El Capitan Hotel Reviews

2361 Mission Street, San Francisco, California, USA

Security does not work because I have been robbed of things and the staff was not able to give me explanations. The location is beautiful only in the daytime, at night it is dangerous to go out. The atmosphere is that of a place of passage, there is no acceptance. The bathrooms are shared, you also know before you book, but other hotel or hostel in San Francisco cleaning was better. With the same money there are other structures.

While the common areas make it look like a dive, the room was super cute , comfy, and clean, and the common bathroom was old but clean. And for the price and location it was incredible.

• 31st Aug 2013

Staff was very friendly and helpful. Very attentive to who was coming and going. I'd stay there again!

• 9th Aug 2013

It's worth the money , it would be nice if they replace the carpets of the halls.

This place was very dirty and not welcoming at all. I would not recommend this hostel to anyone planning on visiting SF. The mission and castro districts were very cool though. You can find a much nicer hostel in this part of the city for a comparable, if not better, price.

Its (one of) the cheapest hostels in San Francisco but both the location and the rooms are excellent! We had a double and it was pretty big and had a fridge and a microwave inside.

I went to this hotel which is falling into pieces. First, they charged me the whole amount and when I complain they told me to get in touch with Hostelworld, to make them call and they will gave me the money back. I contacted customer service and they took almost a complete MONTH just to let me know that the issue had past and there was nothing they can do... for thier inefficiency I lost $72. I stayed there a month. The place is a nightmare... bed bugs and everything

• 1st Mar 2013
  • Costa Rica

Very pleased with the stay. The room was modern and clean. Fast WI-FI. All good. Would recommend to anyone.

• 7th Dec 2012
  • Poland

I was stayed in El Capitán last september 2 in the room 16 the ground floor, and I think, that I forgot 2 memory stick within a drawer in the room. Could you tell me if you have the memories stick?. Thank you.

• 2nd Sep 2012
  • Spain

i cancelled my reservation so i can not tell anything about the hotel - but that i was facing very poor customer service. when i called the employee could not find my reservation though i spelled my name 3 times and gave him the reservation number. Acutally his english was very bad. Then i told him that i am sending him an email so it might be easier for him to understand what my call is about. I send my cancellation email (before the 24 h cancellation deadline) three times... but no more reply

• 18th Aug 2012
  • Austria

No bath in room, no fridge, no microwave, no TV, no free-parking for guests - so much terrible things

• 16th Aug 2012
  • Czech Republic

I was nervous about staying at the El Capitan, but it ended up being a great experience! So cheap, and in a great location. Would definitely consider staying there again.

• 9th Aug 2012

First of all, we haven't found the main entrance at our arrival because it isn't assigned at all (no signs). The hostel's staff is pretty impolite (man wearing a cap resp. a vaste behaved quite impolite and denying towards us). Furthermore, the hygenic standards are shabby (bathtubes). Referring to our room, it hasn't been cleaned up at all. It seemed that our sheets haven't been washed. Besides our TV was brocken and there was always an unpleasant smell in the air likely coming from the covers.

• 21st Jul 2012
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Suspect at best. They claimed they ''updated'' all their rooms; albeit the one they rented to me was the proverbial and literal ''hole in the wall'''; or I should say to be more exact/precise ''HOLES IN THE WALL''. They have a decidedly convoluted fee structure; that is what room you eventually get stuck with hinges/contingent on what website you booked with. A little obfuscating/confounding and not wanting to have to wrestle/tangle with the aforementioned situation if you're a weary traveler

• 4th Jul 2012

This hotel might have been a good place to stay, 30 years ago. Now the structure is old and dirty, the front desk people are not really willingly to help, although they are not the worst. the position could be better because the neighbourhood is quite scatchy but is well connected with the bus system. I wouldn't dare to get out after dark.. the sheets were dirty, the case pillow was dirty too. the bathrooms are so old and filthy that i didn't want to take a shower. not worth it...

I walked into the hostel and felt very unsafe. The stair carpet was worn and it smelled funny. I spoke to the guy at reception who hardly spoke english. He gave me the wifi password but I couldn't get it to work. I heard wailing from one of the rooms. I asked to see my room before I payed and when I got in to the room I called another hostel. The room was horrid. There was a hole in the wall which had a crisp packet in it. No credit card machine or luggage storage.

If you don't mind playing, "What's that stain?" on...well most surfaces and linens then this place is great. The non-smoking rooms smell fine, the showers and toilets work great, and everything locks up well and there's a double gate on the front end. Plus there's the small factor of being situated in the heart of the Mission district. Or maybe it's the colon? Who knows. Either way, the location is amazing. $40 a night for a double bed? More than worth it. Just don't question the stains.

• 2nd May 2012

I've stayed at El Capitan 3 or 4 times over the past several years and was looking forward to it for the price, location, and adequate private room -- sink in the room, bathrooms across the hall, fresh paint, and old but fairly clean. But I was so disappointed this time -- bed bugs! I didn't know what it was the first night, and stayed the second night again. I really hope they take care of the problem, but now I see from other peoples' comments it's been going on for months at least.

It's totally ok for the price. The staff is nice and you should have a good night.

• 8th Apr 2012

You get what you pay for at this hostel. The location is perfect, Mission street and its neighbor street Valencia is the definitively a place I want to live in the next time I'm in San Fran. -but maybe not in El Capitan, because I got bedbugs there:-/ The staff is nice in their way, the indian guy working the nightshift was really service minded, and made our stay a lot better!

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7