Emile Hostel Reviews

Montagu Bastion, Line Wall Road, Gibraltar, Gibraltar

It was kind of scarry over there as there steyed only (drunk?) men and I'm a girl. It wasn't so clean there either. Don't stay there alone as a girl if you want to sleep in the night and not stay awake afraid to get stolen in the night. Thanks to the housekeepe - he gave me a room for my own and a key, otherwise I would have run away... Furthermore it wasn't clean and the beds had definitly no clean sheets!

• 15th Sep 2014

The location is actually pretty good, but that is about it, and I don't think this place deserves a high rating for that. There is no staff, no security, the owner wonders off at random intervals, no kitchen, no activities, the showers are crap, you need to brush your teeth in the toilet sink, no room keys so anybody can walk into any room, the beds are rickety and sagging> like sleeping in a wheelbarrow. This is the only hostel in Gibraltar. No competition, no effort. Don't go here.

I enjoyed my stay.Lauren was especially helpful.the location is excellent, in the centre of all your needs.but still tranquil at night.perfect for one night, or the long stay.

• 1st Sep 2014

As a Monopoly, there are no incentives to offer a better service. Only backpacking option in Gibraltar.

Unfortunately the only option for backpackers in gibraltar. Reception is very poor, finding someone there is rare, I waited outside for over half an hour before I could check in. There is no drinking on the premesis if you fancy a drink of an evening. No locks on bedroom door which would be find but there were no lockers either. Lights in the showers were not working and very poor showers. Receptionist said i could not check out before 8am so I just left the keys and went!

Only stayed one night but it was truely the worst experience I've had staying in a hostel. No hot water when I stayed, found dirty cigarette filters in my matteress (wasn't given blankets, only a fitted sheet.) In the morning hostel owners son came into our room unannounced and then we found him looking in our window later. Would have liked to confront the owner but reception is nonexistent here. Left with a strange rash on my neck. Only hostel in town so -- make it a day trip or pay for hotel.

Emile Hostel is a no frills stay. Facilities are basic. No lock on dorm door, sometimes a bed sheet, no storage provided. Quite noisy at sunrise as the hostel overlooks the main road. Great location though, 1 min from main square. £20 p/n is expensive for what you get but if you just need a bed, it's fine compared to hotel prices! Although aloof at first, the owner is a lovely chap as were all the staff I met, esp Tariq and Idris :) I'd return but expect the very minimum.

• 22nd Aug 2014

The Hostel is fairly basic - but that is what you would expect. The staff though were very accommodating and went out of their way to make sure we were able to leave our belongings safely and shower before we left for our evening flight back.

• 19th Aug 2014

The staff and owner were very friendly and helpful. It's an ok hostel for one night, really well located in the centre and Gibraltar only needs a day to see. No lock but they kept my things in the office safe.

Pros: Location Cleanliness Nice outdoor seating area Small intimate hostel Friendly and helpful owner Cons: Check-in staff unwelcoming Old-fashioned We stayed, prepared from the quite negative reviews, most of which we thought were fair. However, Gibraltar is an amazing place, and if you spend a little bit of time getting to know the owner, he is a really friendly and helpful guy. So, if you can accept the somewhat old-school hostel, you'll have a great time visiting.

The owner was very obliging and went out of his way to make me comfortable. It was supposed to include breakfast but didn't but he deigned to make me a cup of coffee. Overall I was happy with my stay but for the price it was "bare-bones"

The hostel manager was very welcoming

• 27th Jul 2014

The hostel costs quite a lot; however Gibraltar itself is quite expensive, so the cost is not unreasonable. It is a very nice place to stay in. It was very quiet at night, and has a great location right in the centre of Gibraltar. It is best for short stays as there are no kitchen or clothes washing facilities. It is not really the type of place where you will meet fellow travellers if you are travelling alone as I was. Gibraltar and the surrounding area is amazing though - highly recommended!

• 22nd Jul 2014
  • Scotland

It's obvious that this hostel has no competition. It has no facilities other than a bed and the owners seem to do the minimum they have to. A little effort on their part would go a long way. Someone needs to open a decent hostel in Gibraltar. I would not stay here again.

All staff is good, but the best worker is Tariq - he is very kind and active , God bless him !

I was a tad worried about this one cause it's percentage wasn't too high, but I was pleasantly surprised. The staff were friendly and helpful, the location was awesome, the dorms were well-used but clean and comfortable. It was by far the best deal on the Rock and we were quite glad we chose it.

This seems to be the only hostel in Gibraltar so is quite pricy. Staff was friendly and very keen to help. Room was a bit worn and the taps in the basins all seemed to be temperamental. Perfect location right next to the main square but quiet at night. Ignore the map here on hostelworld - it's correctly marked on the tourist maps/boards around the city, next to casemates square.

A great stay in the heart of Gibraltar! The location of the hostel is amazing, as it is situated right by the Casemates square, in the center. The staff were very pleasant and I have no complaints about the facilities. I had a great stay, thanks!

I'm sorry but we can't really fill in the survey as we got married in gibraltar and had a lovely meal on the night and ended up being invited to a couples house for a party threw the night We didn't actual stay in the hostel

• 19th Jun 2014
  • Couple, 41+

The only downside is no kitchen apart from that its a very good hostel a very welcoming friendly place.

• 8th Jun 2014