Encore Express Hotel/Hostel Reviews

1353 Bush Street, San Francisco CA, San Francisco, USA

Great value for money. Area a bit rough at night, but lots of restaurants and bars and very close to California trolley bus line.

• 13th Aug 2013
  • Scotland
  • Mixed Group, 41+

This is a gem for the location and price. The true definition of value!

• 13th Aug 2013

The girl at the reception is most unsmiling and unhelpful (totally indifferent)

• 12th Aug 2013
  • Greece

This place isn't anything fancy, but it served it's purpose as a place to sleep. The only complaint I have is that our keys didn't work to get into our room but luckily other people also stayed in our room and were able to open the room door. In fact everyone who was staying the room had their keys not work.

Very poor hostel. Arrived on first night having told them that we will be late, only to be told my booking was 'lost'. Had to find a new place at 1am. Went the next day and my booking was there, the guy who I rang just could not be bothered to find it. No apology for the stress it caused. No common room.

Mostly it was fine. Wasn't the cleanest place and a few times I had to use the shared bathroom it wasn't in a great state.

There is no real hostel atmosphere because it´s missing a common area for people to interact.

• 1st Aug 2013
  • Mexico

It would be nice for the hostel to have a common area to hang around because the rooms are too small. It think for the size of the rooms, the cost of the night is pricy.

This is neither a hostel nor a hotel. There's no real common area or cooking facilities, but you also don't get your own bathroom. We only dealt with one staff member during our stay (but saw others around, I'm only commenting on the one we had interactions with. didn't get her name unfortunately) but she was pretty unhelpful. In the first room we were given the bed was absolutely awful, seriously it literally as hard as the floor. Thankfully we were moved. Good location, poor staff.

Hostel is very good, I would go there again. Nice rooms and location is also not bed. Only staff is very poor, nobody remembers you and except one nice man they are not kind.

Great place to stay!

Good choise if you are on a budget

• 29th Jul 2013
  • Argentina

Great location and clean rooms. My key card didn't work for the shower room, and could never find a staff member around to ask about it...not a huge deal though. Other than that i had a great stay and would recommend it to friends.

We stayed in the hospitality suite and it was amazing . Fully equipped room with very comfortable beds and linin!

This is more of a hotel but there isn't anywhere to hangout apart from in your room. It's good that there is a fridge in the rooms but the only way to heat/cook food is 1 microwave on the corridor outside reception. It is clean and the rooms are very nice. Public transport is only a couple of blocks walk. There's bands playing downstairs in evenings/night. I dunno is it like a rehersal room or something. The staff acted like they couldn't care less

stuff is suck. only one.

• 15th Jul 2013
  • China

The hostel is nice overall, but there is a serious lack of bathrooms, which implies queuing to take showers and go to the restrooms... For a big city, it is quite a good hostel, though, and the location is good.

Cheaper hostel in SF when i booked. The room is very small if you in a 6 beds dorm. You see quickly it was an hotel and not an hostel at first. By the way it's clean, near downtown. The front desk doesn't have often a smile for you, but you don't come here for the atmosphere. Value for money. Nothing more, nothing less.

Great value for the money. Staff wasn't unfriendly, but did not make much of an effort of welcoming you or even say hi when you entered. At most every other hostel I have been to we have been given great advice on where to head and what to see, this was not the case here. But again, you can't beat the price and the location is not bad.

• 1st Jul 2013
  • Sweden

I am going to have to investigate what I've been paying for at Encore express. Because what is quoted from Hostelworld and what I actually pay seem to be 2 different things. There seems to be taxes and fees in addition to the quoted price online and this is very disconcerting if not illegal. I have been using Hostelworld for over 4 Years around the world and this has never occurred before. What is the policy on hidden costs? Thank you Holdeen Cushing-murray

View all San Francisco Hostels