El Misti Hostel Rio Reviews

Rua Tonelero 197, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I was staying in El Misti Hostel Rio for Christmas and New Years Eve 2013-2014. Although it was quite full (due to the holiday) they managed to always organize awesome activities for only a few bugs. The staff was always very friendly and very very helpful! The hostel is also located only a 5 minute walk to Copa Cabana which makes the beachlife pretty easy! :D We also met a lot of great people! So I have to thank the hostel for such an awesome stay!! I woudl definitely come back again!

The hostel is very handy to the beach, shops and restaurants. Clean, good beds, great kitchen. The main area is a bit crammed but good to relax in and meet people.

The staff were not friendly and were not very informative as they barely spoke English. The bathrooms were so gross. I didn't want to even go in them. The bartender that worked in the evenings, Paul, was awesome. He was the only staff that socialized with the guests and remembered all of our names. But I would never go back to this hostel or recommend it to anyone.

The worst hostel I have ever been!!!! Don't go there!!!!! There were 1 toilet/shower for 20-30 persons, that was always disgusting and never cleaned properly. All the time the toilets were stucked by belongings of the previous toilet user. Staff was really unfriendly and not helpful at all. Even the bar keeper was defnitely not easy-going. Rooms are very tiny and the atmosphere is depressive! What a bad hostel!!!!!

• 12th Dec 2013

Good place!

The place is fun and filled with people. On that same note, maybe too many people. The common areas are tiny compared to the number of people its meant to accommodate. However the breakfast is tasty even if the room was cramped and unbelievable hot. On the plus side my room was quiet and clean and there were plenty of bathrooms.

Very friendly staff, great location, great atmosphere, didnt encounter any problems. Although unfortunately I didnt get the welcome caipirinha because I stayed only 1 night :(

The staff are really friendly...very Nice hostel .... I recommend :)

If you are travelling to Río, El Misti Río is the best place!!!

• 20th Nov 2013
  • Argentina

The hostel surprised me. Be reformed. Lots of facilities. Excellent breakfast for the standard hostel. Location perfect, in front of the subway station. Just the the bathrooms are so small. Overall highly recommend this hostel

The location was great. Breakfast, cleanliness and staff were fine. The only thing that bothered me was the space inside the room and the bathroom, cause they were really tight.

The staff was really friendly. They are available all the time to give all the information you need. The hostel is conveniently located just few blocks to the amazing Copacabana beach. Everything was awesome

• 5th Nov 2013
  • Argentina

Had an amazing time staying here last week, the people I met were cool and the staff was pretty great, they can get annoyed sometimes but that is expected, I went out with them a few times and had a ton of fun. Bathrooms were pretty clean and I never really had to wait except for maybe at peak hours around 7:00. Overall it's a great environment, the bar is cool and the beer pretty cheap. I had a ton of fun and plan to stay here when I go back. Victor is a pretty chill guy too.

• 30th Oct 2013

the hostel is good, nothing special or bad about it. The staff is helpful, the location is good, it really is 4 streets from the beach, very easy access by bus or subway. And there is the option of eating dinner in the hostel for 15 reais, that is an excellent price for Rio and the food was very good.

can't believe what happened. booked 4 nights, the place is incredibly dirty, rooms really small. after the second day the hostel had no water, so nobody could even go to the bathroom. of course we left and didn't get a refund. that is no place where any human been should be.

Had a fantastic time at this hostel! The lounge area was comfortable and I felt that I could relax there. The dinner's were also very tasty and a great way to meet people for those travelling alone. Most smiley bar man in the world! Only downside is that the rooms are very, very small and the beds are seriously compacted in the rooms, so there's not a whole lot of personal space

Showers are not so hot, especially when the weather in Rio it' s cold.

First of all the hostel is right by the metro station, so no matter where you wanna go you are just steps away from visiting Rio all over. Secondly, the chill area at the entrance made me put my staff away and relax with a Caipirinha in hand ;). The rooms were comfortable and the place was nice and clean. best of all, I loved being just a few blocks form some of the greatest beaches in the world at a really affordable price. I am definitely staying there again!!!

In the hostel El Misti I was one great experience. Is very save, have good location and working peoaple in the hostel are very friendly! I felt at home!!! :)) Do not forget to taste the best caipirinha in Rio with cocktail boy Paul!!! I recommend!!! Enjoy!

• 10th Jul 2013

The staff was not very helpful and knew no Portuguese in a Portuguese-speaking country. Location is good, right by the Siqueira Campos metrô station and 4 blocks from Copacabana beach. I would have the hostel higher ratings had they not allowed four guys, without a previous reservation, to move into the room at 3 in the morning the night before the other three people in the room were running the Rio half marathon. No hostel should just accept people at 3 am. This is poor security.

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels