Elephant Backpacker Sydney Reviews

50 Sir John Young Crescent, Woolloomooloo, Sydney, Australia

Well, I was a bit late for new years eve booking, and this was the only hostel that didn't require two weeks stay. I'm sure you've already seen there are complaints about bedbugs, cleanliness, clogged toilet, unfriendly staff etc. I can only speak to a few of them: Bedbugs: check Clogged toilets/no paper: check But for unfriendly staff and cleanliness, I had an ok experience there. The main selling point which I would stress is the Cafe, good stuff! They serve breakfast for 1 dollar etc!

• 30th Dec 2014
  • Norway

The worst hostel I have ever stayed in in any country. Stayed here for four nights over New Year. The staff didn't have a key for me so I had to leave the room unlocked for the entire stay despite repeatedly requesting them to get me a key. Nowhere was cleaned whilst I was there - guess the cleaners were on hol, toilets clogged up and overflowing, 4 toilets between 14 dorms of 6 ppl each, 3 dirty showers, two sinks only one had water. Reception is not manned consistently, carpets dirty.

• 27th Dec 2014

I arrived at the hostel on Christmas Eve and they had no recollection of me staying there or having anything booked yet they still took my deposit and over booked people in the rooms there for I had to sort my own accommodation out for the first 2 nights till they had a bed free, great start to my trip!!

• 24th Dec 2014

staff is sometimes very helpfull, but most of the times they're closed or not to find. the showers are very dirty and got open sealing holes... you look right into holes where the tubes are... the kitchen is grose. nobody keeps it clean or doing there dishes. Everywhere are walking coackroaches.. some rooms are oke, but most of them are really grose...

• 23rd Dec 2014

If you are looking for something cheap and you are not demanding about cleanliness and facilities this hostel is what you are looking for. Bathrooms and showers were dirty, we didn't find any bedbugs as other reviews say but we were told that the hostel had been recently shut down for disinfestation. Staff not very friendly except for Pietro (thank you so much!). Location is good, just 6/7 minutes walking to the cbd. Atmosphere is ok especially if you intend to stay long-term.

Basic hostel. Its in a good location in walking distance of a lot of great places. Nothing special. Staff not particularly helpful but overall its alright for a few nights.

My worst experience in a hostel so far. We booked a room for 4 people but were split up into different rooms. When we arrived we were told to share pillows because they were running out!! Sharing pillows works great in a bunk bed, btw. The rest in a nutshale: -cock roaches -bed bugs -disgusting toilets

• 18th Dec 2014

Cleanliness was a big issue, and quite a damp smell throughout. I dont expect much from hostels and it was a bed at the end of the day, but they need to improve in my opinion.

Worst hostel so far, disgusting rooms and fascilities. Bed bugs and cockroaches all over the place! Staff was youngster partying in the kitchens. There were no rules for the people living there so everything is a mess.

Nice hostel, conveniently located for St James station and walks to Sydney Harbour. Good lockers in the rooms, but a luggage store that anyone could walk into (its also the laundry room). Nice kitchen, and reasonably priced, good hostel if just staying a few days in Sydney. One note, I booked two nights and for some reason had to move rooms (despite others moving into my room in the morning). I wasn't allowed to re-check in early, so had to wait 3 hours for my new rooms to be made available.

Very bad experience... I was attacked for bed bugs and I had to sleep one night in the same bed (they said the hostel was full) and I was attacked again. So I decided to leave the hostel one day before (when I could) and they only give me back the money for the last night I didn´t sepend there!!

• 16th Nov 2014
  • Spain

Wouldn't stay again, could feel every spring in the mattress, the fan didn't work (it was up to 40 degrees) and the staff didn't make you feel welcome at all. Really disappointed after a good stay earlier in the year.

Dirty, uncomfortable and bed bugs!

• 4th Nov 2014

Don't go there! Worst hostel I've ever been. Dirty place, cockroaches everywhere. Staff was helping people at receptiom and when it finally was my turn after 15 minutes they said they were closed. Bedbuggs all over. Haven't seen any cleaners the 2 nights I stayed. The toilets and bathrooms were awfull, no toiletpaper. The longtermers steal your food oud of the fridge. Had to trow my fridgebag away after my stay because something of someone elses food was leaking all over and in mine.

the bathrooms were really dirty (used soap on the floor, hair on the floor and on the shower, dirt on the floor-even after the cleaning woman/man (just some backpackers) was there). We had bed bugs and cockroaches in our room. As we told the staff that there are bugs in the room they just said "yes we know that" and gave us some spray against it, which did not help.

• 30th Oct 2014
  • Austria

Bedbugs, cockroaches, very dirty, staff is not friendly, people are very loud, i would not go there never again. It was disgusting.

• 29th Oct 2014
  • Finland

Elephant was good, fair way out of main city but was close to botanical gardens, Westfield centre and closer than most other hostels to the main attractions. Our room was newly renovated which was great, it was clean and had lockers for your stuff. Upon check in there was a group in common room being really loud and the guy behind reception told them to be quiet which was great, never seen that in a hostel before. Shower was lovely! Can tell the whole place needs redoing but they are doing so.

• 5th Oct 2014
  • db93
  • British Virgin Islands

For only 19$ a night you can't beat it. Great location, amazing food and deals in the elephant cafe, and fun atmosphere. We would stay here again for sure. The building is a bit old and needs a little work, and the internet isn't the best, but again you are only paying 19 a night which is awesome.

• 16th Sep 2014

Great, friendly staff and cute old building.

• 20th Aug 2014
  • Norway

Very friendly staff and clean accommodation in an excellent location close to city center. But the internet connection didn't work so well, sometimes not at all. It could be excellent - if fixed.

• 14th Aug 2014