El Manzano Reviews

Av. El Puerto 449, Puno, Peru

We didn't actually get to stay there. They sent me an email the night before we were to arrive and said that some other travelers had decided to stay so they were sending us to KANTAYA HOSTEL down the road. That place was easily the worst we have stayed at in a month traveling. There was one man who managed the place who was nice, but it was pretty bad. Dingy, no clean towels, toilet leaked, construction going on above, etc. we wanted El Manzano because it was supposed to be a quiet place.

• 13th Jun 2014

I probably wouldn't recommend this place. I'm not fussy but I booked and paid for a private with ensuite and received a twin with share bathroom (I don't think an ensuite exists here). The beds and pillows are like stone and there is a school or some facility right next door which means it's very noisy from 8am to 5ispm. Location was good but plenty of other hostels with good hostel that might be able to offer a better nights sleep.

Very nice staff. A simple place with everything you need. Plenty of blankets to keep warm at night. Breakfast was ok. The only issue we had is our private bathroom smelt very bad. I would recommend a shared bathroom than a private.

A little off the beaten and away from the central core around the plaza del armas but good location on the way to the lake. The bathroom could use a bit of work in terms of smell (maybe time of day? maybe older building?) but overall I'd stay here again. They also had portable heaters for rent as it was quite cold on the night I stayed here but the bed had tons of blankets. On the scale of Peruvian hostels I've stayed in I wouldn't put it at the very top of the list but it's totally adequate.

• 7th Jun 2014

Very hospitable owner. When our tour company didnt pick us up for 2 hours, the lovely man paid for a taxi for us to the tourist information office. He was very kind

Great place. Good wifi reception as well. Located near the port and bus station. A 15 minute walk to the Plaza de Armas. Good staff.

Thank you for your candid comments.

cold showers, nice rooms and helpful staff. Thank you for the good care.

I stayed in the hostel for two nights. It is a very quiet hostel where you do not meet a lot of people. It is located between the town center and the port, both in walking distance (approx. 10-15min). Since the showers are heated by solar energy, the temperature differs according to the day time. However, in the bathroom one can find an overview of the hours and the expected temperatures. I took a shower in the afternoon and in the evening and both times it was almost boiling hot. Nice! :)

"Check in anytime" does not actually mean anytime so if you arrive on a night bus expect to wait several hours for your room. They did provide a "waiting room" where 2 of the 5 of us could sleep but it reeked of cigarettes so none of us used it. Also initially set aside a 3-bed and a 1-bed instead of the 3-bed and 2-bed we requested. TV/DVD did not work in common room either. To give them benefit of the doubt staff eventually fixed the room problem, were friendly and provided good advice.

Dear Guest, we apologize for what happened, but I think there was a confusion in the reserve and differentiate one double bedroom and one twin, sometimes the translation is not exact. The common room offers a TV and a DVD with premiere movies , if any tourist friend does not know how to use it, you should only seek help from the staff and will be attended to quickly and cordially. The arrival time previously always coordinates in the confirmation of the reservation, for added comfort. Regards

The hostal is very nice with a lovely courtyard where you can relax. The staff is very friendly and helpful but they only speak Spanish. We managed to book a tour and an extra night by playing charades. No problem. The hostal is really perfectly located. a couple minutes walk to the centre of puno and lake titicaca. Take a tour to the islands, you'll love it. Uros is cool but not great. Amantani and Taquile are just lovely and awesome. We had some great markets around the hostal. Local markets.

Good value for money hostel in Puno. Close to Plaza, port to lake Titicaca and very close to busstation and Perurail. Staff will always help you and is very friendly, However the same can be said about almost every hostel in Peru. If you're planning on staying at Puno en want to visit Lake Titicaca, book the tours at the hostel. Their prices are excellent and they'll plan everything for you. Rooms are clean, nice, warm enough and ideal if you're looking for some privacy.

it was a bit cold in the hostel and the rooms and no heaters were provided. I also did not ask for a heater or extra blankets. No real central area to mingle, a very quite place to stay.

• 5th May 2014

In the Peruvian highlands are in the winter season and there is intense cold in the city, our house has electric heaters that you could be rented for only S/10.00 soles, but we also have the option to provide more blankets if you feel very cold in our house we are always to serve them

Fine enough place. Appreciate them looking after luggage after check out. Wouldn't call it 'hot water'.

I had a nice stay at el Manzano.all was good- very nice staff, clean room, nice breakfast (croasant, yogurt, a bit of cereal), good wifi.its a bit out of the center so you need to walk some 10 min but for me that was not a problem.

Nice hostel with a patio. Room a bit old but clean. No heating in the room so it was a bit cold but i think you can rent one at reception for 10 soles. But we had 4 blankets in our bed so we were not cold. Good breakfast. Hot showers. You can book cheap excursions at reception. Very good location : half way beetween buses station and town center. Good price-quality ratio

It's a nice hostel, good location near the bus station, good and hot shower, friendly staff. unfortunately they said they have a kitchen but there is no kitchen and not even a fridge!

I booked a room for two nights but ended up staying for 5 because I loved this hotel and Puno. The tours company they work with is fantastic and the prices are great. The staff is extremely friendly and there's something different for breakfast every day. The location is right between the main plaza and tourist area and the lake. It's also hard to get lost because you simply need to follow the (never used) train tracks.

Great little hostel in a town you are unlikely to stay for longer than a day or two. Perfect place to spend a couple of nights.

no English speaking reception. A lovely hostel. A bit cold at least on march