El Misti Hostel Ilha Grande Reviews

Rua Alice Kury da Silva, 8, Vila do Abraao, Ilha Grande, Brazil

We ignored the bad reviews tht we had read as it was one of the cheapest hostels but we wish we had spent a tiny bit more money as the hostel was really dirty with our room smelling of a bad sour smell the whole three days we stayed there. The staff however,we found so unfriendly that we didn't even want to ask for their help with recommendations etc as we felt so unwelcome there. We tried to spend as little time as possible in the hostel in the evenings. Really stay somewhere else!!

• 14th May 2015

This is not the kind of hostel you book because you want to stay there. It's the kind of hostel you book when every other hostel is full and your only other option is sleeping on the streets. No lockers, no internet, dirty, smelly, overcrowded rooms, no power outlets anywhere, etc. But surprisingly their breakfast was really great.

If you want to stay on Ilha Grande for free, you can probably just walk into the el Misti, go into almost any room and take an available bed. It's really easy because there is virtually no security. No locked front door, inattentive staff, many unlocked room doors, no lockers for bags. Also check your pillows for blood, as I had on mine several large spots. Triple bunks designed more for prison than a hostel, dirty bathrooms, broken wifi, and mostly Brazilian guests all here. Have fun.

• 24th Apr 2015

Dear Daniel, All your comments have been passed to the El Misti team. Make sure that on your next visit, problems as security,beds and staff will be already solved. Kind regards, Management

Rooms have the lowest floor area per person I've ever encountered. The reception staff are utterly incompetent; on arrival, at 4pm, we had to wait an hour to check in, we didn't receive bedsheets till 11.15 pm, someone in our room had their bed stripped of sheets before they left on 2 occasions. Why the hostel doesn't buy a few spare sheets eludes me. Similarly when I asked for toilet paper the receptionist told me she couldn't get to it and I should use a toilet in someone else's room.

Thanks a lot for your service, I will comming back for sure!!!!

• 9th Apr 2015
  • Colombia

"Dear Ingrid, First of all allow me to thank you for choosing El Misti Hostels as host of your recent vacation. We are glad to know we provided you a relaxing experience, highlighted by our facilities and the excellent service offered by our attentive staff. We look forward to welcome you soon. Kind regards, manager Management "

would recommend coming here.

Really great hostel in an amazing location. Wifi wasn't working for iPhones which can be pretty annoying! Staff could have been more helpful- especially when internet wasn't workinh so couldn't book onward steps/tours. Need bigger lockers in the rooms. Doesn't quite match up to other El mistis.

On arrival around 4pm they didn't have lockers, bed sheets, wifi, and only one key for the room. Why don't they fix it? Buy some extra lockers, buy more bed sheets, get an extra wifi router, and duplicate the keys for the rooms. Soon enough all of this was fixed, but it was a very bad first impression, we desperately tried to find a different hostel. The atmosphere in the hostel was great though, good place to meet other people.

Horrible service when we checked in - took about 30min - guy behind the desk was too busy doing nothing. Not enough lockers in the rooms for everyone, or space for that matter. Only plus was the hostel kitten.

Waited 2 hours for bed sheets on arrival, the room was unclean, electricity went out, one bathroom was not enough for 9 people squeezed into a room, there was only 6 lockers. My bunk of which there were 3 × 3 high was highly unsafe as the fan was centimetres from my head (health and safety)

Basic, cramped rooms (no lockers inside rooms or decent storage space) but well-ventilated and clean Kitchen - unclear as to what you can cook with and what belongs solely to hostel staff Terrible internet Good value breakfast included (get up early if you want hot food!) Cheapest (and tasty!) Caipirinhas on the island Well informed, friendly staff

Power to the island went out so no air con or lights or anything (not the hostels fault obviously), I stayed in the overflow place which didn't have a vibe, main place was cool though.

Security wasn't good as the hostel had run out of lockers. I think it's fair to expect enough lockers for all guests. Staff kept us waiting at the check in desk for a very long time, weren't particularly welcoming and weren't helpful with the few queries we had. Very overpriced for what we received.

Good breakfast and alright kitchen but fridge wasn't working during my stay. Wifi wasn't great and rooms were crowded - but I was there during peak season. Some friends had problems with blocked toilets and also there aren't enough lockers for everyone! But despite this I enjoyed my stay at El Misti and met some great people there. If you don't care about having minor issues and more about meeting cool people then I would recommend.

Great location, breakfast, and staff. We were visiting Ilha Grande during a really hot period and the dorm rooms were not properly equipped with A/C so it was hard to sleep.

They mention that there are lockers for everyone, but when we arrived we had to share a locker two people, and several others didn't get a locker at all. Otherwise nice average hostel, located very well close to the ferry dock.

Not enough fans/air con to be comfortable. Showers were not nice. Small lockers for valuables only, not enough for bags.

The hostel was perfect located and had a good breakfast! Really good environment with nice caipirinhas!! The rooms were not super beautiful.. but clean and with air conditioner! The main problem of this hostel is the wi-fi.. really bad..always on and off. Also there was one day with no water...but I guess its not the hostel fault! Overall we liked it and we had a lot of fun!

• 11th Jan 2015

When we arrived there was no running water from the taps or in the shower. Then there was a power cut, this happens all the time apparently, so most places were only off for 5 minutes before their own generators were turned on to provide power again. The hostel didn't have a generator. We then wanted to get our bedding as it had been washed when we had arrived. We couldn't find anyone

It was more like a party hostel with nice common rooms and breakfast. Rooms and toilets were cleaned once a day so they were okay. There should be more charging points because now people had to charge their phones in toilets.