El Misti Hostel Ilha Grande Reviews

Rua Alice Kury da Silva, 8, Vila do Abraao, Ilha Grande, Brazil

Hostel right in the centre of town, amazing breakfast, staff very helpful, only thing was the first night I stayed there weren't any lockers available for my important bits! Would recommend and the caiphrinihas are amazing!

Really enjoyed our stay in El Misti. Free welcome drink and cheap dinner deals were great. Location is perfect! We were nervous after reading some bad reviews but I don't see where they came from! Beds were spotless, atmosphere was good, people were lovely. Only issue we had was that the lockers are tiny...only suitable for small items (cameras, money, passports) not for storing your rucksack.

Great hostel! Loved it there! Very friendly and helpful staff. The hostel is very cozy, great to meet people! Good music and free caipirinha when you arrive :)

Best atmosphere ever, amazing staff, great breakfast, good caipirinhas...

Staff are so friendly. Really appreciate it. Location is sweet, right near the wharf. Breakfast is AMAZING. Worth coming here just for the breakfast, considering the price is so good as well! The only thing is the dorm was uncomfortable, not especially clean and there wasn't enough power points. But in context it isn't a big deal. Loved it!

"Dear Darcy, We truly appreciate your review! Our top priority is to offer an exceptional service to each of our guest and it is very satisfying to read that this was your case. Thank you for your comments, this motivate us to keep putting our best effort in daily job. Kind regards, Management "

The kitchen is poorly equipped and exceptionally dirty, it's a disgrace that breakfast is prepared in such an environment. Although the breakfast was actually quite good, variety and relatively good quality. The bed sheets were stained and the beds were uncomfortable. No air con and the fan is loud. The bathrooms were dated, messy and required cleaning more frequently. The common area and bar has a good hippy vibe but everything is dated in need of painting or replacing. Look up at the ceiling!

Dear Emily, Thank you for your opinion about your recent stay at our hostel. It is the most important value to us to improve our facilities and quality of services. We would like to apologize that we did not reach your expectations. Based on your comment and suggestions, we will make a great effort at any cost to make some improvements. We hope to see you again in the future and give you great experience at out hostel also to exceed your highest expectations. Kind regards, Management

Nice place with good location. Nice staff.. Good breakfast.. Nice rooms, big shower and toilet. Can improve dinners. Has all kind of the island's tours and information.

Dear Tal, Thank you for sharing with us the experience you lived at El Misti and praising our services, there is no higher reward then to know that our efforts resulted in you having the perfect stay. It is our commitment to make the service as personalized and attentive as possible. Hope to see you again in Ilha Grande! Kind regards, Management

Mendez Lopez hired the tour, we were told that the boat was returning back 17:30 but it was not so when we got to the island, the boat people told us that the last boat returned at 14:30 pm. We returned to the hostel to ask for an explanation, very friendly guys called their boss who did not give us any help and were charged anyway. It seems a shame, I would not go to Misti and neither would recommend.

• 1st Oct 2014
  • Argentina

Dear Leonardo, We appreciate your detailed review and we would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. Please rest assured that we will address your recommendations for the improvement of our hostel. Kind regards, Management "

This is a very popular hostel for backpackers looking for a fun time but the place itself isn't great. Triple bunks that leave little room for personal belongings, kitchen was very poor, no utensils

It is too crowded we almost had to fight for breakfast, and the staff not very helpful at all. Besides they don't have any generator in clase the power goes off, and the wifi didn't work.

1) I loved the breakfast. I had stayed in many hostels in Brazil, and the breakfast at El Misi Ilha Grange was the best one. 2) Friendly and helpful staff. 3) Humid, noisy and claustrophobic rooms with small beds.

The room is very simple and roots, some sheets stained, just one toilet for a 9 person room, and the bathroom in the common area was "broke" and the staff said that was "only for staff use". The staff is the high or low, or friendly and helpful or very rude. Be prepared: after 23h they don't let you buy WATER, while every store are closed and doesn't matter if you are thirsty or sick! So buy your water in the supermarket before! Nice common area, and the breakfast is the plus in the hostel.

It was a bit crowed. The room had too many beds, no where to put the bags. breakfast was awesome. The receptionist we had was a very unpleasant guy.

I was disappointed by this hostel. It was cramped, very crowded, dirty, and the staff were unpleasant. The real kicker is that when the electricity goes out on the island (which it does fairly often) their reservation system shuts down completely so they cannot make changes to your reservation. You'd think they would have a backup system, but they don't. I ended up wanting to leave a day early because of bad weather, but couldn't cancel because their computers didn't work. Wouldn't recommend!

• 21st Jul 2014

I recently stayed at hostel misti as it was one of the few places still available. The staff was mediocre. At night the guy who worked there was super rude. The rooms basically remind me of a jail cell. Stacked very close together so u can't sit up, sheets are dingy and I was very worried about bed bugs because of the general cleanliness of the place. Worst bathroom lock broken in a 12 person girl dorm and told them three times. Never fixed and while showering had people walk in on me twice.

Location, common area and breakfast were all excellent. However, I found the staff to be quite rude at times and the dorms could definitely use an update considering how much they charge. The sheets were stained and ripped beyond what is acceptable in a hostel. I'm not usually too fussed by this but for the price I paid it was pretty poor form.

Got my money stolen out of my wallet and all the plug sockets didn't work in our room

• 14th Jul 2014

I stayed in El Misti with some friends to enjoy our last days in Brazil, that by coincidence, were he last days of the World Cup. Overall the hostel was nice, just that one of the staff members misbehavied and that made us feel very uncomfortable for the rest of our stay. I can understand the rivality between Brazil and Argentina in soccer but I don´t think it´s fair to constantly be bullied by the recepcionist. Specially one comment involving the president of Argentina, totally out of place.

• 12th Jul 2014
  • Argentina

Breakfast here is awesome.

I enjoyed my stay here. The location is Central and you can book all of the various tours through the hostel. The breakfast was good by South American standards. Rooms and bathrooms were kept clean. My main criticism is that the lockers available for hire are small and cannot fit a tablet or laptop.