Encore Express Hotel/Hostel Reviews

1353 Bush Street, San Francisco CA, San Francisco, USA

This is more a hotel than a hostel in the fact that there are no communal areas and for a shared dorm it is pricey. However, it was a nice place to crash for the night with spacious rooms and clean facilities. The staff were super friendly, especially the guy working at reception throughout the day!

Really great place. Nice and central location.

• 17th Aug 2015

Our car got the window broken during the night when parked just in front! We were luck there was noting inside. Good beds, clean restrooms.

Bathrooms were not clean & not enough of them. No employees were there after 5pm. So couldn't speak to anyone. Last minute place to stay if you're desperate and it's expensive for what it is.

It is more a hotel with very low standards that has dorm rooms. It is pretty noisy and had only two showers on my floor. That meant waiting for alot of people. The value for money is poor. All in all it is kind of an expensive accommodation without anything to offer but a bed to sleep in.

Nice hostel that is close to all of the sights/sounds of SF, however just on the outside of the Tenderloin area. Doesn't have to social room other hostels have so meeting people outside of your room can difficult. Front desk was very helpful in pointing out areas to go visit. The shuttle ride to the airport(service offered by a company the hostel works with?) on my last day reminded me of a taxi ride in Mexico, other passengers were a little scared

• 6th Aug 2015

Good hostel, there are double beds in dorms if you get lucky. Rooms are great, bedding mattress and bunks. Shower is good pressure and warm, only one on the floor I was on (not so good). Quality place for the money.

nice room, need more showers and toilets

I found my self sleeping on the street because they would not answer the door or the bell after 11pm

• 21st Jul 2015

Parking options need to be provided for guests with cars. We parked on the street. If you stay here and have a car, make sure EVERYTHING, is stored in a trunk out of site, or take all of your items in with you. Hostel staff and local police will not be sympathetic or very helpful if your car does get broken into. If we would not have had a car, I think our experience would have been great! It's a good place to stay if you are looking for a quiet, low key atmosphere.

• 19th Jul 2015

Nice place, can't complain about anything. Nice soft double mattress in the dorm room. Quiet enough after the band downstairs stopped playing at around 11pm.

Extremely small place, two 5 showers for 2 floors.

This place is fine. Cannot complain. The free coffee is nice. As is the free hand sanitiser and filtered water. Rooms can be a little stuffy, but it is an old building and to be expected. I did dislike having to swipe my card every time I went to the toilet though; pointless. Included soap and shampoo was a nice little treat for a backpacker. Stocked up on those! Just kidding.

WiFi in room was terrible...couldn't get a stable connection. Upon check-in, nobody was in hostel to open door for us because they stepped out to grab something...leaving a note would have been courteous. 3 shared washrooms per floor is not enough

Overall I enjoyed the stay at this location, and will consider staying there again in the future. The person working the check-in desk was cordial, as well as the housekeepers. My only suggestion is that there be a noise curfew enforced, as the people in the neighboring room were very loud late at night when the office was closed. We probably could've knocked on their door, but you never know who is going to answer.

• 4th Jul 2015

I liked it. I stayed in a dorm and it was comfortable. I was in SF for vacation, others were there looking for work. Good place if you want something different from the usual youth hostel experience and want to encounter a less homogeneous crowd. Or not, it's not neceserily a social place, works if you want privacy and to get an experience similair to that of an hotel for less money.

• 4th Jul 2015
  • Sweden

Pros: Cheap Stay for 1 night, Safe, Good enough to sleep, mostly empty CONS: Smelly rooms & carpet, 1 shower only for the entire upstairs hostel, Out of 3 staff i delt with 2 were 'ok' and one guy was less than ok, short answers, no smiles, no enthusism to help, it was obvious that the managment of this place is not being kind to their employees. Next time i will pay more and stay at a nicer place, I also got sick after getting back from my trip and i suspect i got it from the smelly room.

• 28th Jun 2015

It was clean and clerk was very helpful.

• 26th Jun 2015

The hostel is well worth the money. The reception could do a better job in explaining about smaller things like, how often they change the towels, that coffee is included and where to find it, where to do laundry if necessary and where to get washing powder, if anything else is included, or what happens in the basement (bands playing). I wasn't informed about any of these things. These are minor things since I found out by myself but it would have been nice to know. Staff was friendly though!

This place needs direction, its currently trying to be a hotel hostel but is actually neither. There is no common area where guests can relax, the décor is old and the place is falling apart. Until they clean up their act I suggest staying at USA Hostels or HI International.

« first « Prev 1 2 3