Encore Express Hotel/Hostel Reviews

1353 Bush Street, San Francisco CA, San Francisco, USA

the only big problem with that hostel in my opinion is that sometimes when we arrive there is no staff avaible to answer the door so we stay there waiting outisde without having a clue of whu nobody answers the door when we ring.

Overall good stay.

Looks very dodgy from the outside as is currently going through a lot of building work, but inside is smart and all the rooms and bathrooms are clean and tidy. Even include a sink and mini fridge! Very good value for money and only a 15 min walk from Union Square. Booked it last minute but don't regret it at all.

I only stayed one night so it was fine, but what I can only complain about is the RECEPTIONIST, I don't know how long has this person doing his job as a receptionist, but he wasn't really qualified for this position. I am not sure if that's just me or some other people had this experiences as well, he just didn't really bother himself to introduce MORE about this hostel, seriously, I don't even know what time do they do check out...

• 22nd Aug 2014
  • Taiwan

We had a lot of electrical problems (only 2 functioning power outlets, fridge wasn't working, neither gas stove or oven or microwave) and it took them 4 days to fix it. There's no common area, so for people travelling alone it isn't great for meeting people, and also its right near a pretty bad neighbourhood. It wasn't terrible, but I wouldn't stay there again.

• 17th Aug 2014

A lot of previous reviews complain about the noise. My room was on the 2nd floor (the music studio is in the basement) and the noise was not an issue. And it did stop promptly at 11:15.The staff was very helpful and the facilities were extremely clean. The major downside, as others have mentioned, is that there isn't a communal area to meet the other travelers. Re: security, it was a non-issue -- there are homeless people around, but that's just how it is in San Fran, and it's not dangerous.

Maybe more cleaning in the shower rooms

Nice hostel. The private rooms almost look like hotel rooms, while the dorms include a kitchen area. A bit noisy till 11PM because there is a music studio just below the hotel though.

Clean place needs more hostel space (co-ed) be very helpfully Gral areas do not exist but looks like they are working on these.......

They lost my bag with my ipad in the luggage storage. At the end they give me money, but not enough to buy my ipad. They have not kitchen. The room are ok, but my experience had been bad.

My Samsung tablet was taken from the room along with a few of my other possessions, all of which I found in the outside garbage bins -except my tablet. I approached the manager who was reluctant to help and after avoiding my request to see the surveillance footage she confessed she didn't know how to replay it. She has not replied to any of my email queries since leaving the hostel. I would have liked to have given better feedback but under the circumstances I cannot recommend anyone stay here

There is a music studio in the Hostel basement and they play very loud music until 11 pm. Otherwise a OK hostel.

Nous avons été très bien reçu par Brian et son excellent service tout au long de notre séjour. Nous avions une chambre privée au 2ième étage et nous avons passé une excellente semaine. Nous avons été agréablement surpris par cette auberge dont nous n'avions pas d'attente. Bonne auberge avec un excellent service et son prix. L'auberge est très bien situé à proximité de tous les transports Muni.

• 20th Jul 2014

I usually don't write reviews but I'm doing so to help prevent the experience I had with this hostel. I booked my first night in San Francisco here because other hostels in better location were all rented out. DO NOT PARK ON THE STREET, and if so DO NOT leave anything visible in your car. It was impossible for me with an SUV with many belongings taken on a roadtrip. I only learned later how bad this location is with homeless everywhere. And the stairway in the hostel smelled like urine...

Nice spot in a fairly safe neighbourhood. Nice bathrooms & handy cheap laundry ($2 per wash or dry). Plenty of good pubs restaurants around. 1 guy at the desk really needs to work on his customer service skills however.. Not that he was rude, he just needs to be aware that it is him leading the check in/out process not us lol.. and speak up ffs!

You dont have enough money, I recomend this hostel. It was nice to tourist like me(I havd no enough money) Trust me. It was not 'really' bad place. You can try!

• 23rd Jun 2014
  • South Korea

Für mich ist es nicht wirklich ein Hotel aber als Hostel ist es gut. Leider gab es nicht so viele Duschen und in den Duschen waren oft viele Haare. Da gebe ich dem Hostel aber keine Schuld. Es gibt leider immer Leute die nicht an andere Menschen denken und sich verhalten als seien sie zu Hause. Das Hostel war sonst sauber.

Ignore any comments about this being the worst hostel in the world etc. Excellent location (it's a city so common sense is needed) extremely well decorated rooms which are cleaned daily, solid wifi and good security. More of a hotel than a hostel so think again if you want a common room/kitchen etc. We were on the upper floor and out much of the time, the music room noise was not an issue for us. I do agree that more toilets/showers ARE definitely required but we had no problems.

Not able to relax because of loud music! My main grievance with this place is that we constantly heard music all day long well past 11 p.m. because the hostel shares building space with a music studio that bands use to practice. When I say bands I mean drumms, electric guitars, and everything else. Loud! You can hear them from the rooms and from the hallways. Impossible to escape. Bring ear plugs if you're staying here. Bathrooms and showers were limited and some were closed.

• 4th Jun 2014

Buen lugar para pasar el fin de semana, el personal es atento y los cuartos son limpios. Está en la zona centro y la zona es fabulosa.

View all San Francisco Hostels