Empire Hostel Reviews

41 Opal Crescent Level 2 Unit, Singapore, Singapore

I really enjoyed my stay here. Kim made me feel so welcome and relaxed. She also made my visit to Singapore very stress free. The hostel is basic but kept clean. It's also only a 5min walk to Potong Pasir MRT Station so it is fairly easy to get around. My stay here was very pleasant and cheap to stay.

• 24th Sep 2014
  • Scotland

Great Beds, although not the friendliest of staff, very efficient though and amazing value!

Many reviews mention that the manager was unfriendly. Yes, she might appear a bit harsh at the first glance but she is a good and kindhearted person, friendly + very helpful! Besides, the place was one the cleanest guesthouses I have ever stayed at and unlike many other hostels in South East Asia, there were some kitchen facilities. Unfortunately it is a bit out of town so you have to take the bus or mrt everywhere, but the station is pretty close and, yes, the price is unbeatable for Singapore.

The lady who is manager is very arrogant n very bad experiences. She hates indians.pl.indians beware of going to empire hostel in opal crescent.very bad lady

The best place to stay on a budget in Singapore. You will meet lots of different people here. The staff is very nice and helpful. Just be friendly and respectful and you will have a great stay and enjoy Singapore!

• 6th Sep 2014

The lady is quite rude but the place is ok, quite clean. She asks 30USD for key deposit. Really cheap for what you get! A good occasion! I'd advice it

Manager so rude with everybody!! Even if it was a castle she can ruin your stay!!! Only ways to get the hostel are mtr or cab!! No shuttle from the airport (because is too far) and no pick up from the hostel as show on website!!!

not bad. Meet diff culture people here

• 2nd Aug 2014
  • Malaysia

I was a little sceptical about booking here after reading the other reviews, but I'm very glad I did! Kim is a very nice, helpful and considerate person. You just have to respect her and her rules. It's easy to connect to central locations, and there is delicious and cheap dining just downstairs, would definitely come back.

We really enjoyed our stay here. We were cautious at first due to other reviews on here regarding the staff, but we had no issues at all. Kim must work her butt off because the hostel was spotless all the time. She was also friendly and helpful with any information we needed. The only problem is that the location isn't central to all the sites in Singapore but it's a 5 minute walk to the metro and it's really easy/cheap to get around. Will stay there again if in town. Thanks!

They stole our flipflops, bathroom was desgusting, the lady that checked us in was very rude. don't forget to read the little letters: you have to pay the fee for hostelworld extra on the total amount!! Pay for towels and pay for luggage storage, if you just stay one night: pay extra again... airco was not working at all, so warm in the room, wifi was very poor (couldnt even open my mails) ... Will never stay there again.

The hostel itself chose to take it upon themselves to charge us the 12% deposit fee on top of the cost of the hostel for the evening. This 12% fee was already paid to hostel world as a deposit and the hostel is misusing the system by charging us again. Setting that aside the management at the hostel was extremely rude. Each bed gets free usage to one assigned security box. But because we booked two beds with one payment we would be charged an extra fee to get to use the second allocated box.

• 26th Jul 2014

a good place to stay!thank you Ms.kim . You've done a good job

Really I never go there again. Receptionist lady dont know how respect peoople talk too high and make big noise, fight with anyone ask sbout anything. Hole day living hall no air condition. No fan really toooo hot living hall . Rooms no fan no air condition, only air conditioning in room start in 7 pm to 9 am and whole daytime rooms too hot cant stay One I was been there , one lady lost her shoes.any receptionist lady no take care no talk nice to her Hostel too far ,.just one way transport

The receptionist/cleaner called Kim is extremely rude. She even threatened to call the police and kick me out because... she gaveme a wrong key and changing it was too much hassle for her. Next morning she wouldn't give back my passport untill I paid double because... I kept my clothes on a spare bed over night. Unless you have nervers to deal with mentals go for one of the other cheap hostels, especially when considering it's poor location.

I stayed in Empire Hostel for 2 weeks and 2 days. The dorm felt like home to me. I never had a problem with the manager Kim. I know there's a lot of guests who didn't like her though. Just don't get on Kim's nerves and you will be fine. Make sure you read and obey to all the signs on the walls. Kim may not be the kind of host you want but hey, if all you need is a clean and safe place to stay for a reasonable price . . . I highly recommend Empire Hostel.

The attitude of the woman who runs this hostel is very bad. She complained to me many times about how much work it is when people only stay 1 nite and that she doesn't like it & she charges extra for it. That is not professional. This is the business she is in! She interrupted me when about to take a nap telling me to change rooms "NOW". Then when I came out of the shower she made me give my key back "NOW!". WOKE ME UP to tell me check out in 2 hours. WOW. Terrible. Appreciate your guests!

They should have the electric fans working since they turn off A/C during the day.

Thanks for everything Kim, really enjoyed our stay :)

Kim is nice and accomodating. Maybe u can provide water dispenser for free.

• 6th Jul 2014