Empire Hostel Reviews

41 Opal Crescent Level 2 Unit, Singapore, Singapore

one of the worst hostel I ever been to.... top three terrible hostel because of the staff attitude. Been to 150 hostels so far and this one is terrible!

overall facilities were good.but staff is not very friendly.We expect a better customer service from Singapore comparing to other countries since it is a well developed country.But hostel is worth for the cheaper fare.it was not that bad as it was mentioned in trip advisor site comments.I think the mentioned Indian staff is not there anymore.Overall good hostel but it would be great with some friendly staff.

• 2nd Nov 2014
  • Sri Lanka

Ms. Kim is very polite, responsible and informative. She's Diligent and friendly as well. Everyday she do cleaning all the areas.

• 30th Oct 2014
  • Philippines

Don't know why everyone here complains about staff. She is one of the most friendly hostelstaff I've ever met, super caring and helping no Matter what's wrong, Tho rooms are clean and with aircon, so super nice. Takes 5-10 minutes to mrt and then directly to the center. Know it's importent for many people so I mention that ther wifi there is the best I've ever experienced, Would sure come back to that nice place.

Not too central but 5-10 min walk to mrt station. Good for just sleeping if on budget, not meeting people

Overall, empire hostel is nice, it's clean, and comfortable, the lady who watch there ms. Kim, is a nice lady, at first probably you'll consider she as a "grumpy lady", but actually she is a nice person, don't judge people by its cover, just one annoying thing, I don't know the reason why they put, something like yellow stone in the middle of the closet, it's annoying, and little disgusting, please replace the closet with the new one, overall, nice

Cheap and its what you should get.. Fair

Kim, owner of the hostel and one of the most annoying people I ever met. Very unfriendly. If she is not vacuuming at 7 am in your room, she screams at you, that you have to tidy up everything and ask every 5 minutes the same question. There is no couch in the living room, so social life there is a little difficult. The beds are very comfortable, but that's the only good thing. You have to book online, otherwise you pay the doubble price.

• 2nd Oct 2014

I really enjoyed my stay here. Kim made me feel so welcome and relaxed. She also made my visit to Singapore very stress free. The hostel is basic but kept clean. It's also only a 5min walk to Potong Pasir MRT Station so it is fairly easy to get around. My stay here was very pleasant and cheap to stay.

• 24th Sep 2014
  • Scotland

Great Beds, although not the friendliest of staff, very efficient though and amazing value!

Many reviews mention that the manager was unfriendly. Yes, she might appear a bit harsh at the first glance but she is a good and kindhearted person, friendly + very helpful! Besides, the place was one the cleanest guesthouses I have ever stayed at and unlike many other hostels in South East Asia, there were some kitchen facilities. Unfortunately it is a bit out of town so you have to take the bus or mrt everywhere, but the station is pretty close and, yes, the price is unbeatable for Singapore.

The lady who is manager is very arrogant n very bad experiences. She hates indians.pl.indians beware of going to empire hostel in opal crescent.very bad lady

The best place to stay on a budget in Singapore. You will meet lots of different people here. The staff is very nice and helpful. Just be friendly and respectful and you will have a great stay and enjoy Singapore!

• 6th Sep 2014

The lady is quite rude but the place is ok, quite clean. She asks 30USD for key deposit. Really cheap for what you get! A good occasion! I'd advice it

Manager so rude with everybody!! Even if it was a castle she can ruin your stay!!! Only ways to get the hostel are mtr or cab!! No shuttle from the airport (because is too far) and no pick up from the hostel as show on website!!!

not bad. Meet diff culture people here

• 2nd Aug 2014
  • Malaysia

I was a little sceptical about booking here after reading the other reviews, but I'm very glad I did! Kim is a very nice, helpful and considerate person. You just have to respect her and her rules. It's easy to connect to central locations, and there is delicious and cheap dining just downstairs, would definitely come back.

We really enjoyed our stay here. We were cautious at first due to other reviews on here regarding the staff, but we had no issues at all. Kim must work her butt off because the hostel was spotless all the time. She was also friendly and helpful with any information we needed. The only problem is that the location isn't central to all the sites in Singapore but it's a 5 minute walk to the metro and it's really easy/cheap to get around. Will stay there again if in town. Thanks!

They stole our flipflops, bathroom was desgusting, the lady that checked us in was very rude. don't forget to read the little letters: you have to pay the fee for hostelworld extra on the total amount!! Pay for towels and pay for luggage storage, if you just stay one night: pay extra again... airco was not working at all, so warm in the room, wifi was very poor (couldnt even open my mails) ... Will never stay there again.

The hostel itself chose to take it upon themselves to charge us the 12% deposit fee on top of the cost of the hostel for the evening. This 12% fee was already paid to hostel world as a deposit and the hostel is misusing the system by charging us again. Setting that aside the management at the hostel was extremely rude. Each bed gets free usage to one assigned security box. But because we booked two beds with one payment we would be charged an extra fee to get to use the second allocated box.

• 26th Jul 2014