El Viajero San Andres Hostel & Suites Reviews

Avenida 20 de Julio Nº3A - 122, San Andres Island, Colombia

When I was checking in, the first thing that I noticed was a couple of cockroaches climbing the walls. That didn't give me a lot of confidence in the cleanliness of the hostel. No space in the hostel was especially dirty, it just all seemed a little rundown. The area is close to everything but didn't feel particularly safe at night as a solo female traveler. One of the more expensive hostels I have stayed in in Colombia and definitely less nice than others like El Viajero in Cartagena.

• 22nd Jan 2016

Dear Traveler, we are very sorry about that situation. Everyday we're trying to improve our service and our hole hostel. Your comment will be sent to the hostel's manager for take actions immediately. Thanks for your time and we hope making changes for all our guestes. Take care.

We booked it trough hostelworld but the hostel was full so we couldn't stay there even it was confirmed by hostelworld, however the lady on the front desk told us before it was full. Even though we couldn't stay there they were really helpful at the front desk and let us use the facilities! Really helpful and nice stuff!

We are so sorry about that situation. We're trying to improve our reservation system to avoid similar problems. Thanks for your opinion about our staff.

Maybe it's just me, but I disliked this place. I didn't like the location (in the busiest&most commercial part of the town, noise is everywhere around). I didn't like the house (an impersonal building that has no character). The worst of all is the customer service (different people on check-in & check-out were super impolite). Besides that they really hiked up the prices for the holiday season and made it simply overrated and not worth it. As well - they make you do your own bed & give no towel

The common areas were distributed by floor As the Hostel is not so great , the common areas are excellent ; Employee care is noteworthy Sandra has warmth in your care , you can do many tours that guide you right there , The kitchen was clean and well equipped . Breakfast was very good, cereal , bread, cheese and ham.

• 24th Dec 2015

The staff was very nice and helpful, but some rooms seem to have a bug problem.

• 16th Dec 2015

Pros - good staff, rooftop bar Cons - a bit away from the beach and the bars, no atmosphere at all, the ensuit bathrooms in the 8 bed dorms are not the best, and a bit icky when there are 8 people sharing and the bathroom is actually in the room

I travelled with a friend and we booked a dorm four days before. When we arrived at the hostel, they told us that my dorm was at the third floor and my friends dorm at the first floor. This means that we were not sleeping together despite we booked together. The two woman of the reception told us that the system did this and that it not could be changed. After a half an hour talking with them we slept in the same room.

Compared to what you would get for $60,000 pesos on the colombian mainland, this hostel is really not up to scratch. Staff were unhelpful and ignored you most of the time. Bathroom was unclean.

• 29th Nov 2015

good hostel!!

The only bad comment I could say is that i wrote an email to tell that we might be a little tight to check-in at 23:00 because our flight was supposed to land at 22:00 and I was worried if that could be a ploblem and I never had answer to my mail. Otherwise, everything was perfect!

• 20th Nov 2015

It's perfect for who like travel alone, the atmosphere is excellent and you can meet many people. Negatives items: Wifi wasn't work very good, and it took 40min to find my reservation.

Our bathroom hasn't been cleanned every day, the launder service was not so good and the locker system was terrible. The coffe break was very poopoor and the kitkitchen was a mesa.

• 18th Nov 2015

The location is right in the middle of the dirty town. They could move it to the edge, so it had access to the beach and was out of the crazy traffic and pollution.

after staying at el viajero in cali I expected more from this viajero hostel in san Andres. Computers didn't work and the safes in the bedrooms didn't work either. Computer system of the staff had problems which meant delays and trouble for guests that had reservations or wanted info. Staff was very nice and laid back but should adopt a more profesional attitude. Breakfast was average as the other viajeros. Good place anyways, many travellers to join for group tours, or go out at night.

We had a terrible experience.The hostel is at a building in downtown. The beach 2 blocks away is not a beach, no sand, no bars, actually it is a very empty part of the city. The room smelled bad. Also I found a huge dead cockroach. My upper bed faced a sort of open ceiling which insects could come and go. On my sheets there were 02 mini cockroaches. I couldn’t sleep anymore and left the Hostel. On top of everything, my friend booked a female room, which was unavailable.

Due to availability issues I've been in both hostels on the island. Compared to the other one El Viajero is very well located with lots of guests from various countries which helped a lot to create a cozy, exciting mood. The hostel is part of the YHA association, but I didn't get a discount (because I didn't have the card as paper with me, only on my cell phone, which is ridiculous as there's no barcode on it, just the membership number). El Viajero is pricier and less hygenic than the other one

The main reason I did not have a good experience was because a member of the staff who was staying in the same dorm took all my personal possessions out of the drawer specifically assigned to my bunk in order to put her stuff inside & put a lock on the drawer. She was staying in a completely separate set of bunk beds & felt entitled to do this b/c the clasp on her drawer had broken. I find it totally unacceptable that a member of the staff would move my things for their own benefit w/o asking.

• 9th Nov 2015

I can't recommend this place if you actually want to enjoy the island. The staff does their job and are fine. Otherwise it's pretty far away from beaches, aircon in dorms doesn't always work, "computers" lined up only for decoration, wifi reception is poor and worst of all were the horrible party games all night. Obviously some guests were able to have fun in the bar but we just had to leave at some point. Even the drinks were horrible...

• 2nd Nov 2015

For me the hostel needs warm water to shower. Also the hostel staff is supposed to advice the people that after certain hour at night they are not supposed to be talking outside the bedrooms because other people want to sleep.

• 24th Oct 2015
  • Peru

everything was good with a good bar with a good view , a kitchen and a TV for those who stayed in dorms , sandra is a special person

• 24th Oct 2015