Edinburgh Backpackers Reviews

65 Cockburn St, EH1 1BU, Edinburgh, Scotland

Booked a private room-even had a smalk kitchen. Great value for money.

The location is really an advantage but I booked a room for 2 persons and we almost didn't sleep the first night because of people shouting, singing, even fighting just nex door ! They took the hostel for a pub or a disco and had no respect for other people. We slept 3 hours the first night, so for approximatly 25 pounds the room, it is really disappointing.!!

• 2nd May 2014

The location is everything with this particular hostel,.If you are looking for a cheap place to crash at night - then this is it. We did not stay in main building, but had a room in the building in the close/alleyway next to it. When we arrived, the alleyway was very dark and homeless people were sitting across from the main entrance. This definitely wasn't a very good first impression. The room wasn't very clean - mould in the shower, bad smell and dust on the floors.

The staff is excellent: very nice young people. The only two bad things: no lift (when you have to carry a heavy luggage you miss it) and my brother said that the male toilet was quite dirty (not the female which actually was quite clean). If I go to Edinburgh again, it´s probably I will come back to this hostel.

• 30th Apr 2014
  • Spain

In my opinion is nothing comfortable and cleaning.

We were in the building next door, the room was alright and we had everything we needed. Staff was really friendly and helpful, offered help and advise which was really useful. Location was great, just a few minutes walk to all main sights, bus stations, bars, restaurants, etc. The café next door was great, nice menu for breakfast and fair prices.

Very nice place located in an area where you had almost everything you needed. I am satisfied with this hostel and will recommend it to friends and family :)

• 28th Apr 2014
  • Sweden

We stayed twice, in two different private rooms. The first one was very nice, with views over the roofs of Edinburgh, clean and large. Be careful with the hot water cause we didn't manage to know how it worked and we left too early in the morning to go asking at the reception. The second room was less nice, small and with a view to an air conditioning of the building just in front, but with bathroom included, the kitchen however was in another building.

I keep changing Hostels but they are not bad

• 27th Apr 2014
  • Austria

Really enjoyed my stay at this hostel. Staff were very friendly, location was brilliant, great atmosphere and good facilities.

• 27th Apr 2014

When booking I booked a twin room en-suite. The shower was not working. So in my opinion you can't rent this room out as en-suite when it is not. The evening staff came and looked at it and when he was not able to fix it he said there was showers upstairs. Either way this is not what I booked and paid for. Girl in the morning was really helpful in helping us find something else and refunded us the two remaining nigths, but did not refund us for the room not being en-suite.

• 26th Apr 2014
  • mariaastrom
  • Sweden

The hotel stuff at the reception desk is not the suitable people for this job, they are not very friendly, they have communication problem, The night shift person told me I could check out one hour after normal time, the next day the day shift people charge me and extra money, they were no friendly, no helpful and thy refused my request to phone her workmate to prove the information I gave them. People at reception desk are very mean, this is a shame because generally the hostel is nice.

• 25th Apr 2014
  • Spain

The staff were friendly but the the walls were so thin that the noise from outside penetrated which made sleeping very difficult.

Fantastic location just steps from the Royal Mile! Our room and shared bathroom were spotless and comfortable. I could have stayed for weeks!

The Staff was incredible and location cannot really be any better. A little noisy at night because of the people on the street but it did not bother me at all. The rooms and bathroom were clean as well.

• 23rd Apr 2014

Awful bathroom, but the room itself is ok.

• 23rd Apr 2014

the rooms were quite small and stuffy,the beds were awful, both me and my partner woke up with back pains. The building and bedrooms had loud ratting pipes noises till 3am and again starting at 9am.

• 23rd Apr 2014

The location of the hostel was perfect near every touristic places. Our room was not in the main building and was quiet but it was not really clean and the kitchen always had dirty dishes. Although it was a quiet and nice place to stay for a couple of days. The staff was helpful almost all of them just one girl that couldn't show us where was or room I don't know if she was in a hurry or something but that was the only bad experience with the staff.

Excellent location and staff, but the washrooms and kitchen were really dirty.. And Cold showers. Other than that, no complaints!

• 19th Apr 2014

The location is perfect: in the beautiful old part of the city, have everything on the door step, very close to the Waverley train station and a delicious next to a delicious café

• 19th Apr 2014