Encounters Hostel and Guest House Reviews

#89, Street 108, Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Robert was amazing! He knew a lot about the city, so if your going to find something just ask him. He's helpful as well, and sends you an email when you book. He has some posters, what the most common scams are, so according to me, the only downside about my room was that it didn't have a window.

Brilliant british owner ( he'll send you an e-mail to explain how to get to the hosteld, he'll warn you about the scams...) and his wife, fabulous cook ( yummy potato wzdges with bacon and cheese!) I was there for only one night, in a very clean and comfy 6 bed dorms. The area is great with a cool night market . Excellent service, spacious and clean bathroom... Totally recommend it :)

Robert was awesome, gave great advise and was good for a chat. Comfy beds and good aircon.

Staff very nice and friendly Helpful for advice about other destination Definetely suggest this place I would come back here if i will go again in phnom penh

• 27th Jun 2015

This is the best hostel I have stayed in the whole of Cambodia. Robert the owner is a great host, giving me directions from my bus to the hostel days before I arrived and sending me a map screen shot by email. He gave great advice on the most efficient and cheapest way to get around. The hostel noticeboard is comprehensive with lots of key information. The hostel is a ten minute walk away from the (god awful) tourist area which I liked a lot as you get to mingle with real Cambodians. Recommend!

Reasonable no frills hostel.Competitively priced but food expensive.A simple walk around a few local streets nearby

• 20th Mar 2015

Had a great time at Encounters. Staff were very helpful and happy to share their knowledge. Showers, lockers etc. worked just fine. Wifi worked like a charm, including in the dorms. Maybe the only thing missing is a dedicated room for luggage storage.

This was one of the worst hostel experiences we had in Asia. The staff was unfriendly and only tried to sell their own services without providing any info about other possibilities. When we arrived in the room there were only mattresses lying on the floor, there were no beds?! At night the wifi stopped working, the electricity turned off three times and the security they say they have was not there.. Definitely no good value for money compared to others places we've stayed at in Cambodia.

Robert strikes me as a mix of Blackadder and both of the Crystal Maze presenters, and I couldn't mean that as more of a compliment. We were immediately at home in Nomads and Encounters, our bus was a couple of hours late getting into PP and the free pickup was still waiting for us. Robert and his wife Narie (sp?) run a very tight ship, with the sheets cleaned every day etc. and I personally saw him change the air con filter. The beds are very squeaky, but clean and comfortable. 5/5

I stay there for a total of 2 nights. It's a good place not too far from the night market. Encounter and Nomad are the same hostel. Small locker are provided which make it a safe place, A/C is good. Nothing special about it.

Great hostel. Location is convenient. Neighborhood is great, far from the crazy tourist area. Right in front of a quiet little park. Near the riverside. Rooms and toilets are clean. And most of all, the people are great. I street-partied with the security guard in front of the hostel during my last night there until 4am. Awesome experience. Would definitely go back there.

Good place,good location, security etc...

Nice place to crash at night. I stayed in a windowless 6-bunk dorm, two or three floors up. The room was kept quiet and at a constant 26C, which felt like the north pole compared to the sticky air outside. Everything was clean, no bedbugs or anything like that. The only minor issue was that there weren't always enough bathrooms.

• 20th Feb 2015

Not the most cozy place I've stated at but there was nothing wrong with the hostel, they provided everything I needed. I stayed in a 4 bed dorm which was spacy, a towel was provided, i asked for an extra blanket since I was freezing during the night but then that said I should change the air-con, would have been nice with a blanket though since some people want it colder in the room than others. Free laundry if you stay 2 nights or more was awesome! The receptionist was very helpful.

Great place to stay. Nice helpful staff, individual fans, smaller bar downstairs. Just great! Would stay again!

Robert and Nary are great hosts. The location the hostel is perfect close to the markets and the riverside. This is my 2nd visit and i think it has gotten better. Robert has great knowledge of travelling in Cambodia and uses only the best Bus and Tuk-tuk services. they are many great Khmer restaurants on 108 st and the small park opposite is ideal for people watching.. I will stay here next time I am in the area for sure

This hostel is made great by Robert and his wife. Robert does indeed talk a lot, but he was always fun to listen to & full of useful tips, advice, and stories about Phnom Penh! There's a night guard so security is good, the Tuc Tuc drivers will get you everywhere you need to go and location is good within the city. It's a small hostel, so atmosphere and meeting people is easier/better. Great hostel! My only small concern was that the beds are pretty creaky at night... but nota huge deal! Thanks!

Robert and Nary were awesome! Really helpful with providing really good advice for the city and made me feel very welcome. Definitely recommended

Staff are very helpful & have great knowledge of the Cambodia tourist spots. The location is perfect. walking distance to Muslim restaurant / national museum / central market/ Maybank. very pleasant experiences for me.

• 3rd Feb 2015
  • Malaysia

Robert gave us a lot of good information which was really great, specially regarding how to be safe around the city. The place is clean, with a good location and value for money. I will recommend some improvements to the facilities, that I think can make a huge difference: individual lights and power plugs on the dorms (specially important on the dorms without windows); better bed bunks (those beds make a lot of noise, what makes it hard to have a good quality sleep); hot water on the showers.