El Jardin de Frida

Fabulous 489 Total Reviews

• England, Couple, 25-30
7th Aug 2017
6.3

It's a lovely little hostel but not great value for money. You're paying for the 'coolness' factor of the beautiful decorations, murals and lovely garden but the actual facilities aren't great considering you're paying $800mxp a night (for a private room). Electricity kept going out, firstly due to a storm but then intermittently in the following days when weather was perfect. On the first day, we also had no water and it was a struggle to get the hostel staff to do anything about it.

Hi, we're sorry about the power outages but there was an almost-hurricane-strength storm passing above us that night. It's impossible for us to stop power from going out, the power went out in all the town. As for the next days it was related to the same issue, the storm kept passing through the peninsula and power keeps failing, we do not control that. As for the water issue, when there's no electricity water can go because of the loss of pressure from the hydro system, and the moment we found out we turned on the backup system, however it couldn't be done immediately since our staff had to go to the roof to open all the valves in the middle of a storm, so it was done as fast as we could. I'm sorry that your experience was not great but we ask you to please have some consideration that when you're in a small town in the middle of the jungle and you have a huge storm passing above you there is stuff that is not going to work properly. However, we took the appropiate actions to make conditions the best we could for our guests while also making sure our staff was safe while doing it.

5th Aug 2017

By far the best hostel we stayed at on our trip, the atmosphere is unbeatable the people are friendly and helpful. It's truly a cultural experience that immerses you. I would recommend this place to anyone who's looking to fall in love with Tulum. It's a 5 minute walk from shops and my favorite restaurants, but there are closer options for food. I hear the beach is far away, but we didn't go to the beach the one day we stayed.

16th Jul 2017

Little ways away from the beach so I would recommend renting bikes. Welcoming and helpful staff, the place is beautiful, the rooms are spacious and artistic, and there are friendly dogs and a cat. Wished we could have stayed here longer, we really enjoyed our stay here.

• Germany, Female, 18-24
10th Jul 2017

I had a perfect stay at El jardin de Frida! It's a quiet place, just what you need to relax. Even though there weren't many solo travelers, it was quite easy to meet other people. The Hostel is a bit further from the beach than the others, but by renting a bike you get there very quickly. The facilities were clean and stuff very nice. Would definitely go there again!

• England, Female, 31-40
23rd May 2017

What a truly special experience. i have travelled for the last 15 yrs and I can easily say this is the best hostel/hotel I have ever stayed in, the colourful scenery, the tropical gardens, the kind and caring staff, the dogs and the general energy of the place is something quite special. I stayed at both a 5 star luxury hotel and at this hostel during my last trip and I can honestly say I preferred this hostel. It was a magical experience and comes highly recommended.

• Australia, Female, 25-30
2nd May 2017
7.1

The hostel itself is absolutely lovely, but the location is a serious drawback. It is located on the outskirts of Tulum town, about 20 mins walk to get back into the main restaurant/public transport area. It looks okay on the map but in reality it's very inconvenient. You will need to rent a bike or walk in the dust. Even then, it is located on the highway, which has giant trucks and lorries going past at all hours - stressy and noisy. The location was a deal breaker.

1st May 2017

A little out of the centre of town on the main road so there was no noise from bars etc. The dorm rooms are far enough back the road noise didn't cause me any trouble. Proper beds not bunks which is ace. Comfortable too. Hot showers. Amazing healthy breakfast. Dorm room was very dark. Needs more lights in there it was hard to find stuff in your bag. Beautiful garden but you need to use a lot of repellant!!!!

• Australia, Female, 25-30
  • Globetrotter
30th Apr 2017
7.4

Cute and quaint hostel with superb breakfast! As all the reviews say, it is a bit of an annoying walk to and from town but if you have a bike it's fine. Also there are lots of mosquitos! I recommend the staff out out citronella to try and deter them.

16th Apr 2017

I stayed at Jarin de Frida while taking classes at a nearby spanish school and it was exactly what I needed. I had a private room with my own bathroom that was plenty spacious and received good light. I rented a bike and was able to easily bike north towards beach or south towards the lagoons and other cenotes. I found it this hostel to be a more quiet atmosphere than other hostels I've stayed at Tulum and for anyone that needs some quiet or is working traveling this is perfect.

• KaamKaam
  • France, Female, 18-24
11th Apr 2017

Everything was so lovely there! It is 10min far from the bus station & every single person working in here was so nice to me! Loved the atmosphere that I've never felt in any other hostel so far. Even the breakfast is homemade & brand new every morning. Would recommend it to any person traveling to Tulum! You guys rock!