Eva's Backpackers Reviews

6-8 Orwell Street, Kings Cross, Sydney, Australia

Fantastic little hostel which is great value for money. All the staff we met were very helpful and friendly, and the roof terrace had a great view of the city. Location was really convenient.

I had a great stay at Eva's. Exactly what I was looking for and I slept really well and met some friendly people. The rooftop terrace is spectacular with its views of the city! I think it's a real shame that this wasn't the social focus of the hostel.

Really clean and nice. One of the most well maintained hostels I've been to. Liz the manager was really great, the backpacker staff were not so much... A couple of them were helpful but couldn't get so much as a smile from the rest (blonde girl especially icy cold and off putting). Not a party atmosphere, better for couples or quiet groups. Location was good-quiet but close to station and shops/restaurants/bars. Was good for me as I had friends in the city. Best thing was cleanliness.

Good to meet nice people!

• 12th Mar 2015

Nice hostel in a good location. Train station is 3 minutes away and you get in the city in 20-30 minutes by walk. The rooms are clean, but small. In every room are big lockers, so you can store your luggage in. The bathrooms are also good and tiny. And the woman, cleaning the bathrooms, is very friendly. All over I had a good stay in this hostel. But I cannot really say anything about the public rooms or the kitchen.

• 8th Mar 2015

Very friendly staff. Lovely location. Rooms little to Small.

• 5th Mar 2015

Best hostel I have stayed in Australia!

• 3rd Mar 2015

Great value, the staff is friendly. The whole place feels more like a very big house. Freebies once during the week such as pizza or waffles. Also towels included!

We loved Eva's. Great location in Kings Cross. Even though it's the red light district we felt very safe. The hostel was clean and very friendly. We stayed in an all female room and it was perfect. The only thing that I could say would have made it better would have been air conditioning as it did get quite hot at night.

• 18th Feb 2015

Great hostel on the outskirts of King's Cross. Don't let that stop you going. It's safe and a five minute walk to the railway station. Rushcutters Bay Park is 5 mins away too and if you want to walk it, the opera house is 30 mins away. Super clean bathrooms kept clean all day by lovely cleaning staff. Only downer is the rather small kitchen which gets very busy and cramped. Choose the time you eat and it's fine! Our room had aircon. I can imagine it gets warm without it. Staff are helpful too.

Eva's is near Kings Cross, a suburb known as the drugs and red light capital of Australia, so I was really surprised (positively) to find such a calm, warm and cozy environment at the hostel. The bathrooms were very clean, the kitchen was kept neat and tidy by all the guests and the staff was friendly and helpful. I enjoyed chilling in the amazing rooftop and sharing laughs, stories and thoughts with other travelers. The atmosphere was just unique.... I'll recommend it to anyone!!

• 5th Feb 2015

Had a great time at the hostel, definitely one of the better hostels I've had the pleasure of staying at.

• 4th Feb 2015

Rooms and stairways could do with painting - they are kept very clean but need updating Bathrooms are probably the cleanest I have seen in a hostel. Wifi could perhaps do with being extended to the whole building Otherwise a very reasonable place to stay and I would definitely recommend it to others.

• 28th Jan 2015

We stayed there our first days of migration to Australia. I believe no elsewhere could have such good impact of first glance of a new living country.

• 7th Jan 2015
  • Iran

You always read: It is the cleanest - and you are right: The Eucuadorian Lady, who takes care of the facilities is very caring, friendly and worth the money...:),who nice is that to be called by name in the morning by her, waking up in a foreign country. The rooms are small, no A/C, but the very responsible staff makes you feel very welcomed and secure all the time. Within the epic-center of the backpackers area, but GREAT possibilities from there to the shore to walk, run, bike..GO THERE!

Lovely little backpackers, centrally located to Kings Cross main street and area. Rooms could do with a bit of cosmetic updating but rooms and bathrooms were clean and beds were comfy. Only thing I didn't like was to do with fellow guests who were smoking weed outside the front of the hostel when I returned one night. No fault of the Hostel.

I want to stay again! I recommend it.

• 20th Dec 2014
  • Japan

We met three staff members during our stay there. Two were pretty nice but one was incredibly condescending and rude when I inquired about upgrading rooms. Also, our group got bit many times by bed bugs. I'm somewhat surprised that this is an issue in a modern city. Dirtiest hostel I've ever stayed at, and I've been to Brazil, Malaysia, etc. Completely disappointed and never coming back again. First time I did not enjoyed my stay at a hostel.

itching.... there was something in the room what was biting and itching.. besides that they made a mistake in the system so at night people came into our room thinking they booked the room and later on also the manager. it was sorted out but the manager came in with the key instead of waiting that we opened the door. He knew is was occupied. That was not a good service. So I don't recommend the family room on the firts floor. The bathroom was rather clean.

• 26th Nov 2014

The hostel was ok, however the staff was not very friendly in the beginning. We were very tired after our trip and even though we arrived 10 minutes before the reception schedule had finished we were told their shift had ended. Then we had to wait for someone else to help us out and we were really not in the mood for that. Otherwise things were ok, even though I did not feel like the atmosphere was as good as in other hostels I stayed at.

• 20th Nov 2014