Equity Point New York @ Times Square Reviews

206 West 41st Street (between 7th and 8th Ave.), New York, USA

They told me via email two days before arrival in December that they were overbooked and were sending me to another hostel (Jazz on the Park). Please keep in mind I made my reservation in JUNE! The place does not have a kitchen, the showers are small, and the beds are on the small side. Also, the activities are false advertisements. It is not free to get into the clubs. Natalie (the activity girl) will play stupid and eventually disappear, so remember the way home! I didn't stay at Equity.

• 25th Dec 2012

I booked this hostel in early September to stay over Christmas. Three days before we were due to arrive they cancelled our reservation. They relocated us from Times Square, where we had a 4 bed private room in their hostel, to a single hotel room with ONE queen bed and a fold out sofa bed, in the financial district near Wall Street. Despite NUMEROUS emails and explaining to them we are four full grown adults and will not fit in the room, they did not care, and made no effort to help

• 24th Dec 2012

Great location right in Times Square, we only stayed for a night but was very impressed. Great free breakfast, friendly staff. Would recommend.

Unfortunately, we never ended up staying here. We had two bookings for around Christmas and New Years Eve. They both ended up being cancelled by Equity Point. 3 days before we were due to arrive we received an email saying that the hostel could no longer accommodate us. This then happened again for our scond booking over new years eve. We may have understood and been forgiving if they had communicated better. One month later I am still emailing them about a refund, with no replies...

We stayed here for a few days just before Christmas, and it was fantastic. There was some problem meaning we got upgraded to a private room, so it was more like a hotel than a hostel, the room quiet and private, bathroom cleaned daily, clean towels daily etc. The breakfast room downstairs was very atmospheric and a great place to meet other travellers. Only downside was no kitchen/cooking facilities. Location was excellent, central to everything, Highly recommended!

Was sad to leave. The staff were very helpful and willing to help. Great location. Thanks.

• 18th Dec 2012

I didn't get to stay here; I booked a while in advance and got an email three days before was supposed to arrive saying that the hostel was experiencing maintenance issues and my booking had been cancelled. They were good enough to suggest some other hostels but I was disappointed with the outcome. The others hostels seemed to have been chosen for proximity, not similarity of services.

The hostel is currently having to upgrade some of their older rooms, which is why there are so many comments about cancellations etc. I was lucky and was simply upgraded to a better room. It was VERY clean. The hostel is ideally located right next to Times Square, if you plan on staying to see the tourist attractions. The only downside to this is that there are no supermarkets in the area, or kitchen facilities in the hostel, so staying any more than a couple of days gets expensive.

That is very interesting that you are asking me how was my stay at Equity Point in New York. Actually it wasn't. I've made a reservation for the period of 15th to 20th of December, but less than 24 hours prior to my arrive (December 14th at night) the hostel sent me an e-mail canceling my reservation because they had some trouble to settle all their guests. I tried to contact them and Hostelword via telephone to try to get my 10% pre-paidment back, but both denied it. I was stolen!

Booked this 3 months ago and a day before I arrived ( while flying all over Europe ), they cancelled my reservation for unknown and unexpected reason. Place looks descent enough though but shame they cancelled it. Had to run and rush trying to get a new place to stay for my 5 days at NYC. Just watch out and confirm week before in case they cancel your booking.

• 15th Dec 2012

Full of character, and basically in time square! No complaints. Free breakfast.

• 15th Dec 2012

Very disappointed! I definitely would not recommend this hostel for the price. It's cool being on times square but I found the best nightlife to be in other areas like East Village which made it pointless staying here. The subway is really good anyway to be able to check out Times Square and Central Park for a few hours. Also many people got turned away while I was there, even with reservations! Something about regulators, but either way the people were not happy!!

Perfect. The owner of the place is a very helpfull person, he would always help you find the places you want, even though it is very easy to find places in NY. The staff is always told to give gests a map of NY, with all the subway lines and tourist points. I really loved it! Each room has lockers, so you can put you money, cards, cameras, computers or other things you think are too valueable to keep outside a safe place. Also, each room has its own frigobar.

The rooms are not small they are microscopic!!! The bed for two is not confortable, there's no space for the luggage ....

• 13th Dec 2012

great location. though for one night, i had a great time at Equity Point NY.

Working the heating system was a bit of a drag since it was slow to have ventilating throughout the entire room but, even with a single sheet as a blanket, it was cold. The room was spacious (and yet rather empty and plain in a sense) and clean, well-laid out for a three-bed dorm. The shower took a while to get the water heated. Was expecting a bit of soap to be provided but, ended up buying my own. Breakfast was mediocre but plentiful. Friendly staff. Very, very convenient location for transit

• 13th Dec 2012

very dissapointing! We arrived at 7am and had to wait till 2pm to check which is fine but at 2.30 we were told that we had to find new accomodation as the hoel had not passed inspection. Very dissapointing!!

It was my first stay at this hostel. Located smack dab in the center of New York city. The best spot for a place to stay since it was close to several metro stations. But the downside is, i booked for 3 nights and i don't even get the second night since everyone in the dorm asked to leave by the hostel but good thing they refund the costs. It's just a shame that we should have been staying there for 3 pleasant nights, but we don't.

• 11th Dec 2012
  • Indonesia

i hate this place!! never mine!!

Great location. Pleasant room, although a bit tight fitting everyone's bag when all four beds were filled. The ensuite was convienent & was kept clean by staff daily. If hostel arranged daily or nightly activities it would have made meeting people to share the New York experience better. Ie. HI NY I stayed at previously had fantastic activities. They also had much better rates but I pick Equity for its location on friends recommendation & definitely agree the location is superb.