FRESH @ The Steam Engine, Waterloo Reviews

41-42 Cosser St, London, England

I booked this based on location and value, I dont normally book hostel rooms with 6 or more beds, the room I was in had 12 all tho the room was small it felt cozy! the room had good bedding and nice heating, individual safes in the room and down stairs in the storage room. staff were friendly and helpful. GREAT location walking distance to most attractions. Very clean and the bar atmosphere was nice and happy hour made it nice on the change purse too. Over all I would book this place again.

• 22nd Mar 2013

The rooms were very crowded and there were only 2 toilets for all visitors. But all in all we had a good time there!

The Steam Engine staff were very nice and welcomed us to the hostel. They were pleasant. The hostel itself was good for the price, the internet worked perfectly, and the bar on the first floor was a nice addition. The rooms however were very tight, and the bathrooms were not always very clean. More round the clock cleaning of the bedrooms and bathrooms would have been preferred.

• 18th Mar 2013

The hostel is nice, secure and the staff is very nice. But there are only one bathroom for 15-20 beds, and there is not always hot water... I had only one night there, and one shower, but at the end, there were no water anymore! The location is nice because it is close from the metro and also you can go by foot to westminster and to the london eye (10-15mn), but it is not right in the center. The breakfast is basic, but for the price, it is ok.

Our first stay in a London hostel and we loved the experience. We didn't catch the tube at all while there because its in walking distance to all the major attractions you want to see in London. The wifi worked well in both the bar as well as the rooms. A free breakfast is a BONUS! Good basic food to get you started for the day. All the staff we dealt with were lovely! Beds are warm, soft and comfy! A good place for a good nights sleep! Would easily stay again! Thanks guys!

The hostel was great. The staff was the best part, so nice and helpful. The location was close to a lot of sites that we wanted to see like Big Ben and the Eye. I however did not like the bathroom in the hostel. It wasn't very clean and it was almost always occupied.

• 14th Mar 2013

Hostel has 40 beds and 2 toilets and 2 showers. Which causes absolute mayhem and waiting in the mornings. The bunk beds are 3 layers. The lowest one is virtually on the floor, than another, and the highest is almost touching the ceiling. Due to the high number of beds in such a small area te rooms tend to e extremely smelly and muggy. Rooms are extremely small and cramped. Absolutely no room to put backpack or any bags. People were tripping over everyone's things, complete chaos.

Staff very friendly and helpful. The location is absolutely perfect, quick walk to Big Ben, London Eye, Westminster Abbey and next to a tube station. Very safe with codes for opening the doors, you just have to bring your own padlock for the lockers. Pub downstairs is great! Rooms are simple and small, but who cares... is just for sleeping anyway.

It was nice. Easygoing.

Nice place, in a quite area of London. Gianluca is very kind and helpful. Nice athmosphere at the pub downstair. I think over the british stadards for the hostels.

It was located above a bar, so it was a little noisy sometimes in the evenings (but not enough to prevent me from sleeping). There were only 2 toilets and 2 showers which I expected to be a problem, but I only ended up waiting for a shower once (and only for 5 minutes). Rooms and bathrooms were clean, but the water in the showers was too hot and there was no way to turn it down. Overall a pretty decent hostel, close to the underground and good price.

Loved my three days at the Steam Engine! little size but a big heart and a lot of character and intimacy. Daisy was great in making my friend and I feel comfortable and welcome on day 1, and Albert and Martina were great the rest of the days! definitely will return someday.

They have 3 bed bunks, so it's a little awkward trying to get into the tiny bottom one. The bathroom facilities were small (two toilets for six rooms) and I felt I had no privacy. The bar downstairs was very friendly though and had great character, also close to the tube station so it was fairly easy to get around.

martina,tomas and co worked like slaves to make me feel at home--mountains of breakfast food--good entertainment right class of customer both local and guests

Really nice staff

• 23rd Feb 2013
  • Finland

A nice experience. Great staff, who has the spirit of a young traveler. Most of them are from outside UK. A "must be there" with a great location.

• 20th Feb 2013
  • Portugal

The staff is very helpful, the pub downstairs has a great atmosphere. It is a great place! Tomaz, a guy from the staff was specially friendly and pleasant! Thank you for everything Steam Engine!

The Best!

• 19th Feb 2013

The hostel is located above a very cool little pub, very close to Lambeth North tube station which means great public transport access! We enjoyed our stay, the only dampeners were that the room was a little cramped, especially with 3 level bunks meaning we were crammed in!

The average experience was good, although -The pub at the hostel is good, is a good place to have the first drink of the night. -The 12 people bedroom are too tight, four 3-level bunks, and there is almost no space to leave anything, at least our room has a shower indoors, but the lockers were in the corridor. -The lockers are small, just to put in some valuables inside. -Showers and WC are quite short ( they were clean). -There were not lockers for everyone upstairs.