El Hostal Reviews

1ra. Avenida Sur No. 8, Antigua, Guatemala

One of the best hostels I stayed in so far. Really nice atmosphere with great staff, big yummy breakfast included,hot showers and happy hour from 4 to 8. I had a great time there.

Good, clean hostel. Nice rooms and helpful staff. Little bit of a walk to town but town is small so no bother.

When I arrived, I was coming off of a 16 hour bus ride, and the night attendant told me they had lost my reservation. Not exactly what you want to hear at that moment. However, I looked at the sheet and my name was right there. While that was incredibly disheartening and a little rude, the rest of the staff made up for it. Not only did they help me arrange a bus to Flores for the next day, they also let me store my things until the shuttle came and gave great advice on things to see in Antigua!

Thank the staff were very helpful, clean, tidy place to stay

Th El Hostel staff were really welcoming and very helpful. Particular special mention goes to Gabby who helped us figured out our other legs of our trip in Guatemala by calling and booking transport and accommodation for us. The breakfast was also very good and bathroom facilities were clean. Thanks very much for an excellent stay El Hostel!

Amazing very clean very safe place with an amazing atmosphere and good breakfast!

Really appreciated the large lockers under the beds!

I loved this hostel! The beds were comfortable, the staff very nice and helpful and they speak English. They have a bar with cheap drinks and very good smoothies.

We were only able to stay two nights but we had a wonderful time! Awesome staff ,friendly atmosphere, and amazing breakfast! Will definatly be going back as soon as time permits

• 22nd Apr 2014

Too loud, noisy inside and outside. The staff parties along with the guests and invite outside friends along with some with dubious characters, not safe. Obviously to push alcohol sales up and make a bigger proffit. There are two bars across the street with loud music all night long, Angie, Angie being the best of the two if you want to riot. The other loud bar is No Se Perfect Hostel for the idiot that flew 2K or 3K miles to get drunk and make a jack ass of himself.

Couldn't recommend El Hostel enough! Everything you could want in a hostel and more! The free breakfasts were delicious, dorms were spacious and everywhere was very clean. Dorms had large lockers, and the whole hostel was very secure and safe. The staff went above and beyond to make our stay at El Hostel and Antigua memorable. We wouldnt have made the most of our trip to Antigua had it not been for the staff making sure we had our week planned and activities booked! They recommended great places

Lovely hostel kept incredibly clean, they also have great breakfasts & really good value happy hour drinks deals. The only possible downside is if you like to lay in you may struggle as most rooms face onto the courtyard where everyone has breakfast. Other than that perfect relaxed place.

Excellent hostel located centrally and in a beautiful colonial building with a fountain in the centre. Great fun and one of the best breakfasts I ate in Central America (included!). Only complaint would be cleanliness of the toilets at times, minor issue though in an otherwise superb hostel.

Expensive, but not a rip off, because everything was of a high standard.

Antigua is a bit of a party town but I was looking for something a little more low key as I wanted to spend my time seeing the semana santa festivities/hiking volcanos (ie. Not hungover). El hostal was quiet after 10 (except I was in a front dorm facing the street so the jazz bar across the street was jammingon the weekends, I encourage bringing ear plugs) and clean. They encouraged group activities, which is fine, theyre great at booking tours for you for good prices. Good breakfast

• 12th Apr 2014

Lovely oasis in lovely Antigua. One staff member in particular was very informative and gave us some fantastic food recommendations. The staff will put a dvd on the tv for you, bring you drinks and sort your transport/tours out. Room was lovely (walls slightly thin but not a problem). Would definitely stay here again.

This was a beautiful little hostal, very near the center of town. The staff are very friendly and super helpful. They have information on everything and will help you to arrange trips for the best value. Free breakfast in the morning is awesome. Choco is the nicest guy you will ever meet. We loved this place and will be back!

• 4th Apr 2014

The breakfast that is included is great, they even pack you a snack if your leaving early. The staff was super nice and helpful, especially while practicing spanish. A must stay for a quick stop over in Antigua. Check out some pics at https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.646713882060495.1073741851.110680618997160&type=1

• 28th Mar 2014

Always disappointed when El Hostal is full...which means i have to stay somewhere else. This Hostal is amazing in every way. The staff is extremely helpful, fun, and ecologically minded. Its super clean and beautiful. I am a fairly cheap traveler and always stay in the co-ed dorms that are safe and i am always meeting young people to talk to about their adventures...by the way im a 64 year old woman who feels very welcomed here. Been here several times..the BEST

• 26th Mar 2014

Friendly and relaxed place. Highly recommend staying here! Great breakfast! Very helpful staff...