Encore Express Hotel/Hostel Reviews

1353 Bush Street, San Francisco CA, San Francisco, USA

Overall it was good. They have a band studio below but they stop by 11 pm...overall pretty quiet. Easy walk to VanNess and you can jump on a bus right down to Fisherman's Wharf.. I will stay there again.

• 18th Jan 2014

Really good deal, downtown. The room could be more isolated (we heard everything that happened in our neighboor's room) but it was clean and comfortable.

Clean and friendly, Union Square in walking distance, affordable parking garage(s) around. Great stay!

My stay in this hostel was very poor. I didn't accept it like this but the staff was not very friendly and they didn't give me the feeling that I was there welcome. My room was more or less clean but it smelled but I think this is because the whole hostel is very old. I was happy to leave it after two nights.

• 6th Jan 2014

Music practice room is located in down stair. So It's very noise sometimes. But staffs are kind.

• 2nd Jan 2014
  • South Korea

sketchy neighborhood (not Nob Hill, a few blocks away) but once inside - what a beautiful place! musical instruments on the walls, luxury bedcovers, TV in the room

I will go there again...

• 10th Dec 2013
  • Taiwan

The hotel is kept clean and the bedrooms are cleaned each day. The shared facilities are kept clean and are absolutely fine for this type of accommodation. The music noise was not an issue in my room, though I could hear it on the corridor. But if you are not spending much time there is it absolutely not a problem. It was unseasonably cold when I was there and the room was a little on the cold side for some.

• 7th Dec 2013

The hostel and the staff are excellent !! It's very clean and the staff is pleasant and helpfull. It's a bit noisy because walls are like paper and they don't have common room, too bad to meet people. They also don't have kitchen...

This is old-fashioned hotel. Do not expect any lift - you will carry all your stuff up the narrow stairs. There is only one shared restroom per floor. Yes, they offer free coffee but only at the opening hours of the reception (like 9 am till 8 pm).

I liked those chines female staffs treatment n brien also was v fine. Ok nice sttay. I was there for my national association of realtors conference 6 to 11..but i extended for two more days. Property was ok without elevatore was prob but i had booked throughvhostleworld so i trusted it. Otherwise i couldvfetch much info abtcthe property prior to my arrival to hotel. I have idea abit next time deal i will come again. I appreciate sttaffs.music session was attack on my rest time if iwas to sleep.

• 6th Nov 2013
  • Pakistan

Incredibly noisy due to bands practising downstairs. According to the hostel, the curfew is set at 11pm, but we frequently experienced noise untill well around midnight. Absolutely terrible! Also the shared facilities are annoying and often very dirty. Good location but terrible accomodation due to the ridiculously noisy neighbours.

• 28th Oct 2013

This place is a little run down, but the price is right. The rooms were basic, but clean and tidy. Location was good, close to cafes and restaurants, walking distance to the centre. Yes, it is above a live music venue, and music plays most nights until midnight. Basically, you get what you pay for here. We enjoyed our stay though.

The phone number given in front of the door for after-hour check-ins is not working, so we were standing in the middle of the night in front of the hotel and it's not in the best neighborhood. We had no warm water in our room. It's not too bad but when we ask if that is normal all we got for an answer was that we have to run it for a few minutes. It still didn't work and it is such a waste of water. The staff in the office was nice but totally overextended, so the service was poor.

• 21st Oct 2013

Small 4 bed room, comfy.

I slept in the 8 bed female dorm. beds, linens, excellent. toilet keeps gurgling- the flapper needs to be renewed. no common area-as at the entrance- to meet and share. only in the dorm. steps outside the building and curb are dirty- a bucket of water and soap per week would help. beds are assigned- I am 68 years old and in good shape and had to climb into the highest bunkbed although the lower beds were empty. silly policy.

It's a budget hotel. Though the facilities are a bit worn out, the two Chinese girl staff members are very helpful and friendly. The safety of the neighborhood is above average when considering other districts in SF.

People had their stuff (food, dishes, trash) all over the table and the kitchen. The wifi didn't really work. It was extremely hot during the night. I tried to open the window, but it was VERY difficult (room 101, the window to the fire staircase). I had the buttom bed just when you enter, and it was very annoying that I couldn't sit up in the bed, I would have to crawl in, and It was difficult to find stuff in my suitcase because I couldn't sit there.

• 24th Sep 2013
  • Denmark

The hostel was not as good as other hostels on our trip through the US. The room was not very clean and the rest of the hostel had a funny smell. However, the bathrooms were very clean compared to that. What bothered me most was the staff. Maybe it's not really representative as we were in touch with only one guy of the staff, but he was kind of arrogant and not helpful at all, I felt as if I was bothering him... Nevertheless, the location is great, It's easy to get anywhere from there.

This hostel was the perfect place to stay while in LA. A short walk to Runyon Canyon to get the most breath taking view of the city. Was in close walking distance to public transportation and a super market. I would stay here again for sure.

View all San Francisco Hostels