FRESH @ The Great Eastern, Docklands Reviews

1 Glenaffric Avenue, London, England

The hostel is clean, beds are comfortable and the bar in the reception is very nice. Though, the lockers in the room are very small

I had a wonderful one-week stay at the Great Eastern. All of the staff were very kind, and the hostel itself was very clean. The only downside is the absence of a kitchen, but that is a good excuse to get take away every day. Thanks again for a great week!

• 11th Sep 2013

I liked the hostel. The breakfast is really additional value.

• 9th Sep 2013
  • Slovakia

Nice Hostel, in a good location despite what people are saying, it's 33 mins away from Oxford Circus by DLR. The bar however closes at 11pm and after that the place seemed pretty quiet, not the most sociable of environments but I only stayed one night so perhaps I was just unlucky. You get the key codes for the doors rather than a key/fob which can be annoying as you have to remember them/keep the slip of paper you get at check-in. Otherwise beds are good, clean hostel and good priced for London

The hostel lost our booking but managed to find us a room in the end. Staff are really more bar staff rather than hostel staff. Don't seem too interested to help unless you are in the bar drinking/eating/spending money. Facilities are clean and adequate. Triple bunk bed mattresses are a little thin.

The rooms are clean (but small, noisy and very sparsely equipped) and secure (seperate door codes for the entrance and for each room). You can sit in a nice Lounge with free WiFI next to the Pub. Breakfast is included (Toast/Cornflakes + Coffee/black Tee). The staff is very friendly. BUT: Just about everything else costs extra!! I was pretty sick and asked for herbal infusion instead of black tee for breakfast and I had to pay 1,60. There is NO KITCHEN, not even a kettle.

• 23rd Aug 2013

The staff was friendly, even when we were being difficult (in that my mother left her passport at my house in Nottingham; and they were so kind as to let us get it scanned and emailed to them within a couple of hours). They also gave us a chance to room together (when we booked, we booked separate rooms). The breakfast offered (tea and toast, or milk and cereal) was filling, the rooms and bathrooms clean. The proximity to the tube (just five minutes down the road) didn't hurt, either.

• 14th Aug 2013

Definitely the best hostel I've stayed in Europe. Not only was the staff friendly but also was the atmosphere. They were also nice to me. Very comfortable and although it's not located in london centre it's easily reachable by the DLR and the Underground. The italian receptionist was very nice to me. He was also eager to help everyone and fully at our disposal.

• 11th Aug 2013
  • Argentina

An enjoyable place to stay..friendly staff and a nice relaxed atmosphere in the pub/lounge area downstairs, with good beer and food available.The room was all you need and expect from an affordable hostel, clean and comfortable..good security with coded doors and lockers available in the room. Great Hostel (handy for the O2 aswell!)

• 4th Aug 2013

I think if there is written that ADAPTOR, and LOCKER is one of the facilities, then this means these are for free... There was no adaptor, just a possibility to buy it for 3 pounds, and padlocks for 4. But for this price it was alltogether okay.

• 2nd Aug 2013
  • Hungary

small, quite hostel, super close to the DLR which connects with the jubilee line. shared a bed dorm, very basic but if its a clean, safe bed your looking for to use as a base to explore London on a budget then this ticks the boxes, staff are friendly too

• 1st Aug 2013

I was leaving th in the mixed big dormitorium. It was good that we had more space than in other dormitorium, but we had to store our luggages on the floor. It would increase your value to make a simple metal shelf next to bed thorugh three level. It would make muck more secure and comfortable for us.(You have space for that!) I am 63 years old. I got the third level. At first sight it was scarrying forme, but then I solved it . If it possible you should take into account the age where to put you

The hostel ir really far, takes about 30-40 minutes to reach city center, the prices are really high, I know eveything in London is expensive but it has almost the same prices as it was a restaurant/bar in city center. they have adaptors but they sell them at high price, also half of the electricity sockets in the lobby dont work. three floor beds are not comfortable. You may save a few bucks cause is cheap, but at the end is not worth it, better pay 3 or 4 pounds more to stay in a better place

I loved staying here. It was my first stay in a hostel and I was impressed. Close to Greenwich

To put the location of this hostel in perspective: it is so far out of London, that it's not even on the map they provide you with of the city! It is simply too far from Central London to overlook. The downstairs pub has potential, but it is extremely reserved and not a great place to go wild with other backpackers. Greenwich is very close, however, and is a beautiful town. Staff are average. Price is its only upside, better to splurge and go elsewhere in my opinion.

Had a great stay the staff were fantastic real friendly and helpful

Great experience, great hostel... Problem is that there is no kitchen

A really nice hostel - but there is quite a cost involved in travelling from there to London return everyday - so if you want to stay in London but not have a lot of travelling cost - stay in London itself.

There is no warm water in the shower. Other than that it was a great place to stay in London, easy to get to by the tube and great beds. It doesn't have your typical hostel feel, where it's very easy to meet other travelers but that was not an issue for me. The staff were really helpful, especially when I locked my keys inside the locker. I would stay here again!

Shower was freezing cold and would not get hot. Sink was full of hair and was not cleaned promptly. Lock on the door to the room was temperamental. Bed was wobbly and squeaked.

• 6th Jul 2013