Fabulous 148 Total Reviews
Fabulous 148 Total Reviews
Empire Hotel Backpackers Located at 13 Thames Street Oamaru, , Oamaru.
New Zealand
Oamaru 9400 13 Thames Street Oamaru
86% 148
-45.1011536 170.9697532
    Rooms available

22nd Apr 2016

Make sure you check out the basement...!

• England, Female, 25-30
16th Apr 2016

Amazing location for exploring Oamaru. The girl on reception was really lovely and helpful. The hostel itself was kind of quirky and very clean. Only bad thing was the lack of plug sockets in our room, and there's no music in the common areas, but I got told off by an older lady who I think worked there for playing my iPad in the kitchen! I would recommend it!

16th Apr 2016

So far in NZ, this backpacker and Oamaru have been the surprise of my trip. The town has some great architecture and the hostel is brilliant. Facilities clean, old fashioned but in a good way and nice atmosphere. Locations is good as well

• USA, Female, 41+
25th Mar 2016
2.0

I cannot give the hostel itself a rating as our reservation (which was pre-booked online weeks before our anticipated stay) was MISHANDLED; when we arrived in Oamaru, we found that our 2 rooms for one night was changed by the manager to 1 room for two nights. The remainder of their rooms were occupied, and they were unable to accommodate our family of four. We had to find other accommodations on our own. I would never book with this hostel again.

• England, Female, 18-24
25th Mar 2016
7.4

The receptionist was the rudest I've come across in NZ, she also told us that the blue penguins can be seen for free after 9pm at the penguin colony but that's not true. Pretty standard hostel if a bit dated. Plenty of hot water bottles around for when it gets cold.

• England, Female, 25-30
21st Mar 2016

Great hostel, almost like a home! Located centrally and only a ten minute walk (if that) to the bus stop. Staff really nice and will hold your bags for the day until your bus. The only thing I'd say is they charge extra if you'd like to hang around after checkout on your last day. Most hostels I've come across this hasn't been needed and given how nice and quiet the hostel is it would be nice to hang around a little longer before the bus, especially as the wifi is so good! Staff lovely!

• USA, Mixed Group, 25-30
20th Mar 2016

Empire had a good location. The staff were friendly. Good place to stay in Oamaru. I would recommend the put there sign down so you can see in going both ways on the walk. You can't see the sign coming from the bus stop.

1st Mar 2016
7.7

The hostel was alright, pretty clean, comfy bed, nice staff. I stayed for 1 night and I was the only person in my room (no functioning power sockets in it). Two small kitchens, nice lounge area, limited free wireless internet. They could have more toilets, but there were few people, so it wasn't a problem.

21st Feb 2016
8.0

Mandy and mike are great!!! enough said.

• Taiwan, Mixed Group, 31-40
9th Feb 2016

We were happy the night we spent in Empire Hotel Backerpackers. The host was warm to us and showed the facilities and our room clearly. The only flaw was the blunt knifes in kitchens