El Misti Botafogo Hostel e Pousada Reviews

Av. R. Praia de Botafogo 462, Casa 9, Botafogo, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I like the location and the breakfast. But this is not enough to recommend this hostel. The quality of sleep is poor cause of the heat, lack of ventilation/aircon, open windows and annoying mosquitos. The showers were not possible to use. Some didnt have water some had a broken light... Toilets were totally stuck, dirty and smelly and looked like nobody from the staff was really worried about it. We left after 1 night and moved to BOTAHOSTEL and it's so nice we are here for already 3 nights.

It was good for the price. It's a little small, but it's organized and they make dinners for a good value. The three beds bunks are REALLY tall and I couldn't climb it. The staff - only in this case - didn't helped me at all and made me enter in every room looking for beds where I would feel comfortable and seemed empty so she could see if they were really unbooked. I mean, she could have done that for me, I didn't feel comfortable doing that. They should be used to it. Loved the staff Otávio.

I booked my stay at el misti for more than 4 nights and they picked me up from the airport as advertised. The location is perfect, it is close to a beach, metro, bus lines, restaurants, banks and shopping centers. In addition the staff are extremely friendly and helpful, especially Mariano. I liked how they try to maintain the restrooms clean throughout the entire day. Also, the breakfast and the atmosphere were great!

• 1st Sep 2014

Dear guest We appreciate your detailed review and we would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review. Please rest assured that we will address your recommendations for the improvement of our hostel. Kind regards, Management

Large house with good space for living, comfortable and well cared beds, full and hearty breakfast, prime location and staff note 10! Everything at good price. Recommend!

• 31st Aug 2014

Stayed here before and really loved it. Returned to have awful wifi, staff seemed miserable and not helpful. There was no atmosphere apart from people sitting on their laptops doing nothing. The music played in the evenings was slow and boring which didn't help. Had to wait till the evening to get bed sheets. My room was like a prison cell so cramped and attached to another room so you are kept awake all night with people moving about. Shame as it used to be great, fun staff, party atmosphere

Dear Nikhill Thank you for your opinion about your recent stay at our hostel. It is the most important value to us to improve our facilities and quality of services. We would like to apologize that we did not reach your expectations. Based on your comment and suggestions, we will make a great effort at any cost to make some improvements. We hope to see you again in the future and give you great experience at out hostel also to exceed your highest expectations. Kind regards, Management

The place is small and so it becomes very crowded. There is only one computer! They don't have a storage room that locks up!!! (Strange) The showers are very dirty and there is always at least a 10-15 min wait. The bunk beds are three tiered...first I have seen in 6 months of traveling! I would hate to climb that high or fall from there!!!! They get a bigger than usual commission from excursions they set up; try to set it up outside.

Dear Oliver Thank you for your opinion about your recent stay at our hostel. It is the most important value to us to improve our facilities and quality of services. We would like to apologize that we did not reach your expectations. Based on your comment and suggestions, we will make a great effort at any cost to make some improvements. We hope to see you again in the future and give you great experience at out hostel also to exceed your highest expectations. Kind regards, Management

No space at all in this hostel, crammed into the dorms and way too few bathrooms, felt like we were being herded in and out. Only stay here if there is absolutely no other option.

Dear Phil Thank you for your opinion about your recent stay at our hostel. It is the most important value to us to improve our facilities and quality of services. We would like to apologize that we did not reach your expectations. Based on your comment and suggestions, we will make a great effort at any cost to make some improvements. We hope to see you again in the future and give you great experience at out hostel also to exceed your highest expectations. Kind regards, Management

Disappointed. Hostel advertise on it's site that they offer free airport pickup for minimum 4-nights stay. I stayed 5 nights but didn't get the pick up. Emailed about it in morning, no response. In evening called them and they asked to email again and I did, nothing again. Facilities were bad. 5 bathrooms for 100+ bed and something was broken in each one of those. One of those had toilet seat broken. As you enter the main door, it's like whole world is smoking there and it's smells like hell.

• 28th Jun 2014
  • India

wonderful area botafogo,this hostel was charging extortionate rates for dorm beds and people was packed in like sardines.there was just too many people in the hostel,with the wooden flooring and beds piled 3 high,there was no fire extinguishers so the place would be very dangerous if there was `an incident`.safe area so no problem coming back late(or early)and near to the metro and bus lines.i was very disappointed with the hostel to be honest and wouldn't visit this place again,rip off tbh.

Dear Anthony We appreciate your detailed review and we would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review. We have a lot of fire extinguishers at the first floor and the second floor. Please rest assured that we will address your recommendations for the improvement of our hostel. Kind regards, Management

You need about 4 or 5 more toilets! The amount of times we had to wait 30-40 minutes to use a toilet was a joke!

Dear Kelli We appreciate your detailed review and we would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review. Please rest assured that we will address your recommendations for the improvement of our hostel. Kind regards, Management

People were sleeping during the checking and it was like they didn't care about us

Dear Julien We appreciate your detailed review and we would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review. Please rest assured that we will address your recommendations for the improvement of our hostel. Kind regards, Management

The wireless internet here is horrible; even in the lobby where it should work for everyone. For the price they are charging, they should have better functioning service because everyone needs this to book tickets, look at maps, etc.

We booked this hostel on hostelworld and later they emailed us to tell us they were "overbooked" and moved to their terrible hostel in a favela near Leme. We had no choice of a refund. We later learned that this is a common tactic El Misti uses, overbooking their popular, more expensive hostels and then moving you to a worse one at the same price.

In this case the review is not for El Misti Botafogo, if you had problems with El Misti Leme.

Argentinian staff, some of them with por portuguese. Sometimes the staff werent too happy to give some informations. No maps, no change

• 6th Mar 2014

Really nice hostel with friendly staff, we stayed here during carnaval it was expensive but really worth it! The hostel was really full at that moment but the staff still have attention for everybody. During all day there where cleaners in the house what was really good, everything was clean all the time. The breakfast was also a plus!

Good atmosphere and friendly, helpful staff.

Everything was fine. Staff were really good, and the food is great. Internet is quite slow and sporadic, and sadly, there isn't enough showers and toilets when the place is full, and there are regular queues.

Staff were great, and the location and everything else is fine. The hostel breakfast is among the best I had in a few hostels in Rio, and the evening food is great! Sadly the only real downside to this place is the dorms are a little cramped, and the internet isn't so great, but hey, you're in Rio! Get out and about instead of sitting on the internet all day.

Awesome place with staff that were gems. Great help with local info and organising different activities. Will definitely return. They helped me survive Carnaval 2014!

• 24th Feb 2014

Basically all the staff was very arrogant, except for the nice guy with white/blond hair. I don't know what goes on with El Misti hostels staff, they act so cold! Unfortunately, their behaviour strongly reminds us of the stereotypes about Buenos Aires's people's behaviour. I went downstairs 7 times during 30 minutes, trying to get the air conditioner to work. Every time I came down the front desk girl acted like she was seeing me for the first time! Great breakfast. Few bathrooms.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7