El Faro Beach Hostel Reviews

Carretera hacia el Parque, Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica

This hostel is in a great location just outside the entrance to the Manuel Antonio National Park. It is also only a few minutes away from a free local beach and some nice restaurants. The hostel was good value for money and the staff very helpful. The wifi connection was poor so I kept losing connectivity but that was the only real negative. Overall it was a good stay.

I really thought the hostel would be more clean and organized but in general, this is a mess. The kitchen is not clean at all, my friends and I needed to ask to clean because it was dirty.. The bathrooms too, i think it would be cleaned more than just once and the atmosphere could be different for the clients..

• 16th Jan 2016

Brick used to hold fridge door shut, never any TP in the bathrooms. Great location. Friendly staff. Not the flashiest place but a great place to meet lots of new people. Great spot for quiet nights. You have to go up the hill ( don't walk it) if you want to find a party at night.

• 5th Jan 2016

Faro uses its location as an excuse to not worry about any other aspect. I've never felt more like livestock in a barn than at faro. They offer you nothing but mess and a dirty pool. Stay elsewhere and walk a little further to the park.

The location was the only good thing about this hostel. The shared bedrooms had no fans and it felt like an oven inside, we had a hard time trying to sleep there. Also when we arrived my bed didn't even have a mattress. I had to arrange my bed by taking another bed's mattress. The kitchen was beyond messy, the fridge was so disgusting it smelled like something died in there. The pool wasn't working so it was only a swamp of disgusting and smelly water.

Barely made it through 2 nights, even though I had booked for 11 nights. Mattress so thin I couldn't sleep, the kitchen almost made me puke, closet full of ants, very dirty pool and there was never toilet papaw in the toilets. I actually told the receptionist(who could barely speak English) to check out the reviews. A lot of ppl left after only one night, so they should get the hint, but I wouldn't hold my breath for that... Wished I only stayed one night, and no refunds for 9 days...

The location can't be beat in manuel Antonio. Te place is kinda grimy, especially the kitchen and the mattresses are paper thin. Helpful staff and te pool is cool. Wifi is frustrating, temper your expectations. Good for a night or two, wouldn't get comfortable here.

I stayed here for new years and it was pretty packed when I stayed but had a cool atmosphere. Each room had a key and the lockers are massive; it's about 5 minutes to the beach and right around the corner from the national park. The beds are basically just two long thick cushions just to forewarn you, not great to sit on for long periods, but I didn't have any bad nights sleep over it. If you want to book a tour I'd suggest heading into town and doing it there.

I am unhappy that El Faro does not make clear separation and distinction between their hotel and hostel. The signs are in places that are not clear and not by the driveway. Because of this poor landscapping, I missed a shuttle van that was supposed to pick me up as the driver confused the hostel with the hotel. The owner of El Faro has 3 buildings, he needs to mark them better and clearly so that such confusion does not happen.

• 14th Dec 2015

I stayed at El Faro on a quick getaway with a friend and my mom (who was visiting). We wanted to stay close to the beach and to Manuel Antonio National Park so that we could easily walk. The location of the hostel is perfect. The pool was nice & clean, and the dorms were decent. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

• 7th Nov 2015