Elizabeth Hostel Reviews

490-494 Elizabeth St, Melbourne, Australia

You get what you pay with regards to the facilities. The Wi-Fi wasn't available when we were there, and the carpet wasn't so clean. Nonetheless, the management's sincerity and authenticity was really appreciated. We checked-in at 11pm and due to system confusion was placed with a double instead of twin room. The manager was very understanding and accommodating in helping us out, from check-in to check-out. Would recommend for adventure-seekers and world travelers!

• 26th Feb 2015
  • Malaysia

Nice, helpful staff, comfy beds, spacious showers Room quite hot though and bathrooms one day clean, the other mwah...

While first impressions of the hostel were bad, i soon found that the diverse international crowd it hosts and proximity to Melbourne's CBD and the best chinese food in Australia did a good job making up for the hostels lackluster amenities. If you dont mind sacrificing some comforts for culture and location then youve come to the right place. That being said there are more comfortable beds in nicer hostels around Melbourne for the same price.

rude manager, lower than average cleanliness standards and the staff werent very helpful towards any enquiries

• 5th Feb 2015

Great place to meet people, especially if you're a young backpacker. Had an awesome stay here.

• 3rd Feb 2015

Bed wasn't very comfortable. Wifi doesn't work in bedroom and is slow. Staff are very nice. Good kitchen. One of the better hostels I've stayed at in melbourne.

Dirty room ! A Discusting smell ! Kitchen dirty. Everything is old.

The room was not cleaned prior to us booking in, the cleaner came to vacuum after we had arrived, did not do a good job, rubbish under bed, dirty linen. A male had entered the female bathroom while my wife was showering, upon complaining to management we were told it is only a hostel, this happened twice. A $10-00 per night caravan/camping park does not tolerate this, offenders are kicked out.

• 31st Dec 2014

My stay generally was good, but I got the worst mattress in the room. It was an old one and I layed on the metal of bed. Really uncomfortable. And the room inself was really dark. Kitchen was untidy, but this always depends on the guest. The bathroom was clean. The wifi was bad.

Very dirty showers and bed linen did not look clean! Friendly staff and good location.

Pretty cheap hostel in a great location. Shower temperature is a bit iffy to say the least, and the wifi frequently doesn't work, is very slow, and is only available in the (pretty dark) common area. Your best bet is around the corner at the library instead. But the rooms are large and spacious, without as many beds as possible crammed in like many other places. Kitchen and cold store room also available which was helpful, particularly for long term stays.

I had a good couple of nights. The beds were reasonably comfy and very sturdy, which meant they didn't creak or shift like typical bunk beds when moving or getting up and down. The location, for me, was good. Right next to the Victorian market, close to the centre of town but far enough away that it wasn't too noisy. Staff were lovely and very helpful. Atmosphere was fine, stuff going on but I didn't feel like I had to join in. Age ranges and home country of visitors was varied and interesting.

• 3rd Nov 2014
  • Scotland

12.30am and 5.30am, I repeat that, 12.30am and 5.30am. They are not the times to be playing music loud enough to be at a rock concert, when people are trying to sleep. Absolutely ridiculous. Security is a joke. Anybody could literally walk off the street and go straight into one of the rooms. The dorm rooms are never locked. I would never stay here again.

10min walk away from most of the shops and good places to eat but worth it for the price. Room was clean and came with a bar fridge which was a bonus.

• 29th Oct 2014

It was really dirty. I didn't even want to shower there. You really need to do something about the dirtiness. On the plus side, I slept well - the dorm room was quiet and dark.

• 28th Oct 2014

We have been travelling for for 7 months and this is the worst place we have ever stayed!! The Chinese living there are disgusting (hoiking and spitting constantly right outside our door and woke us up every morning, it is the most disgusting noise). The toilets were horrible, all the Chinese would throw their cigarette butts in there. We suggest the hostel teaches the Chinese how to act respectfully in Australia. The reception guy (Sean) was nice and very helpful.

• 7th Oct 2014
  • New Zealand

I stayed in a single room, which provided a comfy bed, a desk and chair and some hangers for clothes. The room and facilities were reasonably clean. Some construction is still going on, but did not disturb me. Close to restaurants and shopping, walking distance to inner city, but also close to tram lines. Good budget accomodation for my weekend trip.

• 3rd Oct 2014

4th Reminder! Dear Sir, Hostel World, Please kindly refund to me the deposit because I am unable to stay at Elizabeth Hostel and the room allocated is not as per my bookings agreed. Please be honest in business. Kindly reverse US$46.80 and credit to my credit card account as soon as possible. Lim Peck Lian TEL:+60123815215

• 3rd Oct 2014
  • Malaysia

I booked a single room and I got a twin-share room with bunk beds (thankfully I didn't have to share with anyone, though). There was graffiti all over the door and the lockers, and the skylight was dirty (but it's the only natural light in the room as there's no windows), and the room's heater was too hot (and with no window, I couldn't regulate the temperature) I waited 12 hours for a towel that never became available, despite being promised one. But bathrooms are clean and location is good!

Really need a good makeover, big kitchen but lack of tea towel, kind of annoying to have to borrow at the reception everytime for kitchen tools, the female shower room need some plumber work and some curtain shower, and do not know how often do the housekeeper do its work but it is not everyday.