Ethic Etapes Centre Européen de Séjour Calais Reviews

Avenue du Maréchal De Lattre de Tassigny, Calais, France

Exceptional hostel, probably the best I've stayed in. Little touches were what made it so enjoyable, like extra blankets stacked in the rooms in case you needed one or bedside lights attached to the beds individually for reading etc. The staff were brilliant, really friendly and helpful and there was a great atmosphere in the place. It's really well positioned for the ferry port , beach and town centre. Bravo!

• 9th Nov 2015

Stayed for Friday and Saturday night. Most of the staff were very good. Did get told off for not leaving my key at reception, even though no one told me I had to when I checked in. Didn't see any kind of kitchen for cooking yourself. Breakfast was quite standard, cereals, bread, jam, coffee and crepes, no meats or cheeses though. Rooms clean and basic. Hostel was very quiet. One very good note they allowed me to park my motorcycle in the locked back compound. All in all a pleasant stay.

While I personally enjoyed my stay in the hostel, I am concerned with the casual racism that is shown by a number of staff. For instance, two friends of mine who both are brown (British Pakistanis) were not allowed to book a room, and it was only when they presented their British passports that they were given a room. This is something that I find surprising, as anyone who are willing to pay should be allowed to book a room, regardless of nationality, race, etc.

• 17th Sep 2015
  • Indonesia

Hello Shaffira, Thank you for your comment. We want to react to your feeling of "casual racism" to which we clearly and firmly object. We have always welcomed EVERYONE from countries all over the world and with no distinction what so ever, this is part of our functionning and reason of being. We do have legal obligations to ask for a passport or ID to every person who wishes to sleep here, from there I believe comes your misunderstanding about your two friends. Best regards Pauline

A good deal, we ended up enjoying our first stay enough to book a second. Very friendly staff and decent rooms. Could do with a cooking area and a bit more choice for breakfast though. An 8 out of 10 for me

• 5th Sep 2015

This is a fine hostel to stay in Calais. It is a bit out of the centre but it is close to the ferry port and right on the beach which is lovely. The rooms are simple but clean and bright, and there are good facilities such as a pool table, a bar and a lovely little library with a great selection of books.

Very good. The room was clean, the staff were helpful and there were good facilities.

• 13th Aug 2015

Quiet but full of people. Its in a pleasant location, near the expanse of white beach. Friendly and helpful staff and a very good breakfast. One criticism the check in and check out are too restrictive, make them 2pm and 11pm respectively. Having said that they kindly let me check in on my arrival at 1pm because the room was empty the night before. I'd been in the ferry port since 5am so was delighted.