Encore Express Hotel/Hostel Reviews

1353 Bush Street, San Francisco CA, San Francisco, USA

It would be nice for the hostel to have a common area to hang around because the rooms are too small. It think for the size of the rooms, the cost of the night is pricy.

This is neither a hostel nor a hotel. There's no real common area or cooking facilities, but you also don't get your own bathroom. We only dealt with one staff member during our stay (but saw others around, I'm only commenting on the one we had interactions with. didn't get her name unfortunately) but she was pretty unhelpful. In the first room we were given the bed was absolutely awful, seriously it literally as hard as the floor. Thankfully we were moved. Good location, poor staff.

Hostel is very good, I would go there again. Nice rooms and location is also not bed. Only staff is very poor, nobody remembers you and except one nice man they are not kind.

Great place to stay!

Good choise if you are on a budget

• 29th Jul 2013
  • Argentina

Great location and clean rooms. My key card didn't work for the shower room, and could never find a staff member around to ask about it...not a huge deal though. Other than that i had a great stay and would recommend it to friends.

We stayed in the hospitality suite and it was amazing . Fully equipped room with very comfortable beds and linin!

This is more of a hotel but there isn't anywhere to hangout apart from in your room. It's good that there is a fridge in the rooms but the only way to heat/cook food is 1 microwave on the corridor outside reception. It is clean and the rooms are very nice. Public transport is only a couple of blocks walk. There's bands playing downstairs in evenings/night. I dunno is it like a rehersal room or something. The staff acted like they couldn't care less

stuff is suck. only one.

• 15th Jul 2013
  • China

The hostel is nice overall, but there is a serious lack of bathrooms, which implies queuing to take showers and go to the restrooms... For a big city, it is quite a good hostel, though, and the location is good.

Cheaper hostel in SF when i booked. The room is very small if you in a 6 beds dorm. You see quickly it was an hotel and not an hostel at first. By the way it's clean, near downtown. The front desk doesn't have often a smile for you, but you don't come here for the atmosphere. Value for money. Nothing more, nothing less.

Great value for the money. Staff wasn't unfriendly, but did not make much of an effort of welcoming you or even say hi when you entered. At most every other hostel I have been to we have been given great advice on where to head and what to see, this was not the case here. But again, you can't beat the price and the location is not bad.

• 1st Jul 2013
  • Sweden

I am going to have to investigate what I've been paying for at Encore express. Because what is quoted from Hostelworld and what I actually pay seem to be 2 different things. There seems to be taxes and fees in addition to the quoted price online and this is very disconcerting if not illegal. I have been using Hostelworld for over 4 Years around the world and this has never occurred before. What is the policy on hidden costs? Thank you Holdeen Cushing-murray

Stayed in a very nice Deluxe Female Dorm, whith comfortable beds AND an included kitchen and bathroom. For a dorm, quite expensive though. Staff was partly very friendly, partly rather unfriendly. Lockers for valuable goods were included in the room, too.

Just another American hotel trying to be a hostel. Sweet staff but

I did not enjoy climbing all the stairs with my heavy luggage. I did not realize this place did not have an elevator when I booked.

• 27th Jun 2013

It certainly is within walking distance from Union Square, but it also is pretty close to The tenderloin, San Francisco's most dangerous neighborhood, so I'd recommend you not to go out really late at night or be very careful. Facilities are okay, and staff is friendly, I would stay there again.

Certainly has a lot going for it. On the whole very happy with my stay and would definitely come again.

• 25th Jun 2013

Dorm accommodation was occupied by 2 other old, *smelly* guys who were living there long term, had stuff lying around everywhere, and did not wear shirts. Would be nice if they had separate youth dorm rooms for travellers. Shower forced all the water out of the centre hole and was like a jet blast rather than a shower. No recycle bins. Had to lug my things elsewhere to recycle.

Good hotel. I had a private room with collective toilets/shower. The room was perfectly fine and clean, I loved it. The showers and toilets were good enough, but the shower water was truly cold, not heated at all. The area seemed calm, pleaseant. pretty close form japantown, also within 20-30 minutes walk from most of the interesting places of the town.

View all San Francisco Hostels