Encore Express Hotel/Hostel Reviews

1353 Bush Street, San Francisco CA, San Francisco, USA

Overall good stay.

Looks very dodgy from the outside as is currently going through a lot of building work, but inside is smart and all the rooms and bathrooms are clean and tidy. Even include a sink and mini fridge! Very good value for money and only a 15 min walk from Union Square. Booked it last minute but don't regret it at all.

I only stayed one night so it was fine, but what I can only complain about is the RECEPTIONIST, I don't know how long has this person doing his job as a receptionist, but he wasn't really qualified for this position. I am not sure if that's just me or some other people had this experiences as well, he just didn't really bother himself to introduce MORE about this hostel, seriously, I don't even know what time do they do check out...

• 22nd Aug 2014
  • Taiwan

We had a lot of electrical problems (only 2 functioning power outlets, fridge wasn't working, neither gas stove or oven or microwave) and it took them 4 days to fix it. There's no common area, so for people travelling alone it isn't great for meeting people, and also its right near a pretty bad neighbourhood. It wasn't terrible, but I wouldn't stay there again.

• 17th Aug 2014

A lot of previous reviews complain about the noise. My room was on the 2nd floor (the music studio is in the basement) and the noise was not an issue. And it did stop promptly at 11:15.The staff was very helpful and the facilities were extremely clean. The major downside, as others have mentioned, is that there isn't a communal area to meet the other travelers. Re: security, it was a non-issue -- there are homeless people around, but that's just how it is in San Fran, and it's not dangerous.

Nice hostel. The private rooms almost look like hotel rooms, while the dorms include a kitchen area. A bit noisy till 11PM because there is a music studio just below the hotel though.

Clean place needs more hostel space (co-ed) be very helpfully Gral areas do not exist but looks like they are working on these.......

They lost my bag with my ipad in the luggage storage. At the end they give me money, but not enough to buy my ipad. They have not kitchen. The room are ok, but my experience had been bad.

My Samsung tablet was taken from the room along with a few of my other possessions, all of which I found in the outside garbage bins -except my tablet. I approached the manager who was reluctant to help and after avoiding my request to see the surveillance footage she confessed she didn't know how to replay it. She has not replied to any of my email queries since leaving the hostel. I would have liked to have given better feedback but under the circumstances I cannot recommend anyone stay here

There is a music studio in the Hostel basement and they play very loud music until 11 pm. Otherwise a OK hostel.

I usually don't write reviews but I'm doing so to help prevent the experience I had with this hostel. I booked my first night in San Francisco here because other hostels in better location were all rented out. DO NOT PARK ON THE STREET, and if so DO NOT leave anything visible in your car. It was impossible for me with an SUV with many belongings taken on a roadtrip. I only learned later how bad this location is with homeless everywhere. And the stairway in the hostel smelled like urine...

Nice spot in a fairly safe neighbourhood. Nice bathrooms & handy cheap laundry ($2 per wash or dry). Plenty of good pubs restaurants around. 1 guy at the desk really needs to work on his customer service skills however.. Not that he was rude, he just needs to be aware that it is him leading the check in/out process not us lol.. and speak up ffs!

Ignore any comments about this being the worst hostel in the world etc. Excellent location (it's a city so common sense is needed) extremely well decorated rooms which are cleaned daily, solid wifi and good security. More of a hotel than a hostel so think again if you want a common room/kitchen etc. We were on the upper floor and out much of the time, the music room noise was not an issue for us. I do agree that more toilets/showers ARE definitely required but we had no problems.

Not able to relax because of loud music! My main grievance with this place is that we constantly heard music all day long well past 11 p.m. because the hostel shares building space with a music studio that bands use to practice. When I say bands I mean drumms, electric guitars, and everything else. Loud! You can hear them from the rooms and from the hallways. Impossible to escape. Bring ear plugs if you're staying here. Bathrooms and showers were limited and some were closed.

• 4th Jun 2014

It is an okay place if you are staying for one or two nights and spending all day out exploring because you wouldn't want to be inside the hostel for long. Inside the room was not too bad but once I stepped out there is nothing that feels okay, even the toilets, though looks clean, wasn't pleasant. Again, it is alright if you just want somewhere cheap and safe to have your stuff while you go touring the city.

there was loud music most of the time in our room, I would say it was still acceptable except for tuesday evening (27.5) when it was very very loud music. if this band could change their rehearsal time in order to stop 30 min earlier (or turn down the volume quite a bit!) I think that would really be nice for the future guests in room 117.

Even though I had booking, but could not stay at this PALACE, because the her majesty manager said that they accept only credit card, which i did not take with myself. It is understandable, but there was no prior notice on this issue. The staff is rude. Not recommended

• 25th May 2014
  • Azerbaijan

Average hotel. The staff was extremely unfriendly.

Our door wouldnt shut properly because of the gap that wasnt fix well on the floor, when we went to tell the reception they say they would come to fix it but never came. So we always had to leave the door 'open' when we where sleeping or out. Otherwise, really comfy double bed in dorm, kitchen in the dorm really clean, really enjoy my stay except for the high price.

I felt very insecure in this hostel. I was sleeping in a 6 bed- all female- dorm. The room could hardly be closed and the lockers were tiny. It is also very easy to enter in the "Hostel" for non-customers. Same for the "luggage room", there is no verification when we take back our luggage. All of that made me feel very insecure during my stay. I would recommend the hostel to improve their security first, by not-so-expensive means. (For example use tags for the luggage room, put bigger lockers)

• 17th May 2014