El Misti House Reviews

Rua Silva Castro 49, Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Great location just 3 blocks away from Copacabana beach. The breakfast is probably one of the best I've had at a hostel. The wifi works great in the common areas but don't expect much in the rooms. The staff are okay with the exception of Renzo. He helped me while I was checking in and he was just wonderful. He made me feel like I was welcomed and I wasn't just another traveler passing through. Don't expect much from the rooms as the bunk beds look a little old. On a brighter note, there's AC!

Staff were great

• 19th Apr 2014

hostel was in great location, staff were excellent and so helpful. Hostel could definitely be cleaned, dorms were small

Wonderful staff, especially Victoria who helped with anything and everything we asked (including multiple phone calls to the airline that lost our luggage), I cant say enough good things about the El Misti team. Yummy breakfasts and also the dinners were great value for money. Would definitely recommend to anyone visiting Rio.

The was dirty, loud and stinky. Apart from that I felt like I was on a field trip from high school. As there were three dorms filled with 15 year old kids next to my dorm. I thought there was a policy that you have to be 18 to stay. The staff was very rude. I booked on hostel world for 2 nights at a certain price. Wen I got there I was surprised to learn that on the books was 3 nights for a price about 30 more than what I had originally agreed to. Instead of honor the original price the guy char

• 11th Apr 2014

Most of the staff members were nice and helpful and were really doing their best, however the hostel facilities absolutely need upgrading, and cleaning has to be taken a lot more seriously (especially in bathrooms) The general stay was ok but for the value offered, could have been cheaper..

Hostel is good, all you can eat dinners are fantastic. Had issues with the ensuite - no water when I arrived - so used another one, and they called someone in to fix the next morning. Then that afternoon all the water in the hostel went out for a while - so not sure if it was a supply problem, but it was fine a few hours later and no more issues. Location was good and staff helpful with directions etc, good english. plus drinks in the evenings were fun.

• 26th Mar 2014
  • New Zealand

Fantastic hostel, the staff are very friendly and helpful. The dinners cooked by the French chef are amazing and the im going to say the breakfast is the best I had on my 6 month adventure from Canada south to Brazil.

I stayed at the Copacabana Misti and this one was nicer in some ways like air conditioning but the atmosphere was very boring. The only good hang out area is the living room and it gets crowded and stuffy in there. They have a bar but they can only make Caipirinhas so it is not very fun to hang out there. You can buy cheap beer but that is about it. The location was nice though, not too far from the beach and super close to the subway.

El Misti house was excellent for location and what it has to offer for activities. I recommend this hostel for travellers.

Great place to stay, staff very helpful, great atmosphere. We stayed in the new side of the hostel which was very nice but not finished. Eg bare electrical cable just above shower head was a concern, and the continuous loss of power & lights was annoying , happened 3out of 4 nights and always while we were in the shower, lucky we had a torch as it was very dark even in the day. If they can sort out this problem it would be a perfect hostel. If I were going back to rio I would stay there again.

Great staff friendly an helpful. Loads of stuff happening all the time. Great big lockers. Lots of people in the rooms but wasn't too bad, not that many toilets/showers for the number of people. Kitchen is good but because the hostel always do a dinner it's never very available when you want to use it. Good spot near metro and beach and lots of busses.

Great hostel (air con in the dorms!), awesome staff! The dinner looks really good as well, but should be served earlier; 9 p.m. for dinner was quite late. Very helpful with the carnival tips as well with the free stuff (masks, hats etc.). Safe area!

"Value for money" = poor because of carnival. I dont know the prices of a normal weekend. "Cleanliness" = poor because there was a lot of moldiness in the showers --> missing (artificial) ventilation or window

• 28th Feb 2014

The hostel is Ok. However it was not worth the overpriced room fare during the carnaval. Beds are three level bunks which I found to be too crowded. Three of them in a relatively small room results in very little space for the nine people staying there. The plus side is that it's popular and as a single traveler it was very easy to meet people. The hostel offers dinner and caipirinias, at extra charge, most nights, which is a good way to meet new people and start your night before going out.

Nice hostel in a great location just down from Copacabana beach. Clean and secure with a free caipirinha on arrival!

Quite a small place, not much room to hang around. Average facilities and atmosphere. There's better hostels than this in Rio. In my opinion, Leblon is far nicer than Copacabana. The beach is better, the surroundings are nicer, the people are sexier, it feels safer.

Nice and friendly stuff! the pick-up-service a good deal, but taxi driver was not there as promised. only after calling (which is difficult without local phone) the driver showed quickly up, but wanted to go away again. great crepes!

We had a great time at El Misti! The breakfast was very good with fresh fruits and fresh juice. In the evening you could have a fresh cooked dinner for 15 Reals and Cocktails for 8 Reals. The Caipirinhas were great and Dinner was excellent as well! Everyday the rooms and the bathrooms were cleaned. The staff was friendly and helpful and created an Atmosphere where you could feel at home. I really much liked it and would certainly come back!

El Misti House is in a good location near the main streets of Copacabana and near the metro station. The members of the staff are great, really helpful. I've received an upgrade and it was a plus. Everything is pretty much clean. What I liked most about the hostel was the atmosphere! Excellent opportunity to meet people from all over the world. Friendly and agreeable place!

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels