Encounters Hostel and Guest House Reviews

#89, Street 108, Phnom Penh, Cambodia

A great little hostel. Nicely sized, a nice place to meet people. The couple that run it are very friendly and good to talk to and really make a good effort to arrange things like tours and buses. All the other guests were nice and on the whole it was a great stay. Happy to recommend.

Good cheap hostel for a stopover. Staff was very helpful. Great location next to cool stuff. Go to Viva and get the nachos.

Overall OK. Robert the owner is English (nice to have staff speak fluent English for a change). The rooms are OK. I would have enjoyed a window in our room (smelled a little musty) and the beds were super loud and creaky. Location is amazing thorough.

Clean, good location and very helpful owners. Recommended.

Only stayed here for a couple of nights. Was a great location and very nice. Robert knows his stuff about Phnom Penh and his wife is lovely. If you want a break from Asian food they serve up an amazing burger and fries.

Nice basic hostel, close to everything, friendly staff, good atmosphere. Stayed in the 7bed dorm, mosquito nets and fans for each bed (mattress on the floor - very comfy). Shared tours to popular spots easily arranged by board in reception area. I'd highly recommend to solo travellers. The upstairs bathrooms sometimes ran out of toilet paper in the morning.

The owner is a self absorbed condescending know it all. Also, I made the mistake of trying to use the kitchen. One of the staff a local girl was in in there at the time. All was going well til the owner arrived after which he scolded me for using the kitchen and then belittled his staff for allowing me to do so. Completely unnecessary. I couldn't stand him start to finish. Rooms are average, mattresses on the floor. I found a far nicer hostel on my second night in town for same price.

Lets be quite clear about this. I found you in an area that was signed Staff Only. My cleaner speaks no English and did not know what to do as you ignored her and proceeded to go through our refrigerators and cupboards as if it were your own home. In the afternoon my Laundry lady found you, presumably, looking to do your own laundry in another clearly signed staff only area. We do FREE laundry for guests. After these 2 incidents I asked to check out the next morning.

This is a standard, clean hostel. Food is nice+cheap. It is located beside the night market (which isn't great btw)+the giantibis bus centre(which is very handy). Tuk tuk drivers are readily available+the owner will give advice about where to go+how much to pay. Lockers are located in a common area, not in your dorm or private room. The showers were also cold. It lacked in atmosphere+ is little under staffed so dont be in a rush for anything! There are only matresses+fans in the larger dorms.

An excellent hostel serving as an oasis of calm in a very chaotic city. We stayed in a dorm with mattresses on the floor, each one had a fan, powerplug and net! Free pickup from bus station and free laundry was very appreciated. The owner is really knowledgeable and engaging, and eager to help but really all the staff were markedly friendly. Located within walking distance of riverside, and night and central market. Would absolutely recommend hostel.

What a great hostel! The owners are so friendly / welcoming / helpful. Felt right at home the minute we walked in. Yummy selection of food from the kitchen, price is a bargain compared to other options, no frills, convenient location for the riverside and good value tours to the sites. Not a party hostel. Would definitely recommend.

Nice place with nice staff

Amazing staff, very helpful and wanting to get to know you, I felt right at home! Very affordable dining menu and cheap drinks. Robert made it easy to book cheap day tours and other buses through this hostel. And I met some great people that I ended up touring the rest of Cambodia with! I only wished the location was a little closer to the riverside where things seemed a little more alive. Nonetheless, the riverside is a very cheap tuk tuk ride away. I would recommend staying here!

Had a good stay here, Robert is super friendly and informative; he let me know right away not to take my purse out at night due to constant theft on the streets, and you can tell he's very responsive to criticism in his past reviews. Really good budget hostel, you get your own fan as well.

We are travelling on a low budget and this hostel fits into that nicely. This hostel is cheap and cheerful. You have everything you need, it's clean, friendly and in a location not too far from the restaurants and bars. Robert is a wealth of knowledge and will do all he can to make your stay a pleasant one. He knows all the scams etc and will do his best to keep you safe. Breakfasts are damn good too! Some mosquito nets need replacing.

Hostel is run extremely well. Rooms are simple but clean and comfy. Each bed has it's own fan and mosquito net and everyone is given a secure locker. Also has a bar with cheap drinks and good food. About a 10 min walk to waterfront. Can book all bus tickets and tours and get your visa for Vietnam at the hostel. Owners of the hostel are extremely friendly and good to chat with about anything from places to visit in Cambodia to where to eat good food. Would highly recommend.

Robert was helpful for booking the excursion to the killing fields, although sometimes he was a bit condescending, making us feel like children. Also he insisted we book our bus to move on through him, but we found another company just down the road which was half the price and the nicest bus we've been on so far. Otherwise the hostel was fine, though with mattresses on the floor rather than actual beds.

Robert was amazing! He knew a lot about the city, so if your going to find something just ask him. He's helpful as well, and sends you an email when you book. He has some posters, what the most common scams are, so according to me, the only downside about my room was that it didn't have a window.

Brilliant british owner ( he'll send you an e-mail to explain how to get to the hosteld, he'll warn you about the scams...) and his wife, fabulous cook ( yummy potato wzdges with bacon and cheese!) I was there for only one night, in a very clean and comfy 6 bed dorms. The area is great with a cool night market . Excellent service, spacious and clean bathroom... Totally recommend it :)

Robert was awesome, gave great advise and was good for a chat. Comfy beds and good aircon.

Staff very nice and friendly Helpful for advice about other destination Definetely suggest this place I would come back here if i will go again in phnom penh