Eva's Backpackers Reviews

6-8 Orwell Street, Kings Cross, Sydney, Australia

We met three staff members during our stay there. Two were pretty nice but one was incredibly condescending and rude when I inquired about upgrading rooms. Also, our group got bit many times by bed bugs. I'm somewhat surprised that this is an issue in a modern city. Dirtiest hostel I've ever stayed at, and I've been to Brazil, Malaysia, etc. Completely disappointed and never coming back again. First time I did not enjoyed my stay at a hostel.

itching.... there was something in the room what was biting and itching.. besides that they made a mistake in the system so at night people came into our room thinking they booked the room and later on also the manager. it was sorted out but the manager came in with the key instead of waiting that we opened the door. He knew is was occupied. That was not a good service. So I don't recommend the family room on the firts floor. The bathroom was rather clean.

• 26th Nov 2014

The hostel was ok, however the staff was not very friendly in the beginning. We were very tired after our trip and even though we arrived 10 minutes before the reception schedule had finished we were told their shift had ended. Then we had to wait for someone else to help us out and we were really not in the mood for that. Otherwise things were ok, even though I did not feel like the atmosphere was as good as in other hostels I stayed at.

• 20th Nov 2014
  • Romania

Great place to just get your head down. Ensuite room was pretty clean. Not the most social place but definitely clean and good location.

Great hostel in a great location. Close to shops, bars, restaurants, the botanical gardens and the main harbour area. Staff were helpful and knowledgeable. Rooms were a good size and was glad of good A/C. Bathrooms were big and clean. Only downsides were that although there were lockers in the rooms, they were not very secure and no safe in the room for valuables. Also the communal area and kitchen was very small and difficult to cook in if more than 1 person at a time. Would stay again.

everything is good , just too noise in weekend

• 13th Nov 2014
  • Hong Kong

Alright hostel in decent location

Cozy hostel in a great location. Wifi wasn't that great, other things to make up for it though. Like free waffle morning :)

Nice staff, easy going people.

• 21st Oct 2014
  • Norway

Overall it's a fine place to stay. A few negatives tho: In the 10bed room there is only 8 lockers, so you might not get one. The room was quite messy everyday, but I think that's because the people living there were slobs. My comforter had some mite type bugs, but I feel them in about half the hostels I go to. The free wifi did not work at all on my computer so I had to pay for wifi. The bathrooms were nice and clean. The rooftop is a great hangout spot.

The hostel is really nice with a good equiped kitchen witch is having a fire place for the cold days. The staff is nice and helpful and the bathrooms where always clean. The location in kings cross is okay, it takes approx. 20 Min by foot reaching the pedestrian street, you can always take the train for 2 stops. Best thing about the hostel: the roof top with an amazing view over the Sydney skyline, especially by night.

The double room was small but clean and perfect for what we needed. The Bathrooms were really well looked after and they were private unlike some other hostels. It is areally clean and friendly place to stay. Location was great, only a 5 minute walk to the train station and 20 min walk to city. Also a short walk to a lovely park

• 27th Sep 2014

Spacious rooms, comfy beds thoroughly cleaned daily. Good cooking facilities. Friendly and helpful staff. Easy to reach location. Quiet at night. I have returned for a second stay.

• 21st Sep 2014
  • Scotland

Wonderful stay, thank you Liz for being so helpful!

Great hostel! Very friendly and comfortable! Loved it!

• 16th Sep 2014

This is really more a place for long term and working-holiday people than for those just passing through, but it's a nice place to stay. Free towels and wifi (though only in the common areas), near a train station, close to tons of bars, yet far enough away to not be loud. The rooftop was amazing! And, if you want, you can hike the 20-30 minutes to the city center and skip public transport.

Nice hostel, clean, good situated, free tea/coffee all day and sometimes even free waffles for breakfast! Liked our stay!

Staff really friendly and helpful! The hostel is fairly out the way to the city by day but is near a range of bars and clubs for the evening ! The kitchen and tv area is rather small considering how many people they have to stay! The room are rather dates but still fairly comfortable ! Toilets and showers where homely. Overall an average stay.

Stayed here for 3 days having previously lived in Sydney. Having lived here, I know the reputation and what to expect from kings cross, which basically isn't very nice. Chose Eva's as it was away from darlinghurst road but still central enough. Very clean with a good kitchen. Bathrooms and beds both excellent meaning we had an enjoyable stay here. Excellent hostel.

Free Shuttle from Sydney Airport because we stayed more than 3 days, if not 15$ each. Clean toilets and showers. Too small possibilities for the luggage in the room. Kitchen good, but sometimes very full. Nice and helpfull staff. Free wifi but sometimes very slowly. In the room very cold and loud because the windows did not really close, but had enough blankets for the night. Free towels.

• 20th Aug 2014