Ethic Etapes Centre Européen de Séjour Calais Reviews

Avenue du Maréchal De Lattre de Tassigny, Calais, France

Exceptional hostel, probably the best I've stayed in. Little touches were what made it so enjoyable, like extra blankets stacked in the rooms in case you needed one or bedside lights attached to the beds individually for reading etc. The staff were brilliant, really friendly and helpful and there was a great atmosphere in the place. It's really well positioned for the ferry port , beach and town centre. Bravo!

• 9th Nov 2015

Stayed for Friday and Saturday night. Most of the staff were very good. Did get told off for not leaving my key at reception, even though no one told me I had to when I checked in. Didn't see any kind of kitchen for cooking yourself. Breakfast was quite standard, cereals, bread, jam, coffee and crepes, no meats or cheeses though. Rooms clean and basic. Hostel was very quiet. One very good note they allowed me to park my motorcycle in the locked back compound. All in all a pleasant stay.

While I personally enjoyed my stay in the hostel, I am concerned with the casual racism that is shown by a number of staff. For instance, two friends of mine who both are brown (British Pakistanis) were not allowed to book a room, and it was only when they presented their British passports that they were given a room. This is something that I find surprising, as anyone who are willing to pay should be allowed to book a room, regardless of nationality, race, etc.

• 17th Sep 2015
  • Indonesia

Hello Shaffira, Thank you for your comment. We want to react to your feeling of "casual racism" to which we clearly and firmly object. We have always welcomed EVERYONE from countries all over the world and with no distinction what so ever, this is part of our functionning and reason of being. We do have legal obligations to ask for a passport or ID to every person who wishes to sleep here, from there I believe comes your misunderstanding about your two friends. Best regards Pauline

A good deal, we ended up enjoying our first stay enough to book a second. Very friendly staff and decent rooms. Could do with a cooking area and a bit more choice for breakfast though. An 8 out of 10 for me

• 5th Sep 2015

This is a fine hostel to stay in Calais. It is a bit out of the centre but it is close to the ferry port and right on the beach which is lovely. The rooms are simple but clean and bright, and there are good facilities such as a pool table, a bar and a lovely little library with a great selection of books.

Very good. The room was clean, the staff were helpful and there were good facilities.

• 13th Aug 2015

Quiet but full of people. Its in a pleasant location, near the expanse of white beach. Friendly and helpful staff and a very good breakfast. One criticism the check in and check out are too restrictive, make them 2pm and 11pm respectively. Having said that they kindly let me check in on my arrival at 1pm because the room was empty the night before. I'd been in the ferry port since 5am so was delighted.

The staff were brilliant ,not only when I arrived but when my car broke down they tried everything the get me started fortunately there were fellow guest who help me to start on my journey home , the directions to the ferry were given marked out on a map by the receptionist which was most helpful, I have used many hotels through out my life time and I do not believe I have found a more Friendly, Patient and kind people, to stay with

• 27th Jul 2015

Where the hell is this place?! There was not another living human in town. Ethnic Etapes Center was almost completely empty during my stay. The staff really did try to make it a pleasant stay. If you know French and are looking for a place to stay before/after taking the ferry across the Channel this is a good spot. Not a hostel for partying or meeting people who speak English. Very close to the beach and the ocean views were nice.

We always stop at the hostel before we set off for Europe as it is in a wonderful location and is always clean and comfortable and relaxed. Room is basic but good for a night. Location is brilliant. 100 yards from the beach and good restaurants. And parking is plentiful.

• 20th Jul 2015

Very helpful staff. Unfortunate that it took so long to find my reservation & that I had already put down a deposit.

The hostel is only a minute away Form the Beach. You can see the Beach directly from some rooms.

The place advertises as a hotel but is a very classic youth hostel indeed, only that it has more twin rooms and you don't need a membership card. Atmosphere, room and facilities are really not what you'd want for your money and breakfast is so Frenchly scanty that it's shocking - but the staff will give you a brilliant welcome, you sleep okay and you'll only walk 200 meters to the vast beach, it's beautitul!

Was a very nice hostel. A bit expensive for a hostel however. Staff were friendly and helpful. Good location to port and beaches. Limited wifi access but the beach had free wifi so wasn't an issue.

excellent hostel , very well located, with staff very kindly, room very clean, and breakfast included it's pity they have not computer for customer i recommand this youth hostel

Most friendly and welcoming, Nice quiet area and considerate guests eg quiet late at night

Very nice staff, good breakfast for a hostel.

Own room 300m from the beach with a sea view, watching car ferries go back and forth, and for less than 30 Euroes. Wonderful. But note car parking is not secure.

Very helpful staff. great location, clean with good facility's.. This hostel exceeded my expectations, I would recommend to friends and stay there again.

Real actual beds, in a hostel. Amazing. My android tablet could not connect to their WiFi. Have experienced this same problem in a few other places. Requires the IP address and other codes to be installed manually. The guy in a third world Dominican Republic hotel could do this. Seems nobody in France can do similar. Without internet, life in a foreign country, is miserable. March, few tourists so the eary silence is understandable. I am sure in July, the atmosphere will be more lively.

« first « Prev 1 2 3