Elizabeth Hostel Reviews

490-494 Elizabeth St, Melbourne, Australia

Very dirty showers and bed linen did not look clean! Friendly staff and good location.

Pretty cheap hostel in a great location. Shower temperature is a bit iffy to say the least, and the wifi frequently doesn't work, is very slow, and is only available in the (pretty dark) common area. Your best bet is around the corner at the library instead. But the rooms are large and spacious, without as many beds as possible crammed in like many other places. Kitchen and cold store room also available which was helpful, particularly for long term stays.

I had a good couple of nights. The beds were reasonably comfy and very sturdy, which meant they didn't creak or shift like typical bunk beds when moving or getting up and down. The location, for me, was good. Right next to the Victorian market, close to the centre of town but far enough away that it wasn't too noisy. Staff were lovely and very helpful. Atmosphere was fine, stuff going on but I didn't feel like I had to join in. Age ranges and home country of visitors was varied and interesting.

• 3rd Nov 2014
  • Scotland

12.30am and 5.30am, I repeat that, 12.30am and 5.30am. They are not the times to be playing music loud enough to be at a rock concert, when people are trying to sleep. Absolutely ridiculous. Security is a joke. Anybody could literally walk off the street and go straight into one of the rooms. The dorm rooms are never locked. I would never stay here again.

10min walk away from most of the shops and good places to eat but worth it for the price. Room was clean and came with a bar fridge which was a bonus.

• 29th Oct 2014

It was really dirty. I didn't even want to shower there. You really need to do something about the dirtiness. On the plus side, I slept well - the dorm room was quiet and dark.

• 28th Oct 2014

We have been travelling for for 7 months and this is the worst place we have ever stayed!! The Chinese living there are disgusting (hoiking and spitting constantly right outside our door and woke us up every morning, it is the most disgusting noise). The toilets were horrible, all the Chinese would throw their cigarette butts in there. We suggest the hostel teaches the Chinese how to act respectfully in Australia. The reception guy (Sean) was nice and very helpful.

• 7th Oct 2014
  • New Zealand

I stayed in a single room, which provided a comfy bed, a desk and chair and some hangers for clothes. The room and facilities were reasonably clean. Some construction is still going on, but did not disturb me. Close to restaurants and shopping, walking distance to inner city, but also close to tram lines. Good budget accomodation for my weekend trip.

• 3rd Oct 2014

4th Reminder! Dear Sir, Hostel World, Please kindly refund to me the deposit because I am unable to stay at Elizabeth Hostel and the room allocated is not as per my bookings agreed. Please be honest in business. Kindly reverse US$46.80 and credit to my credit card account as soon as possible. Lim Peck Lian TEL:+60123815215

• 3rd Oct 2014
  • Malaysia

I booked a single room and I got a twin-share room with bunk beds (thankfully I didn't have to share with anyone, though). There was graffiti all over the door and the lockers, and the skylight was dirty (but it's the only natural light in the room as there's no windows), and the room's heater was too hot (and with no window, I couldn't regulate the temperature) I waited 12 hours for a towel that never became available, despite being promised one. But bathrooms are clean and location is good!

Really need a good makeover, big kitchen but lack of tea towel, kind of annoying to have to borrow at the reception everytime for kitchen tools, the female shower room need some plumber work and some curtain shower, and do not know how often do the housekeeper do its work but it is not everyday.

The hostel was very clean and the location is great for easily getting around the city. I didn't find the staff very helpful and think that you're really paying for the location of this one as I've stayed in much nicer hostels for less money.

Hostel is across the street from the Queen Victoria Market which is great. It's walking distance from many things in the CBD. The customer service is ok. The rooms are big or at least the female room. There are no personal outlets or lights by bed. There were three showers in girls bathroom but one was out of service and the other had no shower door. There is very good free wifi and power outlets only in common area. There is no elevator, but staff will help you with your luggage.