El Genoves Hostal Reviews

Calle Cochera de Hobo 38-27, Cartagena, Colombia

The staff where very helpful they told us places to go and set up are bus afterwards the place is nice with a clean pool with a bit much chlorine. I old highly recommend this place

• 26th Aug 2015
  • Israel

Loved this place! Pretty sure it is located on the most beautiful street in Cartagena! Friendly staff and clean facilities. Definitely a more relaxing atmosphere than other hostels in the city. Try the Argentinian restaurant around the corner.. It was amazing!

Outstanding location in a lovely restored historic building. The staff is capable and very helpful. The hostel is in a beautiful setting and all the sights are just steps away. Restaurants are in abundance, as is, for the shoestring travelers a great supermarket, where simple and hearty meals are served. There's an ATM, too. The only downside is that the plumbing in my ensuite room was getting very long in tooth. They also arranged for door to door transport to hostels in Santa Marta.

The hostel is in a beautiful building and has a nice pool. Didn't get the chance to swim in there, as it was packed with screaming, drunk 20-year-olds when I arrived. The nightguard didn't say anything. I left the hostel the next day.

Fantastic location and atmosphere! Fairly close to all historical/cultural spots. Good staff as well (specially Andres which is the funniest Colombian I have met on my trip)

I stayed here on two different occasions during my two week trip in Colombia, and I found it to be great. The staff is very friendly and welcoming, and answered all my questions. It's not a party hostel, which is a wonderful draw to the property, and it's nicely decorated. I never used the kitchen, but from what I saw it seemed well-supplied. The men's bathroom has two enclosed showers and two enclosed toilets, so there's some privacy. The wi-fi could be better, though.

• 2nd Aug 2015
  • contr1038119

IT WAS A GREAT LOCATION!

Can't say enough about the staff here- when I was having trouble booking a flight, the wonderful, wonderful guy working the desk spent probably about 45 minutes on the phone helping me book, which was so, so helpful and wonderful. Overall it's an actually nice hostel, which is a word I rarely use to describe hostels. Centrally located in the Old City. I'd definitely stay here again!

Relaxed, quiet hostel in the ciudad vieja, the pool is really handy to cool down in the middle of the day, and the front desk is helpful with many things including tour information and restaurant suggestions. The rooms have air-conditioning and the dorms aren't too cramped. The common areas are open and comfortable and nice to hang out in. Nice hostel overall.

• 20th Jul 2015

I spent 12 nights here. As so many reviews have already mentioned, Andres is the late-night king of this place. He loves helping people. The other staff, Ligia and Mierles (sp?) in particular, are nice/friendly but not fluent in English like Andres. The maintenance guy sometimes works nights in place of Andres, and resents all gringo guests, except some girls. The dipping pool in the courtyard is totally clutch, the rooftop still moderately clutch. Not a party hostel, which was great for me.

nice hostel, it is small, but that makes a nice atmosphere! I would stay there again.

Andres was amazing. He IS the hostel. Extremely helpful and goes the extra mile. Location is very central. Small chill hostel with friendly people but not a party hostel. Great beds and showers, although only 2 bathrooms for women. Breakfast is just bread and cereal. They have a pool which is key for Cartagena climate.

Great clean hostel in a great location. The pool is small but oh so perfect to get away from the Cartagena heat. The 12 bed dorm is spacious and having AC is a plus. Only thing I didn't like was the breakfast. Was too simple compared to other free breakfast you get in other hostels. Other than that loved everything about this hostel.

Amazing location right in the heart of the old town in Cartagena. In terms of value for money it's excellent; breakfast, a nice (clean) pool and air conditioning. Whilst it has a lovely atmosphere as it's rather small and without a bar it's not particularly social but this isn't really a fault as it doesn't make any claims to be a party hostel. It's perfect for chilling and enjoying the best of cartagena.

I booked this for the pool and AC in the dorms. The pool is mainly just a dipping pool - not really any space to tan around it or really swim. The dorms are nice and AC is much needed in Cartagena. The breakfast is quite scare and just coffee, cereal and bread. Location is in a quieter more upscale part of town but it's easy to walk wherever you need to go.

"Checked in" to this hostel and immediately checked back out. I'm all for sharing rooms with up to 12 people, I've done it many times before. But this wasn't sharing a room, it was as if you were sharing beds. The room was so small, drunk so badly, one bathroom only. Couldn't deal. Found a beautiful hotel down the street for only $20 more a night.

Andres was fabulous!!! So helpful, we felt very taken care of. Only complaint was that we paid for a private bathroom and there was no running water in it so we had to use the communal showers. Otherwise great atmosphere- fun but not too loud at night.

The hostel is in a good location, really nice people at the desk and a great rooftop. The dorm rooms are a little cramped, they've definitely fit as many bunks as possible in there. If you need reliable WIFI, don't go here as it was not working properly. They also made a mistake with my booking on the second night, and only reserved one bed when it should have been two. But the staff are really lovely and do go out of their way to help - thank you to the guy for letting me use the landline!

the staff stood out the most, they did their best to be friendly and accommodating, even after. I checked out I would still visit and be treated amazingly. Genovese also has the best pool, even better than some of the hotels around. it's just the right size for a small hostel like this. if you are looking to make a ton of friends and drink all night you might want to go somewhere else, I did meet a handful of great, thought-provoking people here during my stay

Great place to stay if you are visiting Cartegena! The staff are very helpful in giving directions, arranging tours, etc. The rooms can be a bit crowded and stuffy, but AC at night makes it all good. Would definitely stay here again!

« first « Prev 1 2 3