Edinburgh Backpackers Reviews

65 Cockburn St, EH1 1BU, Edinburgh, Scotland

Great place to stay and reasonably priced

• 13th Jun 2014
  • New Zealand

The double room with shared facilities and over looking a treed courtyard was excellent and restfull at the end of our 8 week long o/s trip.

Everything is £5 extra. Rooms are fine but not the cleanest. Hair dryer we rented was a waste if time. We were on the top floor. 6 gents right next to the ladies showers. Not ideal really. One plug socket in the room worked. Zero room to hang anything. £15 per man or night not too bad but not the best value I've ever seen. Probably wouldn't stay at this one in the future.

• 13th Jun 2014
  • All Male Group, 25-30

You guys were jest great..keep da good job up!!!!!!

• 6th Jun 2014
  • Czech Republic

This was my first Hostel stay ever. However, the staff was awesome, the place was clean, and the beds were fairly comfortable. All in all, I think I'm going to start staying in hostels from now on due to this very positive experience.

Friendly staff, tidy dorms and a great atmosphere, right at the heart of Old Town Edinburgh. Always someone to chat to in the common areas.

• 3rd Jun 2014
  • Finland

Great place had everything we needed. Full kitchen full bathrooms and bedrooms all had key card access. Location was excellent and our host Jade was great! Very friendly and helpful staff. I only had one issue that the hot water was limited so take your showers before peak times.

• 1st Jun 2014

I arrived in Edinburgh without a place to stay, and so I booked this hostel for the next day, then walked there and asked if I could book for that day. They were more than accommodating! Great location to a lot of great things to see and do. Also, right across the street is a great Haggis and Whisky shop, if anyone wants to have the full Scottish experience.

• 1st Jun 2014

Unfortunately no elevator in the buildings

Great location. Rooms were a little small. We were located above a pub and were kept up due to the band/karaoke on the weekend. Staff were nice and friendly.

I was thankful to find a spot at such short notice after a delayed flight had me miss my last train out of Edinburgh. I paid£25 for a bed in a 14-bed dorm. The layout of the dorm was actually very nice, with clever and neat partitions between bunks. However, there was a leaky burst pipe along the old corridor to the room and the staff member unfortunately rather than making me feel relaxed about it, made me very conscious of the unpleasant surroundings. Great location, a little expensive.

Very noisy from the pub next door. A big hostel, so alot of people in and out at all hours. No lift, many stairs, difficult if you have big bags. No breakfasts offered, have to go next door to cafe.

We took a twin private room which was located in the back alley, and was really dark at night. We didnt feel particularly safe walking down the alley to get back to our room. Also the rooms had open windows and strangers were getting rowdy in the alley until 3-4am, making it difficult to sleep at all. There was a leaking pipe with sewage water enroute to the bathroom which was emitting a foul smell, and one of the girl's bathroom was out of order and couldnt be used.

We had a pretty good 4 night stay at Edinburgh Backpackers. We stayed in a double private room in one of the sub buildings. The room and bathroom were pretty good. The bed was reasonably comfortable and the shower had hot water. The only complaint we had was that it got very loud at night with people walking down the alley to the train station. Our first night (a Friday) we had a bit of trouble sleeping even with ear plugs but it wasn't too bad the other 3 nights. The wifi worked very well.

Very helpful staff, located right next to the royal mile. It was a good stay.

• 30th May 2014

this hostel is one of best hostel I've ever been!!!

A good standard, cheap and central - I enjoyed my stay. The staff were friendly and helpful. The only thing to be aware of is the single room I booked is on the top floor and a steep climb - not easy with luggage although great exercise! Two suggestions from me for the hotel: (1) Have bed side lamps (2) In the showers, I didn't like having to risk leaving my stuff outside so it didn't get wet in the cubicle. Some kind of plastic box or shelf out of the shower hose range would be good. Thanks.

• 29th May 2014

The room we stayed in (private twin ensuite) was great, located besides the actual hostel in a quiet alley. The room was large and decent, but we didnt anticipate how noisy the room would be. You dont hear noise from the streets, but there's a machine that seems to randomly generate noise for a few minutes a few times each night, and the ceiling was made of wood so we could very clearly hear everybody move in and out of there in the morning. besides that: great place to stay

• 29th May 2014

The fact that u need to pay £3 for luggage storage it was way too expensive as it is per bag!! It is not even refundable. All other hostels i travelled in the world and in Edinburgh itself were free or at least a refundable deposit. The private rooms were not in the main building but it was not so far and it was rather quiet. There is a cafe next to it were u can have discount with any order as long as you are a guest in the hostel, it was a good deal. I stayed only 1 night and it was ok.

The hostel had problems with the card machine and I had to enter my PIN code many times. In the end it did not work and I had to pay in cash and was left with uncertainty if the money was or was not withdrawn from my account. At the moment, a week later, it seems that it was all fine, but still an unpleasant situation.

• 28th May 2014