Encore Express Hotel/Hostel Reviews

1353 Bush Street, San Francisco CA, San Francisco, USA

Very, very centric hotel, and very clean. Stay away if you want to socialise (there's no kitchen or social spaces here, tho you have fridge in your room). What got me is that is very quiet despite being in the city centre. I will recommend 100%!!

• 9th Nov 2014
  • Spain

Overall very clean. I love how there's a sink in the room along with clean towels and blankets.

The staff was okay, they didn't talk very much or were real talkative, but they were okay.

Great place for the value. However it does not have the hostel feel as there is no common area to meet other people easily. Rooms are cramped, but at least the staff cleans it everyday.

I was in a 4-bed dorm. This was like a regular hotel room, so small (there were bunks) but quite secure. Also locked storage for luggage. The lower floor is devoted to music practice rooms, complete with drum sets and sound systems (free for guests if you want a place to practice!). The location is great -- walking distance to downtown, Chinatown, Van Ness, cable cars etc. There is no lobby or common area, and bags have to be carried up stairs, but staff are very willing to help.

• 8th Oct 2014

I loved the hostel! The bathroom was clean in the evening when I was taking a shower, but some people are quite messy so it could be dirty in the morning. Otherwise, great!

• 2nd Oct 2014
  • Slovenia

Not a hostel - a hotel with dorm rooms. Do stay here if you want a cheap hotel in a good location, do not if you want to socialise in a hostel environment,

So the staff were less than helpful in terms of their general attitude/hospitality. They seemed much more bothered on what they were distracting themselves with than their actual job. The hostel (more like hotel but not in a good way) was clean but I would say dingy and dated. The location for polk street which is quite lively is excellent, but you can easily wonder into the tenderloin. I moved to HI Downtown hostel- it's definitely worth the extra $15 a night.

Overall, a nice hostel. I had an issue with my key not working at 2am and front desk closes at 11pm and doesn't open until 9am. But other than that, my stat was nice.

Staff attitude was poor most of the time. Unwelcoming and distant. The security is good, but the facilities make it hard to interact with anyone, in addition to the poor wifi despite the advertisement. The bed was uncomfortable and squeaked a lot. It was a decent hostel, but I've had much better experiences at cheaper places. For what it's charged, I would not suggest it to anyone or consider coming back.

• 19th Sep 2014
  • Mexico

Very clean, nice and cozy. There are homeless people on the streets but if you get used to ignoring them it's ok. Make sure to bring a locker with you to lock your personal stuff in the storage places in every room. It is worth the money

• 15th Sep 2014
  • Bulgaria

the only big problem with that hostel in my opinion is that sometimes when we arrive there is no staff avaible to answer the door so we stay there waiting outisde without having a clue of whu nobody answers the door when we ring.

Overall good stay.

Looks very dodgy from the outside as is currently going through a lot of building work, but inside is smart and all the rooms and bathrooms are clean and tidy. Even include a sink and mini fridge! Very good value for money and only a 15 min walk from Union Square. Booked it last minute but don't regret it at all.

I only stayed one night so it was fine, but what I can only complain about is the RECEPTIONIST, I don't know how long has this person doing his job as a receptionist, but he wasn't really qualified for this position. I am not sure if that's just me or some other people had this experiences as well, he just didn't really bother himself to introduce MORE about this hostel, seriously, I don't even know what time do they do check out...

• 22nd Aug 2014
  • Taiwan

We had a lot of electrical problems (only 2 functioning power outlets, fridge wasn't working, neither gas stove or oven or microwave) and it took them 4 days to fix it. There's no common area, so for people travelling alone it isn't great for meeting people, and also its right near a pretty bad neighbourhood. It wasn't terrible, but I wouldn't stay there again.

• 17th Aug 2014

A lot of previous reviews complain about the noise. My room was on the 2nd floor (the music studio is in the basement) and the noise was not an issue. And it did stop promptly at 11:15.The staff was very helpful and the facilities were extremely clean. The major downside, as others have mentioned, is that there isn't a communal area to meet the other travelers. Re: security, it was a non-issue -- there are homeless people around, but that's just how it is in San Fran, and it's not dangerous.

Nice hostel. The private rooms almost look like hotel rooms, while the dorms include a kitchen area. A bit noisy till 11PM because there is a music studio just below the hotel though.

Clean place needs more hostel space (co-ed) be very helpfully Gral areas do not exist but looks like they are working on these.......

They lost my bag with my ipad in the luggage storage. At the end they give me money, but not enough to buy my ipad. They have not kitchen. The room are ok, but my experience had been bad.

View all San Francisco Hostels