Elephant Backpacker Sydney Reviews

50 Sir John Young Crescent, Woolloomooloo, Sydney, Australia

Worst hostel so far, disgusting rooms and fascilities. Bed bugs and cockroaches all over the place! Staff was youngster partying in the kitchens. There were no rules for the people living there so everything is a mess.

Nice hostel, conveniently located for St James station and walks to Sydney Harbour. Good lockers in the rooms, but a luggage store that anyone could walk into (its also the laundry room). Nice kitchen, and reasonably priced, good hostel if just staying a few days in Sydney. One note, I booked two nights and for some reason had to move rooms (despite others moving into my room in the morning). I wasn't allowed to re-check in early, so had to wait 3 hours for my new rooms to be made available.

Very bad experience... I was attacked for bed bugs and I had to sleep one night in the same bed (they said the hostel was full) and I was attacked again. So I decided to leave the hostel one day before (when I could) and they only give me back the money for the last night I didn´t sepend there!!

• 16th Nov 2014
  • Spain

Wouldn't stay again, could feel every spring in the mattress, the fan didn't work (it was up to 40 degrees) and the staff didn't make you feel welcome at all. Really disappointed after a good stay earlier in the year.

Dirty, uncomfortable and bed bugs!

• 4th Nov 2014

Don't go there! Worst hostel I've ever been. Dirty place, cockroaches everywhere. Staff was helping people at receptiom and when it finally was my turn after 15 minutes they said they were closed. Bedbuggs all over. Haven't seen any cleaners the 2 nights I stayed. The toilets and bathrooms were awfull, no toiletpaper. The longtermers steal your food oud of the fridge. Had to trow my fridgebag away after my stay because something of someone elses food was leaking all over and in mine.

the bathrooms were really dirty (used soap on the floor, hair on the floor and on the shower, dirt on the floor-even after the cleaning woman/man (just some backpackers) was there). We had bed bugs and cockroaches in our room. As we told the staff that there are bugs in the room they just said "yes we know that" and gave us some spray against it, which did not help.

• 30th Oct 2014
  • Austria

Bedbugs, cockroaches, very dirty, staff is not friendly, people are very loud, i would not go there never again. It was disgusting.

• 29th Oct 2014
  • Finland

Elephant was good, fair way out of main city but was close to botanical gardens, Westfield centre and closer than most other hostels to the main attractions. Our room was newly renovated which was great, it was clean and had lockers for your stuff. Upon check in there was a group in common room being really loud and the guy behind reception told them to be quiet which was great, never seen that in a hostel before. Shower was lovely! Can tell the whole place needs redoing but they are doing so.

• 5th Oct 2014
  • db93
  • British Virgin Islands

For only 19$ a night you can't beat it. Great location, amazing food and deals in the elephant cafe, and fun atmosphere. We would stay here again for sure. The building is a bit old and needs a little work, and the internet isn't the best, but again you are only paying 19 a night which is awesome.

• 16th Sep 2014

Great, friendly staff and cute old building.

• 20th Aug 2014
  • Norway

Very friendly staff and clean accommodation in an excellent location close to city center. But the internet connection didn't work so well, sometimes not at all. It could be excellent - if fixed.

• 14th Aug 2014
  • Taiwan

Very nice hostel. Good bathrooms, lots of showers. Close to supermarket and city. Perfect for 1-2 days.

• 14th Aug 2014

My stay was AWESOME - Would stay here again!

• 3rd Aug 2014

Staff are fantastic. it's 24 hour reception, room gets cleaned & rubbish removed nearly everyday. Dinning room, kitchen, toilet is cleaned by backpackers & it's pretty good. I stayed in worse place and much dearer. Elephant hostel is spacious, cheap, close to amenities and I was happy to stay there for 2 weeks. There are some cockroaches crawling in the kitchen due to dirty, messy people, not because hostel is dirty.

The man on the desk when we signed in was less then knowledgable on his job. We weren't given a blanket until we had to go back and ask, as well as the plates and cutlery (which everyone is given in a bag on arrival). The toilets and showers were usually filthy. There was band-aids left on a shower floor for 3 days and the toilets were often dirty and rarely washed. When they were washed, the floors were mopped and left wet without any sign to warn you so. There was a lot of permanent residents.

Very good value for money, will definitely stay again.

• 27th Jul 2014
  • Finland

I would definitely recommend this hostel to friends! It's in a great location to access town and it's got a great atmosphere. Made some good friends in the two nights I stayed at Elephant. Wasn't a fan of the kitchen closing at 10pm, but other than that I had a great experience.

• 26th Jul 2014

Perfectly fine if you're happy with basic and affordable accommodation with shared bathrooms. The entire hostel was clean and reception staff were delightful.

• 26th Jul 2014
  • Sweden

I enjoyed my stay although I didn't like not having kitchen utensils at hand. All kitchen utensils are kept at reception and I was walking to an from reception constantly during cooking to ask for other equipment.

• 23rd Jul 2014