Encounters Hostel and Guest House Reviews

#89, Street 108, Phnom Penh, Cambodia

What a great hostel! The owners are so friendly / welcoming / helpful. Felt right at home the minute we walked in. Yummy selection of food from the kitchen, price is a bargain compared to other options, no frills, convenient location for the riverside and good value tours to the sites. Not a party hostel. Would definitely recommend.

Nice place with nice staff

Amazing staff, very helpful and wanting to get to know you, I felt right at home! Very affordable dining menu and cheap drinks. Robert made it easy to book cheap day tours and other buses through this hostel. And I met some great people that I ended up touring the rest of Cambodia with! I only wished the location was a little closer to the riverside where things seemed a little more alive. Nonetheless, the riverside is a very cheap tuk tuk ride away. I would recommend staying here!

We are travelling on a low budget and this hostel fits into that nicely. This hostel is cheap and cheerful. You have everything you need, it's clean, friendly and in a location not too far from the restaurants and bars. Robert is a wealth of knowledge and will do all he can to make your stay a pleasant one. He knows all the scams etc and will do his best to keep you safe. Breakfasts are damn good too! Some mosquito nets need replacing.

Hostel is run extremely well. Rooms are simple but clean and comfy. Each bed has it's own fan and mosquito net and everyone is given a secure locker. Also has a bar with cheap drinks and good food. About a 10 min walk to waterfront. Can book all bus tickets and tours and get your visa for Vietnam at the hostel. Owners of the hostel are extremely friendly and good to chat with about anything from places to visit in Cambodia to where to eat good food. Would highly recommend.

Robert was helpful for booking the excursion to the killing fields, although sometimes he was a bit condescending, making us feel like children. Also he insisted we book our bus to move on through him, but we found another company just down the road which was half the price and the nicest bus we've been on so far. Otherwise the hostel was fine, though with mattresses on the floor rather than actual beds.

Robert was amazing! He knew a lot about the city, so if your going to find something just ask him. He's helpful as well, and sends you an email when you book. He has some posters, what the most common scams are, so according to me, the only downside about my room was that it didn't have a window.

Brilliant british owner ( he'll send you an e-mail to explain how to get to the hosteld, he'll warn you about the scams...) and his wife, fabulous cook ( yummy potato wzdges with bacon and cheese!) I was there for only one night, in a very clean and comfy 6 bed dorms. The area is great with a cool night market . Excellent service, spacious and clean bathroom... Totally recommend it :)

Robert was awesome, gave great advise and was good for a chat. Comfy beds and good aircon.

Staff very nice and friendly Helpful for advice about other destination Definetely suggest this place I would come back here if i will go again in phnom penh

This is the best hostel I have stayed in the whole of Cambodia. Robert the owner is a great host, giving me directions from my bus to the hostel days before I arrived and sending me a map screen shot by email. He gave great advice on the most efficient and cheapest way to get around. The hostel noticeboard is comprehensive with lots of key information. The hostel is a ten minute walk away from the (god awful) tourist area which I liked a lot as you get to mingle with real Cambodians. Recommend!

Reasonable no frills hostel.Competitively priced but food expensive.A simple walk around a few local streets nearby

• 20th Mar 2015

Had a great time at Encounters. Staff were very helpful and happy to share their knowledge. Showers, lockers etc. worked just fine. Wifi worked like a charm, including in the dorms. Maybe the only thing missing is a dedicated room for luggage storage.