Elizabeth Hostel Reviews

490-494 Elizabeth St, Melbourne, Australia

Quite possibly the most ridiculous place I have ever seen. They had overbooked the rooms to the point where they had 4 people vying for one bed that looked like it hadn't been cleaned since the 70's. No one spoke English which made communication impossible. They had people smoking in the kitchen (weed) playing uncomfortably loud ska reggae with people coming and going getting baggies. My glasses were stolen in the time I went to the bathroom. Then oddly the manager just up and left for 45mins?

• 28th Mar 2015

Pretty disgusting hostel compared to others in the city, lost my booking so I had to compromise on room and then got robbed

• 28th Mar 2015
  • New Zealand

I had a lovely time! Met awesome people!

• 16th Mar 2015

During the 4 nights I stayed at this hostel the police was called twice. Things were stolen from the fridges, the kitchen was very dirty and in the bathrooms on my floor wasn't any toilet paper for two days I was really glad when I left Melbourne because of the hostel and with 34 and 32 $ a night it wasn't even cheap.

• 6th Mar 2015

Kitchen was dirty. Rooms doesn't have plugs to recharge cellphone. Bathrooms are good, very big.

Horrible! Dirty and smelly! Would rather use the public bathrooms out in the streets than those at the hostel!

You get what you pay with regards to the facilities. The Wi-Fi wasn't available when we were there, and the carpet wasn't so clean. Nonetheless, the management's sincerity and authenticity was really appreciated. We checked-in at 11pm and due to system confusion was placed with a double instead of twin room. The manager was very understanding and accommodating in helping us out, from check-in to check-out. Would recommend for adventure-seekers and world travelers!

• 26th Feb 2015
  • Malaysia

Nice, helpful staff, comfy beds, spacious showers Room quite hot though and bathrooms one day clean, the other mwah...

While first impressions of the hostel were bad, i soon found that the diverse international crowd it hosts and proximity to Melbourne's CBD and the best chinese food in Australia did a good job making up for the hostels lackluster amenities. If you dont mind sacrificing some comforts for culture and location then youve come to the right place. That being said there are more comfortable beds in nicer hostels around Melbourne for the same price.

rude manager, lower than average cleanliness standards and the staff werent very helpful towards any enquiries

• 5th Feb 2015

Great place to meet people, especially if you're a young backpacker. Had an awesome stay here.

• 3rd Feb 2015

Bed wasn't very comfortable. Wifi doesn't work in bedroom and is slow. Staff are very nice. Good kitchen. One of the better hostels I've stayed at in melbourne.

Dirty room ! A Discusting smell ! Kitchen dirty. Everything is old.

The room was not cleaned prior to us booking in, the cleaner came to vacuum after we had arrived, did not do a good job, rubbish under bed, dirty linen. A male had entered the female bathroom while my wife was showering, upon complaining to management we were told it is only a hostel, this happened twice. A $10-00 per night caravan/camping park does not tolerate this, offenders are kicked out.

• 31st Dec 2014

My stay generally was good, but I got the worst mattress in the room. It was an old one and I layed on the metal of bed. Really uncomfortable. And the room inself was really dark. Kitchen was untidy, but this always depends on the guest. The bathroom was clean. The wifi was bad.

Very dirty showers and bed linen did not look clean! Friendly staff and good location.

Pretty cheap hostel in a great location. Shower temperature is a bit iffy to say the least, and the wifi frequently doesn't work, is very slow, and is only available in the (pretty dark) common area. Your best bet is around the corner at the library instead. But the rooms are large and spacious, without as many beds as possible crammed in like many other places. Kitchen and cold store room also available which was helpful, particularly for long term stays.

I had a good couple of nights. The beds were reasonably comfy and very sturdy, which meant they didn't creak or shift like typical bunk beds when moving or getting up and down. The location, for me, was good. Right next to the Victorian market, close to the centre of town but far enough away that it wasn't too noisy. Staff were lovely and very helpful. Atmosphere was fine, stuff going on but I didn't feel like I had to join in. Age ranges and home country of visitors was varied and interesting.

• 3rd Nov 2014
  • Scotland

12.30am and 5.30am, I repeat that, 12.30am and 5.30am. They are not the times to be playing music loud enough to be at a rock concert, when people are trying to sleep. Absolutely ridiculous. Security is a joke. Anybody could literally walk off the street and go straight into one of the rooms. The dorm rooms are never locked. I would never stay here again.

10min walk away from most of the shops and good places to eat but worth it for the price. Room was clean and came with a bar fridge which was a bonus.

• 29th Oct 2014