Empire Hostel Reviews

41 Opal Crescent Level 2 Unit, Singapore, Singapore

not bad. Meet diff culture people here

• 2nd Aug 2014
  • Malaysia

I was a little sceptical about booking here after reading the other reviews, but I'm very glad I did! Kim is a very nice, helpful and considerate person. You just have to respect her and her rules. It's easy to connect to central locations, and there is delicious and cheap dining just downstairs, would definitely come back.

We really enjoyed our stay here. We were cautious at first due to other reviews on here regarding the staff, but we had no issues at all. Kim must work her butt off because the hostel was spotless all the time. She was also friendly and helpful with any information we needed. The only problem is that the location isn't central to all the sites in Singapore but it's a 5 minute walk to the metro and it's really easy/cheap to get around. Will stay there again if in town. Thanks!

They stole our flipflops, bathroom was desgusting, the lady that checked us in was very rude. don't forget to read the little letters: you have to pay the fee for hostelworld extra on the total amount!! Pay for towels and pay for luggage storage, if you just stay one night: pay extra again... airco was not working at all, so warm in the room, wifi was very poor (couldnt even open my mails) ... Will never stay there again.

The hostel itself chose to take it upon themselves to charge us the 12% deposit fee on top of the cost of the hostel for the evening. This 12% fee was already paid to hostel world as a deposit and the hostel is misusing the system by charging us again. Setting that aside the management at the hostel was extremely rude. Each bed gets free usage to one assigned security box. But because we booked two beds with one payment we would be charged an extra fee to get to use the second allocated box.

• 26th Jul 2014

a good place to stay!thank you Ms.kim . You've done a good job

Really I never go there again. Receptionist lady dont know how respect peoople talk too high and make big noise, fight with anyone ask sbout anything. Hole day living hall no air condition. No fan really toooo hot living hall . Rooms no fan no air condition, only air conditioning in room start in 7 pm to 9 am and whole daytime rooms too hot cant stay One I was been there , one lady lost her shoes.any receptionist lady no take care no talk nice to her Hostel too far ,.just one way transport

The receptionist/cleaner called Kim is extremely rude. She even threatened to call the police and kick me out because... she gaveme a wrong key and changing it was too much hassle for her. Next morning she wouldn't give back my passport untill I paid double because... I kept my clothes on a spare bed over night. Unless you have nervers to deal with mentals go for one of the other cheap hostels, especially when considering it's poor location.

I stayed in Empire Hostel for 2 weeks and 2 days. The dorm felt like home to me. I never had a problem with the manager Kim. I know there's a lot of guests who didn't like her though. Just don't get on Kim's nerves and you will be fine. Make sure you read and obey to all the signs on the walls. Kim may not be the kind of host you want but hey, if all you need is a clean and safe place to stay for a reasonable price . . . I highly recommend Empire Hostel.

The attitude of the woman who runs this hostel is very bad. She complained to me many times about how much work it is when people only stay 1 nite and that she doesn't like it & she charges extra for it. That is not professional. This is the business she is in! She interrupted me when about to take a nap telling me to change rooms "NOW". Then when I came out of the shower she made me give my key back "NOW!". WOKE ME UP to tell me check out in 2 hours. WOW. Terrible. Appreciate your guests!

They should have the electric fans working since they turn off A/C during the day.

Thanks for everything Kim, really enjoyed our stay :)

Kim is nice and accomodating. Maybe u can provide water dispenser for free.

• 6th Jul 2014
  • Philippines

10 to 15 minutes walk South from Potong Pasir MRT station, crossing road under flyover. Clean enough, not bad for stay. Just read carefully their house rule before you booked. If you stay only one night, there's internet charge. Some other hostels in Singapore do the same thing.

• 19th Jun 2014
  • Indonesia

This hostel was not easy to find but is a good cheap option in Singapore. Its close to public transport, Kim is nice, its clean and the beds are comfy.

When the first time I came to this place (2012), I like it so much. It has a warm atmosphere, good hospitality, and comfortable neighbourhood. Now, in 2014, I feel different than before. It has a bad atmosphere. The landlady always keep the eyes on you all the time. No freedom!

It was a nightmare for me, no hospitality from the staff (Kim),the room was dirty and i have to paid extra 30sgd as a penalty because i lost my room key inside the hostel room ( i was pretty sure the staf already keep the key and she asked me to paid the penalty).. I swear i wont stay at this f**king hostel anymore!!

• 29th May 2014
  • Indonesia

The communal room is VERY HOT because ONLY ONE fan and it was used by a frequent long staying guest playing on computer. Staff need a lot of improvement with attitude and need to show more smile. She likes to spend most of the time in closed door office or in her bedroom. I noticed that this hostel probably STILL accompany foreign workers regardless there is a notice posted forbiding their stay. No additional fan was the reason for low rating in facility and value for money.

Full security, responsible staff, excellent cleanliness and great value for money

• 23rd May 2014
  • India

This hostel is said to be among the cheapest options in Singapore. My room was quite spacey and has its own locker and an A/C. The wooden floor was very nice. It was quite worth the money. However, I wonder why I had to pay the hostess the whole rent for two nights, not the balance after the deposit I had paid online like I did at other hostels.