Euphemia Old City Canal Zone Reviews

Fokke Simonzstraat 1-9, Amsterdam, Netherlands

1963 Total Reviews

We had a great stay at Euphemia. It is in a good area and on arrival we were given some some excellent tips on good places to eat and visit. The room was clean and comfortable. Would recommend!

• 8th Apr 2015

Came here as a single female visitor and was placed in a room with all males for a couple of nights which was not ideal, but they were very kind. The bathrooms are kept very clean, and the beds are comfortable enough. It was only one Euro to rent a towel, and the lockers are large enough to store both towel and all personal belongings. The hostel is about a 25 min walk city center, staff was sweet, especially the Spanish and British men :) would definitely recommend as a cheap alternative!

The staff was NOT pleasant and NOT polite... They don't have a customer spirit, they just want your money... Breakfast very expensive 6Euros for a kind of "English breakfast"... Cleanliness was very good in the bedroom and in Shower/Toilets. The only problem there was only one shower and toilet per floor.. that's not enough. Bedroom was all right and location as well, close to center and easy access to the Tram. But because of the staff I advise you to find somewhere else in Amsterdam...

A group of three of us decided to be brave and stay in a 10-bed hostel room - we were pleasantly surprised by the roommates that we had over the course of four days. When we first arrived, the evening staff was also very helpful, since a good amount of things were missing from the bed and lockers (e.g duvet). Overall, a very nice place to stay and rest after a long day out in Amsterdam; would definitely recommend it to a friend :D

I ended up paying more than the price that was advertized in Hostelworld.com The staff was helpful and explained why they had to charge more, but the place is an average hostel in AMS, in my opinion it was expensive and the room was small with six beds. It seems that is the standard quality for weekends in AMS.

Excellent stuff, good location, overall felling - happy

Staff was very helpful. It is a little bit away from the city center but there is a tram stop right outside that takes you anywhere you need to go. If you're not sure where something is or what to do, ask the front desk staff and they will help you! Not a super nice hostel, but it was good for the price.

• 13th Mar 2015

The hostel is in a good location, I found the staff to be extremely unhelpful compared to hostels I've stayed in before. They wouldn't even help me print off my boarding pass when I left. The place is very basic and the 10 bed dorm I stayed in definitely needs a re vamp. It's cheaper than others on the weekends. The wi fi was pretty good. I would not stay here again though.

While the staff was friendly for the most part, they would randomly come into our room with no advanced notice. Very little privacy (although that’s somewhat expected in a hostel) The location was good, but the entire surrounding area was under construction. Also, we were not informed of the additional 5% tax we would have to pay upon arrival. Our room had 2 sinks which was convenient in a 10 person dorm. Overall, a fine stay, but not the best. Would probably book another hostel next time.

• 6th Mar 2015

Far from the city center, but have public transport next. Dont hava Kitchen, only a microwave. I Recomend, because is cheap.

Thankyou to Hayim, Macarena and all the other staff - great staff, great recommendations and good cheap bfast downstairs. Good security and close to walk to everything - dank u wel for a great stay :)

I found that in Amsterdam it is tough to find a decent place. Considering those limitations Euphemia is pretty good, but I have paid much less and had better experienes in other cities. In general it was nice, I got upgraded from a 10bed to a 5bed one. But there was just one bathroom and shower and lack of fun atmosphere. But come on Amsterdam is so much fun anyway! :D

I really enjoyed my stay at Euphemia Old City Canal Zone! The stuff was really friendly, we were welcomed by very kind Spanish guy on the reception. He recommended as where to visit and kindly present the rules of the hostel. Location of the hostel is great, that's 10 minute walking distance from heart of Amsterdam. The rooms are bright and clean.

• 20th Feb 2015
  • Poland

Had a great time here not far from the centre

Very spare accommodations, no TV, but sweet people anxious to please and friendly young guests. Nice neighborhood with the tram just outside the door.

• 8th Feb 2015

Basic Hostel, nothing special about it. I didn't like the fact that there was the guy from the reception entering the room everyday to remember someone about the check out. Also, in the last day they were making some works in the Hostel and started really early (8 a.m.!!!) way before the check out hour..

Delay on train meant I arrived after 23.00 when the recepyion closes. However, the staff had set aside a key and a note with my room number, so I could find my bed and pay them in the morning. Wondeful. The bunk beds were extremely noisy, metal framed and squeaky. Lounge area good, but don't bother with breakfast if you're a veggie.

We enjoyed our stay at Euphemia Hotel. The staff was very understanding and was able to put up with 15 college kids all trying to have a good weekend! I don't remember the names of the people at the front desk but they were very helpful and acccommodating. Do try the food they offer for breakfast, it was a lovely homecooked meal. Also try the bakery around the corner on the main street! Overall, great location being out of the city center and great resources all round.

We had a good stay here. The building is old and does not look fancy. However you get good value for your money. The staff is friendly and helpful. The location is very good and yet you don't get alot of noise. Facilities are average but it's clean.

• 6th Feb 2015
  • Belgium

The Euphemia was a great location for a weekend trip to Amsterdam. While the building was older, it was very clean and comfortable to stay in. The staff was helpful and a young woman essentially gave us her personal guide to the city (it was super helpful) written out on a map based on what we were interested in. Skip the breakfast and walk 10 minutes to La Place for a 3.25 euro breakfast that includes 5 items, coffee or tea and orange juice.