Encore Express Hotel/Hostel Reviews

1353 Bush Street, San Francisco CA, San Francisco, California, USA

Certainly has a lot going for it. On the whole very happy with my stay and would definitely come again.

• 25th Jun 2013

Dorm accommodation was occupied by 2 other old, *smelly* guys who were living there long term, had stuff lying around everywhere, and did not wear shirts. Would be nice if they had separate youth dorm rooms for travellers. Shower forced all the water out of the centre hole and was like a jet blast rather than a shower. No recycle bins. Had to lug my things elsewhere to recycle.

Good hotel. I had a private room with collective toilets/shower. The room was perfectly fine and clean, I loved it. The showers and toilets were good enough, but the shower water was truly cold, not heated at all. The area seemed calm, pleaseant. pretty close form japantown, also within 20-30 minutes walk from most of the interesting places of the town.

I arrived at the time I said I would arrive and had to wait more than a half hour for an employee to show up. Then I was asked to pay with a credit card. I wanted to let them run the card and pay with cash. They said no. I was so mad I walked out and did not spend the night

• 1st Jun 2013

There was not a light in the hallway restroom that the people with or myself were able to find.

A well-priced hotel for its location. Easy walk into town and near to bus stops too. Not the cleanest place we've ever stayed and the late night visit from a mouse on our last night didn't help! We would however stay there again as the price is right.

A great place - really enjoyed my stay :)

• 22nd May 2013
  • Denmark

I was satisfied with my stay in Encore Express, and I think I will most likely comeback to the hotel if I come back to San Francisco. The location is excellent, the hotel has a strong character and culture and the bed is really comfortable. However, I just recommend you to either strengthen the sound proof of the room or to have an agreement with the studio next to your place, because we were kind of disturbed by the noise coming from that studio the whole time we were there.

There is a bad/disturbing smell everywhere maybe because of the carpet. I found the hotel clean, no bugs or stuff like that I saw in other reviews. I was staying at a single room. The location is good if you take the bus/muni to other principal attractions. The neighborhood was more or less safe. At least compared to other major areas of San Francisco that were overcrowded with homeless people. That is a notice by the way! Be prepared to see a lot of them around the city.

Great value! The bedrooms were clean and nice. The bathrooms were not that great but as long as you wear flip flops yoyr fine.

• 18th May 2013

Location was great, facilities were clean (though there were only 3 shower rooms servicing the entire floor, which meant you had to get up extra early in the morning if you wanted to make sure you and your companions all showered on time).

Decent location within walking distance to union square and china town. There was a damp smell in our room and the blanket on the bed was soiled. 2 shared bathrooms per floor so sometimes there was a wait for ammenities. Overall a very cheap place to stay for a couple of nights.

• 13th May 2013

i enjoyed the comfort and cleanliness of the hotel.

• 8th May 2013
  • Ecuador

This hostel is more of a hotel. Stayed in a double, we even had our own sink and TV. Laudry facilities were good, they don't sell washing powder, though. Also the window wouldn't stay open in our room, so we had to put something in to keep it from sliding shut all the time. WiFi was great. Would definitely recommend this place, very good value for money.

its located near city center, but the streets around arent very safe many blocked sites in internet

Fairly cheap place in downtown SF, facilities were good for the price. Great privacy in room and private bathroom for a hostel.

The hostel should be described as a hotel with shared rooms. There are no common rooms and very few opportunities to socialize with other fellow travelers. The room was clean and equipped with a kitchen and had a nice bathroom. The location is not on Nob Hill, at most on the edge of Nob Hill, but really on Tenderloin, which is a favorite area for homeless and alcoholic people during the night. Stayed only one night at the hostel and would not stay again due to the neighborhood.

They should call this the "Good Karma" hostel. The vibes were outstanding and for the price, it's the best short-term lodging I've ever experienced.

• 29th Apr 2013

A bit old. But washroom is clean. Would be better if the water can be refilled promptly. No coffee making, pantry etc.

• 20th Apr 2013
  • Hong Kong

Website needs update; lockers are provided; not locks, towels are provided; not charged, shuttle service you can pay for to use in morning of your departure. The staff was very cold, they kept to themselves and interacted very little with the guests or at all, however they were very responsive when we needed something. They have guests who live there; yuck. When I arrived I had someone who was living there and took over the space of room. No common room for guests, and a dirty microwave.

• 16th Apr 2013