. Would not stay here again

Awesome hostel. Lovely and clean. Best location and really helpful staff!

• 8th Aug 2014

I went there during the Fringe festival. This hostel is in a perfect location for the festival! it is right in the centre and everything was within walking distance. All the main attractions were nearby and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was not very clean, although staff did attempt to clean it daily. the floors still needed vacuuming. everything else was great though!

Excellent location as it was Between the royal mille and Waverley. Staff were great to talk to and helpful when it was needed. To be honest I didn't experience the hostel enough as I had so much planned and was out constantly leaving first thing in te morning and getting back gone 1am. But if anyone is looking for a place to stay in Edinburgh I recommend this hostel.

Friendly front desk staff

Loved it but the only issue was careying the luggage up 5 floors...a lift wud hav been handy but never mind :-)

• 7th Aug 2014
  • India

I enjoyed the breakfast deal. £5 for breakfast was brilliant value and made me wanna come back to this hostil next year for the fringe :)

• 6th Aug 2014

would recommend to anyone, especially firstly time visitors to Edinburgh and large groups as the location is at the heart of the historical Royal mile. it is less than a 5 minute walk from the train station or 10 minutes from the tram/bus. clean with friendly staff (the receptionist who greeted us was amazing). like all of edinburgh accommodation it can be pricey during popular festivals (fringe etc) but a real bargain during quieter months.

• 6th Aug 2014

We only had one night in Edinburgh so we were very happy with the location! The fringe festival just so happened to be right outside our door which was amazing. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Room was fantastic, loads of room. Could quiet happily stay there for a long period of time and feel comfortable. The whole vibe was great very funky backpackers. The only down fall was the stairs, we wanted a private room which was the penthouse so was a bit of a hike up the stairs but all worth it!

• 6th Aug 2014

Wouldn't grumble for the price. Location is very good. However only 2 sockets in an 8 bed dorm, meant I had to leave my phone in reception to charge each day. I had to move into another room on my 3rd night where the bunks had no ladders.

• 5th Aug 2014
  • Wales

I just stayed one night. The location is perfect!

A nice hostel in a good location. Stayed in a 14 bed mixed dorm which was good, although the beds were too close together so people's feet could be touching others heads and you had to pay extra to use the lockers in the rooms. Also had to pay to have them store luggage, even just for a couple of hours. Showers were very tiny with no doors (only small curtains), and at times only had cold water. Nice kitchen and common room area with TV.

Bathrooms need upgrading.