Encore Express Hotel/Hostel Reviews

1353 Bush Street, San Francisco CA, San Francisco, USA

A clean private room with a double bed and free wifi = a great deal. Bathrooms are shared, but they're separate rooms with locking doors, not stalls. Primary problem was the music practice rooms downstairs. Band practice was supposed to stop at 11 pm (according to the front desk guy for the hotel) but really they just turned the bass down and kept going. It's about 1.5 flights of stairs up to the main office from the street. There's also no AC - fine for March but would suck in summer.

Sharing bathroom with other rooms is a little inconvenient. But the price for a private double room is relatively low.

Only two bathrooms were available to take showers in so that was quite a bother but for the two nights we were there, the hostel was just what we needed. The location of the hostel is the best part.

• 14th Mar 2015

Great stay overall! Very friendly manager, older but clean facility, kinda noisy from the practice rooms that share the building. (People from outside can just follow you in and you can't tell if they are there for the hostel, the music rooms, or neither. It never posed a threat to my partner and I, but if I was a lady traveling alone and had people hanging outside at all hours for the music space, it may have caused more anxiety.) I'd stay here again, however. Great value.

The room was very comfortable; maybe adding a reading lamp or two would be good. (Harder to read in lower bunk, less light....) Fridge and sink in rooms are really helpful! Good amount of closet and drawer space.

Situated on the edge of the Tenderloin neighborhood, coming and going is a bit unpleasant, but not dangerous. I saw numerous women walking. The Encore Express itself shows a few signs of wear, but is very clean, and the staff cheerful and helpful. No kitchen (there is a small fridge in the room, and one shared microwave). The small shared baths are distributed around the floor. The basement (two stories down) houses musical rehearsal rooms, and music filters up through, but stops at 11pm.

Good showers/bathrooms. Room was pretty clean. Found out that smoking isn't allowed...

• 5th Mar 2015

Room was clean. Manager was nice. Only problem was my room booked and paid here was not available when I arrived at the hostel due to hostel's system problem. Was moved to another type of room and charged for that room without any discount or refund.

• 19th Feb 2015
  • China

Great stay overall! There were two showers on the second floor where my room was. During the more busy hours of 9am onwards it can be difficult to get your turn with the shower, so I would recommend getting up early if possible to have the bathroom all to yourself. The card given to me by the hotel stopped working on two occasions, so I got it reflashed by the staff.

Really nice to have a fridge in the room; would be great if possible to add a small kitchen facility!

Only hostel I've seen that is continuously cleaning to make it feel more like a hotel the hostel!!! Great service and people. Def coming back when in SF! Loved my stay Oscar

• 1st Feb 2015

The hostel is on a good location. building and rooms are old but kept sufficiently clean. manager is very helpful.

Honestly this place is the best Hostel experience I've ever had. It's really close to all the major locations in San Francisco and the staff keeps it really well maintained. Free use of computers to find your way around SF, need I say more?

You have to stay here. It's Victorian living makes you feel like you're home.

I think that your hostel's bedclothes is so dirty.

• 31st Dec 2014
  • South Korea

Realy a good simple place not too expansive.

• 21st Dec 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at the encore Hotel/hostel. It is very clean and it seems as if the staff takes great care of the entire Hotel. Additionally, the locationis great! I would definitely stay there again!

Excellent

Very, very centric hotel, and very clean. Stay away if you want to socialise (there's no kitchen or social spaces here, tho you have fridge in your room). What got me is that is very quiet despite being in the city centre. I will recommend 100%!!

• 9th Nov 2014
  • Spain

Plans changed, and cancelled stay without any issues, so good customer service.

• 28th Oct 2014