FRESH @ The Crown, Clapham Reviews

102 Lavender Hill, Battersea, London, England

Very friendly staff and good breakfast. Rooms were cramped and difficult to sleep in due to the heat and noise from outside. Cheap hostel though for London.

Honestly, this is the first hostel which makes me give a negative feedback on its management. First of all, I got offered my room and my bed when I checked-in. I placed my belongings on my bed when I left the second day I stayed there. After I went back to my room and wanted to sleep, I found my bed got occupied by another person, she said the staff swapped my bed for her because someone was sleeping on her bed already. And no notice was given from the staff and compensation for this movement.

Very good hostel, excellent facilities and breakfast. The location is terrible, even if you take the overground.

Not the best location, but we didn't mind too much, considering how clean the bathrooms were. The beds were a little hard to climb up but all in all it was a nice place. Loved the bar and the music.

• 13th Jul 2013
  • South Korea

I would defiantly stay here again. Buses right out the front to take you to the station. Parks close by. Good secutiry as you need a pin to get upto the rooms and then another pin to get into your room. I could see the London eye from my bed as I was on the top of the 3 level bunks. Only negative was I was there when London had its heat wave and the room turns into a sauna. I would recommend a portable fan just to move the air around.

Perfectly fine hostel. Nothing impressive, but nothing poor either. The worst part about this hostel is it's location (you're a good ways away from the major attractions), however there is a bus stop right outside, and Lavender Hill, while not exactly a tourist spot, has a nice selection of shops and places to eat. The access to the luggage room wasn't always locked, but this seems to be pretty standard across most hostels. No common room, but the bar downstairs is a nice place to hang out.

• 11th Jul 2013

Very clean floor, nice bed, friendly staff, quite environment, pretty breakfast with TV news. :)

Really enjoyed my stay at this hostel; ended up staying here for three weeks. Doesn't have the facilities of a kitchen or space to chill out other than your bunk or in the pub downstairs but the awesome staff and fun atmosphere make up for that. Rooms are very clean, likewise for the bathrooms but depends on how considerate the other visitors are...

• 8th Jul 2013

This is a hostel located above a pub. The location is not good for people who are looking to stay in a central area of London. I had to walk a long time (it is when you are with bags) to reach the hostel after arriving in Clapham Junction train station. When I saw the room I declined the stay. It was dirty, bad ventilated and the atmosphere was not very welcoming. Don't recommend to anyone.

• 6th Jul 2013

This was my first hostel experience so I don't have anything to compare it to, but it went pretty smoothly. Very quiet inside the hostel, there was some street noise though but nothing major. I kept my things in a locker but other people left their bags out and didn't seem to have any issues with theft. Had to wait for a shower one morning but only for about 10 minutes. Facilities kept very well. Staff was extremely nice and helpful. Okay location - about 15 minute walk from the train.

• 4th Jul 2013

Very comfortable and clean, with helpful and friendly staff.

• 4th Jul 2013
  • Scotland

Hostelworld said there were tea and coffee making facilities - in actual fact, there were not, as apparently providing breakfast covered this. I consider this to be utter nonsense, and misleading for the client who has to leave damn early.

The hostel was good, clean, safe, triple bunk beds very high, I was on the top, but I could manage get up there even in the dark. Some bed lights and a small shelf beside each bed would be a good plus!

love this hostel. i loved the staff. they were amazing. the red headed Australian girl, the guy from spain with the pony tail and beard and the girl from spain with the recent haircut to her shoulders.. they were so amazing. made me laugh and we overly helpful with directions and places to go and visit in london. the hostel was nice and clean. i stayed at a hostel prior to this one and it was repulsive, so this one was amazing for the money you put in. its even cleaner than some hotels u stay at

located above a beautifully refurbished pub, the hostel is new and has 3 tier bunks in dorm rooms for an excellent price. internet works in the dorm. clapham junction overground station is a short stroll away and it is only a few stops from there to the city centre. there is a 24 hour aldi supermarket close by. breakfast was really good providing a choice of cereals, tea coffee and hot chocolate, toast with lots of toppings

Very nice guy running this place, top location too. not many people about but maybe i was just unlucky

no kitchen, no designated common area, staff member I met seemed drunk and/or hungover. Free breakfast was over an hour late. Where did all those good reviews come from?

Dont just follow the address number if you are a new visitor. You will see a pub around the address, and thats it! Just go inside and talk to the staff in bar. Also if you have day/weekly pass in your oyster card, just take bus to reach this hostel. If you know how to take buses in London, then just change from Vaxhall bus station, there is no need to reach Claphen junction, where is only good and saver if mainly using train.

We stayed just for one night and were ready for terrible hostel for this money in walking distance from city centre. But everything was suprisingly good! Clean and quiet place, friendly staff and pub downstairs for those who fancy some fan. Would definitely recommend!

• 18th Jun 2013
  • Czech Republic

first we thought there must be a catch since the price was so low, but it turned out to be a calm, clean & comfortable place to stay in. staff was helpful, but sort of let you be which was perfect for our nordic personalities. the only complaint is that there was no kitchen or any place where to sit down and make a sandwich. there is the bar downstairs, but you know.. seems like the place is for sleeping only, which also makes the place quiet and peaceful. anyway, totally the money's worth!

• 18th Jun 2013