FRESH @ The Great Eastern, Docklands Reviews

1 Glenaffric Avenue, London, England

Good place, but we must pay for the locks (£ 4,00) and outlet adapters (£ 3,00). Good bed and good breakfast. The shower is not so good, a little dirty. Little far and you need metro for the tourism places. The staff is not experience.

Fantastic experience. This is the first hostel I've ever stayed in and it exceeded my expectations in almost every way. It was cleaned daily, and I would say the overall cleanliness is on par with most hotels. However, the best part has to be the staff and atmosphere. Jack behind the bar is an absolute champion of customer service, and is also a really cool guy. If you're ok with a 30-45 minute commute to the center of London, there is no better place to stay. Highly recommend for the price.

The hostel was a good value for money, although the triple bunks were a tight squeeze and some chairs in the rooms would have been beneficial.

• 29th Sep 2013

Bartender (Jack) at night was quite personable.

• 27th Sep 2013

Pretty good hostel except that it's super far from the city which gets expensive quickly. Also the beds weren't that comfortable and were triple bunk beds which were hard to get in and out of. Finally, our room was freezing at night because we wouldn't close the window all the way.

No kitchen for guest use.

The hostel is great, very clean and with very nice staff. It would be ideal if more toilets and showers were present as at peak times e.g. 7-9 AM they can be crowded, nevertheless they are very clean. Even if the hostel is not close to the centre, the Underground is very close and moving around really easy.

Nothing special about the place. The lounge dowstairs is certainly nice but the room are very basic and you cannot spend your time there as the triple beds make it unable for anyone to sit on them (you can only lie). The Internet is quite slow. Another thing is the location. It's too far from the centre and doesn't feel very safe but that's just my personal feeling. Chances are I won't be coming back.

The hostel is clean, beds are comfortable and the bar in the reception is very nice. Though, the lockers in the room are very small

I had a wonderful one-week stay at the Great Eastern. All of the staff were very kind, and the hostel itself was very clean. The only downside is the absence of a kitchen, but that is a good excuse to get take away every day. Thanks again for a great week!

• 11th Sep 2013

I liked the hostel. The breakfast is really additional value.

• 9th Sep 2013
  • Slovakia

never again

Nice Hostel, in a good location despite what people are saying, it's 33 mins away from Oxford Circus by DLR. The bar however closes at 11pm and after that the place seemed pretty quiet, not the most sociable of environments but I only stayed one night so perhaps I was just unlucky. You get the key codes for the doors rather than a key/fob which can be annoying as you have to remember them/keep the slip of paper you get at check-in. Otherwise beds are good, clean hostel and good priced for London

The hostel lost our booking but managed to find us a room in the end. Staff are really more bar staff rather than hostel staff. Don't seem too interested to help unless you are in the bar drinking/eating/spending money. Facilities are clean and adequate. Triple bunk bed mattresses are a little thin.

The rooms are clean (but small, noisy and very sparsely equipped) and secure (seperate door codes for the entrance and for each room). You can sit in a nice Lounge with free WiFI next to the Pub. Breakfast is included (Toast/Cornflakes + Coffee/black Tee). The staff is very friendly. BUT: Just about everything else costs extra!! I was pretty sick and asked for herbal infusion instead of black tee for breakfast and I had to pay 1,60. There is NO KITCHEN, not even a kettle.

• 23rd Aug 2013

The staff was friendly, even when we were being difficult (in that my mother left her passport at my house in Nottingham; and they were so kind as to let us get it scanned and emailed to them within a couple of hours). They also gave us a chance to room together (when we booked, we booked separate rooms). The breakfast offered (tea and toast, or milk and cereal) was filling, the rooms and bathrooms clean. The proximity to the tube (just five minutes down the road) didn't hurt, either.

• 14th Aug 2013

Definitely the best hostel I've stayed in Europe. Not only was the staff friendly but also was the atmosphere. They were also nice to me. Very comfortable and although it's not located in london centre it's easily reachable by the DLR and the Underground. The italian receptionist was very nice to me. He was also eager to help everyone and fully at our disposal.

• 11th Aug 2013
  • Argentina

An enjoyable place to stay..friendly staff and a nice relaxed atmosphere in the pub/lounge area downstairs, with good beer and food available.The room was all you need and expect from an affordable hostel, clean and comfortable..good security with coded doors and lockers available in the room. Great Hostel (handy for the O2 aswell!)

• 4th Aug 2013

I think if there is written that ADAPTOR, and LOCKER is one of the facilities, then this means these are for free... There was no adaptor, just a possibility to buy it for 3 pounds, and padlocks for 4. But for this price it was alltogether okay.

• 2nd Aug 2013
  • Hungary

small, quite hostel, super close to the DLR which connects with the jubilee line. shared a bed dorm, very basic but if its a clean, safe bed your looking for to use as a base to explore London on a budget then this ticks the boxes, staff are friendly too