Edinburgh Backpackers Reviews

65 Cockburn St, EH1 1BU, Edinburgh, Scotland

Great location. Rooms were a little small. We were located above a pub and were kept up due to the band/karaoke on the weekend. Staff were nice and friendly.

I was thankful to find a spot at such short notice after a delayed flight had me miss my last train out of Edinburgh. I paid£25 for a bed in a 14-bed dorm. The layout of the dorm was actually very nice, with clever and neat partitions between bunks. However, there was a leaky burst pipe along the old corridor to the room and the staff member unfortunately rather than making me feel relaxed about it, made me very conscious of the unpleasant surroundings. Great location, a little expensive.

Very noisy from the pub next door. A big hostel, so alot of people in and out at all hours. No lift, many stairs, difficult if you have big bags. No breakfasts offered, have to go next door to cafe.

We took a twin private room which was located in the back alley, and was really dark at night. We didnt feel particularly safe walking down the alley to get back to our room. Also the rooms had open windows and strangers were getting rowdy in the alley until 3-4am, making it difficult to sleep at all. There was a leaking pipe with sewage water enroute to the bathroom which was emitting a foul smell, and one of the girl's bathroom was out of order and couldnt be used.

We had a pretty good 4 night stay at Edinburgh Backpackers. We stayed in a double private room in one of the sub buildings. The room and bathroom were pretty good. The bed was reasonably comfortable and the shower had hot water. The only complaint we had was that it got very loud at night with people walking down the alley to the train station. Our first night (a Friday) we had a bit of trouble sleeping even with ear plugs but it wasn't too bad the other 3 nights. The wifi worked very well.

Very helpful staff, located right next to the royal mile. It was a good stay.

• 30th May 2014

this hostel is one of best hostel I've ever been!!!

A good standard, cheap and central - I enjoyed my stay. The staff were friendly and helpful. The only thing to be aware of is the single room I booked is on the top floor and a steep climb - not easy with luggage although great exercise! Two suggestions from me for the hotel: (1) Have bed side lamps (2) In the showers, I didn't like having to risk leaving my stuff outside so it didn't get wet in the cubicle. Some kind of plastic box or shelf out of the shower hose range would be good. Thanks.

• 29th May 2014

The room we stayed in (private twin ensuite) was great, located besides the actual hostel in a quiet alley. The room was large and decent, but we didnt anticipate how noisy the room would be. You dont hear noise from the streets, but there's a machine that seems to randomly generate noise for a few minutes a few times each night, and the ceiling was made of wood so we could very clearly hear everybody move in and out of there in the morning. besides that: great place to stay

• 29th May 2014

The fact that u need to pay £3 for luggage storage it was way too expensive as it is per bag!! It is not even refundable. All other hostels i travelled in the world and in Edinburgh itself were free or at least a refundable deposit. The private rooms were not in the main building but it was not so far and it was rather quiet. There is a cafe next to it were u can have discount with any order as long as you are a guest in the hostel, it was a good deal. I stayed only 1 night and it was ok.

The hostel had problems with the card machine and I had to enter my PIN code many times. In the end it did not work and I had to pay in cash and was left with uncertainty if the money was or was not withdrawn from my account. At the moment, a week later, it seems that it was all fine, but still an unpleasant situation.

• 28th May 2014
  • Estonia

Very loud plumbing in the building, woke us up a few times in the night. Apart from that a great stay.

• 26th May 2014
  • New Zealand

Great staff. Stayed in the annexe. Room was poky and not well ventilated. Mens bathroom was a bit grubby. Location is excellent and overall experience is decent.

Rooms a little bit too expensive even if hostel could not be better kocated!

• 23rd May 2014

The private rooms are in an adjacent building, not the actual main hostel, which meant that the kitchen and other amenities weren't as convenient as expected. However, the wifi worked well in the private room and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The location is perfect and right in the heart of things.

• 21st May 2014

This was a lovely hostel although you should have said on the hostel bookers site in big letters that you need a passport also the stairs are a nightmare but all of Edinburgh is stairs so that does not matter.

• 21st May 2014

I was in the second building, another building, not the principal. dark rooms, old building, fatiscent door, a little windows in my room, no colours, no common room. I can't speack about the principal building but if unfotunately they will put you in the second building, you will fell like in a reformatory . after two days I change hostel and I go in another near the catsle (super!) In the backpacker hostel, at reception very cold and not smart

Right In the heart of the city just off the royal mile, it's a perfect place for a night or two. I am not the fairest critic as I arrived at 9pm and left at 7am the next morning but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Helps that I knew one of the staff from my hometown.

very nice and helpful staff not only at the hostel reception but also at the southern cross cafe (very recommended!). would stay there again anytime!

• 20th May 2014

Great place, in a great area! Staff and super friendly