El Manzano Reviews

Av. El Puerto 449, Puno, Peru

There was no hot water at all when I stayed there.

Its a relaxed welcoming place rooms , near to the bus station and the port. Small kitchen and quiet courtyards

• 13th Aug 2014

One of the rooms had no ventilation and reeked of sewage. The staff were mostly (2 people out of three) attentive and pleasant. Our reservation was not fulfilled as requested (four rooms requested, only three rooms available), yet staff expected payment for all four rooms. Also, their choice of exchange rate was completely arbitrary and quite different from that used elsewhere (to their favor). Further, staff refused to disclose source for exchange rate. Cannot not recommend this hostal.

• 12th Aug 2014

We are a family of three adults and we enjoyed our stay here. We felt the room was bright and well maintained. The owner was very helpful and really cared about his establishment and his clients. We cold walk into town in 10/15 minutes. They were able to organise trips out to Lake Titicaca and Sillistrano towers.

• 1st Aug 2014

Located between the town centre and the port, with a 15 minute walk to the bus station, El Manzano was fine for the one night I stayed there. Expected temperatures for each time you want to use the shower are posted, as the hostel uses a mix of solar and electric power to heat the water. Nobody seemed to speak English, which was no big deal, though they did want payment in Nuevo Sol rather than the US dollars that it requests on your Hostelworld receipt. Not fancy, cheap and clean.

We didn't actually get to stay there. They sent me an email the night before we were to arrive and said that some other travelers had decided to stay so they were sending us to KANTAYA HOSTEL down the road. That place was easily the worst we have stayed at in a month traveling. There was one man who managed the place who was nice, but it was pretty bad. Dingy, no clean towels, toilet leaked, construction going on above, etc. we wanted El Manzano because it was supposed to be a quiet place.

• 13th Jun 2014

I probably wouldn't recommend this place. I'm not fussy but I booked and paid for a private with ensuite and received a twin with share bathroom (I don't think an ensuite exists here). The beds and pillows are like stone and there is a school or some facility right next door which means it's very noisy from 8am to 5ispm. Location was good but plenty of other hostels with good hostel that might be able to offer a better nights sleep.

Very nice staff. A simple place with everything you need. Plenty of blankets to keep warm at night. Breakfast was ok. The only issue we had is our private bathroom smelt very bad. I would recommend a shared bathroom than a private.

A little off the beaten and away from the central core around the plaza del armas but good location on the way to the lake. The bathroom could use a bit of work in terms of smell (maybe time of day? maybe older building?) but overall I'd stay here again. They also had portable heaters for rent as it was quite cold on the night I stayed here but the bed had tons of blankets. On the scale of Peruvian hostels I've stayed in I wouldn't put it at the very top of the list but it's totally adequate.

• 7th Jun 2014

Very hospitable owner. When our tour company didnt pick us up for 2 hours, the lovely man paid for a taxi for us to the tourist information office. He was very kind

Great place. Good wifi reception as well. Located near the port and bus station. A 15 minute walk to the Plaza de Armas. Good staff.

Thank you for your candid comments.

View all Puno Bed and Breakfasts