El Balsamo Reviews

El Sunzal, Km 44, Calle a la playa, Tamanique, El Sunzal, El Salvador

When I arrived my dorm bunk was no longer available so I was upgraded to a bedroom suite with two beds, bunk beds and private bath (no bad for the same $7 price of a dorm bunk). The location is walking distance to El Sunzal and El Tunco surf beaches. There are local stores selling affordable fruit and Pupusas nearby. There's a community kitchen and common space for hanging out. Good value and amenities.

Gijs and Veronica are great hosts, there is a really nice atmosphere here. About 200 meters from the beach, the hostel is in a great location. It's nice to be in Sunzal, so a bit quieter than Tunco, and much closer to the main surf break, and Tunco is just a 3-4 minute walk down the beach if you want to party. The bathroom setup is not perfect, but a new kitchen and bathroom are being built, should be ready in the coming days. Overall: Clean rooms, great location, great value, nice hosts.

I stayed in a basic budget single room for over two weeks and found it to be fantastic value for money with 1st class hosts and very good facilities for the money I paid. The room was basic but very comfortable for both myself and my bank balance and it was only minutes from the surf in one direction and transport in the other. I am returning again shortly and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone travelling on a budget who needs the services of very friendly knowledgeable and helpful hosts

• 13th Feb 2014