El Misti Hostel Ilha Grande Reviews

Rua Alice Kury da Silva, 8, Vila do Abraao, Ilha Grande, Brazil

Good breakfast and alright kitchen but fridge wasn't working during my stay. Wifi wasn't great and rooms were crowded - but I was there during peak season. Some friends had problems with blocked toilets and also there aren't enough lockers for everyone! But despite this I enjoyed my stay at El Misti and met some great people there. If you don't care about having minor issues and more about meeting cool people then I would recommend.

They mention that there are lockers for everyone, but when we arrived we had to share a locker two people, and several others didn't get a locker at all. Otherwise nice average hostel, located very well close to the ferry dock.

Not enough fans/air con to be comfortable. Showers were not nice. Small lockers for valuables only, not enough for bags.

The hostel was perfect located and had a good breakfast! Really good environment with nice caipirinhas!! The rooms were not super beautiful.. but clean and with air conditioner! The main problem of this hostel is the wi-fi.. really bad..always on and off. Also there was one day with no water...but I guess its not the hostel fault! Overall we liked it and we had a lot of fun!

• 11th Jan 2015

When we arrived there was no running water from the taps or in the shower. Then there was a power cut, this happens all the time apparently, so most places were only off for 5 minutes before their own generators were turned on to provide power again. The hostel didn't have a generator. We then wanted to get our bedding as it had been washed when we had arrived. We couldn't find anyone

It was more like a party hostel with nice common rooms and breakfast. Rooms and toilets were cleaned once a day so they were okay. There should be more charging points because now people had to charge their phones in toilets.

Our opinion is that the hostel is overcrowded.Very small dorm for 9 people.To small kitchen,very badly equipped.For so many people there should be at least on more kitchen or more utensils and bigger fridge.It is a very dirty hostel.We waited for sheets till 6 or 7 p.m.Lockers existing but is impossible to get one(more people than functioning lockers).Also the staff don't care who comes in and out of hostel.Anyone could walk in the room area in "borrow" something. One good thing:breakfast.

The bathroom lights were on a timer so they turned off every five seconds so I had to shower in the dark or wave my arm frantically out of the shower every five seconds. very annoying.

This is more hole than hostel I am afraid. A great location in a beautiful place but the room I was given was absolutely disgusting. Uncovered filthy mattresses in a dank room are order of the day for the 9 bed dorm. There was one locker left semi functional with metal locker doors left loose on the floor and rubbish all over. I told the receptionist that I couldn't stay there and he agreed saying he felt ashamed. He was lovely and gave me my money back but overall a traumatising experience!

Only positive things you can find there is that the bathroom has a door or there’s a roof. That’s all. Two days black out and they have no generator. The staff I’ll keep in mind forever especially after our issue with “we’ve run out of candle for you to have some light in the bathroom, you’ll have buy some”. And after my Spanish speaking friend went there, a magic happened and they had some. If can’t speak Portuguese or Spanish and have a problem, find someone and you’ll solve everything easily

Hostel right in the centre of town, amazing breakfast, staff very helpful, only thing was the first night I stayed there weren't any lockers available for my important bits! Would recommend and the caiphrinihas are amazing!

Really enjoyed our stay in El Misti. Free welcome drink and cheap dinner deals were great. Location is perfect! We were nervous after reading some bad reviews but I don't see where they came from! Beds were spotless, atmosphere was good, people were lovely. Only issue we had was that the lockers are tiny...only suitable for small items (cameras, money, passports) not for storing your rucksack.

Great hostel! Loved it there! Very friendly and helpful staff. The hostel is very cozy, great to meet people! Good music and free caipirinha when you arrive :)

Best atmosphere ever, amazing staff, great breakfast, good caipirinhas...

Staff are so friendly. Really appreciate it. Location is sweet, right near the wharf. Breakfast is AMAZING. Worth coming here just for the breakfast, considering the price is so good as well! The only thing is the dorm was uncomfortable, not especially clean and there wasn't enough power points. But in context it isn't a big deal. Loved it!

"Dear Darcy, We truly appreciate your review! Our top priority is to offer an exceptional service to each of our guest and it is very satisfying to read that this was your case. Thank you for your comments, this motivate us to keep putting our best effort in daily job. Kind regards, Management "

The kitchen is poorly equipped and exceptionally dirty, it's a disgrace that breakfast is prepared in such an environment. Although the breakfast was actually quite good, variety and relatively good quality. The bed sheets were stained and the beds were uncomfortable. No air con and the fan is loud. The bathrooms were dated, messy and required cleaning more frequently. The common area and bar has a good hippy vibe but everything is dated in need of painting or replacing. Look up at the ceiling!

Dear Emily, Thank you for your opinion about your recent stay at our hostel. It is the most important value to us to improve our facilities and quality of services. We would like to apologize that we did not reach your expectations. Based on your comment and suggestions, we will make a great effort at any cost to make some improvements. We hope to see you again in the future and give you great experience at out hostel also to exceed your highest expectations. Kind regards, Management

Nice place with good location. Nice staff.. Good breakfast.. Nice rooms, big shower and toilet. Can improve dinners. Has all kind of the island's tours and information.

Dear Tal, Thank you for sharing with us the experience you lived at El Misti and praising our services, there is no higher reward then to know that our efforts resulted in you having the perfect stay. It is our commitment to make the service as personalized and attentive as possible. Hope to see you again in Ilha Grande! Kind regards, Management

Mendez Lopez hired the tour, we were told that the boat was returning back 17:30 but it was not so when we got to the island, the boat people told us that the last boat returned at 14:30 pm. We returned to the hostel to ask for an explanation, very friendly guys called their boss who did not give us any help and were charged anyway. It seems a shame, I would not go to Misti and neither would recommend.

• 1st Oct 2014
  • Argentina

Dear Leonardo, We appreciate your detailed review and we would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. Please rest assured that we will address your recommendations for the improvement of our hostel. Kind regards, Management "

This is a very popular hostel for backpackers looking for a fun time but the place itself isn't great. Triple bunks that leave little room for personal belongings, kitchen was very poor, no utensils

It is too crowded we almost had to fight for breakfast, and the staff not very helpful at all. Besides they don't have any generator in clase the power goes off, and the wifi didn't work.