Empress Hotel Reviews

1317 Ursuline Ave, New Orleans, LA 70116, New Orleans, USA

The staff was great and helpful....

First night we spent there, there was no water at all in the shower, we reported it when we got back they had removed all our belongings and didn't tell us or the staff on duty, we walked into the room, they put us in another room , We woke up the second morning to the smell of cigarettes we found cigarettes buts on the floor, 3rd day we had belongings missing from the room, staff didn't seem to care, when reporting it there was a guy arguing with the lady on reception apparently if you have l

I don't recommend this hostel.

This was the most horrible, disgusting, dirty place I have ever been in. Very unorganised, unprofessional and very very very poor value for money.

• 5th Apr 2014

Dirty, broken walls, peeling paint, defect shower, water dripping from the ceiling, insecure door. Cheap, but not even worth the money.

• 28th Mar 2014

Due to a convention taking place, everywhere central was fully booked. We could have found a hotel several miles out, but the most important thing to us was to stay somewhere clean and conveniently situated. With some trepidation we booked the Empress, which is only 15 minutes' walk from Bourbon Street. We thought the reception staff were very efficient and friendly. The only problem for us was the complete lack of storage facilities. However, it was definitely worth what we paid.

• 12th Mar 2014

The hotel building is very old that needs some serious repairment. The hotel room is very small and dirty, esp. bathroom. The bathtub drain is always clogged. We stayed in this place, regrettably, only for its proximity to the french quarter. I would not recommend this place.

• 26th Feb 2014

they were patching up the ceiling when we got to our room.. we left and came back to a huge roach still alive on its back on the middle of the floor.. the room conditions are horrible.. staff were very nice.. as for dropping the key off when we leave.. that was weird because half the time we asked for our key back they didnt ask for id or anything.. location is pretty good.. pubic hair was found in tub and towels..

• 14th Feb 2014

You get what you pay for. Pretty cruddy facilities, but excellent location no more than 5 minute walk off Bourbon Street. Keep your head on a swivel during late night hours, poorly lit streets and no law enforcement presence.

The room smelled horrible. Only Paychos, and crack addicts stay there. I stayed for 10minutes and checked out. I did not get my money back. DO NOT STAY THERE!!! Not safe.

• 29th Oct 2013
  • Mexico

Do not expect anything fancy or luxurious there, it is just a basic place to sleep and take care of your hygenie, but the staff was nice, it's very close to the Quarter (althogh not in it, but Bourbon street is less than 10min walk; I did it multiple times at night and never felt that the way would be dangereous) and it's for a very good price. I'd stay there again. Recommended :)

The odor hit me first when entering the front door. The room was a tiny box with a hole cut out of the wall and a mini-airconditioner duct taped into it. The folks staying there were people who worked day to day and lived on the premises, not the expected hostel population. Location was pretty far from the french quarter area. Definitely not what I expected. I immediately asked for a refund and left.

• 6th Sep 2013

Too expensive for the quality of the hotel. The cealing of the room was damaged and almost falling down, The rug was dirty. Good and safe location, the staff was nice. I appreciated the silence during the night.

• 25th May 2013

Forget about all of your commitments back home and let go in the this social surroundings of this weekend residence. This is not a second home, but a crashpad; vibrant on the outside yet quiet inside the comfort of your room. Enjoy the friendly company on the spacious balcony before you experience the indulgences South of Rampart Street. Points of suggestion: Low maintainence Bathe in sandals. Towels and linens are clean. No fridge, use sink as icebox. Easy going crowd will adore!

• 24th Apr 2013

Staff was great, I have no complaints!

• 7th Apr 2013

I stayed here last summer with my boyfriend- a little run down, but fairly clean, good price and location, which was fine because we were there to see the city, not the hotel. This time the room was horrendous--titles falling off the bathroom walls, roaches and the room smelled awful--the stench almost made me throw up 5 secs after entering. There was a puddle of water on the bathroom floor and the room was filthy. The staff handed us an extra towel for the leak and air freshener for the smell.

• 8th Mar 2013

would not accept booking charged us $30 extra.room were small and filthy.shower good,1 threadbare bath towel for me and my wife.none the next day.very unsafe lock on door did not feel safe.cigarette burn holes in sheets,outlined in blue pen.if icould have found another hotel would have noy stayed for second night.no facilities,i would not stay here if they offered me money to stay for one night.absolutely disgusted that they can advertise this dump as a hotel.

• 10th Nov 2012

Staff was great. The rooms need a little TLC. the sheets were old with burns in them and the towel I was issued was thread bare. The matress was also quite old and stained. The hotel location was great. In walking distance to everything I needed. I enjoyed my trip. I did however shower with my shoes on. And you need to bring your own shampoo.

• 9th Nov 2012

Not very clean, sink did not work, changed sheets every other day. no shampoo or phone; tiles falling off in bathroom, mattress is very old. Front desk is friendly and it's not too far from the quarter, and it's cheap, But definitely not close to a chain hotel. Expect no frills.

It's a decent place to stay. Having read some of the bad reviews I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived! Staff were cool and helpful. Room was decent, and it has WiFi. Really liked the location.

• 12th Oct 2012