Elephant Backpacker Sydney Reviews

50 Sir John Young Crescent, Woolloomooloo, Sydney, Australia

Only stayed for one night but really neat staff, very welcoming and thoughtful. Comfortable bed and room and good shower in clean bathroom. Near to the centre but in relatively quiet part of town. Definitely recommend this backpackers.

• 13th Apr 2015

This hostel is cheap for a reason. The dorm was an okay size. During my stay they showers on the first floor were out of order leaving only 6 showers available for the whole building! Across the road from the hostel every evening the food tuck for the homeless turned up, seeing that many homeless people when you were not aware of it what was going on felt a wee bit intimidating. But guy at reception was ace. But I suppose if you are going to book a cheap bed you can't expect the world

Location is convenient and the hostel is pretty quiet most of the time. Good internet on ground floor and clean kitchen/bathroom... Didn’t cook as hostel has very good and cheap café. Definitely recommend staying here while visiting Sydney.

• 21st Mar 2015

Only spent 1 night but would stay here again. The cafe looked good and very cheap just didn't time to try the food.

Despite the negative comments, the hostel was clean and well maintained! Nothing bad to tell about! Would come again!

• 8th Mar 2015

Just only one thing that are so bad, all lady staffs are not friendly and lazy. I met 3 ladies.

• 5th Mar 2015
  • Thailand

I picked this hostel because I wanted to be a close enough walk to downtown without being in a high rise down and it's a quick walk to the botanic gardens and not as far as kings cross where many of the affordable hostels seem to be. The price was right and the rooms are very spacious with high ceilings so you have enough space. It has a surprisingly cheap Cafe with good food but only a run down common room for hanging out or the tired looking kitchen so that could be improved. Overall it's fine

Not A Good hostel.

• 27th Feb 2015
  • Sweden

This hostel was the worst one which I have taken in my life I bet. There were no rule for guests and too much old building, moreover most guests were too much drink and they enjoyed thier partners sing with a loud voice everywhere in the hostel, especially in kitchen and in fronot of the main gate. Never think this hostel at all.

Well, I was a bit late for new years eve booking, and this was the only hostel that didn't require two weeks stay. I'm sure you've already seen there are complaints about bedbugs, cleanliness, clogged toilet, unfriendly staff etc. I can only speak to a few of them: Bedbugs: check Clogged toilets/no paper: check But for unfriendly staff and cleanliness, I had an ok experience there. The main selling point which I would stress is the Cafe, good stuff! They serve breakfast for 1 dollar etc!

The worst hostel I have ever stayed in in any country. Stayed here for four nights over New Year. The staff didn't have a key for me so I had to leave the room unlocked for the entire stay despite repeatedly requesting them to get me a key. Nowhere was cleaned whilst I was there - guess the cleaners were on hol, toilets clogged up and overflowing, 4 toilets between 14 dorms of 6 ppl each, 3 dirty showers, two sinks only one had water. Reception is not manned consistently, carpets dirty.

• 27th Dec 2014

I arrived at the hostel on Christmas Eve and they had no recollection of me staying there or having anything booked yet they still took my deposit and over booked people in the rooms there for I had to sort my own accommodation out for the first 2 nights till they had a bed free, great start to my trip!!

• 24th Dec 2014

staff is sometimes very helpfull, but most of the times they're closed or not to find. the showers are very dirty and got open sealing holes... you look right into holes where the tubes are... the kitchen is grose. nobody keeps it clean or doing there dishes. Everywhere are walking coackroaches.. some rooms are oke, but most of them are really grose...

• 23rd Dec 2014

If you are looking for something cheap and you are not demanding about cleanliness and facilities this hostel is what you are looking for. Bathrooms and showers were dirty, we didn't find any bedbugs as other reviews say but we were told that the hostel had been recently shut down for disinfestation. Staff not very friendly except for Pietro (thank you so much!). Location is good, just 6/7 minutes walking to the cbd. Atmosphere is ok especially if you intend to stay long-term.

Basic hostel. Its in a good location in walking distance of a lot of great places. Nothing special. Staff not particularly helpful but overall its alright for a few nights.

My worst experience in a hostel so far. We booked a room for 4 people but were split up into different rooms. When we arrived we were told to share pillows because they were running out!! Sharing pillows works great in a bunk bed, btw. The rest in a nutshale: -cock roaches -bed bugs -disgusting toilets

• 18th Dec 2014

Cleanliness was a big issue, and quite a damp smell throughout. I dont expect much from hostels and it was a bed at the end of the day, but they need to improve in my opinion.

Worst hostel so far, disgusting rooms and fascilities. Bed bugs and cockroaches all over the place! Staff was youngster partying in the kitchens. There were no rules for the people living there so everything is a mess.

Nice hostel, conveniently located for St James station and walks to Sydney Harbour. Good lockers in the rooms, but a luggage store that anyone could walk into (its also the laundry room). Nice kitchen, and reasonably priced, good hostel if just staying a few days in Sydney. One note, I booked two nights and for some reason had to move rooms (despite others moving into my room in the morning). I wasn't allowed to re-check in early, so had to wait 3 hours for my new rooms to be made available.

Very bad experience... I was attacked for bed bugs and I had to sleep one night in the same bed (they said the hostel was full) and I was attacked again. So I decided to leave the hostel one day before (when I could) and they only give me back the money for the last night I didn´t sepend there!!

• 16th Nov 2014