Emerald Fields Reviews

Via Guelfa, 59, Florence, Italy

I can't say enough about the location. It's within walking distance to the train station and everything else in Florence you could want to see. That being said, I would rather stay on the steps on the Uffizzi than stay here again. There is no air conditioning, so you have to leave your windows open at night and get eaten alive by mosquitos. There are only 3 one person bathrooms in the whole place so you have to fight people for a shower in the morning and night. I would never stay here again.

I really enjoyed my 2 night stay at Emerald Fields. It's really close to the central market and leather market and a walk away from everything else, which is sort of a default in Florence since the city is pretty small. The bed are ridiculously comfortable. Our room didn't lock which was a bit odd. But other than that they have a nice back patio, well lit hostel and a friendly staff. I did my laundry here and it was ridiculously easy and done better than I expected - they do it all for you!

I don't leave reviews, but my friend and I just stayed here and had the best hostel stay we have ever experienced! Definitely recommended, especially for groups. Very close to the train station and the duomo :)

• 1st Jun 2014

I really enjoyed my stay here. The rooms are very comfortable and clean. The kitchen was a great place to meet other travelers. And it seems that everyone staying here were travelers which is nice because you are able to meet a lot of people to travel with.

I was very disappointed upon entering this place to discover a severe lack of emeralds and fields. I also think this hostel needs to redefine its idea of how a dorm room should be set up. Rather than have 3 beds right next to each other (making for extremely uncomfortable pillow talk with someone you just met 5 minutes ago) it's probably a better idea to have bunks so at least there's an illusion of privacy. Also ventilation was lacking a bit, the stench of stinky feet was not a nice aroma.

It was a little tricky to find the place because it doesn't have a sign on the side of the building, only on the buzzer box by the door. And the street numbering is out of order. But the room was good enough. It had lockers but not the kind you can put your own lock on. There's a kitchen downstairs and fridges on each floor if you want to make your own food. Staff was nice and helpful, but I don't think they're there all night.

Good stay. As was clearly outlined in the description, this is not a hostel; it is an apartment that is rented out to travellers. I was in a comfortable room with 3 beds. Antonio, the owner was super friendly and helpful! We made a deal for a towel (I lost mine at my previous hostel) and when I wanted to stay a third night, we made yet another deal. Nice and flexible; he even offered to let me keep my luggage in the apartment overnight if I wanted to spend a night hiking Cinque Terre, no charge!

Great location 5 min. from train station and walking distance to everything there. I would recommend the hostel.

the shower in the big bathroom on the ground floor needs replacement, poor water pressure

First hostel I have visited in my travels that has a mandatory "lock out" - which is fantastic as this allows for staff to maintain its extreme cleanliness - Well done. Staff were great people very accomdating - made me feel welcome. Rooms, facilities were what are expected in a hostel, comfortable rooms with lots of space. One minor improvement would be to fix the lockers in te "5 bed dorm on the second level as you enter from the stairs" require fixing or replacing. Location is fantastic!

The free breakfast is coffee, cookies, and toast. The last day I was there they had run out of bread. The rooms are clean, bathrooms not bad considering how many people share them. They also kick you out in the middle of the day to clean. Only hostel I've stayed in that didnt have a separate cleaning staff. Only saw 2 guys working the entire time. WiFi works in the kitchen, very spotty upstairs. Shout out to DANIEL at the reception. Really friendly and helpful. Highlight of the hostel

Very nice hostel, clean and they provide you with a lot of useful inormation. Th receptionit in the evening wa very kind. Breakfast is a bit limitated, for th price of the hostel you should have a bit more options, first day did not even have toast, only cookies. The little garden is very nice to have. All in all very goo but a bit expensive for shared rooms.

This was my least favorite hostel on my 11-week European tour. The staff was rude, the place wasn't very clean, no door locks and there's a weird policy where you're not allowed to be in the hostel from 11:00 to 2:00 while they clean. I wanted to come back to use the bathroom and get something out of my bag and I was basically told to go away. I had to sneak in (security was pretty poor). I'm no doctor either, but I'm pretty sure this was where I caught strep throat. I would NOT stay here again.

One of my favorite hostels on my month long trip. My boyfriend and I booked two beds in a 3 bedroom and were upgraded to a private double for free! The rooms were colorful and clean while the bathrooms were fairly spacious and also clean. Great stay!

One shower collected 3 inches of water when you showered. In the other, the shower head was broke and you had to hold it up with one hand, while trying to rinse off your hair with the other. Wi-fi was terrible, had to walk up and down the hall to find a hot spot and stand to use it. Had lockers, but bring your own lock - P.E.. style lockers. Within walking distance of pretty much everything. About 15 minute walk from train station when carrying luggage. Does have a kitchen.

Good hostel although it may seen far from the attractions it is really close and in a safe neighbourhood.

I loved this place. I was very relieved to arrive and immediately feel safe and welcomed. I did not meet the owner, but the boys who were staffing the hostel were so friendly and helpful, especially Angel. The only thing I wish had been different were the strength of the wireless signal and the lack of towels. Other than that, it was well worth the fee. Thank you for a great time!

• 14th Apr 2014

Overall a good hostel, but we had an issue with one of the staff members during the morning. We tried to pay for our stay three times and the front desk didn't have change any of the times. The third time, I was a little frustrated and made that known, and the front desk worker went off on me for expecting him to have change early in the morning. I understand that, but his attitude was not professional. Also, breakfast was supposed to be ready at 8 but it wasn't until 8:20 which made me late.

Great stay great location awesome staff minus one bad apple. The lockout is inconvenient but honestly if you're touring around Florence you shouldn't be laying around from 11-2 anyway

We had a good time for the money. It's well located close to the train station and the city center: In Florence you can easily walk everywhere. It's not really quiet in the nights and there are surprisingly lots of mosquitos. Lockout for cleaning 11am-14pm! There are only 4 Bathrooms (Shower/Toilet) for the entire hostel, so you often have to wait a bit. Breakfast is not included(!), but you can possibly get some coffee, cookies and toast between 8-10am. The staff was very nice. Wifi worked.