El Misti Botafogo Hostel e Pousada Reviews

Av. R. Praia de Botafogo 462, Casa 9, Botafogo, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

The staff member on duty was pretty moody and seemed like he resented being asked the simplest thing. Also the rooms are too small for the number of beds in them, so there is not enough space for everybody's bags. People seemed packed in like sardines. But it was cheap during carnaval, so I probably shouldn't have expected anything better.

If you want a busy party area stay in Lapa, or if you want nice beaches stay in Leblon or Ipanema! Staff are good, rooms area average and the social area isn't the best!

I stayed for 7 nights in a shared dorm for 12 girls. I spent a great time because of the people I knew but the hostel itself I think it is not properly for the amount of people is hosting: there are not enough bathrooms and chairs to eat the breakfast, some people ate standing up, wifi is weak, smoking allowed close to the dining room which is annoying for non-smoking people, i didnt receive the pick up service even when I informed to the hostel arriving date and so on I wouldnt stay there again

I really liked the staff and the breakfast. really good! staff is very friendly and helpful and the breakfast is the best i have had in hostels. but there are definitely not enough bathrooms and its not that clean.

It would be better to have more bathrooms for a such amount of people it's not enough.

• 9th Feb 2015
  • Russia

Good location, close to sugar loaf mountain. Not really enough bathrooms but we still managed. Stayed in a private room so it was a bit costly. Otherwise great staff and had a great stay!

• 24th Jan 2015

When my friend and I arrived the staff couldn't find our beds. We had to wait more than 30 minutes for our beds. The rooms aren't locked (but there are individual lockers available). There are very few bathrooms and they are always dirty. Some showers only run cold water. Actually, everything is very dirty: the floors, the sheets don't look clean. Awful. In the end, when it was time to leave, they didn't have change and wouldn't accept credit or debit cards for expenses under 100 dollars.

I like the location and the breakfast. But this is not enough to recommend this hostel. The quality of sleep is poor cause of the heat, lack of ventilation/aircon, open windows and annoying mosquitos. The showers were not possible to use. Some didnt have water some had a broken light... Toilets were totally stuck, dirty and smelly and looked like nobody from the staff was really worried about it. We left after 1 night and moved to BOTAHOSTEL and it's so nice we are here for already 3 nights.

It was good for the price. It's a little small, but it's organized and they make dinners for a good value. The three beds bunks are REALLY tall and I couldn't climb it. The staff - only in this case - didn't helped me at all and made me enter in every room looking for beds where I would feel comfortable and seemed empty so she could see if they were really unbooked. I mean, she could have done that for me, I didn't feel comfortable doing that. They should be used to it. Loved the staff Otávio.

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels